Author's Chapter Notes:
The tables have turned and the ball is now in Abby's court.  Can she make JC understand the error of his thoughts? Did a snowstorm finally reunite these two lovers?

YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE ALONE

 

Chapter 9

 

 

 

Silently, JC stood in the doorway as Abby made her way back to the couch.  Without a backwards glance, she sat down and rubbed her chilled hands together.  Her eyes wandered toward the fireplace and she noticed that the fire was all but extinguished.

“JC, I think we could use a little more firewood.  Would you like me to get it?” she asked sweetly.

“No, honey, I can get it.  It’ll just take me a minute.”  He seemed totally confused. 

Abby wasn’t angry.  She wasn’t making demands.  She wasn’t crying any longer.  She seemed totally calm and in complete control.  JC wished he could say the same for himself.

Absently he walked to the back door, opened it and went outside to round up a few logs to put on the fire.  With an armful, he reentered the cabin, closed the door and made his way over to the hearth.  He laid the wood there, grabbed the poker and began stirring the embers, hoping to reignite a few small flames.  As luck would have it, the embers danced to life.  He quickly grabbed three logs, set them on the newfound flames and pressed them into the ashes in an effort to help them ignite.  Within seconds, he had new flames licking their way over the pieces of wood he had brought in.  Brushing his hands against his jeans, he stood and turned to face Abby.  When she patted the cushion next to her, he hesitantly moved to sit beside her.

“In all this time, you’ve allowed the image of another man to cloud your judgment.  Do you know that?”

JC nodded.

“You do realize that we’ve been together for two years, don’t you?”

Again, he nodded.

“What did I do to lose your trust, JC?”

“My trust?” he was thoroughly confused.

“You immediately assumed that because I met a man for lunch I must have been having an affair with him.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“JC, you asked me to get out of your life.  What else could it have been?”

JC made no response.

“I’m going to tell you who that man was.  You may not believe me, but I’m going to tell you anyway.  I’m not doing this to make you feel like a fool or to make you feel stupid, or anything like that.  But, I do want you to understand, we have nothing if we don’t have trust.”

He nodded once more.

“On that afternoon, the blonde man I was having lunch with was bringing me a Christmas gift.”

“Oh, great!” JC spouted.  “It’s not enough he’s stealing my girl, but he’s bribing her to do it?”

Abby giggled in spite of the situation.

“JC, he wasn’t bribing me.   Don’t be silly.  He was bringing me a Christmas gift for you.”

“What?”

She nodded as she arched both eyebrows.

“I don’t even know him, Abby.  I think you’re going to have to try harder than that if you want me to believe this.”

“Oh ye of little faith.”  Abby laughed.  “JC, that man is Jonathan Jones.  Have you ever heard of Jonathan Jones?”

Abby watched as his eyes darted about, recognition of the name suddenly coming to him.

“The jeweler?”

Abby nodded.

“Why were you meeting Jonathan Jones?  Abby, he’s quite an exclusive jeweler.  I’m not trying to be mean, but I don’t think you could afford his merchandise.”

Abby shook her head. 

“That’s why I was meeting him, JC.  I was searching for something for you for Christmas.  I wanted something unique.  So, I went to Lance and asked him to help me figure out what to buy you.  He put me in touch with Jonathan.  The man was wonderful, JC.  When Lance explained my situation to him, and told him I needed something affordable for you, he was more than accommodating.”

“Oh, I’ll just bet…”

Immediately Abby raised her hand and a scowl creased her brow.

“Don’t you dare say it!”

JC stopped instantly.

“That man was more than willing to help me, JC.  Lance and I explained who I was buying for, what I was hoping to find, and how much I could spend.  He didn’t even hesitate.  He told me he had something in his store that fit the bill, and he immediately took care of it.  When you saw us, he was delivering it to me.  He gave me your Christmas present.”

A smug look covered her face as she watched JC sitting in stunned silence.  When his eyes wandered up to meet hers, she nodded.

With his elbows resting on his knees, JC dropped his head into his hands.  His fingers splayed in his hair and his emotions raced through his head.

“I’ve been such a fool, Abby.   I had no idea what you were doing.  I automatically assumed the worst.  I put you in that category of cheating women.  I accused you of anything my mind could conjure up, just so I could walk away from you.  I said awful things; things I didn’t even mean.  I knew you weren’t in this for money!  I knew you weren’t this evil person I was accusing you of being.  I just had to create something so horrible I’d be able to walk away from you.   I didn’t trust you.  I didn’t even give you a chance.”

Setting her hand on his leg, Abby gave him a little squeeze.

“Then give me a chance now.”  Her voice was soft and the inflection in her tone was clearly sexual.

Blue sparkling eyes darted up to meet smiling brown eyes.  Abby winked when she saw the surprised look on JC’s face.  Leaning over, she placed both of her hands on his shoulders and pushed him back against the couch.  She immediately moved in closer and brought her face to within mere inches of his.  With her eyes clearly focused on his mouth, she allowed her tongue to slip between her lips and make a slow, deliberate swipe from one side to the other.  She arched an eyebrow and a playful smile graced her lips.  Playfully, she leaned in and planted a tiny kiss on his lips.

“Abby?” his voice was suddenly husky to his own ears.

She raised a finger to silence him and placed it softly against his lips.  Then she slowly shook her head.  He leaned in and kissed the tip of her finger.  When she smiled, he issued a little lick up the inside of her finger.  A shiver raced down her spine at the sensation.

            Easing herself over his hips, Abby straddled him, settling her weight on his lap as her eyes remained locked on his.  His hands came to rest on her hips and she lowered her finger away from his mouth.  She felt his thumbs resting beneath the hem of her shirt, softly touching her skin that peeked out above the waistline of her jeans.  Slowly he let his hands slide under her shirt and upward until he was caressing her shoulders, pulling her closer to him.  Sliding her hands over his shoulders, she brought her hands together behind his neck.  Her mouth covered his and her lips moved over his with the passion of two lovers nearly lost to each other.  His hands were firm against her skin and he held her close as his mouth parted for her as her tongue sought refuge deep within his mouth.  She felt him shift beneath her and the intimacy of the contact caused another shiver to race down her spine.

            Lifting her head to break the kiss, JC wasted no time in sliding her shirt over her head.  The short rapid breaths coming from her were echoed by JC as his hands slid over the silky smoothness of her skin.  The feel of her beneath his hands aroused sensations in him that he wasn’t sure he was ready to handle.

            “I’m so sorry, Abby.  I was such a fool.”  His eyes scanned her face.

            “Does that mean you believe me?” she asked with a faint smile on her face.

            “I never should have doubted you.  Can you ever forgive me?”

            Removing her hands from behind his neck, she let them drift down to the hem of his sweater.  Hooking her thumbs into the hem, she began to pull it upward.  She winked and he lifted his arms to help her rid him of the bindings of the fabric.  “I think we could work on that.”  She winked again as a small giggle filled the room.

            Before JC could settle back against the couch, he gripped her by her waist, turned her over and pushed her down onto the seat cushions of the couch.  He lowered his head, and kissed her lovingly on the flat plane of her stomach as his fingers found the snap closure and zipper of her jeans.  She lifted her hips to help him slide the pants from her slender legs.  His breath caught in his throat as he looked down on her slim figure, clad only in pale pink lace lingerie.  He brought his hands up to lovingly caress her body.  With tenderness and love, he touched her as if it were their first time together.  He wanted to memorize every inch of her.  He needed to know the texture of her skin in every nook and crevice of her body. 

            Abby never closed her eyes as she allowed his hands to love her as he once had done.  Her hands roamed over his back as he became reacquainted with her all over again.  When he touched on her sensitive zones, she raked her nails up his back, causing him sweet pain.  JC lowered his head and began caressing her body with his mouth.  She whimpered when she felt his tongue sneak out and taste between her breasts.  With his knee, he pushed her legs apart and nestled between them, the rough fabric of his denim jeans chafing sweetly against the smoothness of her inner thighs.

            Slipping her fingers into his hair, she encouraged him to lift his head.  Reluctantly his blue eyes looked up at her.

            “JC?  Make love to me, please?”

            She heard the low guttural moan at her request and she quickly nodded to assure him that he had heard her correctly.  Within minutes, he had them both completely naked and he poised himself at her opening.  His eyes sought hers as he desperately needed the reassurance that this was what she wanted.  Panting and nearly gasping for breath, she nodded to him and pressed her hands against his back to pull him closer to her.  As she felt him press his engorged member against her opening, she raised her hips, pulling him deep within her. 

            Abby moaned his name as she felt him penetrate her deeper than ever before.  She wrapped her arms around his back and hooked her legs around his thighs, hanging on for fear he’d disappear into thin air like a mirage.  JC started a slow, sensuous rhythm.  He wanted to make it last.  He wanted it to be special for her.  He wanted Abby to remember this moment for the rest of her life.  But, without a warning, Abby began moving her body in a frenzied manner.  She wanted JC.  She wanted all of him.  She couldn’t wait.  Her heart had won out over her mind and all the love she felt for him came spilling out in the moment their bodies joined as one.

            Their joining was wild and wanton.  They were two lovers, two people who had wandered far from one another only to find their way back to each other.  They were meant to be together.  Both of them felt it.  Both of them knew it.  Both of them needed to show it.  JC loved her body, worshiped her very being.  He whispered words of love and affection with every thrust he gave to her.  She returned each action with one of her own, telling him over and over how much she loved him.  And when at last she could contain herself no longer, she screamed his name to the heavens and only smiled when he did the same for her.

            For long moments, they lay together, naked bodies entwined, arms around each other, sweat trailing down shoulders and brows.  It was only after his breathing had returned to some bit of normalcy that JC even attempted to lift his head and look down on the beautiful woman beneath him.  With gentle, loving hands he brushed her hair back from her face.  His hands framed her face as he stared into her brown eyes.

            “I love you more than life itself, Abby.”

            “I love you more than life itself, too, JC.” 

            Lowering his head, he placed a loving kiss on her lips.  When he lifted his head, concern filled his eyes. 

            “Are you crying?” he asked.

            Abby could only nod.

            “Why?  What did I do?”

            “No, JC, it’s not that.  They’re not sad tears.  They’re happy tears.  I’m just so happy.  I was so afraid I’d lost you.  I was so afraid you were gone from me forever.”

            “Oh, Abby, I’m so sorry.  I never meant to hurt you.  I just didn’t understand.  I really think my stupid mind got the better of me.”

            “I shouldn’t have tried to go behind your back, JC.  I just wanted to surprise you.”

            “I shouldn’t have doubted you, Abby.  I knew you loved me.  There should never have been a question in my mind.”

            Abby smiled.  “Well, actually, if you’re honest, there should have been one small question in your mind.”

            JC looked confused.

            “Don’t you want to know what it was that caused so much trouble for us?”

            He chuckled.  “You bet I do!  Are you going to tell me?”

            “Well, I know how much you love those big, clunky watches.  I was able to get Jonathan Jones to make you one up that’s got a square face, great big numerals on it with a pale blue opalescent face and a royal blue watchband on it.  And on the back, he engraved it.”

            JC arched an eyebrow.

            “It says,” she cleared her throat.  “To JC, the only man I’ll ever love, Abby.”  Immediately tears sprung to her eyes.  Her emotions were raw and on the surface. 

            Fighting his own emotions, JC enveloped her in the warmth of his embrace and held her close.  The inscription told him everything he needed to know.  The woman he was holding close to him at this very moment in time was the only woman he would ever love. 

            After they got their feelings under control, JC eased himself away from her.  He gathered up his clothes and slipped into his briefs and jeans.  Picking up his sweater, he handed it to Abby, allowing her to sit up and slip it over her head.  Nervously, she pulled her hair from the collar and curled her legs beneath her as she watched him.  Carefully, he sat down beside her.  He clasped her hands between his and looked deep into her eyes.

            “Abby, if I never tell you another thing, I have to tell you this.  You are positively the most beautiful woman in the world.  I am so honored to love you and to have you love me back.  I’m sorry I was such a fool, and if you can forgive me, I want you back here, beside me, right where you belong.”

            It felt like an eternity had passed as JC waited to hear her response.  Her eyes searched his face.  Nervously, she licked her lips.  He felt her hands tremble as he held them.  He watched as she swallowed hard, searching for the words that were escaping her.

            At first Abby only nodded.  Confusion filled JC’s eyes and Abby knew she had to find the words he was waiting to hear.

            “There is no where else I want to be, JC.”  Her voice was hoarse as she tried to speak.  “I love you with my whole being.  When I thought I had lost you, I didn’t know how I was going to go on.  You ask me if I can forgive you.  I don’t even have to think about it.  I love you, JC.  I love you so much it hurts.  I can’t even imagine being with anyone else ever in my whole life.  You are my whole life.  This is where I want to be, forever!”

            An audible sigh of relief surged from him as he finally found the breath he had been holding.  He pulled her close and kissed the top of her head.  She had forgiven him.  She loved him.  She was here with him.  At last everything was right in his life.

            “Abby, this is the best Christmas I’ve ever had.  I love you, honey!”

            “I love you, too, JC.  I love you, too.”

            Abby allowed her eyes to drift closed as JC held her close.  His soft kisses warmed her and the feel of him so near made her feel secure.  She heard his voice rumble in his chest.  It was low and nearly inaudible.  She listened intently, unable to discern what he was saying.  Lifting her head, she brought her eyes up to meet his.  A sweet smile lit his face as she at last heard the most wonderful sound ever.  He was singing.  He was singing to her.  He was singing her song.

            “I don’t know when we fell apart.  The love that we had was like a work of art.  I used to see heaven in your eyes.  And angels are falling from your skies.  The things we said were so wrong, and I haven’t held you for so long.  My foolish pride turns me inside, why did we tell all those lies?  You can reach for the phone. You don’t have to be alone.” 

            Tears of happiness streaked down her cheeks as she kissed his chest and nestled into his warm embrace, certain that the love they shared would never be harmed again.


Completed
Truekat is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked You Don't Have To Be Alone also liked 67 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story