Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everybody, here's the newest rewritten chapter. I actually had to go back through chapter one to change a few words. If there is anything that says Irish or Ireland, it's supposed to say Scottish or Scotland. So yeah, sorry for the few errors I didn't catch. Anyway, hope you enjoy the new chapter and as always, please leave me some great feedback. Thanks!

Chapter 2

“What do you mean they want you?’ Dexter demanded, quickly closing his mouth after it had fallen open in shock, “Why, you have never been anywhere in Scotland besides a few of their largest shipping ports, and only for a short time at that. I know that the clans are fiercely protective of their lands and families, but it is next to impossible that you gained an enemy there.”

“I know that,” Justin quietly replied as he pondered the situation, “However, we cannot rule out the possibility that maybe we angered somebody with some of our dealings through the shipping company. The Scottish are a fierce lot not to be crossed and we may have unknowingly crossed some line.”

“I highly doubt that either of us has made any enemies through our shipping company, especially with the Scottish. You remember the month we spent in Scotland when one of our ships sprung a leak; each and every person was nothing less than kind and beyond helpful,” Dexter responded.

“I remember that. However, that was only two particular clans. There are many within Scotland, and we could have angered any one of them with some business deal or some good that they did not think was up to standard,” Justin continued, fully convinced that they had erred where their business was concerned.

“I seriously doubt that you have somehow angered a Scottish clan that we have yet to do business with,” Dexter protested, “I know that many of the British are still sore over the war that occurred a few years back with America, but I don’t think the Scottish feel the need to snub us because of that folly.”

“Perhaps,” Justin agreed, still thinking, “Well then mayhap someone from another country is unhappy with some goods we have provided or the way we run our company.”

“I highly doubt that. After all, our company has that infallible reputation for being fair, considerate and reliable,” Dexter responded, doubtful of his best friend’s suggestion, “It may sound egotistical, but we take great care in providing the best for our allies and customers.”

“That is true. We have always been very generous and always fair in our dealings with any of the European countries that we ship and trade with,” Justin mused, rubbing his chin as he spoke.

“And besides, the note asks only for you, which makes no sense where our company is concerned, since it is owned and operated by the both of us,” Dexter added as an afterthought.

“Well perhaps this attack has something to do with the birthparents I am searching for,” Justin stated as he went to the railing and gazed at the ship waiting in the distance, “Mayhap somebody knows of the real reason why I was sent away from England all those years ago.”

“Perhaps, but how could that be possible?” Dexter questioned, “Surely your birthparents have no idea that you are headed to London. That is if they are still alive after all these years.” Justin frowned at his friend’s words.

“Maybe somebody here knows more than my adoptive parents or I,” Justin commented, his hands tightly gripping onto the railing, “How can we be sure that somebody has not been keeping an eye on me all those years I spent growing up on the plantation in Georgia and knows that I am now coming to London to search for my birthparents?”

“We do not. But surely somebody would have noticed if the plantation, or you for that matter, were being watched, especially over such a long period of time,” Dexter commented, once again doubtful.

“I do not know,” Justin responded, exasperated, “Bloody hell, maybe the reason my parents gave me up was because it was the only thing they could do in order to save my life or cover up some political mishap.”

“Well unless your parents happen to be the king and queen of England, which is, of course, impossible, I don’t see any reason why somebody would want to kidnap you now, even if your parents gave you up because of political reasons,” Dexter scoffed, unconvinced, “After all, it has been twenty-seven years since you crossed the seas to America and were adopted.”

“I know!” Justin cried in aggravation as he wracked a hand through his tousled curls, “I’m at a loss as to the reason for this note and its demands.”

“Well at least we have reasoned out a few of the possibilities for the reasoning behind this madness,” Dexter helpfully stated as he shrugged his shoulders, “Not that that is altogether very much help.” Justin sighed.

“So we have ruled out anything having to do with the shipping company, and most likely anything having to do with my biological parents. What other options do we have left? Pirates?” Justin demanded as he began to pace the wooden deck, his hands placed firmly on his hips.

“Bloody hell if I know,” Dexter responded as he snatched the parchment from his friend’s hands and reread the threat. It held no clue as to the writer’s true intent, “Pirates don’t exactly try to kidnap a single person from a ship they are attacking, and they don’t usually send notes of warning.”

“Justin, what is going on here?” Sofie suddenly questioned before Justin could reply.

Both men quickly whirled at the sound of her voice, both sending glares in her direction as if daring her to take another step towards them. Ignoring the looks, the young woman quickly joined her brother and his best friend on the deck near the ship’s wheel, quickly pushing back a wisp of hair that had blown into her face. Justin wanted to throttle her as she patiently waited for him to provide her with an explanation.

“Sofie, now is not the time for being stubborn and ignoring what I told you. Get back to the cabin this instant and stay put!” Justin harshly stated, annoyed at her disobedience.

“It is too dangerous for you to be up here,” Dexter said at about the same time, his heart beating rapidly in his chest, realizing the possible danger that she could be in.

The two were quite comical in their over-protectiveness, and Sofie would have burst into laughter if it wasn’t for the serious looks both men were sporting at that moment. She really should just hike her butt back to her brother’s cabin and wait there until he said so. But she couldn’t help the fact that she was stubborn and hated being treated like a child.

And both men, unbeknownst to them, where treating her exactly as that.

“If you two would quit acting like over-concerned parents then maybe you would realize that I am quite capable of taking care of myself,” she finally stated, much to the two men’s horror, “I am not a child.”

“Sofie, we know you are not a child,” Dexter gently stated as he attempted to keep his heart from beating faster in his chest due to the very desirable picture she presented. After all, she was Justin’s sister!

“My dear sister, it is just that we have no idea who may be aboard that other ship,” Justin ground out, wanting to box his sister’s ears for all the trouble she was putting him through.

“Justin is right,” Dexter firmly agreed as he placed a hand on Sofie’s upper arm, fully intent on leading her back to Justin’s cabin, “Your brother and I both care for you immensely and do not want to see anything happen to you, so it would be best for you to remain in the safety of the captain’s cabin.” Sofie sighed, realizing that this was one of the times where Dexter’s loyalty was to Justin rather than to her.

“Fine. But at least tell me what is going on instead of treating me like I am about to break,” she snapped, ignoring the way Dexter’s hand on her upper arm sent her heart racing. She would not allow her feelings for him, unreturned though they were, undermine her stubborn resolve.

“Very well,” Justin reluctantly agreed, “Do you see that ship over there?”

“That one that is not flying any colors?” Sofie questioned as soon as she spotted the smaller ship that was a few paces behind them.

“Yes, that one,” Justin confirmed, “Well apparently they seem to want to have a few words with me.”

“They want to kidnap you?” Sofie practically screeched, her eyes emitting a sisterly anger that Justin found amusing and annoying at the same time.

“It appears that way,” he lazily drawled, leaning against the railing as he waited expectantly for Sofie’s indignant outburst on his behalf. He was not disappointed.

“Why if they think that they are going to overcome this ship and simply remove you from it against your will, they certainly have another thing coming,” the young woman stated, her blue eyes flashing in incensed outrage, “I should like to give them a piece of my mind, thinking they can just walk off with my brother just because they…”

“Um, Sofie?” Dexter questioned, trying to keep a straight face as she continued to rave about the unknown ship that was asking for her brother.

“…walk right up to those no good, simple-minded fools of…”

“Sofie?” Justin tried, trying to catch his sister’s attention as she began to pace the deck in front of him and Dexter, all the while continuing her tirade on the atrocity of the situation. She was still unaware of both men.

“Sofie!!!” Dexter finally cried as he grabbed hold of the young woman by the waist in order to gain her attention and stop her frantic pacing. Instantly, the young woman was still as she stared mutely up into the handsome face of the man she wanted as her husband.

“Nobody is going to go walking off with Justin, not if I or any of the other crew members can help it,” Dexter firmly stated as he stared down into her shocked blue eyes.

“We just need to find out what this other ship wants with me. I am sure that it is just some big miscommunication,” Justin added, forcing himself not to roll his eyes as he realized his sister and his best friend were immersed in each other.

“Promise?” Sofie softly whispered as she nervously licked her dry lips.

“I promise,” Dexter confidently replied, trying to ignore the heat that poured into his veins as he watched her tongue slip back into her mouth.

She gave him a dazzling smile in thanks and he felt his heart beat rapidly in his chest. If he didn’t get away from her soon, he was bound to do the unthinkable and kiss her. Justin would yell at him; no, Justin would more likely kill him, Justin…was still standing a few feet away, his arms crossed over his chest, his eyebrows raised in question.

Dexter immediately let go of Sofie, stepped away from her and cleared his throat. Upon hearing that sound, Sofie quickly snapped back to reality and blushed as she realized that she had had the attention of her brother all throughout the exchange with Dexter. At least he hadn’t said anything…

“If the two of you are done, I propose we get back to the problem at hand,” Justin cheekily commented as he lounged against the ship’s railing. Sofie’s blush deepened and she immediately stared at the wooden planks of the floor like it was the most interesting thing she had seen in a long while.

“So whatever do these unknown assailants want with you?” Sofie quietly questioned, her gaze still rooted to the floor.

“That’s what Dexter and I were trying to figure out,” Justin admonished.

“And unfortunately, we haven’t been able to come to a plausible conclusion in any way,” Dexter added from his position next to Justin at the railing.

“So what do you plan on doing then? Surely you are not going to oblige their request and give yourself up to them,” Sofie stated her eyes widening with horror as she spoke.

“Well I certainly don’t plan on being kidnapped from my own ship if that’s what you mean,” Justin firmly responded, chewing on his lip in thought, “Well not if I can help it, that is.”

“So you think we should fight then?” Dexter asked, surprised.

“I can see no other way around it…”

 


“Captain, the American ship has not yet sent a reply. Shall we proceed with the attack, or continue to hold off?” a burly, dark-haired man asked, directing his question toward his superior and friend, who stood at the ship’s wheel.

“We shall continue to wait. My orders are strict Bretton; the American captain must be taken, unharmed, so that we can deliver him to Lady Seline in Scotland,” the captain responded as he pulled out his spyglass.

He knew that Bretton, his childhood companion whom he considered one of his closest confidants, seriously doubted the decision to give chase to the American ship. But at this point, there were no other options left to him. Once the American captain, Justin Bennington, reached port and traveled to London, they would be hard-pressed to search him out.

“So ye do not actually plan on firing upon his ship?” Bretton questioned.

“Not if I can help it,” the captain responded, grimacing “The Merry Georgian is one of the fastest merchant ships to sail the seas and Scotland depends upon many of the goods she brings into port each month. Therefore, we do not want to make an enemy of her now and allow any of Scotland’s clans to suffer the consequences. That would just be inviting some of the other clans to declare war upon our own, and ye know that peace is shaky at best as it is.”

“Well since ye plan on kidnapping the ship’s captain, I don’t believe that sort of catastrophe is avoidable,” Bretton remarked as he glanced warily at the American ship, which still sailed in the direction of the English port of Southampton.

“They do not know us as Scottish, as we have not flown colors or given any indication to our affiliation with any one country,” the captain reminded, “I do not believe they have any idea who they are dealing with, which is exactly how I would like it to be.

“But how can ye be sure?” Bretton persisted, ever the devil’s advocate to his friend. The captain sighed.

“Just relay the message to the men that they are not to fire unless the order comes directly from my mouth, is that understood?” the captain stated, not wanting to further discuss the topic at hand. He hated having his decisions questioned, but as leader of his clan, he knew that would always happen, especially from those closest to him.

“As ye wish Kiefer,” Bretton responded with a slight bow, wisely knowing to leave the conversation as it stood so as not to anger his captain.

Quickly moving among the crew members, who stood tensely waiting, weapons drawn and at the ready, Bretton relayed the captain’s message. There was a collective sigh among the men, for none were all too eager to draw arms and do battle against an American ship. Especially when that ship was known for its great speed.

Back at the wheel, the captain held his spy glass to his eye, searching out the tall figure of the American captain and trying to discern what was taking place aboard the Merry Georgian. It had been some time since his pet falcon had flown and delivered the message, and there still had been no reply from the American ship. It made him somewhat uneasy.

With an aggravated sigh, the handsome young man turned away from the sight of his prey, forgetting the object of his mission for the time-being as unwanted thoughts began to force their way into his mind once again.

This mission would be his last, and most important, before he had to take over his duties to his family and clan. The freedom he so highly valued, and the seas which he so desperately loved, would be taken away from him; replaced with obnoxious social galas, stuffy chambers, and twittering, annoying females, one whom he would have to eventually wed. It was a future he was not looking forward to by any means.

But as the new leader of clan Kennedy, a position that came with much responsibility, Kiefer Scott Maximus Kennedy had no choice. The title of clan leader had been bestowed upon him at birth, as his father was the clan leader and had decreed it so. Now, with his father finally stepping down from the position, Kiefer found himself stepping into a responsibility that he did not want and feared he could not manage. But he had no choice, his future was set in stone, had been from the day of his birth and there was nothing he could do to escape it.

Clan Kennedy was situated near sea deep in highland Scotland. Much of their wealth depended upon what could be gotten from the fleet of ships that was maintained and manned by other members of the clan. He had been given the duty of overseeing these ships by his father, who had sensed the lad’s restlessness, on his twenty-first birthday.

So with a good eight years of sea travels and expeditions under his belt, it was no surprise that he was finding it difficult to give it all up for a title and birthright. His heart was married to the sea and it ached because he would no longer be able to come and go freely upon the waters which he so loved. But all of it he must give up, for he could not abandon his clan, nor ignore the oath he had given to his father to accept the responsibility of clan leader.

“Dearest brother, what has ye so down?” a female voice suddenly questioned from behind him. Keifer immediately whipped around, his brooding look replaced with one of surprise as he beheld the female form he knew so well.

“Angela what in bloody hell are ye doing here?” Keifer demanded as he took in the sight of his sister, dressed in breeches and a loose-fitting tunic, her long hair hanging down her back in a severe braid.

“Well I could not very well let ye have all the fun, now could I?” the five-foot-five brunette responded as she came to stand next to her brother at the railing, her brown eyes, a mirror to his own, sparkling, “Clan life was getting boring and monotonous, what with mother trying yet again to push me at as many eligible men as she can that our clan has to offer. I decided that instead of trying to continue to put up with her, I would take a short holiday.” Kiefer rolled his eyes at the explanation.

“Ye do realize that it is yer duty to marry and produce offspring just as it is my duty to be the clan’s leader and ensure its continued existence, right?” Kiefer wryly questioned, grinning.

Despite the shock that he had first felt upon seeing his sister on his ship, Kiefer could not help feeling that he should have seen it coming. He had known that Angela had been unhappy at the clan manor house for some time, their mother having it in her head that her eldest daughter needed to get married and produce grandchildren. Angela, he knew, was not ready for that.

Growing up as children, Kiefer and Angela had always been close. The eldest two of six children, they had been inseparable, Angela having idolized her eldest sibling ever since she could walk and trail after him. After all, the third sibling was 7 years younger than her, a mere baby when she was running about the fields, trying to keep up her brother.

It was due to their father’s doting nature, and his willingness to letting Angela have her way that she had developed such an independent and stubborn nature as a young woman. She could ride a horse, hunt, fish, field and use a sword as good as any grown man in clan Kennedy. Unfortunately, their mother found more often than not that those were qualities no man was looking for in a wife.

Angela could also do all the work required by the clan women – cooking, cleaning, mending and more specifically, running a household with a well-trained hand, however, these were not something she enjoyed in the least. More often than not Kiefer would find her dressed in breeches and a tunic, her hair tucked under a cap as she tried to pass off as a man. But she was well past the time when she should have married and put her wild ways aside.

“Yes, I realize that I must marry, but it does not mean that I am not going to have a bit of fun before I am forced to marry and give mother the grandchildren she so desires,” Angela stated, her eyes flashing with anger.

Kiefer grinned. As if she had not ever had any fun before.

“I am more than prepared to do my duty as a woman of the clan, however, I would rather do it of my own time and accord, instead of being forced by a mother who just wants grandchildren,” Angela continued on her tirade.

“Ye know mother wants to see ye happily settled and not just because she wants grandchildren,” Kiefer reminded his sister as he lounged against a railing of the pristinely-kept ship.

“Yes, I know. I just wish she would stop pushing so hard,” Angela said with a pout, “I know she’s itching to get me married so she can turn her sights on Ailise, who has been dying, for god only knows what reason, to get permission to marry Donall, who has been asking for her the past two years.”

“That is just how Ailise is and ye know that,” Kiefer stated as he thought of their third sibling, 18-year old Ailise.

“I know. I just wish mother would leave me be and concentrate on her. I would be more than happy to oblige mother with her marriage-minded ways if I was allowed to choose my husband,” Angela stated in a huff.

“What about Kerr? Has he not been after ye for the better part of five years?” Kiefer questioned his sister in reference to one of the clan’s young advisors whom had been bewitched by Angela since the moment he had laid eyes on her years ago.

“I fear the wait has worn him down and he does not show a preference for me as his wife any longer,” the younger woman glumly stated, her shoulders drooping as the words crossed her lips.

Kiefer knew that his sister more than favored Kerr Samson as a husband, especially since he was an advisor to him, her favored brother, as new clan leader. Kerr was her ideal match, but the fact that their mother had figured that out and proceeded to push Angela to accept him had made her balk and shy away from the handsome young man. There was also the fact that despite her independent and overconfident ways, deep down Angela hid the fear that she was not capable of being somebody’s wife and did not have the qualities in a wife that Kerr sought.

It did not matter that the young advisor could see no other woman and wanted no other woman than the fiery Angela Kennedy.

“Have hope Angie, I’m sure ye are mistaken,” Kiefer said as he gave his sister a reassuring smile. She just sighed, her eyes having lost some of their normal happy sparkle.

“If ye say so,” was all she stated, her voice quiet. Kiefer frowned.

“So does mother know ye are gone?” he abruptly questioned in order to change the subject, which seemed to be upsetting his sister.

“Well by now I am sure she has an idea that I am nowhere near the manor house nor on any of the clan lands, but as to whether she knows I am no longer in Scotland, I have no idea,” Angela honestly confessed, “And well, at this point, I could not care less.”

“Ye do realize that she is probably mad with worry and is most likely driving father up the wall?” Keifer dryly questioned, raising an eyebrow in his sister’s direction. She frowned.

“Perhaps I should send them a letter,” she began, worried for her father as she adored him as much as she adored her older brother.

“Or we could just dock in Southampton and I could send ye home on the next ship bound for Scotland and Kennedy lands while I finish up with my business for Aunt Seline,” Keifer countered. Angela wanted to clobber him.

“I am not going home until ye do, and that is final,” Angela stubbornly concluded as she crossed her arms over her chest. Kiefer rolled his eyes for she was exactly like their father, Ian – stubborn as a mule. But stubborn was better than the disheartened mood she had been in just moments before.

“Angela…” Kiefer warned, frowning in an effort to keep a smile from twitching at the corners of his mouth.

“Exactly what sort of business are ye doing for Aunt Seline?” Angela questioned, going on as if her brother had not said anything.

Truth be told, she was trying her hardest to distract him from the subject of sending her back to Scotland. She was not yet ready to face her mother, much less Kerr, who had asked her to marry him again. Especially since she had, for the most part, run away from home by stowing away on her brother’s ship.

Kiefer sighed. His sister just had to be outspoken, stubborn, and used to getting her way, didn’t she? It made things very difficult for him, for as much as he thought she needed to settle down and forget her wild ways, he still doted upon her, his favorite sibling. Unfortunately for him, that meant that he had the hardest time saying no to her.

And this time was no exception. There was no doubt that he would give in and allow her to stay, despite the fact that it was against his better judgment. He should, after all, send her home as quickly as possible as their parents must be sick with worry. But he knew he would not be able to force himself to do it.

Sisters. He rolled his eyes. One was enough, but he was blessed with four. His only brother, Ranald, Ran for short, came right in the middle of the four girls as the fourth child of six and was a mere sixteen years old, too young to have to worry about protecting his sisters and knowing the ways of women. At least, that was Kiefer’s opinion. He refrained from smiling as he thought about the way his young brother was more often than not caught staring at some fair maid of clan Kennedy, very much a Kennedy male and very much like Kiefer was at that age.

“Come on brother dearest, do tell me about what Aunt Seline has asked of you. After all, nobody ever seems to bother to tell me anything anyway, even though I am twenty-five years old,” Angela announced with a glare in her brother’s direction for his prolonged silence, “I am a grown woman, fully capable of making my own decisions, not some sheltered child like everybody makes me out to be.”

“Angie, I know that mother still treats ye as if you are five and I am sorry that she does. I know she can be overbearing and insufferable at times, but it is just her way of loving us,” Kiefer stated, running a hand through his hair as he spoke, “I do not mind telling ye what I know, however, the details of this mission Aunt Seline has sent me on are very few.”

“Well tell me what ye know then. I am sure I could be of some help, despite what mother may think,” Angela stated with a scowl.

“All that Aunt Seline asked of me was to bring Justin Bennington, the successful American shipping merchant, to the Kennedy manor house in Scotland. She wishes to have an audience with him for some reason and prefers that it be on home soil,” Kiefer revealed, “Ye know how much she detests even leaving the Kennedy lands, much less Scotland.”

“That is all she told ye?” Angela questioned, confused.

“Yes,” Kiefer assured her.

“It is very unlike Aunt Seline to be so secretive, especially with us, her family,” Angela stated, the details of the mission striking her as out of the ordinary, “Do ye have any idea what she might want with Justin Bennington? Surely she must have a rational explanation, as I am almost convinced that she has never met the man before.”

“That is what I was thinking,” Kiefer agreed, shrugging, “But I am sure once we get Bennington back to the manor and to see Aunt Seline, we will figure everything out.” Angela quickly nodded her head in agreement.

“So what is yer plan to get this American to Scotland then?” she questioned, curious as she watched her brother pull out his spy glass and look in the direction of a ship in the distance, “Surely ye do not mean to just kidnap him, do ye?”

“Well, that was the idea,” Kiefer dryly responded as he lowered the spy glass to give his sister a boyish grin. She rolled her eyes.

“Men,” she grumbled.

“I take it ye do not agree?” her brother demanded.

“Of course I do not. Kidnapping the man off his own ship? That would surely make an enemy of him, and it would be all the harder to get him to Scotland,” Angela commented, leaning on the railing as she spoke, “If Aunt Seline just wants to talk to him, then ye had best find a way to convince that American to go with ye, rather than force him.”

“And how do ye propose I do that?” Kiefer demanded, raising a dubious eyebrow in his sister’s direction.

“Ye could try talking to him once he lands in Southampton,” Angela dryly suggested, “Surely that would not hurt anything.”

“And what would ye have me tell him? That a Scottish woman of the Kennedy clan wishes to have an audience with him, but that he must go to meet her in the heart of the highlands? Surely ye know how foolish that request would be. No foreigner enjoys going into the highlands unless they have pressing business there or unless they are forced there,” Kiefer explained, “And besides, I know as a shipping merchant, he has a tight schedule to keep and most likely does not have the extra time to make a stop into Kennedy lands.”

Angela went to protest, but the words died on her lips as her brother’s pet falcon made a smooth landing on the deck a few feet away. A small piece of parchment was attached to one leg and when he noticed it, Kiefer immediately strode forward to retrieve it.

His heart beat in his chest as he began to unfold what he hoped was a reply from the American vessel. Indeed, it was, however, what was written on the parchment was not what he was expecting.

Prepare to fight.

“He wants to fight,” Kiefer mused, mostly to himself.

“What? Surely ye know this is insanity,” Angela cried, her brown eyes growing wide, “Ye know as well as I that the men we have aboard the ship are seasoned warriors who are more than prepared to fight to the death if it is required of them.”

“I know that and ye should realize I do not want to fight him,” Kiefer told his sister, trying to soothe her worry, “I just do not understand how Aunt Seline expects me to bring this American in without hurting him when he is not being cooperative in any way.”

“Perhaps ye should take my suggestion and allow him to dock in Southampton,” Angela spoke up, “It could not hurt to at least try and talk to him before ye kidnap him to Scotland and make an enemy of him.”

“I just do not believe anything would come of that,” Kiefer returned as he eyed the American vessel that was slowly beginning to pull away from his ship.

“Kiefer!” Bretton suddenly called out as he hurried over to the captain’s side, his face drained of its usual color, which was unusual for his friend, who was also a seasoned warrior. Kiefer immediately became alert to the fact that something was not right.

“What is it Bretton?” the captain demanded.

“The British navy is approaching,” the second-in-command got out, obviously shaken up, “What do ye propose we do? We do not fly any colors right now and could be mistaken for pirates.”

“What of the Merry Georgian?” Kiefer immediately demanded, cursing the fact that he was losing his prey and would most likely have to change his plans in order to complete this mission for his aunt.

“The American ship has already received clearance to dock into port and is, at this moment, preparing to do so,” Bretton revealed, much to Kiefer’s utter chagrin.

“We must retreat then,” Kiefer deftly stated, “Until the ship can be prepared to fly our country’s colors and receive clearance to dock in Southampton, then we have no choice but to give up the chase at this time.”

“Fine with me Kiefer, shall I inform the crew?” Bretton responded, relief causing color to infuse back into his cheeks.

“Yes,” Kiefer agreed, “After that is done, we shall steer a course back out to sea where we may anchor for a few days to get the ship ready to dock in Southampton.”

“Are ye going to try to talk to the American then?” Angela suddenly questioned, reminding her brother that he was not alone at the ship’s wheel.

“It appears that is the only option I have right now.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin alternateuniverse