Two Days Before Christmas

“So how was that?”

“Great! I think we have just what we need.” It was the day before Christmas Eve, and Leah was in the studio with Kaya Mitchell, one of the up and coming artists that she and JC had signed to their label. They had discovered her singing in a bar in West Hollywood one night doing a cover of Ani DiFranco’s 32 Flavor’s, and they had both been blown away by both her sultry voice and folk-pop sound. They knew they had to sign her before a corporate label snatched her up.

“So my ad-libbing towards the end wasn’t too much?” Kaya asked, as she stepped out of the booth, acoustic guitar in hand.

“It was perfect actually.” Leah reassured her. “It gave the song just what it was missing, without the meaning being lost at all.”

“Good,” Kaya breathed a sigh of relief, as she plopped down in the swivel chair next to Leah behind the mixing board.

“The last song of the album just in time for Christmas. We’ll start mixing and editing after New Years. When do you get back from Lansing?”

“I’m actually not going to Lansing this year,” Kaya replied.

“Oh, why not?”

“Because it’s 36 degrees and three feet of snow, and there are no flights out to Lansing right now. So, I can’t go home this year.” Kaya explained, as she fingered through her long golden waves.

“Oh Kaya, I’m so sorry to hear that.” Leah felt bad for her; Kaya was a twenty year old girl, living in Los Angeles alone. She didn’t deserve to be by herself at Christmastime. “Why don’t you spend Christmas with me, JC, and our families’ this year?”

“Uh, Leah, that’s really nice, but I don’t want to be an imposition-“

“Trust me, you will not be an imposition. If anything you can act as a buffer between me and my mother.”

“This is really great, Leah,” Kaya blushed feeling her heart swell. In the four years since she’d moved to California, no one had ever been as nice or embracing as Leah and JC had been to her over the past few months. “I-I don’t know what to say. Should I bring anything?”

“Oh, don’t be silly. You’re our guest. But... can you cook?” Leah asked, the wheels suddenly turning in her head.

“I can make a mean Bruschetta.”

“Then, you’re coming home with me tonight.”

 

 

 

2 hours later, Leah and Kaya were making their way into the Chasez kitchen, their arms full with bags from Ralph’s filled with last minute Christmas dinner items. “Babe, we’re home!” Leah called, sitting the bags on the island.

“Hey, honey,” JC yawned, as he made his way into the kitchen, clad in a gray Hanes t-shirt, and red plaid pajama pants. His hair was slightly tousled, and his blue eyes looked a little hazy. “Oh, hey Kaya,” he said, noticing her standing next to his wife at the island.

“Josh, did you fall asleep on the kids?” Leah asked.

“No.”

Leah eyed him suspiciously.

“Yes.”

“Josh…”

“You try sitting through Brave back to back.”

“Try sitting through, How to Train Your Dragon, and come back to me. Where are they?”

“Planted in front of the television still watching Brave.”

“Lemme go say hi to my babies, I’ll be right back guys.” Leah said, excusing herself.

“So how’s it going Kaya?” JC asked, sitting down at the island.

“Great, we finished the last song today.”

“Oh, that’s awesome, so we’re right on track,” JC replied. It was always good news to hear that everything was happening smoothly and in a timely manner. “So, are you excited for the release of your very first album?”

“Definitely. Excited and nervous.”

“Well, it’s normal to be nervous. But you’re at a really good time in your life. So just try and enjoy every moment.”

“Thanks,” Kaya smiled, grateful for the advice.

“So, did Kaya tell you she’s joining us for Christmas dinner?” Leah asked, as she made her way back into the kitchen.

“Oh, you are?”

“Yes she is. All flights to Lansing are cancelled, so I invited her to spend Christmas with us. And, she makes a mean Bruschetta.”

“Well honey, the more the merrier!”

 

 

Christmas Eve

It was Christmas Eve, and so far everything had seem to be falling perfectly into place. The chicken was in the oven, the dressing had been mixed, the sweet potatoes made, the green bean casserole was done, the pecan pie and carrot cake had been made, and family was flying in. Half the dinner, had been prepared and guests had been arriving gradually. Two more days. Just two days, Leah told herself and this would all be over.

JC was outside with his brother Tyler, passing a football back and forth, while the kids were playing ‘hide and go seek’. Meanwhile, the ladies were in the kitchen, chatting over wine and helping Leah prepare for the upcoming event.

“So, when are the parents coming?” Kaya asked, pouring some of the wine into the risotto she was making.

“We’re expecting them sometime tonight.” Leah replied, checking on the chicken in the oven.

“And they’re all staying here?”

“Oh God, no. Hotel reservations at the Four Seasons taken care by me and Josh.”

“I for one can’t imagine all of my in-laws under one roof,” Sarah, Tyler’s wife interjected, taking a sip of Merlot. “Bless you, Leah,” she laughed.

“Geez Sarah, you make it sound like the apocalypse!”

“Stock up on plenty of this-“Sarah said, picking up the bottle of 2010 Chateau Rouget Pomerol- “and you should be good.”

“Just for that, if I get into with my sister, you are my Switzerland, missy!”

As the women were chatting amongst themselves, suddenly the doorbell rang. “I’ll be right back,” Leah said, jetting off to answer the door. Expecting a member of either her or JC’s family to be on the other end of the door, she got the surprise of her life when she swung open the rustic wrought iron door to reveal not only her sister, Jill, but her boyfriend, David as well as a small child.”Jill.”

“Hey,” Jill smiled, oblivious to her sister’s frustration.

“What I-“

“You’ve met David, and this is his daughter, Annie,” Jill explained, motioning towards the child.

No.”

“I brought pie!” Jill exclaimed, holding up a Kroger brand pumpkin pie, and making her way into the house along with her uninvited guests.

Chapter End Notes:

Kaya Mitchell:

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc christmas