Author's Chapter Notes:
In which Cadence's Mom arrives, you get a look into Cadence's past, and Lou is up to something shady.

.:2:.

He Didn't Need To Know Anything


“So your Mom is coming to visit,” Lance said gently. “So what?” He jumped as Cadence slammed a cabinet door shut and slammed a large mixing down onto the counter. “Is it really that bad?”

“Clearly you haven’t met my mother,” Cadence replied. She pulled her hair behind her ears and grabbed the carton of eggs that sat beside her and started to crack them into the bowl.

“Of course we haven’t, Cade, you hardly ever talk about her,” Lance pointed out. He crossed his arms and rested them on the other end of the island as he watched her. “You haven’t really talked about your father either but at least we’ve heard a few things about him.”

“Yeah, well, there’s a reason for that.”

Lance paused for a minute. He pressed his lips together then approached the situation from a safe perspective. “Okay, so what does she look like? Or, rather, what’s her name?”

“Well considering my last name is Nash and my parents were married, hers is too,” Cadence said. She stared at Lance as she continued to crack eggs into the mixing bowl. Her intensity of each crack increased as the seconds went by. “Her name is Melinda, she’s tall, blonde, and is the bane of my freaking existence.”

“Well, technically she’s the only reason you’re alive,” Lance pointed out.

Cadence was about to correct him, reminding him that she was adopted but stopped herself at the last moment. Only JC knew she was adopted and she had only told him at one of the ill-fated doctor’s appointments she had to transit the boys too. The only reason she had mentioned it to him was because he had said it to the doctor when asked about his family’s medical history. It wasn’t her being adopted was really a big deal, but that she never really liked to talk about it or her feelings about it.

Whenever she brought it up the same questions were thrown her way: Who are you real parents? Do you ever want to go find them? How does it feel to know you’re not really your parents’ child? Does that bother them? Why did they decide to adopt? Are you an only child?

And on and on and on.

And the only thing that made it worse was the slight notion that she was unwanted and unable to be loved just because she was adopted.

“Yeah, whatever,” she muttered.

“Uh, Cade?”

“What?!” Cadence slammed her hand that was holding an egg against the side of the mixing bowl. She jumped as a geyser of egg shot up and over her hand. Then stared at the pieces of egg shell that sat in her hand. Laughing to herself, she wiped off her hand with a dish towel then started to scrape egg shell out of the bowl from the other eggs she had managed to haphazardly smash as she was thinking about her mother. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you, Lance.

“I’m guessing you don’t really like your mother then,” Lance pointed out.

“Yeah, not really,” Cadence admitted. It was good to at least get that off her chest. Everything else…not really. There was too much for her to work through that she hadn’t even admitted to herself that she couldn’t bring up in casual conversation. So when the topic of mothers came up she usually withdrew and kept to herself, hoping no one would notice she wasn’t speaking. And she had grown to love Lynn Harless like her second mother, as she had become to the whole band. “There’s just…a lot of issues we have that we don’t really sit down to talk about.

And the fact that she’s not the sort of mother anyone wants around, Cadence added to herself. “I know you’re close with your Mom, though. She’s really cool.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed. “My mom’s the best. But I don’t want you to feel like you’re being put out with your Mom here and the rest of us here as well. I mean, she did kind of spring this on you.”

“Not really.” She shrugged sheepishly. “I’ve known for a while. I just thought if I didn’t respond to any of her letters she wouldn’t show up. Maybe get the hint or whatever, because I haven’t spoken to her for a while now.”

Lance gave her a look. She recognized that look. It was his disapproving look despite he wasn’t really going to say anything to her. Just let her know he didn’t quite agree with what she was doing or saying. She had seen that look many times before and unlike JC who was more of the father figure of the entire band, at least Lance was the one she found herself having deep personal conversations with when he gave an opinion to her problems but never really outward advice.

“I know, avoiding my problems never works out,” Cadence said before Lance could say it. “But this just…this is different Lance.” Now that she was finished pulling out the egg shells she stuck a whisk into the eggs and started to whisk them. “And once she figured out that I’ve left school to become a nutritionist, trainer, whatever the hell I am to you guys she’ll probably blow her top.” She looked up as Joey and Chris came screaming into the room with Chris on Joey’s back, slapping the taller boy on the ass as they went through the kitchen. “Especially when she sees I have to live with that!”

Lance smiled and laughed as Joey lowered Chris to the floor and the two sat down on the empty stools around the bass singer. Cadence laughed back and finished preparing the eggs and dumped the bowl into the pan that steamed on the stove.

“So what’s going on today?” Joey asked. “After breakfast I mean. You already kicked our asses about eight times harder today during workouts than you usually do.” He then cleared his throat and laced his fingers together, resting his chin on his hands. “Please know that you’re in a safe space and we’re not going to judge you for what you’re about to say. You’re safe here.”

Cadence gave him the finger then laughed. “Thanks Dr. Phil,” she replied. “But I’ve already gone through this conversation with Lance. There’s nothing more to talk about.” She snapped her fingers. “But if you think I’m bad then I can’t wait to see what my Mom has to say about you. Your jokes aren’t going to fly with her.” She then motioned to Chris. “Or your wild and crazy antics. I take after my Dad than I do my Mom and my Dad is the one with the sense of humor.”

“Oh please.” Chris waved his hands. “Parents love me. Everyone loves me.”

“You think everyone loves you,” Lance pointed out.

“Well our fans do and that’s all that matters.” Pouting Chris crossed his arms over his chest and turned away. He looked up as JC walked into the kitchen next, pulling a shirt on over his head. “JC likes me! You like me, don’t you JC?”

JC looked over at Chris and shrugged. “You’re okay,” he commented before plopping down in a stool. He glanced around at the others and then at the spread that sat on the table, blue eyes widening slightly. “Wow. This is the most that you’ve ever made for breakfast before. I guess your mother coming must be really worrying you.” He caught Cadence’s eye and she raised an eyebrow before lightly shaking her head.

He nodded in understanding.

She hadn’t mentioned how she had curled up into a ball and hid under her bed at even the sight of her mother’s handwriting on the front of an envelope and how JC had sat beside her until he could coax her out from her hiding place. While she had lied under her bed he sat patiently beside her, not speaking unless he felt she was comfortable enough for talk about it.

“Not worrying more like things have to be perfect,” Cadence explained. “And I’m not kidding when I say that. So you all need to make up your beds and clean your rooms too.”

“I’m sorry.” Chris raised his hand into the air like he was in class. “I thought you were just our trainer. I didn’t think you were our Mom, too.”

“My room’s already clean,” JC offered.

“That’s because you’re a robot,” Joey shot back causing JC to stick his tongue out at him.

The group was complete once Justin walked into the kitchen with Britney in tow, the two holding hangs. Cadence turned to the cabinet and grabbed another plate and set it down on the stack before going to the refrigerator and taking out a protein shake. She shook it up then slid it over to Britney, who gave her a grateful smile as she took it.

“Aww, you remembered,” Britney said with a gush.

“I should by now, Brit-Brat, I’m your trainer too,” Cadence pointed out. She blew her hair out of her face before looking back and forth between Justin and Britney. “Which reminds me, you missed training this morning.”

“Trust me, we got plenty of exercise in,” Justin said with a grin.

JC, Lance, Chris, and Joey all hooted and hollered as Britney rolled her eyes. She exchanged a glance with Cadence and the two shook their heads. Boys. Then Cadence grinned. “So that’s what I heard last night?” She asked. “I thought it was a dying cat.”

“Too bad you didn’t come to investigate,” Justin shot back easily. Britney whacked him on the arm and gave him a disapproving glance.

“It’s a good thing I didn’t or else I’m sure I would’ve seen the first case of someone’s dick actually falling off,” Cadence responded.

“Would you still inspect it?”

“No need. From the sounds of it, it was all in working order; not lasting long at all.”

“Ha!” Joey laughed loudly before reaching over and poking Justin in the cheek. “She totally burned you, dude!”

“Ha ha ha.” Justin rolled his eyes. He then sat up straight, looking over the food options then scowled. “What? No cereal?”

“It’s not a restaurant, JT, you don’t get to pick and choose what you get. You’ll get what you get and like it!” With that, she picked up and plate and filled it with eggs, fruit salad, and a biscuit before shoving it back at him. “Now shut up and eat.”

“Ohh,” Britney said knowingly. She brushed aside her blonde hair and looked at Cadence with sympathy in her eyes. “Your mom is coming to visit isn’t she?” She nodded when Cadence glared at her before filling up another plate and this time handed it to Britney with a hard shove as well. “I’m sorry, Cade. I know she’s not your favorite person in the world.”

“It’s not your fault, Brit, you don’t need to apologize.”

“But I know how it gets to you.”

“That’s funny,” Joey remarked. “We don’t.”

“And unfortunately you will.” Cadence sighed heavily; heart sinking and the hair on the back of her neck standing on end when the doorbell rang. “Right about now.” She wiped her hands off on a dish towel and walked to the front of the house. She took in a deep breath, recognizing the silhouette on the other side of the frosted glance before she grasped the door knob and pulled it open.

Melinda Nash smiled at her daughter. Despite not being dressed in her dress blues Cadence could tell she was still in what she called ‘military mode’. That meant she had just gotten some time away from the base and was still in the mindset of being a military personnel rather than her mother. Unfortunately she had seen that too many times compared to the nurturing and caring side of her mother.

“Cadence,” Melinda said, taking a step into the house. “It’s so good to see you.”

“Good to see you, too, Mom,” Cadence said in reply. It was polite. It had been drilled into her head more times than she could care to count. She had to be polite, as a citizen, as a military brat, to those who were in higher authority than her.

“Cadence Michelle Nash!”

Surprised, five-year-old Cadence looked up at her mother, who had suddenly grabbed her arm and pulled her forward. She stumbled and fell to her knees before she was yanked back to her feet and forced to stand in front of Melinda. Cadence looked up through her eyelashes at the tall man that stood in front of her, dressed up in a crisp white uniform. A Navy-man, a sea man, she knew from having it drilled into her head so many times.

“Don’t be so rude, Cadence. You need to be polite!” She felt her mother’s hand move to her neck and tighten right as her pressure points. Cadence’s shoulders hunched up towards her ears against the blinding pain but she kept her mouth shut.

She always had to keep her mouth shut.

‘Never speak unless spoken to’.

Cadence lifted her small hand and pressed the side of it to her forehead in a salute. The Navy man smiled down at her, a smile that she didn’t realize until much later was too inappropriate for the situation, and saluted back to her. Once the formality was done, Melinda pushed Cadence out of her way and resumed her conversation with the Navy man while Cadence turned to the side and gently picked gravel out of her knees.

Her mother raised her hand in a salute and Cadence stared back at her. Melinda’s eyes slowly started to narrow and Cadence sucked in a deep breath, still holding her ground. Finally, she noticed Melinda’s other hand form into a fist and Cadence quickly released her breath, feeling fear shoot down her spine. She lifted her right hand and pressed it to her forehead before bringing it back down to her side in a salute.

Satisfied, Melinda lowered her hand. “I see you haven’t changed much, Cadence. It always takes you a few minutes to get with the program. You’re just like your father.”

“Last I checked you liked that about Dad,” Cadence pointed out. Melinda raised an eyebrow but didn’t respond to the statement. Instead, she shifted her gaze behind Cadence and she turned to see what she hoped would not happen. But of course the Nsync guys were really nosy and wanted to get into each other’s business as much as possible.

I guess that’s what Lou always says when he says we’re supposed to be ‘family’, Cadence thought, suddenly filled with contempt. To get into each other’s business no matter how much everyone else doesn’t want them in.

“I see you’ve managed to come into an interesting brood while you’ve been out here in Florida,” Melinda said as Cadence finally closed the door behind her. “Aren’t you going to introduce me?”

“Mom, this is JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake, Chris Krikpatrick, Joey Fatone, Lance Bass, and Britney Spears. All of us but Britney live here. Guys, this is my mom Melinda.”

Lance, Britney and Justin, with their southern hospitality intact immediately stepped up to Melinda with their hands outstretched, greeting her cheerfully. Joey, Chris, and JC waited their turns and Cadence flinched each time they came away from Melinda’s handshake with a grimace of pain. She should’ve warned them about her mother’s firm handshake but as far as she was concerned they all deserved it from being so nosey.

“It’s nice to meet you all,” Melinda said with what appeared to be a warm smile. “I don’t suppose you’re friends that Cadence has met while at school.”

“No,” JC said slowly. His eyes shifted over to Cadence. “Not really.”

“Am I to suspect that at least one of you are her boyfriend?” Melinda added. She looked each boy up and down, making a face at the ones she dismissed and interested in others she’d found a viable option.

“No,” Cadence said quickly and firmly.

“Then why would you decide to live in a house with so many men.” Melinda turned towards her daughter with a critical gaze.

“How is that any different than the way you live—“Cadence immediately cut herself off. Talking back or showing any sign of disrespect was not a good idea. “Breakfast is ready,” She said instead and held out her arm, motioning her mother back towards the kitchen. She started to follow her then noticed the others staring at her. “Just wait until you really get to know her,” she mumbled. “I’m sure she’ll warm up to you all then. She just doesn’t know you yet and can be really overprotective of who I’m keeping company with.”

“That’s alright,” Lance said comfortingly. He reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder. “A lot of mothers can be overprotective like that. Mine definitely was and you know how Justin’s Mom can be at times.”

“Hey, man, what’s that supposed to mean?” Justin demanded.

“Nothing,” JC interrupted. “It doesn’t mean anything. Let’s just get something to eat.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” Cadence said. “After that workout and going straight into making breakfast I haven’t had a chance to take a shower yet. And I don’t know if you’ve guessed yet, but my Mom is all about cleanliness as well.” She turned and went up the stairs to her room.

Gathering her clothes she crossed to her dresser where her mother’s latest letter sat. She picked it up, crumpled it in her hand, and haphazardly tossed it away. Then she went into the bathroom. Turning on the shower she set her clothes aside and waited for the water to warm.

“Ow, Mommy. It’s too hot.”

“It’s fine, now get in!”

Cadence let out a startled yelp as a hand was pressed to the back of her head and she was forced down into the hot bath water. Frantically, she plunged her hands into the water, pressing her palms against the floor of the shower and tried to push herself upwards, anything to get some air but the pressure continued to hold her down.

Shaking her head ,Cadence stripped off her clothes and stepped into the shower, lowering her head; directing the water down her back rather than over her front, over her face. At least that was a little bit better.

~~~

“Mr. Pearlman? We have the projected figures you were asking for.”

Lou turned away from his computer and held out his hand as his assistant held a file folder to him. “It has everything for the fiscal year? Album sales? Concert tickets? Merchandise? Appearance fees?”

“Yes sir, it has everything you were asking for,” The assistant said with a nod. He cleared his throat. “There is even the monetary projection for each of the band members so that their payment can go out.”

“Right, I’ll look it over and make a few adjustments if I have to,” Lou said. He set the file folder aside and turned his attention back to his computer screen. “Thank you very much. I’ll let you know if I need anything else. But please do not come in here unless I call you. Spread the word around to the other personnel…” he licked his lips. “I don’t want to be interrupted.

The assistant was about to respond then froze for a moment when he noticed Lou’s hands reach down to the waistband of his pants, starting to undo the buckle. “Y-yes sir!” He finally managed to say before turning on his heel and leaving the office with quick, long strides.

He didn’t want to see anything.

He didn’t need to know anything.

But he couldn’t help but wonder why he heard the slight sound of running water—much like a shower—before the office door closed behind him.

Chapter End Notes:

So what do you guys think? Sorry it's been a while since an update but I finally got it done. And thank you to whomever voted forme in the NF season 9 awards. I thought I would only win Supreme Newbie (I really wanted that one) but was pleasantly surprsied to find that Joke's On You also won for Best Quote and Impressive Characterization of Joey.

 Thanks again!!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story