Author's Chapter Notes:

Ending the story here. There was more, but I'll add it as a deleted scene. I lost the story after this and don't have a desire to write more. 

 It feels like the first day of school, nerves and all.   I pace the length of the walk-in closet, perusing my wardrobe options. For my first day at Chasez Law Group, I want to be smart and sophisticated but still comfortable. 

"What are you worried about?" JC calls from his spot in the middle of the bed. The TV remote is balanced on his belly while the latest episode of Top Chef blares from the surround sound speakers. "You've already impressed anyone you need to impress."

"Really?" I poke my head out of the closet and peer across the room at him. "What did Pete say? He wasn't worried about me, was he?"

"I was talking about me."

I roll my eyes and head back into the closet. But he's right. JC is the Managing Partner and clearly has the ear of his uncle. I was hired before I was even offered the job. I know I don't have much to worry about... but I'm still nervous. A new job, a new office, new clients, new boss, new coworkers. Plenty to be nervous about. What if the only thing I like about the change in circumstances is that I work with my fiancé?

And then there's that. JC and I will be far enough away from each other that he won't be up my ass, but how well will we mesh when we're under pressure, when there are a lot of case files on my desk and I haven't eaten in eight hours? How will the rest of the staff feel about JC's fiancée being a Senior Associate?

I sigh, pushing all of those unanswered questions from my mind. I can't help what other people say or think. I'm happy to be moving forward- and to be doing it arm in arm with someone I love. One day, Peter Chasez will retire. If JC takes over the firm, that would put us both in a good position.

But first we have to build the firm. And to do that, I have to show up for my first day. Which means I need to pick something to wear to work. I close my eyes and reach for something, dragging it out of the closet and holding it out.

"What is this?"

"What do you mean what is that?"

"My eyes are closed. What is it?"

"Why are-" JC makes that sound he makes when he thinks I'm crazy. "It's that dark blue dress with the deep v-cut neckline. You wear it with a white thing that unfortunately covers up your amazing rack."

"Do you like me in it?"

"Yeah. Except for the part where I can't look down your dress."

"Is it appropriate for work?"

"Again.....when you cover up your boobs... yeah. It's fine. Wear it."

I open my eyes, give the dress a once over for wrinkles or stains and nod before hanging it on a hook outside the closet door. "What are you wearing?"

"I don't know," he mumbles. "I'll pick something out tomorrow. I'm not as concerned about being appropriate."

Satisfied that I am ready for the day, I climb up onto the bed and snuggle up next to JC. He's warm and manly-scented and the kind of strong that is comforting and soothing. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me close. I feel his heartbeat under my cheek and smile to myself.

"What are you smiling at?"

"How do you know I'm smiling?"

"Mirror." He points toward the mirror that hangs over the dresser. The image of the two of us huddled together in the middle of an enormous bed makes me smile wider. "I'm watching you grin like a fool."

"I was just thinking back to this time last year. You would have never been able to convince me that we'd be living together, working together and engaged."

He chuckles. "I know. It would have sounded like the cruelest joke."

"It would have been that bad for you? Even though you knew you were in love with me?"

"I didn't know, back then. I just knew I couldn't stand to be around you but I couldn't stay away from you."

"Well..." I pause to yawn and draw my arm across his belly. I'm getting sleepier by the second and ready for a good night's rest. "Now you don't have to stay away from me. I'm gonna be around all the time."

"All the time," he repeats. He sounds morose.

I open my eyes and sit up a little so I can see his face. "See, you're worried about it too!"

His face clouds before his lips bend into a smile.  He gives my ass a pat as he reassures me. "I'm not worried, Angie. I'm just... I don't think it hit me till you said it. All the time."

I return to my warm spot on JC's chest and feel it rising and falling with his breaths. "It'll be fine," he says quietly, out of the blue. It sounds like he's talking to himself.

&

I'm not ready for the alarm when it goes off at six am. The sun hasn't risen and it's chilly and I haven't seen this time of day in almost a month... but I'm so excited about this new day that as soon as I realize it's morning and I need to get up, I hop right out of bed and head for the shower.

I quickly scrub down, rinse off and hop out so JC can get in. We'd already agreed that joint showers don't save us time because JC plays grab hands and I spend half the shower fighting him off. At least on work days, we take separate showers.

I pass JC on his way into the bathroom. He doesn't seem awake yet, but he lifts his palm as he brushes by me. I slap him a high five. "Morning," he grumbles, before the door slams shut.

An hour later, the toaster spits out two golden brown slices. I spread a pat of butter around each one and place one on each plate that already has eggs and slices of bacon. The clack of expensive shoes on Spanish tile and the spicy scent of Givenchy cologne announce JC's arrival downstairs.

"Smells good down here."

I turn at the sound of his voice and the swish of an expensive, lined jacket. I'm not quite prepared for the sight of him-tall, slim, clean shaven in a dark blue suit, crisp white dress shirt, blue, tan and white striped tie and navy blue crocodile leather shoes. His hair, still slightly damp, just reaches his shirt collar and is combed back from his forehead in waves. He's breathtaking and standing in the light of sunrise, his deep blue eyes twinkle as he smiles at me.

"You like?" He takes a few steps into the kitchen, walking past me, then turns and walks back before striking a pose.

I giggle at his catwalk and try not to blush. I'm reminded of that day in Junior High when I realized JC was cute. Really cute.  "I like. Very much. You're quite handsome, Mr. Chasez."

"I know." He pulls out a chair at the spot I've set for him and tucks his tie into the inside pocket of his jacket. "Make sure I fix that, so I don't walk into work looking like an idiot. Speaking of..." He checks his watch while simultaneously shoveling a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "We should hit the road in about ten minutes. I don't want to be late."

JC, at least, is done with breakfast in minutes and loading his plate and coffee cup into the dishwasher.  Right behind him, I do the same, then rush upstairs to brush my teeth, grab my purse and my work bag. JC stands at the door with nothing but keys in his hand.

"You don't have anything to drag to work?"

"Nah, I'm not a girl." He smirks as he pulls the door shut behind me. The car is already running and pulled out of the garage. I dump my bags in the backseat and slide into the car beside him. The whole car smells like him.

"You have enough cologne on, you think?"

"Need people to smell me comin'."

He reaches for the seat belt, but before pulling it across his chest, he leans onto the arm rest. I close the space between us and give him a long, loud smooch. "You alright?" He asks, as he snaps himself in and puts the car in reverse.

I nod, clasping my hands together in my lap. My heart is beating out of my chest and I'm about to break a sweat, but I'll never admit that to JC.

"You still seem nervous," he muses, stealing sidelong glances at me. "It's really going to be okay."

"I know, babe. I know. I'm just... it's good to be nervous. You know? Don't want to be too cocky." I swing my head from my view of the Orlando landscape racing by to him in the driver's seat. "You're seriously not nervous."

He shrugs. "Why would I be? I'm the boss." His throaty chuckle and smarmy grin make me smile. And calm down a little. He reaches across the seat and grabs a hand, pulling it to his lips. We ride that way for a while and I realize that I'm not shaking and I'm not about to have a heart attack anymore.

"I'm excited," he admits. "I'm really looking forward to this. I've been thinking about this... planning it forever. Long, late night phone calls and video conferences with my Uncle. Fighting for some things. Fighting against others. Putting everything together. Watching it happen. I'm excited."

"You should be very proud of yourself. You did a good thing."

"We'll see," he says, nodding slightly. I have the tiniest inkling that he might be a little bit nervous.

The drive to the office is a half hour on a good day. A Monday morning is not a good day, so it takes us about forty five minutes to swing into the parking lot. I hadn't been to the building in a week or so and in that time, parking spaces had been assigned. I roll my eyes at the prominent space marked J Chasez, Managing Partner.

"Good God," I murmur as I release my seat belt and pop the door handle.

JC chuckles, then adds, "Don't laugh too hard. You have a spot too." He points to the spot next to him and I have to get out of the car to inspect my reserved parking sign. 

E Blake, Senior Associate. Holy shit.

The parking lot is dotted with cars as we walk to the front door. From the side of the building, Tyler lumbers up the sidewalk, briefcase under his arm while he tightens his tie. His tan slacks and brown shoes look new, but I recognize the dark blue jacket as one of the few pieces he bought when he started taking court cases.

"Morning," he calls out, his grin wide and bright. His cheeks are pink and brown eyes warm. "Uh... starting some new fashion trend with your tie, bro?"

JC glances down, pulls his tie out of his inner pocket and straightens it while glaring at me. "Thanks for having my back, baby."

JC pulls open the heavy glass door already etched with Chasez Law Group in bold white letters. Walking into our new offices feels... magical. It still smells like fresh paint and plastic sheeting and milled wood and new carpet. The floors are shiny and the high ceilings echo the faint sounds of a machine just beginning to chug.

"Good morning, Mr. Chasez."

The receptionist stands as we approach her desk, a chest-high, curved, dark wood structure. She's petite, mid 40's and dressed to the nines with a smart bob haircut. To one side of her desk is the guest seating area and Administrative offices. To the other side are the Associate offices, the stairs leading to the second floor and the hallway to the back of the building which houses the network room and secured storage closets.

"Good morning Patricia." JC stops to lean against the desk. "Everything okay so far?"

"On schedule, like clockwork. There's fresh coffee and bagels in the kitchen. Do you need anything?"

He shakes his head as he pushes off of the desk and walks toward the stairs. Tyler is already headed to his office. The phone rings and Patricia resumes her seat, plugging her earbud back in as she answers a call. "Good morning; Chasez Law Group."

"Like the sound of that," says JC as we climb the stairs together. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers oral girlontop love firsttime hotel boyfriendjc jc teenagelove time alternateuniverse lawyerjc