Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry for the wait... I know it's been forever! Computer troubles, writer's block and school have been making sitting down to write very difficult. I think I've got it all under control now though.

This chapter is embarrassingly short but it's sort of a filler to get the plot moving in the right direction.
Hey, are you lonely?
Has summer gone so slowly?
We found the ground
And that damage was done
It's cold as you fade into the sun
Where'd you go? To me?


I know it's stupid that I'm calling her again already but I don't really care. I feel like calling someone, and I feel like talking to her. I'm not hurting anyone by having a phone conversation with a friend, right? So whats the problem? Its strange for me to be like this, questioning every little fucking thing I do. This isn't me at all, but I've been acting weird lately, I know I have. I don't want to be completely fucking gay and say that it's because of Cosette but I know she's at least part of it. There's just something about her...

"Hello?"

I pause for a second, not sure I dialed the right number. It doesn't sound like her very much at all. "Cosette?"

She's sniffling. "Yeah?"

"Are you alright?" The concern in my voice scares the shit out of me. Of course its natural to be a little freaked out when theres a female crying but I just sounded like I actually cared. Hmm.

"What?" She coughs a little, clearing her throat, "Oh yeah, I'm fine."

Her voice is raspy and worn and any human being could hear that she's not fine but I don't bother pressing the issue because well, I know she's not going to tell me. Practically begging for information from a girl is not something I'm used to and it's not good for the ego. Normally, women beg me to listen to their problems, like I can solve them or something. I kind of figure it comes with the territory of the sort of music I'm doing. You can't write songs like Take It From Here and Let's Take A Ride without some women thinking it's anything more than catchy lyrics and melodies. They truly believe if I was their man I would just be the most perfect man in the whole world, their dream guy. But thats all it is, a dream. Cosette doesn't treat me like a dream.

"Um, Justin? You there?"

Her voice breaks through my little train of thought and I chuckle to myself wondering how long we sat in silence on the phone for. "Yeah, I'm here. I was just calling because..."

This is the part I probably should have thought of before I picked up the phone. See, like I was saying, Cosette doesn't seem to think of me as any kind of demi-God or whatever so I actually have to not make a complete fool of myself around her. Getting women has always been simple for me, I don't even have to say a word most of the time so that's what I'm used to. Anyone that requires me to put a bit of effort in is difficult simply because I'm not used to it.

"Because...?" she trails off, mocking me. I smile a little to myself because I know I just made her laugh. And she sounded like she needed it.

"'Cause I knew you were upset or whatever," I tell her, "I felt it was my duty to cheer you up."

She laughs loudly and I like the sound. She has a sweet, genuine laugh. Thats kind of how I would describe her, genuine.

So what if you catch me,
Where would we land?
In somebody's life
For taking his hands
Sing to me hope as she's
Thrown on the sand
All of your work
Is rated again
Where to go?



* * * * *

"How can you possibly like the Red Sox? It only took them, what? Eighty-five million years to actually win?"

I've lived in New York my whole life. It's sacreligious to not love the Yankees. To be honest, I prefer football, but I have to admit this mindless banter over which team is better has gotten my mind off of a lot of things. I've been on the phone with Justin for maybe 45 minutes and already I feel a hundred times better. He really needs to call anytime my dad decides to fly off the handle.

"Way to exaggerate Miss Marciano, and to think I thought you were a relatively honest person," he chuckles deep in his throat and I don't breathe for a moment. I know he's just joking but the truth, ironically enough, hits home and I feel guilty all over again.

I don't say anything in return and its obvious he notices. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No--," I say quickly, but I can't finish before theres a knock on my door. My mother.

"You sure? I didn't mean to upset you," he tells me sincerely and I smile.

"No, it's ok. I just have to go."

"Oh," I can hear the disappointment in his voice. "Alright then, I guess I'll talk to you later?"

Cecile is already in the doorway, looking very annoyed and tapping her foot. Jesus, the woman knows I have no friends, and I never talk on the phone but God forbid she have to wait more than two seconds to tell me whatever pointless gossip she wants to share with me. "Yeah, yeah, bye Jus--"

"I'm gonna call you later and you're gonna tell me what had you so upset earlier, okay?"

No way in hell is that gonna happen but I have to get off the phone. "Okay, I will. Bye."

I hit end on the phone and turn to face my mom. If Cecile was not the mess I know she is I might think she was pretty, beautiful even. I inherited her lean frame and coloring but I think she has more of a regal look than I do. She can look kind of scary though, like right now.

"Who was that?" Her voice is cold, not like a parent speaking to a child but like she was talking to a stranger.

Playing dumb gives me time to think up a good answer. Besides, she thinks I'm an idiot anyway, what's there to prove? "Who was who?"

She's not amused. "On the phone, Cosette. Who were you talking to?"

"Danielle...," I didn't mean for it to sound like such a question. Funnily enough, I guess I'm not a very good liar.

My mother nods at me in the most condescending and dismissive way. Like I'm worthless. "Do you normally blush when you talk to Danielle?"

My face gets hot and I'm sure my cheeks are even redder. She laughs and turns to leave before I can think of a suitable answer so I exhale wearily and wait for her to shut the door, but she doesn't. "Theres a letter here for you on the table," Cecile tells me, no trace of emotion in her voice. "Doesn't say who it's from."

With that she closes the door behind her without elaborating any further. We both know who that letter's from, though.

Lydie.

When I was sure you'd follow through
My world was turned to blue so thin
When you'd hide your songs would die
So I'd hide yours with mine
And all my words were bound to fail
I know you won't fail
See, I can tell
Chapter End Notes:
Song credit: Fair by Remy Zero

Thanks for reading

Incomplete
sofia is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked The Strange also liked 517 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story