"What can I get you?" The waitress asked.

                "Hmmm....I'm famished. I will have two eggs scrambled, three pieces of bacon, toast, hash browns, two pancakes, and a cup of coffee." Madison ordered.

                Josh laughed.

                "I will have the same." The waitress took the menus and smiled at Josh flirtatiously.

                "I'm sure she would love to serve you something more." Madison laughed. "Oh, Josh, come stir my grits."

                Josh laughed as he took her hands in his.

                "Your grits are the only ones I want to stir." He kissed her hands. "Madison?"

                "Yes, Josh."

                "Do you ever wonder what would have happened? If we had the baby."

                "Let's not dwell on that. It can't be changed. Let's just focus on now." Madison looked out the window.

                "I want to talk about it." He turned her face towards him. "I need to talk about it."

                Madison didn't like bringing the baby up but she could see the pain in his eyes.

                "What happened to our baby?" He asked solemnly.

                "She was stillborn. I didn't feel her moving the day before. I was told that sometimes you don't feel the baby move but it doesn't mean something is wrong. Then when I still didn't feel her the next day, I tried to call you. You didn't answer your phone. I tried several times but you never answered. So I called Lance. He came right over and drove me to the hospital. He tried to call you, too, but still no answer. The cord was wrapped around the baby's neck and she had died. They performed a C-section and Lance drove me back home a week later. You were gone."

                "Madison, I'm so sorry. I should have been there." He looked down at their hands. The waitress came over with their food.

                "Stop apologizing. Things happened as they should. You weren't ready for all of that and maybe I wasn't either."

                "Yea. Maybe. So enough of that. What is the plan today?" Josh asked as he began eating.

                "I don't know. How about I show you around town? There's not much to it but it has its charm."

                "Well, you're from here so it must be great." He winked.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc hospital