Author's Chapter Notes:
Maggie can't get Blue Eyes out of her mind, but a family dinner awaits when she gets home. Can she survive a night with her family without thinking about the handsome stranger?

~~~~~*~~~~~

By the time Maggie left work that evening it was dark outside and the wind had picked up making it feel a lot colder. She wrapped her black duffel coat around her and lowered her chin so that her scarf and hood were covering most of her face. Although she’d only been outside a few seconds, her eyes had already begun to water.

Maggie wiped at her eyes and let out a soft huff causing her breath to billow out of her mouth in a cloud of white. It was beautiful outside–that she absolutely couldn’t deny–but sometimes she wished that the beauty didn’t come at the price of freezing her butt off.

There was a small parking lot at the end of Main Street where Maggie usually parked her car, but she’d have to endure a wintery walk before she could safely tuck herself inside and whack up the heater. She wrapped her arms tighter around her body and dipped forward into the wind. Although the sidewalks were swept and gritted daily, by evening there were usually at least a few inches of snow compacted along the paths. Maggie knew from experience that even if the way looked clear there could still be patches of black ice underfoot.

It was during this daily walk to her car in the evening that Maggie’s mind usually ran over the events of the day. Today, unsurprisingly, she was absorbed by the piercing pair of blue eyes that still seemed ingrained in her memory.

Maggie didn’t have to concentrate too much on her drive home. Once she turned right at the end of Main Street, then took a left half way along Second Street, she need only follow the road until she reached the partially hidden entrance to her family’s land. Like the bakery, the family home–a traditional ranch style house partially built in brick and wood–had been passed down from her great-grandfather.

Maggie pulled up alongside her brother in law’s burgundy truck and let out a groan. There could only be one reason her sister’s family was over and it wasn’t because of the weather. She’d completely forgotten that it was family dinner night.

On any other night Maggie wouldn’t have objected, but tonight the last thing she wanted to do was be surrounded by her noisy, nosey family. She wanted to hide away in her room and think about the piercing pair of eyes she couldn’t get out of her mind. Tonight she wanted to be someone other than Maggie Little, who worked in her family’s bakery. Tonight everything felt different.

She felt different.

She couldn’t put her finger on it, but somehow everything in her life seemed a little less interesting than it had before. Her car, which she loved, seemed more run down and in need of a paint job. The family home, which to most people’s standards would have seemed idyllic, was nothing but the place she lived in with her parents. And her job, which usually gave her such satisfaction, just didn’t seem to have the same appeal it had the day before. Life seemed a little duller all round.

It felt as though she were having an out of body experience, seeing everything from an outsider’s point of view.

An outsider with blue eyes, maybe.

Maggie let out a sigh, shut off the engine and opened the driver’s side door. At once the cold wind struck her, and she tightened her scarf around her face to stop it biting at her already chapped cheeks. Just a few more minutes and she’d be in the warm, she told herself as she fought against the wind to slam the driver’s door closed. She’d get through dinner and then disappear off to her room to snuggle under her duvet and watch a movie. It was hardly exciting evening plans, but at least she wouldn’t have to venture back out into the cold.

Maggie unlocked the front door and trudged inside. The treads in her boots were compacted with snow and they squeaked as she crossed the hall to hang her coat on the rack beside the numerous other coats drying in the warm air. The hallway was always a cozy place to be. Usually because it was one of the first rooms her mother decorated before Christmas. She always said that it was important to provide a welcoming environment to a home, and boy did she try her best to do just that.

There were garlands of holly and green foliage wound around the wooden railings of the staircase all the way to the second floor. Intertwined in this was the occasional red satin ribbon, slices of air-dried orange and apple and gold baubles in various sizes, some matt and some glossy. In front of the large window that overlooked the front drive was a candle arch with its soft yellow glow reflecting in the glass. It had been sitting in that same position every Christmas for as long as Maggie could remember, and the sight of it alone helped to raise her spirits a little.

And, of course, there was the huge fir tree that dominated the space besides the staircase. Although it was currently empty of presents underneath its branches, it wasn’t lacking in Christmas spirit. It was packed with different colored decorations, some that had been passed down through the generations, and some purchased as recently as that week. There was barely a space to add anything else to the tree, but that was just how the Little family liked it. It was busy and colorful, but full of sentimental value.

Maggie shook off her snow flecked hat and scarf and hung them on the same hook as her coat. Fluffing out her long, curly hair she then tore off her gloves and stuffed them into the nearest pocket on her coat. They probably needed drying out properly before putting away but she didn’t care. She’d find a fresh, dry pair to wear tomorrow.

Telling herself to get a grip and put aside whatever melancholy mood had taken over her, Maggie let out a deep breath and attempted to fix a somewhat contented smile on her face. She really had no reason to be unhappy, she told herself. So a handsome stranger had walked in and then straight out of her life– so what? At least his appearance had added some interest to an otherwise standard, busy day.

“Aunt Maggie! Aunt Maggie! Look what I made in school!”

Maggie had just about wheedled out of her boots before her nephew, Max, shoved a colorful piece of paper into her hand. She wobbled slightly to catch her balance and dropped the boots loudly onto the wooden floor so she could scoop him up into her arms.

He was really getting too big–not to mention heavy–for being carried around, but she couldn’t resist occasionally. There was something about his big brown eyes and blond curls that made it almost impossible for her to refuse a cuddle.

“It’s my Christmas presents,” Max explained with a toothy grin as Maggie tried not to crumple his picture in her hand. She had a closer look at the drawing, but couldn’t make out anything in the smudges of different colored paints and sparkly glitter glue. Now that Christmas was approaching, the kindergarten teachers seemed to be bringing out the messy craft activities, and Max was enjoying the chance to express himself. However, a talent for art he clearly did not have.

“Christmas presents?” Maggie teased giving him a tickle under the ribs which made him shriek and giggle. “Who says you’re getting presents this year?” She ran a hand through a few of his messier curls to smooth them, and as she did so she let out an unconscious sigh which caused Max to gaze at her in surprise.

Maggie caught his eye and quickly pulled a funny face. “So family dinner, huh?” she said, her mouth pulling up into a crooked smile.

“Yup. Nanny's made beef stew, and daddy said if I eat all the vegetables I can have a chocolate decoration from the tree.”

Maggie sniggered. They both knew he’d be getting a chocolate decoration whether he ate his dinner or not. That was just how it worked in their family– the little boys practically got away with anything.

“Hi honey,” Maggie’s mom, Kate, said as she spotted Maggie in the doorway. She flashed a quick smile at her daughter before continuing to pour steaming portions of stew into bowls. Maggie lowered Max to his feet and watched as he scampered across the room to find an empty place at the table.

“Hello,” Maggie said as she gave a general wave at the faces gathered around the dining table. As predicted her sister and brother in law were there along with their eldest son, Austin. Austin was almost twelve and spent most of his time with a semi-permanent frown on his face. He was in the phase of using grunts instead of words, and because of this Maggie rarely knew what to say to him. She reached out and ruffled his hair slightly as she passed, enjoying the look of irritation that crossed his young face.

“Just in time,” Maggie’s dad, Greg, said as she found a spare seat at the large, wooden table. As usual for the time of year, the faded Christmas placemats that Kate put out every year were positioned before each chair along with the garishly painted clay napkin holders that Maggie and her sister had made years ago. They, too, were faded and the varnish flaking, but Kate insisted on using them year after year regardless.

“You’re home late, girly,” Greg said as he sat next to Maggie and immediately reached for the pile of bread rolls from the bowl in the center of the table. “Busy afternoon? You should’ve called and I’d have come back.”

Maggie met her dad’s eyes and shook her head. She didn’t really want to explain why she was late home. In fact, she hadn’t realized that she was late until he mentioned it. She guessed that she must have been dawdling on her way home. “No,” she said, unsure of what to say. “I just had some trouble starting the car. It was actually quiet after you left.”

“At least you’ve got a hot dinner to come home to,” her mom said with a smile as she placed a steaming bowl of stew in front of her and took her place at the table. Maggie had to agree. It was one benefit of still living at home; although she needed reminding of that now and again.

“If you’re having trouble with the car I can take a look at it,” Scotty, her brother in law, offered through a mouthful of stew. He was a wannabe mechanic, and although he had no actual training, he was pretty good at fixing up cars. Maggie immediately felt bad for using her car as an excuse for her tardiness. It felt almost a betrayal after all the years of reliability it had given her.

“No, it’s okay,” she said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “I think it was just a blip.”

“Okay…” Scotty said, flicking his eyes at Maggie’s sister, Gem, in a way that said he didn’t quite believe her. Maggie tried not to get irritated by his tone and the way he always insinuated that no one but he knew anything about cars. She’d been driving her trusty Honda for almost three years, and she felt she knew it better than anyone. She certainly knew enough to know when there was something wrong with it.

“You better take care of that car,” Maggie’s mother said as she flashed Maggie a stern look, “I don’t want you getting stranded somewhere, especially in the snow. Maybe you should take Scotty up on his offer? It couldn’t hurt.”

“Like I said,” Maggie replied, trying to keep the bite out of her words. “It was just a blip. There’s really nothing wrong with my car.” Maggie glanced sideways at her dad, but he was deliberately keeping his eyes fixed on his bowl as he continued to spoon food into his mouth. Usually he jumped to her defense when the family ganged up on her, but he either agreed with them, or just didn’t want to get involved this time.

“Mags, Scotty knows what he’s doing,” Gem said, adding her own two cents. “He can take a look at it at least. What’s the harm in that?”

“Okay, fine! Jeez!” Maggie exclaimed irritably. Next thing Austin would start telling her she really should get her oil changed more often. She gave Scotty a brief smile across the table and ducked her head to eat her food in what she hoped would be relative peace.

Unfortunately, her family didn't seem to get the hint.

"Are you able to have Max tomorrow afternoon?" Gem asked hopefully, fixing Maggie with a look she'd come to recognize over the years. It was a mixture of blind hopefulness with a dash of desperation. Consequently, it was very difficult to say no to.

"I...er..." Maggie's eyes flicked over to her young nephew who was sitting on his booster seat grinning at her with a slightly open mouth. If there was a way out of this without hurting someone’s feelings she needed to think of it A.S.A.P.

"You know, I think Maggie has her hands full working at the bakery without having to add babysitting duties on top," Maggie's dad added as he fixed his eyes on Gem and raised an eyebrow. Gem stared back at him, her eyes flashing with annoyance. It was a badly kept secret that very few people said no to Gem Morgan, but Greg Little was one of those who came closest.

"I really don't have a choice!" Gem spluttered, flicking her eyes over to Maggie whose resolve was quickly crumbling. Now she was no longer at the center of the conversation she was madly trying to think of an excuse, but nothing was forthcoming. "I've gotta take as many extra shifts as I can to pay for—" her eyes flicked between her two sons and settled on Max, who unlike Austin, still believed in Santa, "you know what."

"I'm sure it won't be a problem..." Maggie muttered quietly and Gem's eyes turned to her as a grateful smile crossed her face.

"Thank you, I'm just so pushed at this time of year."

"So is your sister," Greg reminded Gem gently. "Just this once more, okay? If you're having trouble with sitters then perhaps me and your mother could help out more. You shouldn't be putting more pressure on your sister."

"Come on, dad! It's not like Maggie has as many responsibilities as the rest of us. I'm trying to work to support my family here."

"Hey!" Maggie objected, feeling hurt. This always happened whenever the babysitting subject came up. Gem always seemed to think that Maggie should be available to babysit whenever as she was single and had no children of her own. It was something that always caused tensions between the sisters. "Just because I'm... you know...single doesn't mean I don't have things to do with my time."

Gem looked at her and snorted with amusement. "Come on, Mags. You work at the bakery and then come home to put on your PJ's and watch movies or read in bed. You're hardly living the high life."

"Don't start on your sister," Kate interrupted, pointing her finger sternly at Gem who pouted in response. Maggie could almost laugh as the familiar expression appeared across her sister's face. It was like they were back being teenagers, squabbling over the dinner table about who would get to watch what on the one TV in the living room.

"I'm just saying it'd be great if my family could help me out at this difficult time of year," Gem said, meeting her mother's eyes and changing her voice to sound softer. She knew exactly how to get round her mother when she was in that mood. "You remember what it was like having young children, mom," she continued, reaching out to place a hand across the back of her youngest son's chair. Nothing got around Kate quicker than her two grandsons. "I just wanna give my boys a great Christmas."

Maggie glowered across the table at her sister, seeing how manipulative she was being, but knowing she was likely to succeed. She glanced at Scotty, who was remaining suspiciously quiet and raised an accusing eyebrow. Now would be a very good time for him to say something, and yet he was remaining silent. Clearly he'd learned to keep his mouth shut.

"Once more," Maggie's dad said before Kate caved completely and agreed to something that Maggie would probably regret. Gem's eyes flicked back to her father, and she flashed him a winning smile.

"That's all I need, daddy."

Maggie humphed and met her sister's eyes, saying all she needed to in one look.

"Just once more, Mags," Gem said, nodding her head as convincingly as she could. "I promise that's all it'll be. I'll even pick him up from school myself and drop him off for you. Deal?"

Maggie tried not to smile, but rolled her eyes and let out a chuckle anyways. "Fine. Deal."

~~~~~*~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks so much to all the readers and reviewers who've been so generous with their feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying this story. Hope you like this next chapter.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story