Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's some fluffernutter for you guys. Let me know if you like it! :D

Parking in front of the garage, Kiki climbed out of the car and went to the back to unbuckle the anxious toddler. “You’re ready to party huh birthday girl?”

 

With a big smile, she nodded and extended her arms so her mother could take her out of the car.

 

Closing the door with her hip, Kiki snuggled Cheyenne and kissed her cheek. “My baby’s growing up on me.” She pulled back to look at her beautiful child who was another year old today and only months ago survived the biggest crisis of her young life, one that almost prevented her from seeing this day. She was so overcome with gratefulness, joy and pride that her eyes welled up with tears.

 

Possibly sensing her mother’s emotions, Cheyenne said. “I love you Mommy.”

 

Kiki’s heart almost burst with happiness. “Oh babyheart. I love you too. So much honey.”

 

She pulled her in again and the two stood there holding each other, silent, happy tears running down Kiki’s face. She quickly wiped them away so Cheyenne wouldn’t worry over them and let her joy show through in a smile.

 

“Alright babe you ready to go have some fun?” She asked and Cheyenne cheered “yay!” “Ok let’s go!” She placed her on the ground and together they walked towards the back of the house.

 

As soon as they got a full view of the yard, both girls were awed.

 

“Ooh Mommy, it’s green! For me?”

 

“Yup all for you.” Kiki answered, still a little taken by what they were seeing. She had a general idea of what Justin was planning for the party, but this took the cake. “I guess he wasn’t kidding.”

 

*************************************************************************************************

 

“If you want to do her birthday party this year that’s fine. I’ll help with anything you need, but remember Justin she’s two, her friends are all in the same age range. And I know that look in your eye, you’re thinking super bash, but all they really need is entertainment and cake and ice cream. Anything extravagant would be a waste.”

 

“I know that, but it can still be done in style.” He was determined to put together the best birthday party for their daughter no matter what. “I won’t go crazy, I promise, but it will be special. Our baby girl will always have the best and that includes her parties.” He stressed as a pout formed on his face. “Plus I missed her first.”

 

Finally seeing the root of his anxiety and sympathizing with him, Kiki soothingly caressed the side of his face. “Then go buck wild if you have to.” He helplessly cracked a smile when she beamed at him and leaned in to kiss his forehead. “Now, tell me, what do you have in mind?”

 

*************************************************************************************************

 

The picture she had in her head did no justice for what she was witnessing in person. With a theme revolving around Cheyenne’s favorite color and Nickelodeon characters - balloons and streamers were posted up all over the place. Decorated table sets - adult and kid sized - were spread out on the stone layed patio, some circling the hard covered pool. Off to one side, where the outdoor kitchen and grill were located, the food table was stationed with the serving racks and unlit sterno cans already lined up. On the opposite side, in the yard, next to Cheyenne’s playground, was a ball pit and a big inflated slide. At the back, just in front of the guest house was a stage. Who or what would be performing on that stage was a detail Justin wouldn’t give her or anyone else for that matter. From what she could and couldn’t see Kiki knew that Cheyenne would have the time of her life today. Just as she should.

 

After taking in the party decorum Kiki headed to the deck where Lynn, Paul, Cameron, Trace and Justin were sitting at one of the tables.

 

“Hey guys.” She called out.

 

“Hey guys.” Cheyenne mimicked her with a wave and they all turned in their direction with a chorus of greetings in return. When they reached the top of the steps, Kiki let go of her hand and she went straight to Justin. “Daddy!”

 

His face lit up at the sight of his little girl racing towards him and he lifted her into his lap and gave her a big hug. “Hi baby.” He kissed her on her temple and sat back to see her face. “Let me look at my Birthday Girl. You look very pretty.”

 

“Tank you. Mommy paint my fingers see.” She extended her widen spread hands to show off her red painted nails. The nail polish matched perfectly with the rest of her outfit.

 

She was dressed in a stripped red multicolored hoodie dress and a pair of high top red Converse with ruffled socks folded over the top. Her hair was styled showing off her shoulder length dark waves, that had grown back to its natural fullness very well, the sides held back by a sparkly red clips. She was definitely her parent’s child, like them she was always decked out and matching from head to toe.

 

Before Kiki had reached the table, Paul had gotten up to get an extra chair for her while Lynn scooted over to make room between her and her husband.

 

“Thanks Paul.” Kiki said and they gave each other a welcoming hug before she sat down.

 

“Hi, honey. How are you?” Lynn smiled and reached over to hug her. “I see tracks.” She teasingly commented about the slight tear stains she could see running down her cheek.

 

“Yeah I just got finished with the second round in the driveway.” Kiki laughed softly. “And you know I’m not done yet.”  She was pretty sure tears of joy would accompany Cheyenne’s birthdays - the best day of her life - for the rest of her life.

 

Finished babbling about “school” yesterday with her father, Cheyenne really took note of everyone in attendance, especially her grandmother sitting next to her. “Hi Nonnie.” She leaned over Justin’s lap, reaching for her and Lynn pulled her into her wait arms.

 

They hugged and gave each other Eskimo kisses, making Cheyenne giggle, before she settled in her lap to have a visit.

 

“So Pixie face, how old are you now?” Paul asked her.

 

“I...” She paused to look at her hands, trying to remember how her mommy taught her to show people how old she was. Seeing what she was trying to do, Lynn helped her out and put her hand in the form of the peace sign. It was the same thing her mommy had done so she proudly stuck her hand out to show her grandfather. “This many! One. Two!”

 

“You’re two? Oh well you’re still a baby.”

 

“Nuh uh Pop Pop. I a big girl now. Right Mommy?”

 

“Sure honey.” Kiki answered in a noncommittal tone. She had told her earlier she was almost a big girl now, but she wasn’t about to argue a point she’d never win.

 

“See Mommy say so.” She solidified to her grandfather. Remembering she had a question to ask, she turned to her opposite side and tapped her father’s arm getting his attention from a conversation with Cameron. “'Cuse me Daddy. Daddy.”

 

“Yes baby?”

 

“My cake here?” She asked with a wide and excited grin.

 

“Yes but you can’t have any until after your party starts.” He said with finality in his voice and she sat back in Lynn’s lap with disappointment written across her face.

 

Trace laughed at her, but quickly discovered Cheyenne was not one to taunt in her current state when he promptly receives her stink face.

 

Her eyebrows were scrunched together in the middle of her face and her lips were pursed in anger. “Is not funny Uncle Trace.”

 

“Yeah it is.”

 

“Nuh uh.”

 

“Yea huh.”

 

“Nuh uh.”

 

“Yea huh.”

 

She leaned over the table in his direction and cried with all her might, “Nuh uh!” her little face getting red.

 

“Yea huh.” Trace said as cool as a cucumber while trying not to crack up laughing, like everyone else, at the sight that this little indignant two year old made.

 

She wiggled out of Lynn’s lap and marched over to stand in front of Trace. With her hands on her hips and chin jutted out, she announced. “I not talk to you no more.” With that, she whipped around and went to her mother’s side. “Mommy I go play peas?”

 

“Yeah baby you go play.” She nodded in compliance while trying to keep her giggles in and patted her on her bottom to send her off. “But not in the balls or on the slide. You have to wait for when your party starts.”

 

Once she was away from the table and her “wrath” couldn’t be unleashed on anyone else, everyone let their laughter free. They knew she was being dead serious, but it was still funny as hell watching tiny little Cheyenne when she was mad.

 

As she reached her Dora skee ball shoot, still clearly tick off, Trace lifted out of his seat until he could see her and tried to make amends. “Oh come on Pixie I was just kidding.”

 

She identified who was calling her and quickly turned away when she realized it was her uncle and she wasn’t talking to him anymore. She went back to trying to sink her ball and giving him the silent treatment.

 

“Like father, like daughter.” Kiki replied and Justin sputtered.

 

“No, don’t put that on me, that attitude is all you.”

 

“Oh I don’t think so. The hands on the hips might be me, but she is definitely having one of her junior moment.”

 

Before he could voice a rebuttal, Lynn voiced her own firsthand take on the matter. “The fault does lay with you honey. You used to act just like that when you got upset at that age. And you would give me the silent treatment until the bitter end.”

 

“Case closed.” Kiki declared and Justin gave her a sarcastic smile in return.

 

“Hello, hello, hello.” Maya called out as she approached the group, her hands carrying a M. Lewis Original garment bag and a pink box with a big bow on top. Kiki’s eyes sparkled and she was just about to speak, but Maya stopped her. “Don’t even ask. The birthday girl gets to first look at her gifts. Where are you keeping them?” She asked Justin.

 

“The sitting room.” He casually said, knowing she knew where to go. He already had a couple of get-togethers here that the whole gang attended so everyone pretty much knew their way around his house now.

 

“You know as her mother, I have the right to inspect her gifts for approval.” Kiki quipped, but was ignored as her sister passed her to go into the house.

 

“More clothes.” Justin complained.

 

“You have a daughter it comes with the territory honey. Wait till she falls in love with the mall.” Cameron teased.

 

“Okay there’s a lot of food in there.” Maya commented upon her return. “And the yard looks great.” She reached her sister’s side and instinctively Kiki scooted over so they could share the seat. “You spill the beans about the show yet?”

 

“Nope. Like you said birthday girl gets the first show.”

 

“Hello.” They all heard once again, this time it was Nina and Frederick arriving, hands filled with gifts and extra supplies for the party.

 

Now that the moms were here and after some chit chatting with everyone, they went into the kitchen to start prepping the food. Yes this party was catered because Justin wanted to give the grandmothers a break and neither minded, either way, but they wanted to help out a little so they commanded the job of setting up the buffet. Kiki, Maya and Cameron joined them in the house to help. The guys, free from the grill today, stayed outside to watch Cheyenne until they followed her when she went inside to be nosey in the big girls’ business. Hanging out in the den watching TV, they waited to be called to duty and bring the food outside.

 

 

Within the hour and a half before the party started the rest of the family showed up to help with the prep work. When JC arrived he came with Eva and she was introduced to the parents and Cheyenne for the first time.

 

“What are you all doing in the house? It looks great out there. I kind of wish I was a kid again.” JC said as he walked into the kitchen from the back door.

 

“Hi”s and “hey Josh”s floated around the room and Lynn, being the first to notice his guest, spoke further.

 

“Hello there.” She said.

 

“Oh. Mama Lynn, Nima this is Eva. Eva this is Justin and Kiki’s mothers “ Lynn and Nina.”

 

“Hi.” Eva said.

 

“Oh mi Dios. You’re the actress who plays Gabby. I love your show!” Nina exclaimed like a star stuck teenager.

 

“I told you she’d freak.” Kiki muttered while her sister said aloud.

 

“Embarrassing much.”

 

This was proven a mistake when Nina snapped at her. “Cállate,” but quickly put a smile back on to speak to Eva again. “It’s very nice to meet you honey. I’m assuming you’re Joshua’s girlfriend?”

 

“Yes Ma’am.”

 

“Well that’s just great for you two. And I can tell you this now Josh “ I was starting to think that either you had horrible taste or you were gay.” Lynn stated nonchalantly.

 

JC’s face dropped. Eva’s eyes bulged. Tami buried her face in her cross arms on the table “ her body shaking with laughter. Kiki had her lips tucked in her mouth and her eyes closed tightly, trying not to burst. Rhea did a complete 180 turn so she couldn’t be seen silently laughing. Maya dropped to a squat behind the island counter where she didn’t even try to stop cracking up. Poor Marissa was taking a sip of her drink when the comment was made and spewed it all over the place, stumbling into the den where her loud laughter was clearly heard.

 

“What?” Lynn said to Nina, totally missing what was so amusing that the girls were laughing hysterically and the boys were rushing into the kitchen to witness the aftermath of what Marissa had told them.

 

Nina did notice JC’s mortified look and amended for her friend. “Oh sweetie it’s okay if you were gay. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as you’re happy. Are you happy?” Still in shock all he could manage was a numb nod. “Well then good.” She smiled as did Lynn. “Welcome Eva.” She directed to the young woman and Lynn followed suit.

 

“Thank you.” She replied, now tittering at the comical moment that she was sure she’d never forget.

 

Both mothers went back to their tasks as if nothing had just happened while JC finally snapped out of it and turned towards Kiki. “I swear to God yours and J’s mom are fuckin’ crazy.”

 

“Oh come on Josh. Yes you do wear pink shirts and tight ass gold pants, but we know you’re grade-A 100% hetero male.” Snuggling into his side opposite Eva, she teasingly purred in his ear.

 

He grumbled in irritation and firmly, but gently pushed her away. Giggling Kiki left an equally amused Eva to soothe his bruised ego with a peck and went off to join the others who had now surrounded the kitchen table, just in case another unforgettable moment occurred.

 

Absent from the group was Justin. He’d gone upstairs with Cheyenne to change her when he came up empty on pampers in the guest bathroom. When he came back down, he saw through the kitchen doorway that JC and Eva had arrived.

 

“Daddy down.” A squirming Cheyenne demanded now that they were off the stairs.

 

“Alright, alright.” He sat her on the floor and she took off ahead of him. She wanted to go back to watching the basketball game in the den.

 

“Hi Uncle Josh.” She waved as she zipped past everyone.

 

“Wait, wait, wait.” He grabbed her around the waist and picked her up. He turned her over and tickled her tummy making her giggle and brought her over to Eva. “I want you to meet my friend Eva. Eva this is the lady of the house Ms. Cheyenne.”

 

“Hi Cheyenne. It’s nice to meet you. Your Uncle Josh has told me all about you.” Cheyenne beamed at that. “Feliz Cumpleaños.”

 

“Gracias.” She responded.

 

“De nada sweetie.”

 

“Okay you can go now.” JC put her down and she skipped over to her grandmothers to get a snack from whatever they were cooking to take back with her to the game.

 

“She’s too adorable you guys.” Eva complimented Justin and Kiki.

 

“Yeah and getting so big, too big. I don’t want her to grow up.” Kiki whined.

 

“Too bad.” Tami butted in and Justin, feeling the same way, jumped in to playfully her defense.

 

“Shut up.”

 

Catching sight of the wall clock, Kiki suggested to him that they give Cheyenne her gifts from them now and he agreed. They had brought her quite a few “ Justin’s idea “ and Kiki didn’t want anyone at the party, especially the kids, to feel envious. It was best to get their presents opened before anyone outside of the family was around.

 

“Hey Pixie face, you wanna open you’re gifts from me and Daddy now?”

 

“Yay!” She exclaimed and scurried over to her mother.

 

Kiki sat her on top of the table while Justin went and got the gifts from the sitting room. Happily Cheyenne tore at the paper surrounding the two big boxes. Once all the presents were unveiled Cheyenne had a Leap Frog educational game system and a bunch of games to go with it, a green nano iPod, new books, puzzles and movies, a couple of Bratz dolls plus accessories, and lastly a pair of platinum princess cut diamond earrings “ her birthstone.

 

Cheyenne was super excited about what she got and gave her parents big smacking kisses and bear hugs. She was in the process of overwhelming herself by getting immersed in a number of her gifts at the same time when Justin asked her to hold on. He had one more surprise gift, one that Kiki didn’t even know about, and went to retrieve it from the dining room. Coming back to the kitchen, he was pushing a lime green VW Bug Powerwheel.

 

“Oh gawh.” Kiki moaned and shook her head while everyone else was awestruck.

 

It was bad enough having a little foot propelled bike crashing into her shins, now there was a motor powered miniature vehicle ready to run over her toes. And given the gleam in Cheyenne’s eyes, she knew a little road demon was ready to burst free. She was already trying to jump off the table to get to it. Kiki put her down before she hurt herself and she made a b-line for it, scrambling right into the seat, ready to go.

 

“Wait, wait, wait.” Kiki said following her. “Aren’t there like safety precautions with this thing? I mean it’s a little car.”

 

“Well yeah there’s a seat belt and look I got her one of these.” He lifted up a matching black and green helmet. “She’ll be perfectly safe. I promise.” He knew there were risks with one of these “toys”, but after seeing Cheyenne’s fascination with the golf cart whenever they went out on the course, he just had to get her one. And his promise to her safety was solid, he wouldn’t let anything happen to her.

 

Kiki knew Cheyenne would be perfectly safe with her father so with a smile, she moved out of the way. “Alright. You should probably take it for a test drive Pix.”

 

“Yes!” Justin exclaimed as if he was the one about to go for a ride and slapped five with Cheyenne. “Come on baby girl let’s go take your car for a spin.” He lifted her out, rested the helmet on her head and picked up the car to take it outside.

 

Like a bunch of big kids wanting to get a turn, the guys anxiously followed them and to watch the show, the women were right behind them.

 

With her helmet secured to her head and her seat belt on, Justin moved out of the way after starting the car and Cheyenne let it rip. Not going pass the front of the house, she drove up and down and all around the driveway “ giggling her heart out as Justin jogged behind her.

 

 

Soon it was time to get down to business and finish some last minute decorating before the guests started to arrive. While the others went to go set up, Paul and Frederick stayed by the driveway to watch Cheyenne who wasn’t done cruising yet. Before anyone knew it, everything was in place and it was party time.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

All Cheyenne’s daycare friends and their parents, her parents’ friends and their kids, neighbors including her adored babysitter Livia, and close friends of her grandparents and their grandchildren came to celebrate. Her new car lost its appeal for the time being so after parking it in the garage next to one of her father's, she jumped head first into her party.

 

Throughout the day Justin and Kiki were taking turns watching their child, like the other parents were doing, and at the moment Justin was on shift. Kiki was on the patio chatting with a group of co-workers when someone tapped her on the shoulder.

 

“Hey girl.” Alana greeted her when she turned around with her husband and son at her side.

 

“Hey.” The two women hugged and then Kiki embraced Ryan. “I’m glad you guys made it. Hi Robbie.” She knelt down to hug him.

 

“Hi Ms. Kiki. Where Cheyenne?”

 

“She’s out playing. You want to go join her?” He nodded eagerly. “Follow me then.”

 

“I’ll come with.” Alana said.

 

“Okay…Oh Ryan “ gifts go over there.” She pointed to the table off to the side of the deck that now held all the gifts. Then her finger directed him to the surrounded bar and nearby table. “And some of the guys are over there.”

 

“Cool.” He nodded and they split ways.

 

Headed towards the play area, Kiki, Alana and Robbie could easily see Cheyenne being chased out of the ball pit with Justin hot on her heels. Before she could run around to jump back in on the other side, Kiki called out to her.

 

“Cheyenne! Look who’s here!”

 

She stopped in her tracks and turned towards her mother’s voice. Standing next to her, she saw Ms. Alana and her bestest friend.

 

“Robbie!” She yelped and was off running. Barely stopping before she crashed into him, the toddlers quickly grabbed each other in a tight hug as if they hadn’t seen each other just yesterday. “You here!” She happily proclaimed when they pulled away.

 

“Yeah. Happy Birthday.”

 

“Tank you. Let’s go play.” She grabbed his hand and they ran off to join the rest of their little friends running around like maniacs.

 

Justin who had been trailing behind his daughter when she jetted off to welcome her friend, meet up with the two ladies and greeted Alana with a hug. “Hey Lana.”

 

“Hey Justin. Very nice party you planned here.”

 

“Thank you, thank you.” He responded graciously.

 

“Hey guess what? You get a break.” Kiki told him and he arched his eyebrows as if to say “really?” “Yup. Me and Alana’ll take over.”

 

“Thank God.” He sighed heavily in relief. “Have fun,” were his parting words and both Kiki and Alana laughed at his exhaustion. What a lightweight.

 

While Justin was off taking his break, hanging with Cameron, Kiki and Alana joined Marissa and Tami who were monitoring and playing with the kids. Kiki did a stint in the balls with Cheyenne and went down the slide a few times before stepping to the side to let her play hide and seek with her friends when some of them tired of the play pens.

 

Sitting on one of the steps of Cheyenne’s playground, she could observe the entire backyard of partygoers. Already it was turning out to be a memorable day - everyone was having a great time, taking part in celebrating and making sure all the kids had fun. Watching her baby running around with a constant big smile on her face, Kiki couldn’t ask for a better day for such a beautiful little person who was her heart and soul.

 

“Woo! Those kids are tiring.” Tami said, appearing at her side on the set after Joey took over for her.

 

“Why do you think I’m sitting over here? Especially since the craziest of them all belongs to me.” They both giggled watching said child launch herself off the edge and back into the ball pit with absolutely no apprehension. That was followed up with a wince from each when Joey got nailed in the forehead with a ball. Laughter quickly took over the two and even Trace who was on shift as cinematographer.

 

“Oh my poor baby. He’s getting killed.” Tami chuckled and then shrugged. “Aw well, its good practice.” They wanted kids so he might as get used to it now and since she had no plans of rescuing him, she turned to have a chat with her best friend. “So subject change “ I need to tell you something.”

 

“Okay.” Kiki said; suspicious but not worried.

 

“It’s about Shai. Marissa heard that he’s-“

 

“Let me guess - dating Sheena James.” She interrupted.

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“He told me.”

 

“Oh my God. Honey, are you okay?”

 

“Ok seriously you, Maya, Marissa and Alex need to stop.” She stressed, getting really irritated by their seemly obsession with her love life. “First of all, me and Shai “ just friends, will never be anything more than that. Yes we went out a few times, but it was always platonic for me.”

 

“But not for him.” Tami stated rather than asked.

 

“Not at first come to find out. He and Sheena had started talking before we started hanging out again, and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to take things with her to another level when he thought he still had feelings for me. He finally told me all of this and I let him know how I felt “ how we were in the past. In the end, he agreed and decided to pursue a relationship with Sheena. He’s very happy with that decision now and I’m happy for him.”

 

“Oh. Well we thought you two were “ you know. We thought you were finally getting back into the dating scene.” Tami assumed.

 

“Yeah and that’s the other thing you all need to realize “ I’m happy, I’m not lonely. I don’t need a man. I don’t even want one. My life is really good right now and I don’t want to change that.” She sternly affirmed. “But rest assured when I do start dating again, I’ll send a message across the LA skies so that you all and the rest of the city can know my business.” Hopping off the ledge, Kiki left Tami there and went to the other side of the backyard to find a place to cool down. Ending up at the hors d'oeuvre table, she grabbed a handful of carrots and started crunching on them.

 

“Whoa what did the carrots do to you?”

 

Kiki scowled at him and bit into another stick.

 

Justin could tell that she was really pissed about something so with an arm around her shoulder he inquired. “Hey, what’s wrong? It’s cute as all hell, but why are you pouting?” He pulled her close and to his surprise she wrapped both arms around his waist taking comfort from his presence. At first he didn’t know how to respond considering the last time they’d been this physically close.

 

It was about a month since their night out and Kiki had put up a wall between them, emotionally and physically. No more random little hug here and there or fun and flirty conversations.  That comfort level they had reached again was gone and it was bumming him out. He didn’t want to push her, possibly causing her to pull away even more, so he didn’t bring up that night or the conclusion he’d come to about his feelings for her. He figured he was better off being happy with what he had with her, especially if she was going to cut herself off like this, even in the smallest amount, when confronted with their relationship.

 

Now here he was, her warm, soft body wrapped around his in willing search of comfort from him. To hell if he wasn’t going to take full advantage and enjoy it while he could. Quickly his arms circled her body and he reveled in the way she lightly snuggled into his chest.

 

This feels good.

 

Letting out a deep breath and feeling her annoyance slip away, the conversation with Tami didn’t seem so serious anymore. Not only was she just trying to get clarification on the situation, but her friends always were and always would be nosey - hell she was guilt of the same. There was no point in her getting bend out of shape about it so she blew it off. Pulling back only enough to look up at Justin, her arms still resting around his waist, Kiki answered. “Nothing it doesn’t matter anymore.”

 

“You sure? You can tell me, you know that right?” Even though she pulled out of his arms, she was still smiled at him.

 

“Yeah I know, but it’s over now so…”She shrugged and detoured. “Hey is it time to eat?”

 

“Yeah actually. Wanna help me ring the dinner bell?” He offered and she accepted.

 

Together they notified all the inactive parents that they could start preparing their children’s plates while the other halves help them rounded them up and set them at the kids’ tables.

 

The basics: hamburgers/cheeseburger, hot dogs, barbeque chicken and chicken fingers were served with staple side dishes. But surprise, surprise Lynn and Nina couldn’t resist cooking something and quesadillas and zucchini showed up on the buffet too. Guess who for?

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

After all the kids were feed and cleaned up, it was show time. In front of the make shift stage were bean bag chairs  for each child and once they were set down in their seats, a woman came out of the guest house to jovially greet everyone before introducing the first act.

 

As soon as the Backyardigans theme song came on, gasps of awe and squeals came from the kids, even from some of the adults who knew how monumental this was for them. When the five popular characters danced out on the stage, most of the kids started cheering, waving and calling out to their favorites, but some froze in fear or shock and had to be consoled by their parents. One of those kids was the birthday girl, but she took it a step further, launching herself off the bag, and running in tears to her parents who were waiting to watch her reaction from the sideline. They definitely weren’t expecting this though.

 

Before Kiki could stoop down to grab Cheyenne, she was practically climbing up her legs. Pulling her up, Kiki held her close and soothed her as she held on tight and cried into her mother’s shoulder. Justin was right there helping to calm her, feeling a little guilt since this was his idea, but after he and Kiki got her composed, they convinced her to give the show a chance. Gingerly they took her back to meet each character, starting with her favorite “ Tyrone. With each animal doing there own part to make her smile or laugh, by the time she met all five, she was ready to sit back in her front row seat and enjoy the show.

 

For about twenty minutes the Backyardigans put on an interactive show “ getting the kids out of their seats dancing and singing along, amusing the spectating adults to no end. Once the show was over the emcee came back out and surprisingly introduced a second act. Cheyenne’s eyes nearing popped out of her head when Dora, Boots, Diego and Baby Jaguar came on stage. The rest of the kids went just as bonkers, in a good way this time, and it took a little while to calm them again. For this part of the show, Cheyenne excitedly dragged her parents to sit with her while she watched and participated all the while being completely star struck. At the end of the entire show all the characters went into the little audience to give hugs and take pictures. Cheyenne got individual and group pictures with them all to commemorate this day forever.

 

It finally came time for the Nick Jr. gang to say bye “ jumping up and down, and waving “ the kids gave them a big fond farewell. Putting that built up energy to use, they went back to the playground to run around and play some more.

 

 

It was getting late so the decision was made to start bring this shindig to a close with cake and ice cream followed by unwrapping the gifts. Now that lunch was over, the buffet table was cleared and prepped for the kids to commandeer it with Cheyenne at the head waiting for her cake.  Kiki retrieved it from the kitchen and with Justin, presented it to the birthday girl.

 

“Ooh.” She exclaimed with awe.

 

Following the theme of the whole party, her cake was a display of all the characters she just met with frosting in her favorite color decorating the edge and spelling out Happy 2nd Birthday Cheyenne! in the center. Everyone gathered around the table, the candles were lit and the collective party sang Happy Birthday to the beaming two year old.

 

When the song finished, Kiki moved the cake closer to Cheyenne so she could blow out the two candles.

 

“Come on Pixie face, blow your candles out.” She demonstrated on her face making her giggle. Justin joined in from the other side and Cheyenne laughed even more as she squirmed down in her seat to avoid them.

 

Once they stopped play around, Cheyenne pursed her little lips together and leaning over, blew as hard as she could. She only managed to blow with enough force to flicker the flames each time she tried, so her parents discretely helped her out and they were finally extinguished. Everyone cheered and clapped, and thinking she did all the work Cheyenne beamed under their praise.

 

While an assembly line for cake and ice cream was being organized so Lynn and Nina to pass out plates of the desserts, everyone failed to notice Cheyenne starting to dive full force into the cake. Thankfully, all with the exception of Eva who cried out a warning to Kiki and Justin.

 

“Guys watch out!”

 

But they were too late to stop Cheyenne from plunging both of her hands right into the cake and pulled out two big handfuls. She proceeded to shove one into her mouth, gobbling up all the cake. Most of it ended up in her mouth, but not before she smeared it over her face. The guests burst into laughter.

 

“Trace, did you get that?” Justin laughed and he nodded in affirmation as he continued to film the scene. Justin knelt down next to Cheyenne. “Is it good? You like your cake?”

 

Cheyenne looked at her father and then at the remaining pastry in her other hand. Seeing a devious grin grow on her face, Justin knew what she was about to do and tried to move out of the way, but he wasn’t fast enough. She smacked the handful of cake right into his face. Everyone started laughing louder, this time at him.

 

“I definitely got that on tape!” Trace cackled.

 

Standing straight and grabbing the paper towel that a laughing Kiki handed him, Justin cleaned off his face. He looked down at Cheyenne. “You think that was funny huh?” She scrunched up her shoulders as she giggled at the mess she managed to make on her Daddy’s face. Justin couldn’t resist that smile or the sound of her giggles, and bent down to kiss her on the nose. “You know you’re lucky I love you Pixie face.”

 

“Love you too.” She responded and her messy lips smeared more cake on his nose when she returned the kiss.

 

Kiki now had a box of wet wipes that Tami had gotten from the house for her, ready to clean both their faces, but stopped to watch them for a moment. She loved watching them together like this and felt her eye mist over with tears. She was so happy her daughter finally had a father who completely adored her. Her musing was interrupted by a flash of a camera and she went to clean up her baby girl.

 

 

Now hopped up on sugar, the kids went off to play one last time while the grown ups again cleaned their mess and Justin and Kiki set up for the last event of the party “ gifts.

 

Everyone gathered once more around Cheyenne to watch her open all her presents and give her thank yous.

 

One of the highlights was when she unwrapped her gift from Uncle Derek and Aunt Rhea. It was a box filled with soccer goodies “ a green jersey with #12 and “CJ” written on the back, a FIFA soccer ball and a pair of soccer sneakers. As soon as she saw the sneakers it was as if everything else stop for that moment and it didn’t restart until her father complied with her request.

 

She sat down and propped her foot on his leg. “Put it on peas Daddy.”

 

Chuckling, as was everyone else, he did as she asked, but when he was about to put on the second sneaker, she went back to her other unwrapped presents. Justin sat there in confusion with the second shoe in his hand, alongside Kiki who was trying to hold Cheyenne off from the other gifts.

 

“Babe wait. Don’t you want to put on the other one?”

 

“No.” She shook her head and went for her next present.

 

“But you got on mismatched shoes Pix.” Justin informed through a chuckle.

 

“Is okay. Next one.”

 

Laughing, they let it go. Like all other children, that little mind of hers worked in mysterious ways. For her there was some valid reason why she now had on one red Converse and one black Adias soccer sneaker.

 

Another highlight, was when Maya’s original designs for Cheyenne was unveiled. The box she arrived with was discovered to contain a bunch of accessories like a couple of hats, leggings and tights, bobby socks, a new purse and some hair clips and headbands. Next came the garment bag that had an adorable white pea coat, a pair of red corduroy pants with a red and blue babydoll top to match and a polka dot mod styled sleeveless dress.

 

Mostly the women oohed and awed at the outfits, Kiki and Justin were really impressed, and Cheyenne was ecstatic.

 

 “Tank you Tia.” She moved to her side to give her a hug.

 

“You’re welcome sweets.”

 

“Ooh Cheyenne we are so having a fashion show tomorrow.” Kiki told her and she happily nodded, looking forward to trying out her new clothes.

 

When all the gift giving was done, Cheyenne had a variety of all kinds of toys, books, clothes, etc. from everyone present and not present. Her grandparents and both set of great grandparents had sent her some stuff that arrived earlier in the week. Even Johnny, and Dr. Sabine and his staff sent her gifts which was very thoughtful. Cheyenne gave out her final thank you to the whole party as did her parents and it was time to call it quits. On the way out each guest “ kids and adults “ was sent off with a nice little “swag” bag to enjoy themselves after such a great party.

 

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 

When the house was cleared of guests, it was only the family that was left and they stuck around to help clear up whatever mess was left and just relax after running behind a bunch of toddlers. Cheyenne had gone inside to crack open some of her toys and watch one of her new movies while the adults were busy. When the house was back in some semblance of order, Justin planned on having the cleaning and yard service he used come in tomorrow, they convened around the deck to decompress a little with some adult conversation and beverages.

 

As a part of the consensus in the mood to snack, Kiki went inside to get the veggie and cracker and cheese trays that were still in tact. When she opened the fridge, she discovered the rest of Cheyenne’s cake had been vandalized. There were little hand sized chunks missing and she found chocolate and frosting handprints on the front of the door. Kiki looked around for more damage, but found no immediate evidence, but this wasn’t the only room she was in. She went into the den and found chocolate smudges on the area carpet and her toys. The carpet was a dark tint so if the stains didn’t come out it wouldn’t be noticeable and the toys could be easily cleaned. Thank God she never went into the sitting room a.k.a “the white room”.

 

Kiki paused at the thought. I better go check just in case.

 

Thankfully nothing was found there and after a final check of the two rooms for anymore signs of Cheyenne the Chocolate Monster, she had all the evidence collected. And now it was time to get the little culprit that up until this point, had rejoined them outside scott-free.

 

When Kiki returned she first went to set the trays down before confronting her daughter, but the sight of Justin caught her attention. As far as she knew Cheyenne had never broken any rules in his presence which meant he had yet to experience one more aspect of parenthood. Discipline. She figured it was as good a time as ever and this way they could present a united front so Cheyenne could see her parents were on the same page where the rules were concerned. It would help combat that infamous divide and conquer technique that all children attempted.

 

“Today is just full of first for you Justin.” She said when she reached their table.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It appears our daughter wasn’t done with her birthday cake and threw herself an extended party in the house.”

 

Picturing the mess she made he moaned. “Aw fuck.”

 

“It’s not that bad, don’t freak out. There are just some chocolate smudges on the refrigerator, the carpet in the den and her toys. Nothing that can’t be cleaned up.” She assured. “But she did go inside the fridge without permission and she made a mess, so she has to answer to that.”

 

The day Justin was dreading was here. He knew eventually he would have to be the bad guy and chastise Cheyenne and he really didn’t want to see that sad look in her eyes, knowing he was the cause.

 

“So here’s your moment of truth, are you going to help me or stand aside and let me handle it myself?” It was time for him to prove himself ready for everything that came with fatherhood. He couldn’t be beloved, good guy Daddy all the time. “I suggest you participate or she’ll never learn to respect you.”

 

He let out a harsh breath, mentally preparing himself. “I know and I’m with you.”

 

“You can do it man buck up.” Trace cajoled. “It’s karma dude. You’re always using those sad baby blues on other people, now they’re being turned on you.” He grinned as Justin scowled at him.

 

“Come on.” Kiki grabbed his hand to pull him out of his chair and Cameron rubbed a comforting hand over his back before he got up with a pained look on his face. “Get that look off you face. We’re not going to be screaming at her. We’re just letting her know why she’s in trouble, reaffirm the rules and then have her fix her mess. Be firm but gentle.” She instructed. “It’s not that difficult. One look is all it really takes anyway. She knows when she did something wrong. Okay? You ready?”

 

He nodded, repeating in his head that this was what a good father did and he was determined to be the best father and took the initiative, calling for Cheyenne.

 

“Cheyenne Jocelyn.” An authorative voice that until now he didn’t think could come out of him, boomed over to where she was playing with Derek and her new soccer ball.

 

When Cheyenne heard her Daddy’s voice calling both her names like Mommy did when she was in trouble, she knew her mess in the house was found. Her Daddy didn’t sound very happy and it scared her so she hid.

 

Justin and Kiki both watched her duck behind Derek and Justin’s heart clenched in his chest. He never wanted her to be afraid of him so he lightened his tone and called for her again. “Come here baby girl.”

 

Her little head finally peeked out from behind Derek’s legs and she looked at her parents with wide and teary eyes.

 

“Come here sweetie.” Kiki added in her soft motherly voice. This was a first for Cheyenne, having both parents disciplining her and the last thing they wanted to do was make her afraid of them.

 

Cheyenne came out from her hiding place and slowly walked to her parents with her head down shamefully, chocolate stains visible on her clothes, another tall tell sign of her guilt. Justin knelt down to meet her and let her bury her head in his shoulder before picking her up. The three walked back in the house to have their discussion in private.

 

Those left in the backyard couldn’t help but sympathize with that sad little face Cheyenne wore. But they knew she had to be reprimanded. Luckily Cheyenne was a resilient kid and she would learn her lesson and bounce back, happy smile and all.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Together, Justin and Kiki talked to Cheyenne about her indiscretions which she didn’t deny and after they stressed the importance of her following the rules, she promised not to do it again. Through the discussion quiet tears streaked down her face, nearly crushing Justin, but with Kiki’s support, he managed to keep it together. After the tears were wiped and hugs went all around, with her parents' help, Cheyenne cleaned up her mess and when she was done Kiki took her upstairs to change her clothes.

 

Left alone downstairs, Justin breathed a sigh of relief now that that was over and he made it through. He was proud of himself because there were a few times when he didn’t think he could stand watching tears fall from her eyes. But he did and he proved that he could do this father thing right “ all aspects of it.

 

While he was putting away the cleaning products they used, he felt a warm hand rub across his back. “You okay?”

 

He turned around to see his girlfriend standing over him. “Yeah, it wasn’t that bad after all.” He fastened the baby lock back in place and stood up to face her. “She’s so sensitive so she cried a little but it wasn’t too bad. We got the job done and I think we did good.”

 

“Of course you did, you’re a good father Justin.”

 

“Thank you.” He hugged her and mumbled into her hair. “Time for you to go?”

 

She pulled away from the embrace. “Yeah. I just said bye to everyone now I’m here to say bye to you.” They smiled at each other and shared a kiss.

 

“Be safe ok?” Justin advised as they walked to the front door.

 

“I will.” She smiled and while they were hugging one last time, Kiki and Cheyenne reemerged from upstairs.

 

“Hey are you leaving?” Cheyenne was perched on her hip with a new outfit on, looking clean and content once again.

 

“Yeah I have to be in New York tomorrow morning so I’m flying out tonight.”

 

“Oh well have a safe trip and thanks for coming.”

 

“It was my pleasure and happy birthday again Cheyenne.” She extended her hand and Cheyenne gave her a high five.

 

“Tank you for my books.”

 

“You’re very welcome and I’ll see you when I get back ok?” Cheyenne nodded and Cameron said goodbye to Kiki and Justin again before leaving.

 

After he closed the door Justin turned to back to the two remaining ladies and took Cheyenne out of Kiki’s arm. “Look at my baby so fresh and so clean again.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her cheek against his in a hug, lightening his heart. “You still love Daddy?” She nodded. “Good cause I still love you too.”

 

They were walking back toward the kitchen when Kiki asked. “Are you okay?”

 

“Is everyone gonna ask me that?”

 

“Justin, I thought you were going to cry through the whole thing too.”

 

He snorted. “I’m not gonna lie I almost did.”

 

“You still ended up doing a very good job though.” She smiled with pride. “You’re a good father Justin.”

 

A big grin lit up his face. “Thank you.” This may not have been Kiki’s first time telling him this, but it always felt good to hear.

 

“Listen before we go back out there, me and Cheyenne...” She pulled her out of Justin’s arms and sat her on an island stool. Then she grabbed her purse from the side table and pulled a manila envelope out of it. “Want to give you something.”

 

Tugging on the envelope, Cheyenne said. “I wanna give. Peas.” Kiki handed it over and let her do the honors. “Here Daddy.”

 

Justin looked at it curiously and Kiki nodded towards it. “Go ahead, open it.” She stood behind Cheyenne who was wiggling anxiously and they both wore identical bright smiles.

 

Their excitement was contagious, so he quickly opened the envelope. Inside were 2 sheets of paper and when he read the heading on the first, his smile dropped and was replaced with a look of wonder.

 

 

Petition for Name Reassignment

 

Cheyenne Jocelyn Timberlake

 

Formally

Cheyenne Jocelyn Lewis

 

Approved by the State of CaliforniaApril 6th, 2006

 

 

“For the past week I’ve been teaching her that her new name is Cheyenne Timberlake. Haven’t I?” She tilled her head down to ask Cheyenne.

 

“Uh huh.” She nodded excitedly, making her hair bob around her head.

 

Completely overwhelmed, Justin was speechless and his vision was getting blurry as his eyes welled with tears.

 

“The second page is a copy of her birth certificate with the name change. You just gotta sign it to make it official.” Kiki explained, feeling her own emotions overpowering her in response to seeing him getting choked up.

 

Cheyenne saw tears starting to fall from her father’s eyes and it worried her. She thought her daddy would be happy that they matched now. “Mommy, Daddy crying.” She turned around to look at her mother dejectedly.

 

“They’re happy tears baby. Daddy’s just really happy.” She hugged Cheyenne needing some comfort herself.

 

“Oh. I happy too Daddy.” Cheyenne chimed in with her infamous smile. Justin chuckled at her always adorable ways and scooped her up for a big hug.

 

He had always been fine with Cheyenne’s last name being Lewis, she was still his baby, but it wasn’t until he read the petition that he realized how much it meant to have his child carry his name.

 

Leading him some support, Kiki took hold of one of his hands and he gripped it tightly as he looked at her. “Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.” She moved to hug both her daughter and Justin and gave him a peck on the cheek.

 

After loosening his grip, Cheyenne put her little hands on the sides of his face. “You better now?”

 

With a chuckle, he knocked the last tears that slipped out from his face. “Yeah baby. I’m all better.” She gave him another one of her blinding smiles and he kissed her on the nose. “How about we go tell everyone about your new name?” She nodded excitedly and jumped back into his arms. He tossed her in the air a few times making her squeal with happiness before hoisting her on his side.

 

Kiki stood back smiling at the happy duo and was shocked when Justin grabbed her around the waist and pulled her with them out back to deliver the news.

 

“Hey Ma! You got another Timberlake to drive you crazy!”

 

Once the buzz over Cheyenne’s name change died down the party dwindled, people started leaving until Justin, Kiki and Cheyenne were the only ones still there. Cheyenne wasn’t ready to go and conned her parents into letting her watch another one of her new movies before she and her mother left. In the den, Cheyenne stretch out on the couch between her parent, her head pillowed on Kiki’s chest and her legs resting on Justin’s lap. It had been a long and exciting day, not to mention emotional, and eventually the three fell asleep together as movie play on.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj