"I can't believe she drugged us," Justin complained.

"How could she do such a thing?" Chris continued, his voice whiny as he imitated Justin. He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, we heard you the first hundred times."

"Well, I can't help it. Who the hell does she think she is?"

They stopped at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change and Lance glanced at him. "The one who gave us our only lead?"

"Hey, we had a lead," Justin pointed out, even though he knew the list of places from the woman at JC's hotel hadn't been a very good one. "And anyway, she didn't give us a lead. She told us to ask for help from some dead oracle."

Chris snorted. "Keep referring to her as that and I'm sure she'll feel less inclined to help you."

They just entered the cemetery Silvia told them had Marie Laveau's grave. At her insistence, they'd taken the pound cake she'd provided and left it across the street at the base of a large statue of Saint Expedite. Now they just had to find Marie Laveau's grave and pray that asking for her help worked. It almost seemed ludicrous, but Justin wasn't above doing it if it meant getting JC back.

The grave wasn't as hard to spot as Justin feared it might be. It was towards the back of the cemetery, but they'd been able to spot it from several rows away. There was a large headstone that was covered in vines and had tons of flowers and presents sitting at the bottom of it. Leaves blew around the silent cemetery as the wind picked up, the darkening clouds promising rain.

When they were standing directly in front of it, they all fell silent. Justin glanced at each of the guys and he could tell that they were wondering the same thing as him: how could a dead woman help them find JC?

They all seemed to be waiting for someone else to speak and ask Marie Laveau for a favor, but Joey was the one who grew tired of the silence first. "Aren't you going to say something?" he asked, his eyes on Justin.

"Why me? Why can't you say something?" Justin asked.

"Because you're the one who seems to most willing to believe all this," Lance said for Joey.

"We all have to believe on some level. I mean, Silvia healed Chris," Joey pointed out.

"Mostly," Chris reminded. "So if you don't mind, I'd like to get whatever help we can get to find the psycho who kidnapped JC and put a curse on me." He clapped Justin on the back. "Get to it, J."

Justin sighed, but looked back at the marble headstone. He didn't know what he was going to say; he just started speaking. But the words came from his heart and he had a feeling that was the most important thing.

"Marie Laveau, we've come to you for help," Justin started. "Our friend has been taken by someone who has used voodoo against us. I'm pretty sure they've used it against our friend too."

Justin paused, that thought not sitting well with him. If the person who took JC had been able to make Chris so sick so fast, he shuddered to think what they'd done to JC.

"I feel silly talking to a dead person like this. But I hear if anyone can help, it's you." Justin licked his dry lips, noticing for the first time just how truly dehydrated he was. "If anyone deserves that, it's JC. Please help us save him."

Justin took a step back, his eyes still fixed on the grave in front of him. They stood there for a moment, waiting for something to happen. He didn't really know what they were expecting, but they wanted at least some sign their plea had been answered.

"You think you did it right?" Joey asked, once again the one to break the silence.

Justin shrugged. "We did everything Silvia said."

"She didn't say how long this stuff usually takes though," Chris pointed out.

"It has to be kind of quick, or at the very least a possibility Marie Laveau would grant our favor quickly. Otherwise, why would she have suggested this?" Justin said.

"Maybe it didn't work," Lance offered.

Justin shook his head, unable to accept that. It had to work - they were running out of options. Options that could ensure a quicker rescue for JC anyway. He hated to think of JC being held hostage longer than absolutely necessary.

A couple more minutes passed before Chris said, "C'mon, let's go check out that museum now."

Justin didn't really want to leave, trying to hang onto the belief that something was going to happen. But maybe the help was on a delay and wouldn't happen for a while. If that were the case, they couldn't waste any time. They had to try to come up with another lead in case this thing with invoking Marie Laveau's help didn't work.

He sighed, but he allowed Chris to start leading them towards the entrance they'd come in. They got about halfway when suddenly, a black bird flew just over their heads. Instinctively, they all ducked and Justin was glad he did because otherwise, the bird probably would've crashed into the top of his head.

"Damn bird," Chris muttered, standing up straight.

"That was weird," Lance said. "Most birds don't act like that. He doesn't even seem to be scared of us."

Justin was about to ask Lance what he was talking about, but Lance pointed to the same bird who was sitting on top of a grave marker, just a foot away from them. Without really knowing why, Justin took a step forward. He thought for sure the bird would fly away as he closed the distance between them, but it didn't. It just stared at him, not seeming scared at all.

"Maybe the people that come here to see Marie Laveau feed him and he thinks we're gonna do the same," Joey suggested. "It would explain why he's not afraid of us."

As Justin stepped closer and saw what was written on the grave the bird was standing on, he got a feeling that wasn't the reason at all.

"Or maybe this is the work of Marie Laveau after all," he said. "Like a sign."

"A sign?" Chris repeated. "Where? I don't see anything."

Justin gestured at the bird. "Lance is right. Birds don't act like that. I think he's trying to draw our attention to this grave."

"Birds are smart, but they're not that smart," Lance said. "But even if they were, why this grave?"

"Isn't it obvious? They have something to do with JC being taken."

The others glanced worriedly at each other. "This person's dead, Justin," Joey said. The tone wasn't condescending, but it still made Justin snap.

"I know that," Justin practically growled. "It could be someone related to," he looked at the grave, "Jarod Preston. Son or daughter maybe."

"And you think Marie Laveau is behind this? That she somehow made the bird get our attention and sit on the grave of a relative of JC's kidnapper?"

Justin crossed his arms over his chest, glaring at Lance. "Makes sense, doesn't it?"

Lance shook his head. "Actually, no. Nothing about this makes sense. Kidnapping is one thing, but voodoo?"

"You said it yourself. There was no explanation for Chris getting sick so quick," Justin pointed out, remembering what Lance had said to him just that morning.

"Yeah, but-"

"But nothing," Chris cut him off. "Justin's right. It all might sound ridiculous, but considering everything we've gone through so far, it's not that hard to believe."

Joey nodded, turning to look at Justin. "You've led us this far. So where do we go next?"

Justin allowed himself a small smile, revealing in the fact they were trusting him, the baby of the group, to lead. Lance looked like he wanted to apologize, but Justin waved him off. He didn't blame Lance for not wanting to believe. He didn't want to believe in all this either, but they didn't really have a choice. Weird things were happening and JC seemed to be caught in it. There was no denying that.

"We need to find a library. That way we can look into who this guy was and who's connected to him," Justin said.

Lance glanced down at the watch on his wrist. "It's almost five on a Saturday. Most places like that are probably about to close."

"We'll just have to hurry then."

Justin all but sprinted the rest of the way out of the cemetery and into the streets. He stopped the first person he saw and asked them where the nearest library was. When he had directions, he took off running again, not even bothering to look behind him to make sure the guys were following. He knew they were, especially since it was much easier with Chris being returned to almost full health.

But all that effort didn't make a difference. They'd reached the doors of the library just as an old man was locking up. Justin cursed their luck.

"Wait, please!" Justin said as he slowed to a stop next to the man. "We need in there."

The old man turned away from the door and pocketed the keys. "Sorry, son. The library's closed. It'll be open again tomorrow morning."

"But we need to look something up now. It can't wait," Justin said. Tomorrow wasn't even an option, not when they'd come this far and knew they were so close.

The man looked at them. "Don't you kids use the computer for research nowadays?"

"Yeah, but we don't have one." Justin had only allowed the guys enough time to throw some clothes together before they left for the airport. He continued, "Besides, it's local research so I think the library would have more of what we're looking for."

"Local?" The man looked at him curiously. "What do you want to know? I might be able to help. I've lived here for the last fifty years."

"We want to know about Jarod Preston," Lance spoke up, stepping closer with Joey and Chris.

The man frowned. "What do you want to know about him for?"

"It's complicated," Justin said. No way did he want to get into the whole story and their suspicions with this guy.

"Did you know him?" Chris asked the old man.

"Yeah," the man nodded. "He was a good man, did a lot for the community."

Lance nodded like he'd expected that. "What happened to him?"

"Cancer. It spread real quick. Took everyone by surprise because he was only thirty-five." The man shook his head sadly. "His poor little girl was devastated."

Justin felt his heart stop. "He had a daughter?"

"She was a beautiful young lady when he passed. He'd done a real good job raising her by himself. His wife had died during childbirth." The man paused. "But after he died, she changed. She was very angry and started to get into all sorts of bad things."

"Do you know where she lives?" Joey asked.

"Sorry," the old man apologized. He tapped the side of his head. "The old mind isn't as sharp as it used to be."

"Do you remember what the girl's name was?" Chris asked.

The old man's gaze unfocused for a moment, like he was trying to remember. "Marlene," he said finally.

That name sounded familiar for some reason, and it quickly came to Justin. He looked over at Joey. "Was that-"

"The name of that girl I talked to at that café?" Joey finished. "Yep."

Justin turned back to the man. "Thank you very much, sir. You've been very helpful."

"Glad I could help," the man said, giving him a smile. "Now you best get out of here before the sky decides to open up."

Justin thanked him once again and he took off running again. One of the guys yelled his name in surprise, but he didn't slow because he knew they would catch up. Because it was dinner time, the streets were crowded, which forced Justin to slow to a walk and gave the guys the opportunity to fall in step behind him.

"Where are we going?" Lance asked.

"The café," Justin said.

Justin could hear the frown in Joey's voice as he said, "Dude, Marlene's not gonna be there."

"I know. I'm going there to see someone else."

The only thing Justin really remembered from Joey's encounter with Marlene was that she'd seemed like a regular to the small café they'd gone to for breakfast yesterday. And if she was a regular, maybe the young hostess he'd talked to, Carrie, would be able to tell them more about her. He just prayed that she was working.

When they arrived at the café, Justin stood off to the side as he tried to see who was working. The café was busy, but it wasn't nearly as crowded as the restaurants that surrounded it. Probably because they had a limited menu. But after a moment, he was forced to step forward and talk to the hostess that was at the podium.

"Do you know if Carrie is working tonight?" Justin asked.

The redhead blew a pink bubble with her gum and it popped against her lips. "Sorry, no," she said. "You guys want a table though?"

Justin was about to decline, but Lance spoke up, "Yes, that'd be great. Thanks."

The girl led them to a table, and Justin was surprised they hadn't been mobbed already. But the woman, despite her bubble gum chewing habit, looked to be at least near thirty so maybe she didn't really recognize them. When they sat down and their waiter came, they all ordered drinks and some croissants to snack on. Justin did have to admit that he was thirsty.

"Why don't you ask someone else about Marlene? I'm sure most of the people here could tell us about her," Chris said. They'd all clearly caught on as to why he'd wanted to talk to Carrie.

"And turn around and tell the paparazzi too. The last thing we did is a bunch of reporters hanging around as we're trying to rescue JC, especially if we get an address. It'd be practically impossible to get him out," Justin explained.

"Okay, but we might not have any other choice," Chris said. "We can't exactly wait around all night for your girl to show up."

Justin sighed. "I know. I don't want to wait anymore than you guys do." He tapped his fingers on the table. "Okay, how about give it an hour? If we don't see her, we'll figure out what our next move is."

The guys agreed and they waited, drinking water and coffee as they ate their croissants. Time moved slowly with Justin constantly scanning the restaurant and the street for any sign of the young girl he'd talked to yesterday. Nearly an hour later, he was about to cave when he spotted her. Without thinking, he jumped to his feet.

"Carrie!" he called. He rushed over to where she was in the corner of the restaurant, just outside of the kitchen. She looked at him amused as he stopped in front of her. "Can we talk? It's kind of important."

She looked at him for a moment and then her eyes went to something behind him. Justin glanced over his shoulder and nearly groaned when he saw he'd grabbed the attention of most of the small café...and a couple reporters. Naturally.

"Sure." She reached out and took his hand. "Follow me."

Justin let her lead him through the kitchen and off to a side room that turned out to be a really small office. She dropped his hand so she could close and lock the door. Once there was no chance of them being disturbed, she turned back to him.

"What did you want to talk about? Is this about JC?"

"Sort of." Justin rubbed the back of his neck. "I was wondering what you could tell me about Marlene. She seems to be a regular here."

Carrie nodded. "She is, but I don't recommend you get involved with her. She's bad news."

"Why? What do you mean?" Justin asked.

"She only looks out for herself and do whatever it takes to get what she wants. Usually, bad things happen with her around."

Justin could sense her unease, like she was holding something back. He had a feeling what it was and he prompted, "Like magic?"

She looked at him surprised but quickly nodded. "Voodoo, actually. I don't know her personally, but I heard that her dad believed in voodoo except he used it for good. When it didn't save him from cancer, that's when everyone says she turned to the dark side of it."

Justin wasn't surprised by that. As soon as Marlene's name had come up, he'd had a feeling she was the one behind JC's kidnapping and Chris's sudden illness. But now he was certain of it.

"Do you know where she lives?" Justin asked.

"The corner of Saint Ann and Chartres. 683." She paused, biting her lip. "You think she has JC?"

Justin sighed, knowing that everything they'd been coached on for how much truth to give the public told him he shouldn't say anything. But she seemed pretty mature for her age and it wasn't likely she'd run off to tell the paparazzi. If anything, she might be able to help.

"Yeah, I do. But if he is, it's gonna be hard to get him out of there with all those reporters following us around." Justin took a breath, knowing he was about to ask a lot of a high school girl. "Do you think you could distract them while we get him out?"

She didn't even hesitate. "Of course. I'll do my best. When are you going to need them distracted?"

Justin ran a hand over his head, hating in moments like these where he didn't have hair to tug on. "I don't know. I think we'll need some time to prepare first. Can I call you?"

She nodded and gave him the private line to her bedroom at her parents' house. "You can call whenever, and I'll do my best to help any way I can."

"Thanks. You're awesome," Justin said, giving her a smile.

Then, without thinking, he stepped forward and kissed her cheek. It was a friendly thank you, and though she blushed, she still played it cool as they said goodbye. With that done, Justin raced back out to the table the guys had been sitting at.

"Let's go. We need to go back to Silvia's," he said, ignoring their curious looks. Explanations could wait until later, when they were somewhere more private.

**********

When they got back to Silvia's shop, they found her waiting for them. She said she'd had a feeling they would return. Justin then explained to her and the rest of the guys what he'd learned from Carrie and how certain he was that Marlene was the one who had JC.

"Yes, of course," Silvia murmured. "How could I have not seen it before?"

"You're not surprised that Marlene is behind this?" Lance asked.

Silvia shook her head. "I knew her father well and I tried to keep her on the right path, using voodoo the way it was intended. But she turned away from it because it hadn't been enough to save her father."

"So she went to someone who could teach her the evil ways to use voodoo?" Joey asked.

"Yes, she went to a very powerful witch doctor that practiced the ways of dark voodoo."

"How do we go against that?" Chris glanced at each of them before looking back at Silvia. "She had no trouble making me sick. I'm sure she'll do much worse if she catches us trying to save JC."

"She'll also likely have spells in place to protect her," Silvia added.

Justin grunted. "Great. So how do we get passed it? Is there some spell you can give us or something?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple," she began. "Yes, I can give you some tools that'll help protect you, but there's not much you can do to take the offensive. Beginners never have much luck with voodoo; spells usually backfire on them."

Joey frowned. "So what are we supposed to do?"

"Can we just not believe?" Lance asked. "I thought I'd heard somewhere that believing is what gives it the power in the first place."

"That's more of a myth than anything. People who don't want to believe in magic find a logical way to explain the things that happen," Silvia said.

Justin stood up from the small table he'd been sitting at. "We'll just have to outsmart her."

"You really think that'll work?" Chris asked, an eyebrow raised.

Justin shrugged and nodded. "Why not? She probably thinks we're freaking out over you being sick."

"But he's been out since he was healed," Lance pointed out. "She could've seen us, or someone could've been spying for her."

"She does have a pull over certain people in the community," Silvia said.

Joey looked at her. "Like they're under a voodoo spell?"

"Maybe. I think it's mostly out of fear of what she'll do to them. Or else, they're friends of hers."

"And even if we can outsmart her, that'll only get us so far," Chris said. "She'll catch on eventually and could make things ten times worse."

"Would Marie Laveau be of any more help?" Joey asked the room, but his eyes were on Silvia.

"If that thing with the grave was her favor to us, I doubt it," Lance said before Silvia could reply.

Silvia smiled at him gently and patted his hand, like she was humoring his opinion. "My dear, Marie Laveau doesn't always bestow one favor when asked. She does whatever she deems is necessary to help."

"But we probably shouldn't assume she'll step in somehow," Chris said.

Justin nodded. It would be foolish to just rely on the possibility of some dead oracle helping them somehow. They needed to do everything they could to make sure they had a fighting chance against Marlene because failure wasn't an option. They had to get JC back.

"Teach us whatever you can," Justin told Silvia. "At the very least, we need ways to distract her so the others can get to JC."

"I'll do my best, but it won't be easy."

"We don't need easy. We just need possible," Justin said.

He glanced at the guys and wasn't surprised to see that they had determined looks on their faces, no doubt reflecting his own expression. There was no telling how long it would take to catch on to the stuff Silvia would be teaching them, but hopefully it wouldn't take too long. The one thing Justin knew for sure was that they'd make their move to save JC before sunrise when they still had the cover of dark.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: brotherlylove celebritysync vacation