Chapter 2: Case of the Mistaken Identity

I still hate clubs, yet here I am at another one. That's two clubs in just four days; two different clubs, but still two clubs. I don't know how I let myself get talked into these things. The girls at work convinced me to go out with them along with my sister and Patrick. There's eight of us including myself and I think I'm the only sober one besides Madison. If I stay here much longer I'll be forced to join them in their drunken haze.

I thought that I might actually enjoy myself this time. I really did need to go somewhere to unwind after the day I had. God it sucked. My first patient of the day delivered a stillbirth and the second was a druggy who completely screwed over her kid who ended up with a major birth defect. Finally my last patient delivered prematurely and her baby is currently in the ICU. Needless to say I could really use a drink or two or three or four right now.

The other night when I went out with Patrick and Madison and Nathan was sort of fun. I didn't really care for all the PDAs Patrick and my sister had going on, but Nathan was really sweet. Of course Nathan also informed me that he's planning to get back together with his girlfriend.

After we danced that one song we went back to our table and he proceeded to tell me every detail about Amanda and their relationship. Must say that that was not so fun. I mean it was sort of a date like situation and then he talked about some other girl the whole time about how much he loves her and misses her and crap like that. Yeah, again, not much fun.

My sister did get a little pissed at me because I got just a tad bit drunk. I really wasn't smashed or anything, I was just feeling good. She's just really sensitive about that because our mom is a former alcoholic-sober almost ten years now. She thinks that I somehow inherited that trait and I'm gonna ruin my life or something. I am not a drunk. I just like to have a few drinks every now and then especially when I had a really rough day at work. Rarely do I go out to a club or a bar to drink. I'll have a beer or two at night sometimes after a ruff day. The only reason that I drink when I go out is because that's the only way that I can loosen up and actually enjoy myself.

"Melony, girl, come on." Sharon, on of my crazy coworkers encourages. She pulls me from my chair and out to the dance floor, shimming her hips the whole way. I reach the rest of the girls I came with who are all dancing in a big circle. There is nothing I despise more than dancing in these circles. You know what I'm talking about. The circles where you're just casually hanging out on the edge clapping and laughing at who ever is in the middle until you suddenly get yanked out into the center. It would be great if, you know, you actually had some rhythm and could dance, but I can't and don't.

I of course join the circle, clapping my hands and tapping my feet while two of the girls dance quite risquély in the center. Either I've totally misjudged these women or they're completely smashed.

Oh, I just thought of another reason why I don't like clubs. Well I guess I could say that I thought of another reason I don't like going out in the general public. I get mistaken for my sister all the time; at least when I'm all dressed up and wearing more makeup than normal. I've had women come into the ER and freak out when they saw me. Their husbands would ask for my autograph and I would have to explain that I'm really just Madison's sister and it's just a pain. I've already been mistaken for her three times since I've been here which mean I've been hit on by sleazy guy three times just while trying to get a drink from the bar of even go to the bathroom. I don't know how Madison puts up with it. I would absolutely hate to be famous. I don't like being the center of attention and I really enjoy and cherish my privacy. Ugh, and I can see guys right now just itching to get into this little circle thing we have going on.

My sister comes up behind me and pulls me way from the group and over to stand near the bar. She clutches my right arm tightly in hers and has a look about her face of what I would describe as the cat that just swallowed the canary look. If she thinks she's setting me up with someone again, she's got another thing coming.

"That guy," She smiles, pointing to a tall man in the middle of that bar, "Was so checking you out. You have to go talk to him."

"He probably thought I was you." I answer bitterly, though I do take a moment to survey the goods. As I said, he's tall and has sandy colored hair, shaved close to his head and has a thin goatee. He's defiantly attractive, but in my experience the attractive ones are normally the jerks.

"Just go sit next to him and order a drink. Let him strike up the conversation."

"I really don't want to. I'm not even that thirsty." She laughs at my comment and literally pushes me towards the open seat next to mystery man. I nearly trip with the heels I have on but manage to maintain my balance and gracefully hop onto the barstool. I fold my arms over each other and rest my upper body against the bar top as I wait for the bartender to make it back over to me. I smile nervously at the mystery man and tuck my hair back behind my ears. He smiles back and reaches out a hand for me to shake.

"I'm Brandon." He has the most perfect teeth I've ever seen in my life. I smile back, feeling rather self-conscious about my own teeth now, and shake his hand.

"Melony."

"Did you come with that guy over there?" He asks, swiveling on his stool to face the dance floor. I turn as well and follow his out stretched finger to where he's pointing.

"Patrick?" I answer doubly as if this guy actually knows his name. "Yeah, that's my sister's boyfriend."

"Oh," Brandon sighs in what I think is disappointment. "That's too bad."

Oh my God, he's gay. This is just great. I finally get the nerve to talk to a good-looking guy and he turns out to be gay. He would rather go talk to Patrick than to me. I find my sister's eyes on the dance floor and she look at me questioningly. I shake my head and lift my hand high so that she can see me give her a thumbs down. She shrugs in apathy before turning back to Pat.

"You're not the only one who hit on him so don't feel discouraged." A voice voices from my right. I swivel back around to face the bar again and look towards the stranger sitting two seats from me. I can't make out his face through the strobe lighting.

"Excuse me? Were you talking to me?" I ask in honest curiosity. He motions for me to come closer, but I remain stationary. This could be some kind of psycho freak who's just waiting for me to come closer to him so he can grab me and take me out to some alleyway to rape and murder me.

"I can barely hear you," He calls, "Can you come a seat closer?"

Hesitantly, I move one seat closer to him, leaving only a single seat between us. It's at that next moment that I look up at his face that I realize just who I'm talking to. My breath hitches in my throat and my eyes nearly bug out of my head. I quickly regain my composure though. My sister may be famous, but I try my best to keep that world distanced from me. I don't see many famous people. And this is Justin freaking Timberlake-he's gorgeous.

"I was saying that you're not the first woman to hit on that guy over there and be turned down."

"You been keepin' a log?" I ask with a smirk, not really meaning to flirt, but I guess it kind of came out that way didn't it? I know I have no chance with Justin Timberlake.

"Something like that." He chuckles, bringing his drink-looks like scotch-to his lips. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Um," I hesitate, looking over my shoulder for any sign of Madison.

"You are of age aren't you?"

"Of course." I answer somewhat defensively. Don't I look like I'm at least twenty-one? "I'll take a...just a beer. Michelob Lite."

He laughs again and motions for the bartender to come to him and the woman does, almost obediently. Oh the perks of being a celebrity. He orders my drink and it's served within a matter of seconds. He tosses what looks like a hundred dollar bill on the bar top as the bartender refreshes his drink.

"Have you always liked lite beer?"

"Yes," I answer suspiciously, "Why? What's wrong with lite beer?"

He raises his hand to me in surrender. "Nothing, I was just curious."

I nod and raise the bottle to my lips and take a long swig. The cool liquid feels heavenly against my smoke burned throat. There's nothing better than a really cold beer.

"Good?" He smirks playfully.

"Yeah, thanks by the way."

Just as I'm about to introduce myself, a hand grabs hold of my shoulder. I would typically be startled if someone grabbed me in bar setting but I know that hand. I'll give you a hint as to who it is-ready? Their hand is identical to mine.

"Hey Me-oh my gosh." Madison stops mid sentence when she lays eyes on who I'm talking too. "Justin Timberlake."

Justin looks back and forth between the two of us a few times with confusion written all over his feature. I nearly laugh at the look on his face. He points a finger in my direction. "You didn't say you had a twin sister."

"You didn't ask." I answer back smartly.

"Fair enough."

"This is my sister Ma-owe!" I being to introduce but Madison digs her nails in to my arm. I nearly yelp out in pain but mange to suppress it. I simply glare at her and her hand.

"Melony," She finishes for me holding out her hand for Justin to shake. Wait-did she just say that her name was my name? "I'm assuming you've heard of my sister."

"Who hasn't?" Justin grins, looking back at me. I sit there doubly with my mouth hanging half open. I'm so confused right now. I don't understand why we've suddenly switched identities. We haven't done that since middle school.

"Will you just excuse us for one second?" I ask through clenched teeth, pulling Madison off the side. "What the hell was that about?"

"Don't get pissed at me. I was helping you out." I'm unable to form words right now. How in the hell does she think that by lying to Justin Timberlake about who I am is helping me out?! Seriously, I don't understand. Someone please explain it to me.

"Don't take this the wrong way but," She starts off. I know just from the way she started that sentence that I'm not going to like the end of it. "Justin only dates celebrities. He would never go out with someone like you."

"Someone like me?" I spit angrily.

"Just trust me on this Mel. I know Justin's friends and this is just how he is. Most celebrities only date their kind because it's easier and way less complicated. Plus you said that you would never date a celebrity anyway, so why not enjoy tonight with him. A little lie never hurt anyone." She tries to persuade. "I'm not trying to put you down Mel. That's just the way things are. He never would have even approached you if he hadn't mistaken you for me."

Way to crush my ego sis.

"Go enjoy the rest of the night with him. You'll never see him again after this. And haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to be a famous movie star?" She asks but doesn't give me enough time to answer. "Go find out!"

Again, for the second time tonight, Madison pushes me back over the bar before completely abandoning me. I'm thinking this little charade is a bad idea. I'm not really sure why right now, but I just have a bad feeling. I mean what if it turns out that we really hit it off; would he really dump me just because I'm not famous? I guess I can understand that. Actually, no I can't. I've heard Madison talk about this ‘dating your own kind' thing before. She claims that because you both have hectic schedules and deal with the same sort of issues you feel more secure in the relationship. Also, if you date a ‘normal' person you don't know if they want you for you or for your fame. Then I guess I do get it.

"Everything alright?" Justin Timberlake asks, still wearing that damn cute smirk of his. When does he not smirk? Seriously.

"Everything's fine." I smile as normally as possible as I sit down next to him. This is turning out to be quite the interesting night.

~*~*~

"You live here?" Justin Timberlake asks, shock lacing his voice. I guess I should have had him drop me off at the Ritz or something and not my dinky little apartment. Yes, Justin Timberlake is dropping me off at my house. Have you noticed I keep calling him by his full name? This may sound weird but I can't just call him ‘Justin.' I've always known him as Justin Timberlake so that's just how I have to continue to refer to him.

"Yep." I answer back as we reach the front door. I dig into my nearly empty purse and fish out my keys. I jingle them nervously in my hand as I wait for him to say goodnight. I can't invite him in because nowadays when you invite a guy in he might get the wrong impression. "You sound surprised."

"I just thought that it would have been...bigger."

"This was my first apartment after I left home." I explain honestly. "I just love it here. It's just me so I don't need anything any bigger."

"You and Elvis." He corrects with a masculine chuckle that literally gives me chills. Oh, Elvis is my cat-don't worry I'm not some freak that thinks that The Elvis Presley lives with me. I nod and laugh along with him, unconsciously touching his arm as I do so. "I guess having a small place like this would keep you humble."

"Yeah." I answer with a small smile. "You know you're not anything like I thought you would be."

His eyebrows shoot up at that in a playful manor I can't help but giggle at. "Really, and just what did you think I would be like?"

"Uh," I wrinkle my nose in thought trying to come up with a tactful way to put this. "The media just kind of portrays you as really...."

"Cocky?" He offers with a cooked grin.

I laugh and nod. "Something like that."

He takes a step closer to me and extends his arms to rest both of his hands on either of my elbows, pulling me just a touch towards him. "Well you didn't turn out to be like I thought either."

"And what did you think I would be like?" He looks down towards our feet to try to hide his smile and runs his fingers down the length of my arms until he reaches my hands. Our fingers intertwine, fitting together like the pieces to a puzzle. "Stuck up?"

He nods and brings his face up to look at me with a sweet smile. "Something like that. I'm glad I was wrong about you." He says, his smile faltering as he leans in towards me for what I'm sure will be a mind-blowing kiss.

My nerves get the best of me though and I choose to blow the moment with my nervous rambling. "If you thought I was stuck up why did you approach me?"

"If you thought I was so cocky why'd you talk to me?"

"Fair enough." I laugh. His head has not moved an inch from it's position-his lips only a breath from mine. "So if-"

"Do you always ramble when you're nervous?" He chuckles, bring one of his hands away from mine and up to cup my cheek tenderly. Before I get a chance to respond his lips descend upon mine. You remember what I said about the kiss probably being mind blowing? Well, let's just say that was an understatement.

 

TBC....



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story