Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay, this chapter took me longer than expect but i had to wait for my co-wroter to write her part, and there's just alot of stuff that goes into this story. So enjoy. Again if you cannot deal with domestic violence i suggest you do not read it.

Thanks

Love, Ambs & Kaylyn

Chapter 1: Home At Last

She knew when she left that he would be waiting for her return. He always would. Except this time, her departure wasn't announced and the likely hood that a showdown was about to occur wasn't so much a possibility as it was a certainty. Looking back, she realized he used to be sweet, loving and gentle with her. It was just that point of time in her life seemed so long ago. Now his life's goal was to bend and mold her in to who he wanted her to be. To force her in to catering to his every whim.

Letting out a heavy sigh, she glanced up towards the porch and saw him sitting in the old wicker chair she had bought a year ago. Quickly noticing the slightly relaxed posture and the beer hanging from his hand, she knew that chances were that he was not on his first drink of the night. She couldn't say for sure whether he was drunk or not, but when he hovered all 6' 2'' of alcohol powered rage above her, she knew she was in trouble.

"Where were you?" he growled, hooking his thumbs through the front loops of his pants, exposing the thin line of hair that ran down his flat stomach.

"I just went to visit my mom." she replied quietly

"I don't recall seeing any note or getting any call telling me where you were." he said coldly, a twisted mixture of anger and concern lacing his tone.

"I...well you ..you said you don't like it when I call you at work."

Snaking his arm out in front of him, he entwined his fingers in the short hairs at the base of her neck and pulled her in closer. All the while keeping his tone and facial expressions soft incase anyone was watching.

Too afraid to speak, Rachel-Lynn let out a soft cry and desperately tried to break free.

"You know you only make it harder on yourself when you try and fight me, so why don't you be a good little girl and just do what I say."

"Drake... please.. I'm sorry, I... I.. wont do it again I promise." she cried out, begging for his mercy as he led her inside the house.

After he slammed the door shut behind them, he released his hold on her and turned around to lock the door. Unfortunately that was all the time she needed and quickly made a run for the stairs.

Knowing that he would be right behind her, she skidded into the bedroom and quickly locked the door behind her.

As she descended the stairs of the bus her eyes scanned the people waiting for there loved ones, when her eyes finally landed on her best friend she squealed happily and ran through the crowd and into his arms. "Nick"

"Hey Rach" he smiled squeezing her tiny body to his own.

Sighing contently she wrapped her arms tighter around him and buried her face in his shoulder. "I thought I'd never get here." She mumbled

"Now you're here so you can stop worrying about it." He said pulling her back so he could get a good look at her face. The deep dark circles underneath her eyes told him she hadn't slept much in the past couple of days, add the faint traces of a bruise wrapped around her right eye she looked like a raccoon. He knew she had been through hell the past couple of years, but seeing it in person all he wanted to do was hunt down the bastard and teach him a lesson or two. "God babe, when was the last time you slept or better yet ate anything?"

"I ate something small yesterday when we stopped in Texas and I slept some on the bus." She said

"Well how about we stop at a restaurant on our way to my place?" Nick suggested draping an arm around her shoulders.

"That sounds good." She replied wrapping an arm around his waist.

Pebble Beach California

He stared longingly across the room as people scrambled around setting up different things around the club. They were opening up in 4 hours and in his own opinion the club looked like shit. Boxes were everywhere with numerous of things spilling out of the tops, the bars had glasses strung from one end to the other, bottles of booze were at this moment being put underneath the bar for use later on that night.

Tonight was the night he'd been waiting for since he had bought the building, the opening up of Blaze his newest addition to the many restaurants and clubs he owned up and down the pacific coast. But this one was his baby, he helped design the interior. He had even pushed up his sleeves and joined in on the grunt work. Putting in many hours on the project that should have taken 3 months but with everything said and done it took 6.

Due to problems popping up at the last second, first the plumbing went, then orders got cancelled for some odd reason that he still to this day could not figure out why. He had put in all the orders himself, but that was done an over with. The club was finally on it's way to opening up, tonight was the most important night of his 26 years.

His reputation depended on tonight, everything was riding on this club. He had finally worked up the credibility to be taken seriously in life and he wasn't about to let it all go down the drain because people didn't know how to work fast enough.

When he had bought the old abandoned warehouse, and told everyone he was going to turn it into the best damn club that pebble beach had seen everyone had laughed at him. So tonight he planned on showing everyone that he was right and they were wrong.

Taking advantage of the many favors owed him, Justin enlisted several of the elite A-listers to help promote the opening. Normally those kind of gigs would be considered more of a nuisance or inconvenience, but knowing that Justin would provide them with a night to remember, every last one of them jumped at the opportunity

"What's up man?" Trace asked taking a position next to his long time friend.

"Not to much just overseeing the final touches." He nodded sweeping his hand around the room.

"We've got 4 hours till opening and the place still looks like this." He sighed softly shaking his head.

"Don't worry JT, it will be done on time for the opening tonight."

"It better be, because I really don't feel like postponing the opening, another night or week for that matter." He threw over his shoulder as he made his way back to his office.

"Dude just go with the flow." Trace yelled after him, then shook his head when he heard the slam of Justin's office door. "The boy needs to take a chill pill."

He knew how much stress he was under but in his own opinion Justin needed to learn how to go with the flow. Just let everything go and sit back and relax was his motto, but then again he had never been into the serious management type of things. He was here to have fun, and meet as many woman as he could find.

Jumping slightly as the crash behind him echoed throughout the room, he turned slowly and braced himself for the wrath of his best friend. Not even ten seconds later he could see Justin storming out of the his office and towards the scene of the offense.

"C'mon people we open up in 4 hours, we don't have time for stupid accidents like this." Justin seethed looking down at the light fixture that was scattered in pieces across the floor. "Get this shit cleaned up and someone run down the nearest hardware store and get another one." He growled turning on his heel and storming out the door.

Seeing this as his opening to get out of the club for a few hours Trace ran after him. "Ya'll better have this place ready by the time he gets back, or you know there will be hell to pay." He ordered on his way out the door. As the door closed behind him he could hear the grumbling of men inside. Chuckling to himself he put a hand over his eyes to shield the sun and looked across the parking lot for his friend.

Spotting him climbing into his car he dashed across the lot and opened the door and leaped in.

"Fucking morons, can't do anything fucking right." He mumbled slamming the keys into the ignition and turning the car to life. "I swear to god Trace if that place isn't done by the time I get back." He
trailed off putting the car into gear and backing out.

"I know dude, I know." Trace said with a heavy sigh.

When he was stopped at light Justin heaved a sigh and ran his hands over his face. "I'm sorry man I don't mean to take out my frustrations on you but I'm stressed as all fuck. This club was supposed to be opened 2 months ago, I got magazines breathing down my neck for the scoop on it, and to boot I haven't been laid in god knows how long."

Raising a brow Trace looks at his best friend. "What about that Melissa girl? I thought things were going well?"

"Yeah it is. But she's on this whole bull shit about not wanting to have sex till marriage. I mean dude she's a fucking virgin at 22 can you believe that shit?"

"Damn she didn't look the type. You know me I could usually spot a virgin ten feet away. That just blows my mind."

"So I either got to go somewhere else, or stick this shit out. But man I don't think I can handle all his religious bullshit. I mean she has me going to fucking church man.. CHURCH of all things."

"Dude, three words. Get rid of her!"

"That's four man. She's great girl an all, and I enjoy spending time with her, we have a lot in common other then the previous stated. I need sex, it keeps me balanced so yeah she's gone after tonight. I can't show up at this thing without a date."

"Well if you didn't want to take her, then I could set you up with someone."

"Trace I don't want your sloppy seconds." Justin said making a disgusted face then pointed a finger at him. "I'll just take Melissa tonight, see if I can weasel something out of her. If I can't her ass is out the door."

"I don't understand why you even try to have something with a girl. You always end up breaking it off with them a week later. And plus you got millions of fine young woman at your disposal, who would give there right arm to have a night with you."

"I know." He agreed shifting in his seat. "How about we go get some grub?"

"Sounds good. Are usual place?"

"You know me to well man." Justin said flashing a smile in his friend direction then spun the wheel to turn into Macy's diner.

Macy's Diner

Nick watched as Rachel jumped slightly when the slam of the restaurant door echoed through out the small space. Chuckling softly he patted her hand and gave her a smile. "You're safe Rae."

"I know it's just taking some time to get use to." She said giving him a small smile.

"So you were going to tell me how you got away, I've been dieing to hear it." He said leaning back in the booth and taking a swig of his beer.

"Alright, it's not all that exciting." She shrugged pushing her plate forward so she could lean on the table.

"Well still out with it" he gestured with his hands.

"Okay" she said straightening her back and letting out a breath.

She figure that after he finished pounding on the door he had retired to his usual spot in front of the T.V or gone to the bar to meet his friends. That is the friends he still had, the ones that didn't go on to college or their career.

She got up from the bed and went to the door, putting her head to the door she listened for a minute. When she figured the coast was clear, she opened the door slowly and walked out into the hall. Knowing that most creaks were in the center of the stairs she hugged the wall. Making her way slowly to the first floor she prayed that if he was still home he was drunk enough to be passed out.

She feared the stage that he get into between the first two beers and the last two. She found out the hard way that, it was the most dangerous time to ask him about dinner.

As she rounded the corner into the kitchen she heard his voice from the opposite end of the house where he was sitting in front of the TV.

"While you're in the kitchen, grab me a beer." Drake said as nice as his tone would allow..

She didn't answer and stayed frozen in place hoping that he would think he was hearing things.

"I know that you're there Rachel-Lynn, and like I said, bring me a beer." He said irritation lacing his tone at the lack answer from her.

"NOW!" Drake bellowed

"Y-y-yes Drake. Would you like it in a glass?" She asked sweetly trying her hardest to get on his good side.

"Why in the hell would I want a glass? Just get me a damn beer." He yelled

"J-just a second." She scampered off to the fridge.

As she opened the door and reached for a bottle of Bud Lite, she thought to herself now is a good time as any. She set the bottle on the counter and searched through the drawer for a bottle opener. As she worked the lid off with one hand she reached into her pocket for the little baggie she shoved in after her mom gave her the warning to not get caught and to not put anymore than needed. She grabbed the bottle and got the lid the rest of the way off.

She quickly opened the bag and carefully, poured the contents into the bottle. She was shaking violently and had to stop more the once to calm herself.. You can do this, just chill and get it over with she chastised herself. Looking up at the digital clock and read the green glowing numbers, 7:30. If she timed everything right, and everything went like planned she would make it in time for the last bus of the night. She walked across the hall and into the living room.

"Here you go honey." She said with a sweet smile gracing her lips..

He looked up from an old re-run of Miami Vice, gave her a once over before turning back to the T.V.. "What the hell has gotten into you?"

She gave a little smile. "Nothing really. I just thought about it for a while, and came to the conclusion that maybe I needed to be more willing towards you. All your life you've worked for a goal. When you had it in your grasps, and were ready to take the next step, you lost it. I realized that I should have been there more for you than I was." He looked back up back at her..

" I guess I didn't make it all that easy for anyone, especially you, to help me." He said remorsefully. He then gave a little smile, giving what she thought as her once last glimpse at the boy she fell in love with. Done with the heart to heart he turned back to his show.

"Well I guess I'm going to go to bed. I'm getting a headache." She said and started to turn around. As his arm darted out in front of her, she tensed, getting ready for the pain she was familiar with. Instead he softly grabbed her by the waist and pulled her to him.

"Come here." He said quietly. She obeyed and met him at eye level. He pulled her closer to his face and gave her a whisper of a kiss on the lips.

"Goodnight, baby." He said against her lips.

The surprise kept her from replying quickly, after a couple seconds she recovered saying with a gentle stroke over his hair.

"Goodnight, Drake." And good bye she added as an after thought. Straightening up she gave him once last smile before turning on her heel and headed for the stairs. The sweet little exchange they had, almost made her want to turn around and pour the beer down the sink. Almost. All she had to do now was wait.

Nick had to get up and move around. He was a cop, dammit. He was supposed to believe in the law, and believe that it worked. Yet sitting across from him at restaurant table, Rachel-Lynn was a sure sign that sometimes the law couldn't do shit for good people.

The Rachel-Lynn sitting in front of him had nothing in common with the one he knew as a kid. Rachel-Lynn was shy and quiet. Then when you got to be her friend you found she had courage and spirit. She would never let anyone else control her life. But that's what she did. It took all that he was not to fly to that miserable little town and beat the snot out of the song of bitch that changed her for the worse.

He sat and looked at her good. Now, she was still quiet, but by choice. She constantly looked over her shoulder ever since she got there. And weather she knew it or not, she was waiting for him to show up. To show up and control her life once more.

"Let me get this straight, You poisoned him, with your moms help, and ran? Is that right?" Nick asked skeptically

"It's not as bad as it sounds Nick.. OK so I might have put a little bit more of the stuff in his drink than I should have, but I got out. Isn't that what's important here?" Rachel-Lynn asked defensively.

"No you're right. It's not that bad and getting out was what's important. Now what's important is starting your new life. But before that I need to know EVERYTHING that happened. Don't leave anything out, because if Drake ends up dead, the police are going to look at you. It's textbook, Boyfriends dead, girlfriends gone. So finish the rest."

Nick leaned back in his chair and took a swig of the beer that he had set in front of him. He gave Rachel-Lynn a look when she didn't say anything.

"Fine. Whatever."

An hour later, Rachel-Lynn, crept down the stairs for the second time. With her backpack that contained a brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, and an extra set of clothes she moved slowly towards the living room. Her heart was beating fast and she could her the blood rushing through her ears. If it didn't work, I'll never get away. She thought to herself.

As she passed the archway into the living room, all she could see was the recliner and the television in front of it. As she rounded to the side of the chair, she noticed that the beer she had given Drake had fallen to the floor. And Drake lay motionless in his chair. Scared that if she checked he would wake, or worse be dead, she ran.

She ran to the door and slammed through it. Not stopping she ran off the farm and kept running down the dirt road. As she ran she could hear the slapping of feet, and feel the vibrations going up her leg with each one. When her feet met the solid ground of the road she hunched over supporting her upper body with her arms place her knees she took ina much needed breath.

Breathing easier she glanced at her watch 8:50 she had five minutes to make it there or she would miss her bus. She took a deep breath looked towards her target and ran as fast as she could. She couldn't imagine the wrath she would endure if she missed her bus, and then have to go back to the farm. With that thought she gritted her teeth and willed her legs to run faster.

When she hit the sidewalk to the gas station she sighed in relief she slowed her run down to a jog and kept her ears perked for noises, when the crackling of rocks met her ears she jumped and ran the last 2 feet to the bus and up the stairs.

"Your just in time little lady." The bus driver smiled

After giving him a tight smile she made her way down the aisle of the nearly empty bus and took a seat in the back. Plopping down in the chair she stretched out her cramping muscles and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "I made it." She whispered.

When the bus pulled out the parking lot she held her breath and prayed they didn't pass the ole dirt road the farm was on, but she let it out when they turned left onto the highway.

As they reached the city limits of Montrose she smiled to herself and prayed that Drake would just forget about her and let her live a normal life.

"Just a couple more days and you'll be free. Just hold on." She told her self, leaning her head against the window and closing her eyes.

Nick sat in his chair with a wide eyed look. All he could was stare at her, and thank god she had gotten away. But he was fighting with his emotions. He was stuck between a rock and hard place, yes she had poisoned him but in his mind it was for the best. Then again it was against the law and he was fighting against the cop in him.

As the battle waged in his mind for right and wrong. Rachel sat quietly drawing patterns on the table. She was scared he would see her as a monster for doing what she did but she hoped he would see it from her point of view. If she hadn't of done what she did, then she probably would have been dead. That thought alone scared the hell out of her.

When a hand was placed over hers she jumped slightly and immediately locked eyes with him. The emotions playing in his eyes made her feel for him, he served for justice and she could see plain as day he was fighting to put the cop aside and be her friend.

Letting out a heavy sigh nick gave her a small smile. "I understand what you had to do to survive and I'm going to seriously shush the cop that is whispering in my ear that this is wrong. So what I want to do is get you started on this new life without the asshole who is lucky he is thirty-thousand miles away from me."

"I know what I did was wrong Nick, and I wouldn't be mad if you turned me in." she said softly averting her gave to there joined hands.

"Do you really think I could put my best friend in jail? I just said in plain terms I wouldn't. That I am willing to over look this in the interest that I'm glad for once in your life you, came to your god damn senses and left the bastard." He bellowed letting the irritation in his voice be known.

"Okay. Thanks nick." She said letting a small smile grace her lips. Reaching across the table she gave him a light hug. Turning her face into his shoulder she whispered in his ear. "For everything."

"You're welcome sweetheart. Now let's get out of here. You need to sleep you look like a damn raccoon."

"Gee thanks." She said sarcastically with a roll of her eyes. "Oh how you stroke my ego."

Chuckling to himself he pushed up out of the chair and hooked an arm around her neck. "What do you say we go to my place, pop in a movie and veg like old times?"

"I think that's the best idea I've heard in a long time." She said wrapping her arm around his waist and sighing happily.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: abusiveex