Georgia Lynn Mason was born November 1st, 1983.  She always went by Gia because she couldn't stand people asking if she was named after the Ray Charles song.  She wasn't.  Her mother had a college roommate named Gerogia and decided that her first daughter should inherit the name.

Gia and Justin had met through a mutual friend, purely a coincidence.  Matt, the mutual friend, had invited Gia to a party that Justin just happened to be throwing.  Their first meeting happened when Gia spilled her drink all over Justin's white t-shirt.  She apologized profusely and offered to buy him a new one.  Surprisingly, he accepted the offer.

*Flashback*

"Oh Gosh, I am so sorry."  Gia attempted to wipe the brownish stain from the man's shirt while she apologized. "I feel terrible."

"It's OK.  It was an accident."  Gia looked up into the captivating blue eyes of Justin Timberlake and her embarrassment grew ten-fold.

"No, really, I'm so sorry.  Let me buy you a new one, something.  I feel so horrible...and embarrassed."

Justin chuckled before scanning the room.  It was crowded and smokey, and even though the party was at his house, he needed to get away.

"Do you really mean that?  That you'll buy me a new shirt?"  Gia looked up at him with a questioning look, but she nodded in the affirmative.  "Then let's go."

Justin grabbed her hand and led her through the crowd to what she assumed was the garage.  She had assumed correctly, and soon she was being helped into the passenger side of a pick-up truck and the two were driving through the gate to Justin's house.

"Uhm...I know we just met, but my word is good.  I will buy you a new shirt, we didn't have to leave now."  She stared at the man next to her and felt a shiver when he let out anther masculine chuckle.

"I don't care about the shirt, really, I just needed a reason to get out of there."

"But it's your house."  She wasn't stupid by any means, but she really wasn't following his logic.

"I know.  You probably think I'm nuts.  I just needed air.  The only reason I was throwing the party is because my buddy convinced me I needed to get some ass and the only way to do it would be to bring girls over and get them trashed."

Gia cleared her throat at his honesty.  This was getting more uncomfortable by the minute.

Justin glanced over at the girl he'd dragged into he passenger seat.  She looked bewildered and he held back another laugh.

"I'm sorry, you must think I'm psycho.  I promise I won't rape you or anything."

She nodded slightly and shifted in her seat. "I'm Gia."

"What?"

"My name, it's Gia."

"That's a different name, just Gia?"

She shook her head. "No, it's short for Georgia, but I can't stand it, so...just Gia."

Justin licked his lips and smiled over at his passenger. "I think Georgia is a beautiful name, it fits you."

She blushed slightly but didn't respond.  Justin pulled the truck to a stop and Gia looked up to see a clothing store.

"Still want to buy me that t-shirt? This one is getting sticky."

*end*

It's safe to say that Gia had never had another relationship start the way that She and Justin had started, but she liked that about them.  They had started off slowly, really slowly.  Soon after she had bought him the t-shirt he had flown over seas for something music related and the two didn't see each other for about two months, but he called.

He called every day and made her promise to spare time for him when he landed back in the states.  After the first couple of dates, things sped up pretty quickly and Gia found herself in love with him after only a month or so.  It scared her shitless, but Justin seemed just as taken as she was.  It had been beautiful, they had been beautiful.   

~*~

Gia settled into her favorite chair in the livingroom, the one that almost swallows her whole.  She liked feeling protected within the soft suede, it was comforting.

After breakfast, Justin ushered her out of the kitchen so he could clean up.  She agreed, but only because she wanted to dely the inevitable as long as possible too.

She could catch a glimps of him every now and then through the doorway to the kitchen, and she kept her blue eyes focused in that direction.  It was like watching a ticking timebomb but not really knowing when the final countdown would begin.

The divide in their relationship had started a few months earlier.  Gia had spent some time back home with family (a family that was by no means perfect) and being there sent her into a depression that neither She nor Justin was ready to handle.  Needless to say, it was trying for the both of them.

A noise from the doorway broke Gia from her thoughts and she looked up to see Justin watching her.

"You look lost." He stated, not moving from his position against the door frame.

"Just thinking.  Do you still have that t-shirt I bought you?  The one from the first time we met?"

If he was surprised by the question, he didn't show it.  Gia guessed it was because he had been thinking about the past as much as she had.

"Yeah.  I keep it in my closet, or in my suitcases when I travel."

She nodded, not sure of what to say next.  The tension was growing and she was starting to feel suffocated.

"I'm heading to Tennessee for a while."

There it was.  No build up, no suspense.  Just the truth.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, Gia.  I just...I can't do this...I..."  He trailed off, his voice getting tight.  He was fighting tears.

"No, no...I'm sorry."

"Don't.  Just, don't.  I need time, Gia, I need to figure out what to do now.  and I really think that you need something more than me.  I can't help you, I don't even know what it is you're fighting..."

The tears should've come by now, but her face was still dry.  She wasn't sure where this psudo-strength was coming from, but she prayed that it lasted a little bit longer.

"I know. How long will you be in Tennessee for?"

"I don't know.  A month maybe.  I'll figure it out when I get there, I guess."  He avoided her gaze and she wished more than anything that he would look at her.  "I'm leaving tonight."

Gia took in a shaky breath and held it for a few seconds before letting it out slowing.  Her foot tapped nervously on the carpet with a soft pat-pat that seemed too loud in the silence.

"I want you to get better, but I don't think being with me is helping."  Justin's voice was quiet, but she heard it loud and clear.

"I...I'm not sure I can do this without you, J."  She spoke, and her words seemed to be the trigger that shot down her resolve.  The tears flowed freely now. "I...I know I've been pushing you away, I do.  I'm sorry...I just...you make me happy, Justin.  I don't know if I can make it knowing that I'm not coming home to you anymore..."

Justin pursed his lips tightly and sniffled back some tears before he crossed the room and took the breaking girl into his arms.

"G, you need help.  You need someone that's a professional that can help you figure out whatever it is you need to fix.  I can't sit back and watch you fall apart...not anymore.  I don't think I'm helping the situation, I know you're hiding it because you don't want me to see...but I know.  Gia, I know.  I know that you're not happy and I don't think anything I do or say will fix that."

She let out half a sob before closing her mouth and trying to gain some composure.  Justin held her tighter. 

"I'm so sorry, baby.  I'm so sorry that I have to do this to us."  His tears were streaming as heavily as hers were.  "I need you to get better, but I think the only way you can do that is without me."

"But I love you!" she pounded her fists on his shoulders a couple of times before giving up and collapsing into his embrace. 

Justin moved them over to the couch and sank into the cushions.

"I love you too, Georgia..." 

The couple sat there holding each other with no sense of the time.  She held on knowing that this would be the last time, and he held on hoping to stop her from completely breaking.

"I'll be out of the house as soon as I can."  She mumbled sometime later.

"Take your time.  I called my friend, Morgan, she's a real estate agent and she said she'd help you find something."

Gia nodded numbly.  She wanted to be angry that he had this all planned out, but she knew that she hadn't given him much choice.  Her depression was hurting him almost as much as it hurt her.

"You should go pack, I don't want you to miss your flight."

"I'm already packed.  I did it yesterday..."  He pulled her tighter to his lean frame before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.  "I know I'm hurting you and I wish I knew a better way to handle this..."

"It's OK, Justin.  I know why.  I don't blame you, really...I...I know I need help, I was just too scared to admit it."

He pulled her to him again, mostly so he didn't have to see the sorrow on her face.  This time he knew the reasons why she looked so sad, and it was all his fault.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story