Author's Chapter Notes:

The next morning, I awake swaddled in a cocoon of sheets, manly arms wrapped around me and soft breaths on my forehead. I feel rested, but very tired. Bone tired.

The last few months have been such a whirlwind-so much work, so much planning, so much worrying that things won't go according to the well thought out plan. On top of all of that, dealing with JC and my hate for him. And then my love for him.

He's been the most tiresome element of all. Until last night, I didn't realize how tense I've been about him, around him. First I couldn't stand him, but I could never relax because he was always around. I'd go to lunch and he'd drop in and sit at my table. I'd go to the grocery store or the gym or drop by my best friend's house to say hi and he'd be there. I could never get away from him.  Then when we got over our issues and got back together, it was important to me to keep things under wraps, not just because of Nick and Morgan, but because of me.

And now everyone knows. Well, at least everyone on this island, but Nick and Morgan's parents are headed home today. By the time we get home in a few days, everyone back in Orlando will know.

I sigh and roll my shoulders, trying to tamp down rising anxiety. My movement stirs JC; he sucks in a deep breath through his nose and clears his throat. He tightens one arm around me, drawing me up against him. His other arm strokes from my waist to my thigh and back up.

"What's goin' on?" His voice is low, thick with sleep. "You're all... bunched up. What's up?"

"Nothing. I'm okay." I snuggle up against his warm form and snake an arm around his waist. He feels so good.

JC grumbles. "Mkay, now that the lying portion of our day is over with..."

"What?" I tip my head up and brush my lips against his stubbled cheek. "I'm fine."

"Whatever. Don't tell me, then."

"JC, I-"

"Angie." His tone of voice stops me from talking.  "You're still worried about everyone knowing about us."

"If you already know, why do you ask?"

"You never had any issues with telling me how you felt before. That shouldn't change. I'm a big boy. In more ways than one."  He stops to chuckle at his own joke. I try hard not to smile but I can't help it; he's so cheesy. "I can take it."

"Yes, I'm worried about it. I know I shouldn't be. I know everyone is happy for us. I know everyone's excited about us being back together. It's just... it's been so long. Like you said last night, some of our friends have never seen us together, have never seen us get along and love each other. It's like I don't know how to act around them. And I just know I'm going to hear ‘I told you so' for a long, long time."

"I'm sorry about that, sweetheart. But we weren't going to be able to avoid that, even if we'd have waited a couple more days. You realize that, right?"

I whimper into a well formed muscle in his chest. He flexes, which makes me laugh. "Can we hide up here for the rest of the trip?"

"Nope. We are going to enjoy every second of being on this island with our friends. We're going to enjoy every second of being together, on this island, with our friends."

Together. On this island. With our friends.

What the hell is wrong with me? Am I really moping and tense and anxious because my friends know I'm dating someone they've been begging me to date for as long as I can remember?  

Am I embarrassed that Tyler was, in fact, right, that JC was in love with me and if it was obvious to Tyler, it was obvious to everyone? Except me?

In a swift movement, I halfway sit up and plant a big, loud smooch on a surprised JC's lips. When I pull back, I giggle at the look on his face. "Hi, handsome. Good morning."

"Uh. Hello. Good morning. You're... okay now?"

I nod, grinning. "Yeah. You're right. We only have a couple of days left here and I'm being silly. Wasting time that could be much better spent."

His eyebrows shoot upward. "Much better spent, you say?"

"Uhm hmmm," I hum, tossing back the covers and moving around so that I straddle him. We'd had sex the night before, then had a shower together and crawled into bed naked. I perch atop him, feeling him grow behind me, his rugged physique rippling under my hands as I stroke from his waist and back up.

He doesn't waste time, roaming my body to cup to my breasts, rolling and kneading each one.  I moan and arch my back. He responds by gripping my hips, pulling and pushing me against his lengthening erection.

"Wanna ride?"

I don't answer, but I do grin and rise enough for him to reach under me. When he's ready, I sink down onto him, eyes closed, mouth open, sighing in elation. JC chuckles at the noises I make as I work my way down until I'm full.

"You were always so good on top."

"You only say that ‘cause it means you don't have to work as hard."

"Bullshit. I'm working down here."

My laughter soon turns to moans and groans and sighs of delight as I feel him push deeper into me from underneath, controlling my movements with his hands in a vice grip on my hips.

"Unph....  shit!"

"Good girl... that's it..."

JC grunts, deeply concentrating on building momentum.  In no time at all, my entire body is pulsing with orgasm, I'm misting sweat and I can't suck enough air from the warm room. Beneath me, JC lets out a long, satisfied moan.

I don't have the strength to sit up anymore so I tip forward and make myself at home on top of him. His arms close around me and I feel his heart wildly thumping under my cheek. kathumpkathumpkathump.  The sound soothes me. I used to love to squeeze right up against him and listen to his heart beat.  

We lay in silence for a while, enjoying each other. JC pulls his fingers through my hair, working out the tangles that he put in it.

"So. What are we doing today?" He asks, breaking the comfortable silence.

I shrug a shoulder. For the first time since we hit the island, we don't have anything we have to do. All of the pre-arranged events and rehearsals and outings are done. The wedding is over. As of the end of the reception last night, we're all on vacation.

"Whatever we want to do," I tell him. "There is kayaking today at noon, though."

"Now that's something I haven't done in awhile."

"Yeah, I thought it sounded fun when we planned the excursions for the week."

"So everyone's going, then?"

I yawn and sit up, moving to JC's side and stretching one arm into the air. Just a few minutes of immobility after a quick romp has made me stiff already. "Everyone but Jackie. But she can ride in the boat."

JC leans over to turn the face of the digital alarm clock toward us. It's nearly 9am. "Guess we'd better get moving, then." He sits up, then swings his legs over the side of the bed and stands. I can't pass up an opportunity to smack such a well-formed, shapely, albeit pale cheek.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You need to find a nude beach and tan your ass. That's what that was for."

"I'm pale. I've always been pale. You of all people know that."

I giggle, remembering that his pale ass was one of the things I lovingly picked on him about. When we'd spend time at Lake Conway and actually get in the lake, I'd tease that he was so bright I could see him in the dark.

"That hasn't changed, I see."

"Plenty of other stuff has changed." He grins, bending over to pick up the shorts he wore the night before. He slides them over his hips, pulling the keycard to his room from one pocket. "I'm going to just bring my bags over here and check out of my room. Save Nick a few bucks. That okay?"

I nod, beaming. "That's a good idea. You're over here all the time anyway. Do you want to do breakfast at the restaurant or up here?"

JC is already at the door, is hand on the knob. "Wherever you want to eat is fine with me. So long as we eat. Be right back."

While JC is gone, I start the shower and hop in. A few minutes later, he joins me, taking the sudsy towel from my hands and rubbing my skin with fragrant shower gel. It feels so good, almost like a massage. When he's done soaping, he directs me to stand under the spray of water and I rinse, then we switch places.

This is new for us and I'm enjoying every opportunity I can get to share a shower or a bath with JC. I suppose it'll get old soon, but we rarely got the chance to see each other completely naked, let alone shower together. Call it making up for lost time.

JC stands still while I scrub him, one hand against the tile wall, the other grasping the top of the shower curtain rod. I take my time, and great pleasure in cleaning him. He's erect, the tip of him red and wanting.

"Do you want some help with that?"

He shrugs one shoulder, catching my eye with a smoky stare. "If you feel like it."

If I feel like it. I roll my eyes and bend at the waist, taking him into my mouth. He tenses, but then relaxes as I work him, applying light suction and swirling my tongue around him from base to tip and back again.  It doesn't take long until he is moaning and thrusting his hips, then shuddering in release. When I he's finished, I continue scrubbing him clean.

"There." I reach around him to turn off the tepid shower. "All better. Now you won't be in a kayak with a hard on."

JC laughs, the sound bouncing off of the linoleum tile.

###

I figured everyone else would show for breakfast at the on-resort restaurant. We could eat and head down to the bus together. Sure enough, our crew is seated at a long table near a window. JC and I appear to be the last ones arriving. They'd saved two seats across from one another.

JC sits next to Matt; I give Jackie a brief hug before I sit next to her. Down the row, everyone's plate is a smorgasbord of food from quiche to bacon to French toast and pancakes.

"Breakfast is a buffet," Jackie informs me, in between bites of turkey bacon. "Just grab a plate and load up." She points to the stack of white plates at the end of what seems like an endless buffet of food piled high.

"I'll grab you something," says JC, already standing.

"It's okay, I'm coming." I start to stand and JC shoots me a look.

"Sit.  I know what you like. I'll get it."

"Better stay put," says Keith, smirking mid bite of eggs and toast. "Sounds like he might take you over his knee if you disobey."

JC halfway glares, then the furrowed brow disappears and he smiles. "Nah, she actually likes that spanking stuff," he says, then saunters away toward the buffet, leaving me red faced and sputtering at the table.

Everyone's laughing and for a few seconds I feel like I'm about to star in my own nightmare. But then everyone goes back to ribbing Jackie about how she's eating for more than two. She laughs, snorts, and then downs another piece of bacon. I jump in and try to defend my poor, pregnant, defenseless friend and by the time JC makes it back with my plate, the entire table is in hysterics.

Amid the noise, the protests, the laughing I glance up at JC from my perfect plate of chocolate chip pancakes, fresh fruit and orange juice. He's spreading a napkin over his lap and ordering coffee for the both of us. He catches my eye, his look lingering for a long second before he says, quietly, "Eat up. It's getting cold."

I pick up my fork and dig in, rejoining the laughter at poor Jackie's expense.

*

By early afternoon, the whole gang is on the hotel bus, traveling the dark paved road, headed a few miles past the resort toward the crystal blue waters flanked on either side by rock formations. The bus is full, so it's not just our group headed toward the river where we'll don lifejackets and climb into kayaks and drift down the river.

Up front, our guide goes over safety precautions and hands out a stack of forms and enough pens to go around.

"Okay, lawyers," says Keith, twisting around to talk to JC and I. "This thing doesn't say I'm signing away my firstborn, does it?"

JC laughs, scanning the few paragraphs of legalese before answering. "Nope. Just says that it's not their fault if you die, and also JC gets your classic Corvette."  Half of the bus laughs, none louder than Keith.

"Right, you want that rusting piece of junk that's been sitting on blocks in my backyard since before I got married."

"Hey man, it's a classic. Might be worth something if you get it running. What's wrong with it?"

The guys talk shop about Keith's vintage, banana yellow '77 Corvette and what it would take to get it off the blocks and on the street. Soon it becomes a project of sorts, a challenge to Keith to be cruising International Boulevard by summer. I glance at Bridget-I know that look and she knows Keith all too well. That car will probably still be on blocks next July.

The bus makes a left turn and pulls into a rudimentary parking lot, marked only by rubble and gravel and not brush, grass and trees. As we pile off the bus, life vest in hand, we give our waiver slips to the guide. He collects them all and then helps others put on and tighten the inflatable orange vest.

"Here, let me get that for you." JC turns me around, snaps the black fasteners together and then pulls the straps so they're snug. "You alright? Too tight? Not tight enough?"

"It's fine. Feels good. Thanks. You want me to get yours?" I tighten his vest and make sure he's secure. Last I remember, JC isn't much of a swimmer.

From the parking lot, I see the calm surface of the river we're about to float on. The kayaks are all lined up along the shore, ready for groups of two. Our guides use bullhorns so that everyone can hear them dictate instructions. They'll be in boats in front of and behind us. Jackie will be riding in the lead boat with the head guide.

It's been years since I even saw a kayak, let alone sat in one. I hope it's like riding a bike-- you never forget. Otherwise, I'm going to have to do some quick learning.

I watch Nick and Morgan step into their kayak, Nick in front. Everyone else follows suit: Tyler and Jade, Bridget and Keith. Matt commandeers a single man kayak and already looks like a pro. An avid water sports fan, Matt has at least seen a kayak in the last few years.  JC steps into the first opening and sits, and then turns to me, still standing on the bank of the river.

JC stares for a few moments. The effort he is putting into not laughing is not lost on me. Finally he asks, "Are you waiting for an invitation?"

"No. I just... I'm just getting ready."

"For what? Someone to pick you up and put you in the seat? Come on, let's go."

For some reason my feet don't move. It occurs to me that I am actually afraid to get into this little wooden contraption and float down the river. I don't even know if I can still swim! What if we tip over?

The worry must show on my face. JC seems to hold back a sigh and stands up, then steps out of the kayak. He grips me by my forearms and pulls me so close, his forehead touches mine.  

"We don't have to do this," he says, his voice almost a whisper. "We can have the bus take us back and we'll do something else. Say the word. It's okay if you don't want to get in this thing."

"I don't want to go back," I manage to spit out. "I'm just... I'm scared." And I feel stupid for being scared. I eat big, nasty landlords for lunch. It's my job to get in the face of some of the most unscrupulous attorneys in Orange County. But I'm scared of this little wooden thing, that I'm sure has been used a hundred times over?

"I get that. But I'm right here. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. And you see this?" He grips my orange life vest, dingy and faded from many trips up and down the river. "I made this extra safe and extra tight. Just in case."

My eyes flick upward, I'm sure full of the fear that just shot down my back. "Just in case what?"

JC smiles. "Honey, don't ask. Don't even think about it. You're fine. It's going to be okay. Just... just get in, alright? It'll be fun, I promise."

I nod, take a huge breath and let JC guide me into the space behind him. Once I'm securely in the seat, JC resumes his spot. He's handed an oar, a thick plane of wood as long as he is tall. We receive some last minute instruction from the guides and then they push each kayak into the water. My heart is in my throat as I realize we're floating. No turning back now.

I distract myself by watching JC dip the paddle into the water on the left, and then on the right, then the left and then the right. The muscles in his back ripple through the thin white t-shirt he's wearing. His biceps bulge with each stroke, and the muted breath he heaves with each dip is actually kind of sexy. After a few minutes I settle in and relax. The day is gorgeous-- clear blue skies, warm but not hot. Birds fly above, wildlife scurries about on the land around the river, the sound of the water gently churns around the hull... so hypnotic and calming. 

"How you doing, back there?" JC says, over his shoulder, while the paddle dips into the water on the left. The others are a few feet ahead, all of us lazily winding our way downriver. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm good. This is nice, actually. Are you going to have to row the entire time?"

"Nah," he answers, over his right shoulder this time. "Eventually we can just coast. The current isn't strong here, so I'm just pushing us a long. It's not too bad. Check out Tyler over there, though." He tips his head toward his brother and Jade, in their kayak.

Tyler is already sweating and red in the face, heaving with every dip into the water. I'm thinking that he and Jade might have to trade places, eventually. I laugh at the thought of his girlfriend being hardier than him.

"Hey!" JC calls out, in Tyler's direction. "You don't have to work that hard. This is calm water... save your energy for the rapids."

Tyler seems to heave a sigh of relief and stops chopping into the water like a mad man. They float, nice and easy, just like everyone else guiding their kayak into line behind us. I watch the scenery roll by and let it sink in that I'm in a kayak on a river on St. Lucia with all my friends. And JC.

I let myself breathe a sigh of happiness and slouch down in my seat.

"You alright?" JC asks, without turning around.

I nod, but he can't see me, so I accompany it with, "Yup. Just happy."

He's silent for a few seconds, then simply says, "That's good."

For more than an hour, we float, coast and drift our way downriver. The ride seems easy enough that I'm not even sure what the big deal is about kayaking. That is, until I see the white caps topping the miniature waves and the loud rush of water just ahead of us.

The guide in the lead boat stands, his bullhorn in hand. "These waters are a little rough, but not too bad. Row steadily, maintain control, don't lean to one side or the other." He pauses, then adds, "Passengers, don't panic. Sit up straight, don't lean. We'll be through this patch in no time and then we'll break for lunch."

I'm nervous, understandably. I never knew water could roar so loudly and I'm not exactly sure we can make it through these waves. "Uhm...JC..."

"One second, honey. I'm playing Indiana Jones right now."

The current is already swift, throwing itself around the body of the kayak, pulling us here and there. JC is, somehow, skillfully navigating the path around the rocks and through the rushing water. 

I sit up, focusing on the muscles in his back, working in symphony, bulging and rippling, then resting, then working again. His neck is red from sun exposure. We put on sun block but I make a note to put some more on him when we stop for lunch. After we get out of this rough terrain, through which I'm holding onto the kayak so tightly that my knuckles are white and my joints ache.

Relax, relax, relax, I tell myself. Don't lean, you'll tip us over. Even though I know it's nearly impossible to do so, I've convinced myself that I can cause us to tip over by moving. I'm deathly still, staring at JC's back, waiting for the moment when I don't feel the river fighting for our souls.

Very suddenly, the waters seem much calmer. The river gurgles and ripples; there are no crashing waves. I let a quiet sigh of relief escape my lips.

"You alive back there? Did you need something?" JC twists around to talk to me, the oar balanced on his knees. His face is tomato red and wet with either sweat or mist from the river. His eyes are a brilliant blue, though sparkling at me as he stares. His grin splits his face ear to ear and the laugh lines around his eyes tell me he's having a ball.

"I'm alive," I answer. I even manage a genuine smile. "I needed you to be careful and not kill us, but you already had it handled."

"It hurts my feelings that you doubt that I'll take care of you."

"Poor you. I'm the one back here wondering if my will is up to date."

"It's not any less scary being up here. I've got it under control though. You trust me?"

"Yes, I trust you." I pause, then add. "It's the river I don't trust."

He chuckles, the sound echoing through the canyon of high rocks we're drifting between. "Hey, you know what this reminds me of?"

"What?"

"Remember that summer we all went to that kids camp?"

I grin, the memories rolling back. Yes, that would be the first and last time I saw a kayak.  "And you wonder why I'm scared to be in this thing with you?"

"I didn't mean to tip it over..."

"Sure you didn't. And you didn't mean to forget that I was wearing a white t-shirt. And you forgot to stop staring at my boobs through my wet white t-shirt."

"Do you blame me?" His grin is evil and mischievous. I can't help but adore it. "They were spectacular."

"Are you guys talking about that time at Chippewa Youth Camp, when JC threw Angie out of the kayak just so her shirt would get wet and he could see her boobs?" Tyler rolls past us, and if a kayak could saunter, his would be doing it.

"I didn't throw her out of the kayak."

"You made it tip so I would fall out. Same thing."

"And that's not why I-never mind. I've been tried and convicted, here. I see that now."

JC dips an oar into the water and pushes us forward. I giggle with memories of that summer, when we'd just started to notice each other and JC's preteen hormones were going wild.

Mine weren't all that wholesome either. JC wore swim trunks that were pretty clingy and I liked watching him come out of the water, the fabric of his shorts outlining the assets that every girl was drooling over and talking about.

"You should just admit it," I tease him. "You wanted to see me wet, just like I wanted to see you wet."

"Even if that were true-which it isn't-I was thirteen. How do you hold that against a thirteen year old? I mean... come on. Boobs."

"Exactly. Boobs have gotten you into a lot of trouble."

"Hey, don't get mouthy. I'll do it again."

"The guy said you can't tip these things."

"He said you can't easily tip them. It can be done."

"I don't think so, JC."

"You don't, huh?" JC takes off like a bolt of lightning, using the oar to speed us along the river, passing up Keith and Bridget, then Nick and Morgan. Then, in a sudden, jerky move, he shoves his body to one side of the kayak, causing us to roll to the right.

I'm screaming-while laughing, but I still don't seriously think he can tip this craft. That is, until he gives us another shove. The boat rolls too far to the right this time and the weight of our bodies sends us over the edge. I land in the water with my mouth open, mid scream, and sink below the surface.

Seconds later, I bob back up, spitting water and pushing hair out of my eyes. JC is holding me by the straps of my lifejacket, but far enough away that my windmill of slaps and punches don't land.

"You ASSHOLE! You just had to be right! I was joking!"

"I told you I could tip it." I hear the giggle in his voice and this pisses me off more. "You should never dare me, Angie. You know that."

"I didn't dare you, fucker. I just said I didn't think you could tip it."

"Same thing," he answers, with a shrug of a shoulder.

"It's so not the same fucking thing!" I lunge at him, but the guide boat comes around.

"Alright kids. Break it up," he says, amusement all over his face. Jackie is outwardly laughing. I'm sure she's already filled him in on how long this bickering has been going on, but we recently got back together and aren't in the habit of loving each other yet.

He's athletic and superhumanly strong, since he pulls me up out of the water by gripping me under my arms. "Rest here for a second. You'll get back into your kayak after lunch." He then leans over the side of the boat and says to JC, "Sir, I need you to grab that craft and float it over to that flat, grassy land there. That's where we'll break for lunch."

JC tosses the oar into the now empty vessel and grips the edge of it, doggy paddling his way toward the shore. I hope he's sufficiently embarrassed, but I know he's just so damn proud of himself. He likes to be right. He loves to prove other people wrong. Just, sometimes it's not a fucking competition.

We dock the boat and everyone pushes their kayaks up onto the bank, then climbs out for our picnic lunch. From the guide boat comes a cooler of sandwiches and drinks, bags of chips and paper plates and napkins. I grab a ham and cheese sandwich and a bag of Doritos and some napkins and plant myself in a spot on the grass. Thankfully I thought far enough ahead to wear a swimsuit under my shorts and t-shirt, so I slip them off and lay them out in the sun, hoping they'll dry a bit before we have to get back in the kayak.

I spot JC, with his sandwich, chips and a can of Pepsi hiking up the small hill toward me. I scowl, biting into my sandwich, angrily chewing. Saying nothing, he plops down beside me, legs crossed, and unwraps his sandwich.

 "How is it?" he asks.

"It's a sandwich. It tastes like a sandwich. It's not gourmet or anything."

"Alright, alright. Just making conversation. How long are you going to be mad at me? Just having a little fun."

"At my expense. It's always at my expense. Your idea of just having fun is to embarrass me or scare me. We can't even joke about tipping a kayak without you having to prove something. I feel like you're still lashing out at me. Why should I be with you if you're still going to treat me the same?"

He doesn't answer, but I don't expect him to. His legs are bent, elbows propped up on his knees. He chews slowly, the slowest I've ever seen him eat a sandwich, bite after bite until he's done, then balls up the plastic wrap and tosses it into the box we're using to collect garbage.

"It wasn't like that," he finally says. "I was never lashing out at you. All that stuff I used to do-it wasn't because I was mad at you or because I hated you. I was just trying to get your attention. Showing off. Bra snapping. Because men are mentally thirteen. I see a pretty girl and I want her to think I'm big and bad and strong. I want her to notice me."

"I noticed you."

He looks over at me, his face full of genuine concern.  "Are you okay? Did you get hurt, falling out?"

"I'm fine," I tell him. "It didn't hurt. I was just mad. And surprised. But you know... we're on a river and I had my swimsuit on and if you can't get wet on a river in your swimsuit, when can you?"

"That's how I feel about it."  He pops the top on his can of soda and takes a swig. After a few meaningful moments, he leans into me and says, "I did tip the kayak on purpose that one time. The guys all said if you get a girl's shirt wet, you can see her boobs right through it. I wanted to try it."

I smile and elbow him. "Duh.  I knew that. Was it boobs the second time too?"

"You know it." He slurps down the rest of his soda while I giggle. In one hand he crushes the can and tosses it into the garbage box.

I ate about half my sandwich and a few bites of chips but I decide I am done and hand my leftovers to him. I expect him to toss them into the garbage, but he finishes them off.

"Worked up an appetite, did you?"

He glances at me, wiggles his brows a few times, his eyes sparkling again. "Not just for food. You just wait until tonight."

A warm feeling fills the pit of my belly. I recognize it, but don't want to acknowledge it. Instead I lean up against him, my hands clasped around the bulk of his bicep. "You're kind of an asshole. I don't know when you turned into him, and sometimes I kind of hate him-"

"You know exactly when I turned into him. But he's your asshole and sometimes you kind of love him."

I blush, not wanting to outwardly agree with him. Instead I tip my head up so our lips meet and peck him on the lips. They're soft and warm. And he tastes like Pepsi.

"No more thirteen year old boy things, okay? I can only take one of those incidences today."

"Can I still snap your bra?"

I laugh, then push myself up, brushing grass off of my bare legs. JC watches me with deliberate determination before he stands and does the same. I reach for the clothes I laid out. They're slightly drier but I have no desire to put wet clothes back on. I hand them to Jackie to lay out somewhere on the boat and step back inside our kayak in just my swimsuit and life vest.

"No, no, no." JC says. "You get in front, so I can see you. I'll still row, but there's no way you're in that hot little number behind me."

I roll my eyes but smile and move to the front seat. It's much different up front, where I'm not blocked by JC's back. I'm hoping we don't have any wild currents this afternoon. I'm in the mood to just coast.

###

 "That was fun, you guys!"

Morgan is chipper and chatty as usual. We've arrived back at the resort after our afternoon on the river. I didn't do much but I sure am tired and sore. I can't imagine how JC and the other guys feel, after having to carry out all the heavy work-the rowing, pulling and pushing the kayaks up to the banks for our breaks.

JC and I headed straight to my our room- to shower off some of the lake dirt and grime and put on clean, dry clothes. Dinner was at the fire pit on the beach for a laid back, beachside meal.

We dine on fire-grilled shrimp and crab legs, baked potatoes and corn on the cob while sitting around a crackling, sparking fire. The sunset gives everything a fiery, rosy glow, making the scene so romantic. Well, as romantic as a scene can be with eight of your closest friends.

"That was really fun," says Jackie, looking pretty in her pink maternity sundress, with the waning sunlight illuminating her rosy cheeks. "Well it looked really fun. Next time I want to be in a kayak. Matt can be in the boat with the baby."

"We should totally do that next summer. We should find out if we can kayak on Victoria." Morgan directs this to Nick, referring to the lake their house sits on. "I mean, we'd just have to rent some, right?"

"Probably. I've seen them out there," says Nick.

"And I bet we could even kayak on Lake Conway, right JC?"

He's been quiet most of the night and throughout the conversation, leaning up against the base of a palm tree. The only reason I'm sitting up is because I'm leaning up against him, my back at his chest. I feel him shrug his shoulders in mild agreement. "Probably. Seems deep enough."

"JC's house is closer to everyone," says Keith. "We're at least an hour from Victoria."

I sense JC tensing up and I don't know why. He loves to host at his house. "Yeah, but-"

"That would be totally fun next summer! Just wait until I have this baby and get my beach body back." The group laughs and Jackie flips them all the bird, with both hands. "Fuck all of you people," she says, but I hear the mirth in her voice. She points to Morgan, "Especially you. I'm laughing my ass off when you're big and uncomfortably pregnant."

"Ha ha," Morgan offers back. "But really, that was totally fun. I wonder if it's still warm enough to go out again this year. JC, how often do you see boats out on the lake in October or November?"

"Uhm....pretty late, I guess. I've seen people jet ski in December if it's a warm winter." JC shifts, as if he's uncomfortable, which makes me shift. "The thing is, guys... I don't want to bum you out but my house might not be available next summer."

Tyler snorts. "You mean cause you and Angie are gonna create a little love nest that no one else can penetrate?"

"Uh, no." JC can't help but chuckle at the idea though. "Because... well, because my uncle is coming back to Florida and he might want his house back. In fact, I'm planning on him wanting his house back."

This is news to me. I sit up and twist around so I can see him. "When did that happen? Does it have anything to do with your super secret post Perry job plans?"

"Just recently. He's been talking about it for awhile. Then, a couple of weeks ago, he let me know it was happening."

"When?" Tyler asks. "Do mom and dad know?"

"Probably after the first of the year. And no, they don't know. He wants to be the one to tell them."

JC's uncle is a prominent criminal attorney who made a name for himself wherever he went. He started out in Maryland, then moved his family and practice south, then got an opportunity to go in a new direction and provide legal counsel to a Wall Street securities firm. He was surely set for life, a few times over. Was he coming to Florida to retire, or practice law?

"So, you think he'll kick you out of your house?"

"His house, honey," he reminds me. "And maybe. I'm okay with it, if it comes to that." He settles back against the tree and pulls me close to him, back where I was before he dropped a bomb on the group. "But, you know... of course I'll have access to the place, so if we want to hang out or throw a party, no problem."

"I'd feel weird if you weren't living there," says Bridget. "I don't even remember where you used to live, you've been there so long."

JC laughs. "It's only been four years. And I lived with my parents."

"Well, you're not going back there are you?"

"Nah," he says, jokingly feeling for the strap of my bra and pulling it, releasing it quickly so it snaps against my skin. "I think I'm going to move in with you."

My eyes involuntarily roll. My apartment is small, 650 square feet. I'd probably kill him after a week in such close quarters.

The group moves on to a different topic and then a completely different topic after that. The sun has set and the air coming off the waves is more cold than cool. The wind is kicking up sand and I decide, very suddenly, that I am ready to be back in my room.

I untangle myself from JC, who is deep in conversation with Keith about the Corvette again. I drop a kiss on his cheek and whisper in his ear, "I'm calling it a night. See you upstairs."

"I'll walk you up," he says, and starts to stand.

I push him back down and insist he stay. "I'll be fine. You can watch me walk up the path to the building." I point up the hill, to the path I'm going to take that's completely visible from where we're sitting. "Stay. I'll be okay."

He eyes me for a few seconds and then gives me a brief nod before returning to his conversation. I wave good bye to my friends and pick my way up the walk toward Lover's Lagoon.

 "Hey. Hey, Angie... hold up." I turn, surprised to see Tyler following me up the walk. "I told him I'd walk you up."

I'm amused and stay where I am, arms crossed, waiting for him to catch up to me. "What is it with you Chasez boys? You don't think girls can do things by themselves?"

Panting, but smiling, Tyler offers his elbow and begins escorting me up the steep hill. "That's not it at all; you know that. Just making sure you get where you're going, safe and sound. And uh... I wanted to talk to you."

"About JC?"

"Sort of. And about Jade."

"What about her?" I work hard to control my involuntary flinch at the sound of her name. I don't mind her, I swear. I just don't quite completely trust her yet. Though, this week she's been a trooper about putting up with me.

"Are you and her cool now? She said you talked."

"Yeah, we did. I told her not to fuck with your heart, you're practically my baby brother and I'd mess her up."

Tyler laughs, one of this big hearty laughs I love from him. "Damn. I've got a mobster in the family. That's good to know."

"Yeah. I'm violent. Ask JC, I about took his head off today."

We crest the hill toward Lover's Lagoon, the groupings of buildings in sight. I nod toward an empty table with a red umbrella that flaps in the light breeze coming off of the water. I sai; Tyler drops next to me, then leans forward, elbows on his knees.

"So. Jade says you two are getting your own place soon." He nods, rubbing his hands together. "It's that serious? It's that real?"

"It's that serious. It's that real." He sits up and clasps two meaty hands together tightly. He's so nervous. I think it's cute. "She's... really cool. Funny. Caring. Motivated, career wise. We want the same things. And she cares about me. No girl has ever cared about me like she does. And... I know you think she's making a play for JC by being here, but he makes it pretty obvious he only has eyes for you. She couldn't steal him if she wanted to."

He gazes at me with those soulful, deep brown eyes. "He always has only had eyes for you, even when it didn't seem like it. Remember, I used to always tell you-"

I nod, laughing. "That JC was in love with me. I remember. You get points for being right about that."

"So you admit it, then? He's in love with you."

"Yeah. He's in love with me." I don't think I ever said it before, not out loud. That made it real.

"So, then... if you know he's in love with you, and if you believe I love Jade and that she cares about me...." His gaze drops and he shifts uncomfortably. "I want her to be a part of the family. Our family. The family you're every bit a part of, too, because you know what's coming next."

I don't pretend to not know what he's talking about.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers oral girlontop love firsttime hotel boyfriendjc jc teenagelove time alternateuniverse lawyerjc