Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks elle-miranda, I heart your editing and cheerleading skills.
JC watched as Kyra seemed to hesitate for a moment before she finally opened the door wider and he was able to step inside. He stood uncomfortably near the door as she shut it behind him, unsure of what he wanted to do.

When she walked past him and sat down at the end of the bed and motioned for him to have a seat in the wingback chair in the corner of the room, he toed off his shoes near the door and walked over to the chair to sit down.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I ordered some food. They are going to deliver it here. I’m starving,” he said as he took his hat off and placed it on the small coffee table next to him.

She nodded as she watched him shake his head slightly and run his fingers through the still damp curls. “That’s fine. You burned a lot of energy on that stage tonight.”

He chuckled and nodded. “Yeah. It was a good show. How did you like it?”

“It was great. Really great. You’ve really done well for yourself, JC. You should be proud.”

Although he really disliked how she kept calling him by his nickname he thought it best not to address that at this point. There would be time.

He hoped.

“Thanks. I’m happy you enjoyed it. Did your friend have fun as well?”

She laughed dryly and got comfortable on the bed, crossing her legs beneath her and leaning back on her palms. “She’s not really my friend.” When he looked at her questioningly she continued. “She’s my literary agent. She’s pretty much a straight up New York bitch.”

He chuckled and leaned back into the chair, putting his feet up on the ottoman in front of him. “Seriously? Why do you keep her as your agent then?”

She shrugged. “She makes me work hard and she is a bulldog for me, so as long as I stay far away from her most of the time I’m good. I can sort of avoid her phone calls and emails when she gets too much if I’m in Boston and she’s here.”

He picked up a stray hair on his jeaned thigh and flicked it away as he mumbled under his breath. “Yeah, you’re real good at avoiding those…”

He felt bad instantly when he looked up and he could tell that she had heard him. Although the room was dimly lit by the side lamp next to the head of the bed, he could see red creeping up her neck and cheeks.

He needed to tread carefully. He was the one coming back to her with his tail between his legs. He shouldn’t be antagonizing her.

Speaking softly, he explained. “I tried to contact you for weeks, months. You wouldn’t answer your phone or answer any of my letters or emails. Then your number got disconnected and your letters were being returned as a wrong address-”

“You could have asked your parents...they always had my contact information.”

He bit his lip and kept picking at the thread of his jeans nervously. “I didn’t want them to know we weren’t talking.”

“For three and a half years?”

“Yeah, well you didn’t tell them either.”

This quieted her and she looked down at her crossed legs. With a sigh he said, “It’s just that I knew if they found out we weren’t speaking that they’d want to know why...and I just couldn’t bring myself to have that conversation.” He scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably.

She looked up and watched him quietly for a moment then spoke. “Honestly, even if you had gotten my new contact information I’m not sure I was ready to talk to you for the longest time. I was...really, really mad at you. After I was done being mad, the hurt took over and I just couldn’t…”

She trailed off as she leaned forward and crossed her arms over her chest.“I just couldn’t do it. Then the calls and the messages stopped. We finally sold the house and I was able to move on with my life, finish school, move to Boston…” She shrugged again. “I figured you’d given up. That you really had become this...stranger and that even if I tried to contact you, you wouldn’t want anything to do with me.”

He narrowed his eyes and shook his head. “How could you have thought anything like that? You know what you mean to me, what you always have.”

It was her turn to narrow her eyes. “Do I? Do you?

Touché.

He slipped his feet off of the ottoman and leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees. “KyKy…” He said softly, looking up at her.

She wrinkled her nose. “Don’t call me that.”

He lifted his eyebrows. “Don’t call me JC.”


*


They stared at each other challengingly until thankfully the tension was broken by a knock at the door accompanied by someone identifying themselves as Room Service. He started to stand before she stood up and raised at hand to stop him.

“Let me. You’re not in your room…security hasn’t checked them...” She said as she waited for him to nod and sit back down in his chair, tucking the hat back on with the bill low.

Don’t call me JC.

She unlocked the door and smiled at the woman behind it standing with a cart. “Hi,” she said as she signed the outstretched receipt in the leather billfold. “If you don’t mind, I’ll take this in. My husband just got out of the shower…”

The woman smiled and nodded before wishing her a good night and walking away as she tucked the billfold in her apron. Pushing the door open wider with her hip, she wheeled the cart backwards into the room and then turned to lock the door once more. Barely five seconds later she slammed into JC who already had a mouthful of fries hanging out of his mouth as he stood at the cart.

“Jesus!” she cried, clutching her chest for a moment as she caught her breath.

“Nah, still just Josh,” he smirked with his mouth still halfway full.

She couldn’t help it. Her lips broke into a large smile and a giggle escaped them. The sight of his eyes sparkling at the sound made her heart swell and she was completely unable to keep her eyes from welling up too.

She felt so stupid standing there with tears streaming down her face in front of him. She’d sworn to herself that she wouldn’t do this. She wouldn’t let him break her in any way after what had happened. But she missed him. So much. People change right? And people could change back right?

“Ky...Can I…” He spoke softly, reaching for her hesitantly.

She hesitated for a moment before she stepped forward and accepted his embrace. His arms felt like heaven. They felt like protection. They felt like home.

They stood there holding each other for what felt like hours but was probably only minutes. Her nose was buried into the crook of his neck and his fragrant hair. His lips were level with her ear and he whispered the words she’d been aching to hear for a long time. “I’m so sorry, Ky. I’m ashamed of what I did. Ashamed of who I thought I was. I promise I’m still Josh...just...just give me a chance to prove it to you. Give me a chance.”

When she looked up to find his eyes moist and pleading, she was unable to keep herself from nodding slowly.

Give me a chance.

Apparently, this story wasn’t over after all.








Chapter End Notes:
Yes, this is the end! Well of this part of their story. I am already working on a sequel so hopefully you will read that one as well!

Completed
LadyX is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked The Story of My Life also liked 59 other stories.
This story is part of the series, JC & Kyra Series. The next story in the series is The Story of My Life: Rewritten.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story