Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay so here is Chapter 1.. Sorry it took so long to get it out, i had the chapter set in my mind i just couldn't get it to come out on paper. But this chapter is a preview of what is to come, so enjoy and please leave feedback!

Thanks
-Ambs<3

Chapter 1

Same Day

As she closed the door to her commander's door she let out a sigh of frustration and stomped to her desk. Slamming into her chair she shuffled through a few papers in search of the warrant she'd been waiting for, since the day before and wanted to scream when there was none. Resting her elbows on her desk she began to slowly rub her temples where a migraine was slowly forming.

"Having a bad day Richardson?"

"Only if you knew how badly my day has been." She scowled still continuing to rub her temples.

"Well I have something that will make you're day even better." He replied leaning his hip against the desk and waving a blue folded up piece of paper in front of her face.

Looking up she spotted the paper then reached up and snatched it out of his hands. "Thanks."

"No problem. Now give daddy a smile!"

"Fuck Off, Yates." Shannon retorted standing up giving him a tight lipped smile then making a beeline for the elevators.

Justin had stood by his desk watching the whole exchange, between her and D.A. Yates. He wasn't too happy with his new assignment for partner, not after what happened to his last partner; subconsciously he rubbed at the sore spot on his stomach where a sharp pain began to form from the memory.

It had been one of the biggest busts of his career, all the evidence had pointed to one group and they had finally gotten all the warrants to take them down for murder 1. The operation was set, all they had to do was put it into motion. But what they hadn't known was they'd been ready for them to bust down that door.

They'd lost 3 officers including his best friend since the academy. They'd been the first through the door, and the first to be gunned down. He had held his friend as he died, and listened to the whimpers of other men around him meeting the same fate. The only good part about that day is they had caught the head guy and he was currently sitting on death row awaiting his execution.

He had gotten away with a bullet to the abdomen, which he had almost died at the hospital the doctors had told him he was a fighter and lucky to be alive. He seen it as a curse to have to do the job day after day knowing he had done nothing to shield his best friend. The only good thing in his life at the moment was his little sister Keira. She is the only constant in his life.

He didn't really get along with his father or his wife, to be totally honest he despised them both. He despised his father the most for remarrying so soon after his mother's death.

Feeling the slight vibration from his pocket he reached in and pulled out a small cell phone then flipped it open and put it to his ear. He gave the caller a distracted hello.

"Justin?" a frantic voice asked on the other end.

Shaking his head when he recognized his sister's voice he sat down at his desk and put his finger to his ear. "Yeah it's me. What's wrong baby sis?"

"Nothing I just a..." she trailed off debating whether to tell her brother the truth or not. " I ..I need a ride. I'm at a party."

"Alright tell me where you are and I'll come get you." After she rattled off the address, he wrote it down and shoved away from his desk, walking swiftly towards the elevators he pushed the down button and waited patiently for the elevator to come to his level.

Once it arrived he stepped in and pressed the button that would take him down to the garage. When the elevator made it to the garage a loud ding emitted through the speakers,

immediately exiting the elevator he scanned the parking lot for his black 08 dodge avenger, spotting it he jogged over to it, and hit the unlock button on his key ring, opening the door he hopped in and started it up.

Reversing out of the stall he aimed the car towards the exit and speeded through it, starting the long journey to get his sister.

Keira stood on the sidewalk desperately wishing for her brother to hurry, she didn't know how much longer she could stand to stay in a place where she didn't feel safe, a place where she knew she shouldn't have come. She stared off into the distance waiting for the familiar black car to appear.

Hearing a noise behind her she jumped, and turned her head only to connect eyes with her most recent ex-boyfriend. She watched as he walked towards her, her guard immediately being put up.

"Hi Keira, you leaving so soon, we didn't get a chance to catch up."

"Fuck off, Zach." She replied hotly crossing her arms desperately trying to control the shaking of her body.

"Feisty, god you know I like that." he said leaning toward her ear. "It makes me hot." his low whisper caused shivers to run down her spine and shook her body to the core

Backing up a couple inches she glared at him. "Stay away from me, Zach I mean it."

"Or what?" He countered mimicking her position. "You'll sick you're cop brother on me again?"

"She won't have to." Justin said giving the young man a once over before pulling Keira to his side. "Go get in the car Keira, and let me talk to Zachy."

"But J." She trailed noting the look on her brothers face, deciding against fighting a loosing battle she bowed her head walking the short distance to the car, opening the door she climbed in and gave Zach one last look then closed the door.

"Now I thought I made myself clear scumbag, you were to stay the fuck away from my sister." He gritted out clenching his fists, trying to control the rage within his body.

"Fuck off I can do what I want." Zach said arrogantly.

"Oh I can do what I want too. Those charges, the ones that disappeared, I can make them come back and bite you on the ass." Justin challenged, the flash of fear in Zach's eyes gave him all the ammunition he needed. "And I could tell you're oh powerful daddy you've been sneaking around my sister again. I don't think he'll take that too lightly."

"You can't do that, my father wouldn't allow it."

"Just because you're a rich fucker with you're daddy's legal standing behind doesn't mean I can't do it. You're father paid my sister off to drop the charges; he'd rather pay someone an obscene amount of money then let you smash his reputation with the public. How does that make you feel Zachy?"

He watched the reactions play over the young boys face like a movie on repeat. "Now how about you run along with you're cronies and leave my sister alone, I'm sure there's plenty more girls you can fuck around with." With that said he turned on his heel and marched towards his car, as he was about to sit down in the passenger seat he heard his name.

"You think you're all bad just because you got that badge, but you're just a fuck up. I'll see that you're badge is taken.

"Yeah we'll see. Have a good night Zach." He shot him a smile then slammed the car door shut. He took a couple deeps breaths to calm the rage that had almost boiled over then looked towards his sister, sitting in the passenger seat with her head bowed. "You okay?" he asked softly reaching over and tilting her chin up with his index finger.

"Yeah I'm fine Justin." She breathed out looking into her big brothers eyes. "Thanks for what you did back there."

"No problem baby sis." Justin smiled putting the car in drive. "Is anyone at home?"

"No, mom and dad are at some big function up town, and Steven is with a babysitter."

"Well then I'll just take you to my place till they do get home." Justin said making a left on the next street.

"I can go home if I want to Justin." She said with a hint of frustration entering her voice. "I'm not a little girl anymore I can take care of myself."

"Oh you can take care of yourself? Then why did you call begging me to come get you?" Justin asked looking at her through the corner of his eyes. "An when I get there you're standing next to the one guy you're supposed to stay away from, and your shaking so bad you're teeth are chattering? If that's taking care of yourself then maybe I shouldn't have risked my badge to protect you."

"I didn't ask you to do that Justin." She replied stubbornly hugging her arms around her stomach. "And if it was such a big deal you didn't have to come and rescue you me or risk you're fucking badge the way you did. It's not my fault this guy has this crazed obsession over me, I didn't ask for it and I damn well don't want it."

"Look Ki, I'm sorry I went off you alright? I've had a bad day and it wasn't fair I went off on you." Justin explained casting a quick glance in her direction. "I just don't want anything to happen to you, which is why I suggested you come over to my place.  I don't trust Zach as far as I can throw him, and I don't want my next case to be investigating you're murder."

She nodded her head then let out a soft sigh. "I understand."

"Good I'm glad you do." Justin smiled reaching over to ruffle her hair and heard her frustrated groan in response which only made his smile widen in return. "You're really all I have left of mom, and I don't want to loose that."

"I wish I could've spoken to her...gotten to know her like you..." She said softly directing her gaze to her lap where she folded and unfolded her hands. "Known the way she smelled, or the way she talked."

"Flowers and fruit."

"What?"

"She smelled like a mixture of lilies and different forms of berries." Justin smiled wistfully. "I remember her perfume was lilies, and her shampoo was this berry concoction that she loved."

"I can't believe you still remember that after all these years." Keira said

"There are some things you never forget about a person you're close to."

"You two were close?"

"Yeah, I could go to her with anything, and she'd listen. Before she was murdered I had just told her I wanted to be a professional dancer, and she had encouraged me to do it. She didn't tell me not to, just stood behind me."

"Why didn't you?"

"I couldn't do it. Not without her there to cheer me on."

"Why did you choose to be a homicide detective?" Keira asked staring thoughtfully at her brother.

"Hmm." he said debating whether to tell her the truth or not. Chewing on the inside of his cheek, he pulled into his parking stall at his apartment and shifted to park.

He turned to look at her expecting face. "I was 12 when I decided. A detective had just left our house he had come to tell us that they hadn't been able to track down mom's killer, the case had basically gone cold. Well in that moment I told dad that I wanted to find the guy who did it, or at least prevent it from happening to another family by becoming a detective. I haven't been able to prevent it, but I have given others what we never got."

"What's that Justin?"

"Justice" he said his emotions varying between grief and vengeance.

She watched the emotions play across his face and knew to this day the death of there mother still bothered him even though he rarely showed it. She could remember a few years back him talking his dad about it, and could faintly remember the grief in his voice when he had shared one of his deepest secrets. He blamed himself for there mother not being there and she couldn't fathom why.

He was only 11 what could he have done? She was sure the guys who did this were ten times his size and at eleven years old you're really not all that strong. "Hey Justin I have a question?"

"What's that?"

Nibbling softly on her bottom lip she turned her blue orbs towards her brother and gave him a small smile. "Why do you blame yourself for mom's death?"

"I don't." Justin lied becoming uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. He had only told one person and he wasn't ready to tell another, at least not tonight.

"Come on Justin you can tell me." Keira persisted

"Drop it Ki. I don't want to talk about this anymore." He replied hotly opening the car door and stepping out. He slammed the door closed and prayed she would drop the subject he was already close to letting her know more about his life than he wanted her to know.

Being the nosy person she was, she followed after him. "So then you do?" she asked watching as he walked up the steps towards his apartment.

Turning around he let his eyes connect with hers, what she seen in that moment scared her. His eyes were so consumed with despair that it made her heart break. "I said drop it. Please just drop it." He pleaded then turned on his heel and proceeded to march up the steps.

"Okay Justin." She whispered following up after him.

Opening the door to his apartment he shed the leather coat and hung it in his closest then walked across the lavish living room towards the kitchen where he opened the refrigerator door and grabbed a can of beer. Popping the tab he chugged a good portion let a satisfying belch then sat down at the table putting the beer down and folding his arms on the table he laid his head in his arms.

Talking about his mom had brought memories from the night she was murdered. The memories he had tried so hard to put in the back of his mind so he could just get through the damn day. Memories that haunted his teenage years and well into his adulthood, to this day still haunted him and what was worse nothing would block them out.

He could remember the way her blood had smelled like copper and as it spilled all over the carpet causing that brownish red stain he remembered hearing the man laugh at him for crying over the one woman who understood him the most.

He remembered falling to his knees and putting his head into his hands letting sobs take over his small body as the men took what they wanted and left. Left her there to die, with a toddler in one room and her son kneeling next to her lifeless body he couldn't exactly remember where his father was at but he remembered him coming in some time later and falling to pieces at the sight in front of him.

He also remembered the harsh words his father has said to him. "I can't believe you just sat there letting her die without calling 911"  But what his father hadn't known was he was in a state shock just staring ahead of him, in a trance not knowing what was going on around him, he couldn't quite put a finger on why he knew what his father had said.

While he had just sat there staring off ahead him his dad had called the police and reported what had happened. He remembered a detective trying to talk to him, asking for him to tell him what had happened. It had taken the guy a couple times to get through to the young boy but he had told him everything he could remember. But it still hadn't been enough to catch the guy responsible for tearing his world apart.

Feeling the faint vibration against his leg he pulled the small device out of his pocket and shook away the thoughts. Looking down at the screen he furrowed his eyebrows and flipped it open muttering a low hello into it.

"Hey J, it's you're dad."

Groaning softly he rolled his eyes towards the heavens. "Yes I know dad, there's this handy thing now called caller ID."

"Don't get lippy with me boy. I just called to see if you had you're sister."

Again rolling his eyes he nodded his head as if the caller could see him. "Yes, Keira is here safe and sound."

Hearing her name Keira looked up from the TV and shot a questioning gaze towards Justin.

"Well you're mother and I."

"She's not my mom." He interrupted hotly.

"Fine." He puffed out. "Lisa and I are planning on just getting a hotel room tonight, do you think you're sister can stay over there tonight?"

"Yeah that's no problem." Justin agreed

"Good, will call when were home tomorrow and you can drop her off." He paused to relay the news to Lisa. "Oh and Justin?"

"Yeah dad?"

"Keep her out of trouble."

"I will. I am after all a officer of the law dad."

"Good. Good bye son."

"Bye dad." Justin said before flipping the phone shut.

"What did dad have to say?"

"He and Miss Lisa are getting a hotel room for the night. So you're stuck with me tonight kid."

Letting out a squeal of delight Keira jumped up off the couch and did a small booty dance.

"Jeeze calm down. It can't be that bad at home."

Halting her antics she turned her head towards Justin with her jaw dropped. "Are you fucking serious? Living with that woman is hell, if she isn't breathing down my neck about my studies, she's complaining about the boys I chose to like. Or the friends I hang out with."

"Well then choose better friends." Justin joked then dodged the pillow she threw his way. "Hey cut it out. But hey they are a bit skanky if you ask me."

"They are not." She squeaked out throwing another pillow his way. And while he dodged that one she ran and jumped on his back. "Take it back Justin."

"No." He laughed out walking towards the couch and throwing her off his back. "If the truth hurts then so be it."

She could see the mischief shinning brightly in his eyes and had to smile herself. It was good to see her old brother back, ever since the incident with his partner he hadn't been himself and now she could slowly see the pieces of him shining brightly through. "You're an ass J."

"I know." He smiled moving her feet so he could sit down next to her. "So what should we do the rest of the night?"

"Let's pig out on junk food and watch stupid movies."

"You got it. You get the junk food I'll put in the stupid movies." Justin said standing from his position and going over to his entertainment center.

While he searched through his many movies she walked into the kitchen and raided his cabinets in search of his junk food. Finding a couple back of chips she pulled them down, and set them on the counter, figuring they needed something to go with them she opened the refrigerator door and pulled out the dip she had stashed in his fridge the last time she had been there.

Setting that on the counter along with the chips, she opened the freezer and pulled out a tub of ice cream grabbed two spoons from the drawers then gathered the rest of her supplies and walked to the living room to set them down on coffee table. After doing so she went back in to grab a soda and him another beer.

After he put in Wedding Crashers he turned around and had to laugh softly at her choices of junk food. With just looking at the array of chips and ice cream he knew they were going to be sick within the hour. Plopping down on the couch he took his previous position and waited for her to sit down next to him.

"Here's you a beer and me a very tasty Pepsi."

"Good kid." Justin joked aiming the remote towards the DVD player and pressed play. As the opening credits played he grabbed a handful of chips and begun there night of junk food and stupid movies.

After the third movie was over and the food had been consumed they both had passed out due to full tummies. Knowing when they awoke they were going to have stomach aches from hell, due to the amount they had consumed.

Opening his eyes the first thing he saw was the blue screen of his TV the second was his phone vibrating across the table. He reached out for the device and flipped it open.

"Hello" he yawned

"Dispatch Timberlake Detective Justin, to 1456 Wilshire blvd. suspicious deaths"

"Dispatch Received. Contact Richardson Detective Shannon to assist."

"Confirmed, dispatch terminated."

Sitting up he rubbed at his eyes then looked to his right to where his sister was sleeping peacefully curled up on the arm of the couch. He grabbed the throw off the back of the couch and threw it over her body then padded towards the bathroom. After taking care of business he grabbed his car keys, wrote Keira a short note explaining he would be back then quietly exited the apartment.

Running down the steps he hit the unlock key on his remote when he arrived at his car then hopped in and started up the engine. Peeling out of the parking space he turned on his siren and headed towards another victim that would need him to stand for them and give them the one thing everyone deserved, which was justice.


Incomplete
Ambs07 is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Unwilling Alliance also liked 414 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: detectivej