Author's Chapter Notes:
It's been a very, very long time since I've updated this story...but recently it's been simmering in the back of mind mind, begging to be updated.  So here is the next installment, and as always, I appreciate any reviews!!

            The weak light of the fading day shone down upon the mixed group of Englishmen and Americans, their progress towards Halifax Manor slow.  Trunks had to be carried and there were just not enough horses for everybody to be able to ride.  It was truly trying Justin’s patience to the very limit.

            The handsome merchant was silent as he walked beside Dexter, many thoughts and emotions roiling through his head.  He was worried about Wallace.  He was annoyed that the search for his real family was being delayed yet again.  He was frustrated about having to intrude in the home of people he had no familiarity with.

            But most of all, he was infuriated by one Lady Nicole Ashby.

            A swish of the aforementioned lady’s hair caught his attention and he immediately scowled.  While he greatly appreciated the help she had provided them, he did not believe Nicole Ashby had any right riding on a horse without a groom; and wearing breeches to boot!  Didn’t she have any sense of decency?  Didn’t she realize that by wearing such form-fitting breeches, a man was given the perfect view of her shapely, delectable…

            Justin’s scowl blackened as he realized precisely where his thoughts had been headed towards in regard to the lovely miss.  He certainly didn’t like it, not one bloody bit.  He had known her all of an hour, had traded rather stinging verbal barbs with her and yet here he was fantasizing about a part of her anatomy he had no business thinking about.

            “Should I ask what the angry scowl is for or should I just wait for lightening to strike the lady down?” Dexter suddenly questioned in a low voice as he slightly inclined his head in Lady Nicole’s direction.  If possible, Justin’s scowl became even more pronounced.

            He sighed.  There were too many things that he had to focus on, too many things that he should be devoting his entire attention to and a pretty English lady was not one of them.  The sooner they were in London and away from Lady Nicole Ashby the better in his opinion.

            “I have no idea what you are insinuating,” Justin finally stated to his friend, his voice equally low, not wanting to be overheard.  He quickly wiped the scowl from his face.

            “Justin, we have been friends since we were boys in leading strings so do not try to play false with me,” Dexter replied, frustrated, “What is it that has made you so defensive around her?”

            “I am not defensive,” Justin protested, knowing full well that the reply sounded quite false, even to his own ears.  He rolled his eyes, starting to get annoyed with the best friend who knew him altogether too well.

            “What were the two of you discussing before I came upon you?” Dexter persisted, ignoring both the rolled eyes and the warning look Justin sent in his direction, “It must have been something rather important for you to act a cad towards the fairer sex.”

            “I am not a cad!  She is a woman and as such should not be running about in breeches, riding on horses and almost proceeding to get herself killed in the process.  She should have the decency to know better or at least to have somebody around to tell her that her behavior is far from appropriate,” Justin finally retorted in a heated whisper, his eyes flashing an icy blue.

            Dexter wanted to laugh at the explanation he was finally given.  Justin could be rather stubborn when he wanted and given that he had been in control of his life since turning eighteen was rather used to doing things his own way.  Clearly the lady appeared to be just as stubborn as his friend.  This was turning out to be a far more interesting adventure than he initially thought it would be.

            “I take it the lady did not take too kindly to you pointing this out to her?” Dexter questioned with a raised brow in his friend’s direction.  Justin frowned.

            “Of course not,” he angrily retorted, “And now we are stuck dealing with her company for lord knows how long given Wallace’s injury.”

            “You mean you are stuck dealing with her,” Dexter amended with a grin, “I for one find her to be a fine person upon speaking with her previously and your sister appears to be getting along with her extremely well. Perhaps you are too quick to judge?”

            “Time shall tell,” was all Justin could grumble as the pair fell silent.

            A few more minutes of traveling brought the large group to a gravel pathway lined by perfectly spaced trees which led to what appeared to be the family’s residence.  Cottages and a barn could be seen dotting a rolling hill farther along in the background with cattle roaming freely, being monitored by a lone rider on a horse.  The image was quite bucolic and Justin had to admit that if they would have to remain here for a few days, the setting could have been far worse.

            They continued to travel down the gravel path which eventually ended in a round-about, a giant multi-level fountain spouting water sitting in the middle of the drive.  Behind the fountain a grand set of stairs led up to a large porch, the double-door entrance of the manor capped with a large overhang supported by white columns.  The house itself, a red brick structure, was tw0 stories tall with both a left and a right wing, the roof dotted with multiple chimneys.  The lawn in front of both wings was expertly manicured, flowerbeds beneath the main floor windows of each wing blossoming a multitude of colors.

            Justin was used to the architecture of the southern plantation he grew up on and was no stranger to London’s different styles of buildings; however, he was impressed with the structure before him.  He watched as Marcus Ashby began to shout orders to the stable hands that had accompanied them; some of the men began to bring their belongings into the manor house while others saw to taking the horses towards a stable he now noticed off to the right of the home.

            “Come, I shall see you all settled into one of the guest wings so you can clean up before we sit to supper,” Marcus Ashby stated to the two men, a friendly expression remaining upon his face.

            “And before mother gets wind of what is going on,” Nicole sarcastically stated with a roll of her eyes, “Lord knows how easily she overreacts.”

            “You dear sister would do well to head up the back stairs and change your attire before our parent catches site of you and confines you to your room for the season,” Marcus dryly stated with a raised brow in her direction, “Leave mother to me.”

            With a huff, Nicole sank into a quick, albeit quite comical curtsey given her lack of skirts and bid the three men and Sofia a polite goodbye before heading round towards the back of the house.  Justin had to bite his tongue through the exchange to prevent an angry retort to her sarcasm.  Thus far, his opinion of the lady remained unchanged.

            Marcus marched up the stairs as his men continued to complete the tasks they were given; Justin and his companions had no choice but to follow.  An ancient looking butler in a crisp uniform opened the large, stately door; his eyes were a bright steely blue that appeared to miss nothing.  But he kept silent at the sight of the visitors following in his young masters wake, too proper and polite to voice his opinion.

            Justin surveyed his surroundings with observant eyes.  The main foyer of the manor house within which they stood was impressive; a vaulted curved ceiling spanned both floors, a large, decorative candelabra hanging in the center of the ceiling and throwing bright light across the room.  At the end of the foyer was a majestic staircase that went up half a flight before splitting off to travel both left and right up to the second floor.  Two closed doors lined each side of the foyer with a hallway in between that Justin assumed to lead towards the different wings of the house.

            The parquet floors gleamed in obvious cleanliness.  A grouping of three overstuffed chairs sat in the middle of the room on a Persian rug, a short table situated in front that beckoned the waiting visitor to sit.  Framed artwork dotted along both walls of the foyer, the expert taste visible to even the most untrained eye.  Overall, the room screamed of elegance and Justin found that he was impressed by the finery he saw.

            He glanced over to see both his sister and Dexter glancing discreetly around the room, waiting politely as Marcus spoke to a woman who appeared to be the housekeeper.  He watched as Sofie fidgeted with edges of her gloves, an obvious sign of her discomfort at the elegant surroundings.  After being bounced around in a carriage and slung on the back of a horse, her hair was starting to come undone from its pins and her dress was slightly wrinkled and dusty.  He was not surprised that she appeared out of her element given the circumstances.

            “Please allow our housekeeper, Mrs. Banks to show you to your rooms,” Marcus finally stated as he turned towards his guests, the housekeeper at his side, “The servants can prepare a bath for you if you so desire.  Dinner will be served at half past six so I shall send a footman to collect you at a quarter after the hour.  Does this sound agreeable?”
            “We shall be ready by then,” Dexter stated with a smile towards the nobleman, “I do not know how we will be able to repay your kindness.”

            “Please, think nothing of it,” Marcus said, returning the smile, “It has been a trying day for you in my country and the least I can do is provide hospitality in your time of need.”

            “We are much obliged and shall try our best not to be a bother,” Justin stated, once again marveling at how comfortable, and friendly, he felt around Marcus Ashby while the sister got under his skin so easily.

            “It is no bother at all.  We have plenty of guest rooms to spare and I for one am pleased to have guests to break the lull of the past few months,” Marcus insisted, “If anything, I will be the bothersome one as I will likely request your company during my morning rides.  They sometimes become frightfully dull when riding alone.” Justin laughed.

            “Well I for one will gladly accept the offer,” he responded, “Given the circumstances surrounding our arrival at your home, I will welcome any distraction.”

            “Wonderful.  We shall talk more on this later, but for now, I insist you retire to your rooms to refresh.  I must speak with my mother before she hears word of visitors from a servant as she hates to be caught unawares,” Marcus said as he shook hands with both men and bowed over Sofie’s hand.

            “Our driver?” Sofie softly questioned, voicing what Justin had been thinking.

            “I shall check on his progress but Mrs. Banks informed me that the doctor is still caring for him at this moment,” Marcus explained, “Now if you would excuse me, I shall see you at supper.”

            With a final bow, Marcus quit the room and the trio were left to follow after the housekeeper.  The older woman chattered on about the family and the manor house, her excitement at having guests palpable.  Justin wondered if it was an unusual occurrence for the family to have visitors until he remembered that Parliament was in recess around this time of year and the noble families tended to retire to their country estates for a month before the political and social season resumed.

            The housekeeper had led them down a hallway into the west wing and up a secondary staircase to bedchambers located on the second floor.  The walls were again dotted with tasteful artwork; a long, plush carpet lined the hallway and muted their footfalls.  They stopped about halfway down the hall when the housekeeper halted and pulled a ring of keys from her pocket.

            “I had three chambers prepared for your use, two next to each other and one directly across the hall.  Is this acceptable?” Mrs. Banks questioned as she unlocked the first chamber to their right.

            “That would be lovely,” Sofie replied with a smile in the housekeeper’s direction, “I hope it was not too much trouble to make the rooms habitable for our use.”

            “It was no trouble a’tall miss.  It has been some time since we have had guests to the manor house since the season started,” Mrs. Banks said, pulling the chamber door open, “It is usually quiet here during Parliament’s month-long recess.”

            “Well we greatly appreciate the hospitality,” Justin stated, ensuring that Sofie was securely ensconced in the first room and the door shut firmly behind her, “Especially since we have arrived unannounced and unplanned.”

            “Well young Master Marcus was insistent upon ensuring your stay is comfortable.  And the lord and lady of the manor are equally as kind,” Mrs. Banks said with a large smile, “Now, which chamber would you prefer Mr. Bennington?”

            “Why don’t you take the room next to Sofie,” Justin said to Dexter, ignoring the strange look his friend sent him, “I will be fine across the hallway.”

            “Very well, follow me…”

*****

            Nicole tip-toed quietly up one of the back staircases and made her way quickly to her bedchambers.  Marcus was right in that she would do well not to allow their mother to catch her in breeches for she was very well likely to ensure Nicole was under lock and key for the remainder of their month-long stay at the country estate.  She breathed a sigh of relief once she was safely ensconced in her room, the door shut securely behind her.

            She walked towards her dressing room and gaped in horror as she caught sight of her reflection.  Her dark curls were a tangled mess, a few twigs and leaves twisted in the strands.  Her breeches were dusty, her white tunic covered in a fine film of sand from her tumble off the horse; a smudge of dirt covered her right cheek and she quickly wiped it clean.  In doing so, her shoulder began to ache reminding her that the fall she had sustained had not been without injury.

            Turning her back towards the full-length mirror, she craned her neck and gasped at the large spot of dried blood over her left shoulder.  She quickly pulled the tunic over her head and moved closer to her reflection to inspect the damage.  A long, shallow cut marred her shoulder blade; the injury did not appear to require any stitching but was painful nonetheless.  It was no wonder that the American shipping captain had reacted the way he had; she had been rather foolish in her actions.

            With a quick shake of her head at that irregular thought, she banished an image of those icy blue eyes, full of concern, from her mind.  She would do well to remain at odds with him as she found him altogether too handsome for her liking.  Quickly removing the rest of her riding clothes and undergarments, she slipped into her robe and range the bell for her maid, all thoughts of Justin Bennington fading from her mind.  She had every intention of soaking in a bath before she had to face the new guests over the dinner table.

            Her maid and a few other servants made quick work of preparing her bath and after dismissing them all as she preferred to bath herself, Nicole breathed a sigh of relief as she sank into the heated water.  She bit her lip as the water came into contact with her injured shoulder and with a quick intake of breath, she dipped further down into the steaming bath so that only her neck was visible.  Soon enough, the sting faded away and she let her head fall back against the towel that had been folded behind her neck.

            Leisurely she poured a few drops of scented lavender oil into the bath, inhaling deeply as her favorite scent invaded the bathing chamber.

            Nicole thought back to the conversation that she had with her mother prior to the escape on her horse and the excitement that had followed.  A frown marred her features as she remembered just how adamant her mother had been towards her accepting marriage to the Duke of Eversfeld.  The idea still had her temper flaring.

            She knew that if she were to find herself married to the man, she would likely never be allowed to race on her horse in breeches but would rather be confined to riding sidesaddle in a gown or in the confines of a carriage.  The summer nights that she snuck out of the house for a dip in the secluded pond near the edge of her parents’ property would be a thing of the past.  And her days were apt to be filled with gala after boring party after dull fete.  She sighed dejectedly.

            It was rather her own fault that she was now in this predicament, having been stubborn to refuse suitor after suitor who were far more tolerable matches than the duke.  But far be it for her to want to settle on a gentleman that did not stir her heartstrings or share her love for adventure.

            Blue eyes suddenly sprang, unbidden, to the forefront of her thoughts.  With an angry huff, Nicole again pushed away the vision of the handsome shipping merchant.  He was not the man to set her heart for, especially since he drew her anger like none other had managed to do.

            And she did not even like the man to boot!

            Nicole continued her bath, focusing on her choice of gowns to wear for what was sure to be an eventful and entertaining dinner with the new house guests.  She quickly finished rinsing the last of the grime off her body, stepped out of the bathing tub and began to towel dry.  A giggle caught her attention and after slipping back into her robe, she stood at the bathing room door, listening as she continued to towel her hair dry.

            Two of the maids were busy cleaning up her bedchamber, unaware of their eavesdropping mistress in the adjoining chamber.

            “Did you see the muscles in his arms?” a busty blonde maid questioned as she fluffed the pillows on the bed.

            “I was too busy staring at his eyes.  Have you ever seen such a clear blue?” her red-headed companion countered, a dreamy smile on her face.

            “As blue as the summer sky, don’t you think Abigail?” the blonde replied as she began to close the curtains against the fading light of day.

            “Or the ocean,” Abigail supplied as she lit a few lamps in the room, chasing away the dim light.

            “Did you notice he wears no wedding band?” her companion countered, then looked at her own hand thoughtfully, “Elaine Bennington…hmm, I do quite enjoy the sound of that.”  The two maids burst into a fit of giggles.

            “Did you see the way that he did not even notice Lady Nicole?” Abigail slyly questioned.

            “It must have been a shock for a lady so used to all the gentlemen falling at her feet to have one ignore her so completely,” Elaine added.

            Fall at her feet?  Since when did gentlemen fall at her feet?  And why on earth was she standing at the precipice of her own bedchambers, eavesdropping on the maids as if she had no right to be there?

            With a huff, Nicole dropped the towel she had been using to dry her hair, rang for her personal maid and sailed through the door into her bedchamber.  She pointedly looked at the maids, both who had jumped at the sudden bang the door had made in her hurry to make her presence known to them.  They had the grace to blush and quickly scurried from the bedroom.

            Their departure seemed to take all the fight out of her and with a sigh, Nicole sat at her dressing table and stared at her reflection.  Large hazel eyes stared back, lips turned down in a frown and dark hair a riot of untamed curls.  With a snort at the lackluster image , she rolled her eyes, knowing full well that men did not fall at her feet as the maids had claimed.

            Rather, they bolted away once her bold, impudent and adventurous personality was finally revealed.

            Annoyed at the direction her thoughts were taking, Nicole stood from her dressing table and wandered over to the armoire when her dresses were hung.  She began to flip through them, trying to discern if the frocks relayed the message that she was seeking attention.  Were the color selections too bold?  The cut of some of the bodices too low?

            “My lady, please, allow me to help you,” the gentle voice of Catherine, her maid stated as she quietly entered the room and closed the door quietly behind her, “Mayhap the green day dress?”

            “Maybe something less colorful?” Nicole suggested, avoiding the maid’s gaze.

            Catherine had been Lady Nicole’s personal maid ever since she had been out of the nursery so it was easy for her to tell when her mistress was not her usual self.  Her current mood was quite out of character for the vivacious, outgoing young lady she was used to arguing with over not sneaking out of the house in breeches or climbing down the trellis in the middle of the night to go for a swim.  She frowned.

            “Don’t you worry your pretty head Miss Nikki, I shall have you right as rain in no time,” Catherine replied as she began to pull clothing items and hair ribbons out and lay them neatly out on the bedspread.

            Nicole sat back down at her dressing table and allowed Catherine to work her magic, her mind, thankfully, a blissfully blank canvas.

* * * * * *

            Justin started at the knock that sounded upon his bedchamber door at precisely 6:15pm.  He quickly set down the book that he had been perusing and opened the door to find a servant announcing that dinner would be served in fifteen minutes.  He followed the servant, after they had collected both Dexter and Sofie and tried not to fidget as they made their way to the dining room to meet the rest of their hosts.

            Truth be told, he did not know what to expect from current Duke and his wife as they were likely not prepared to have houseguests.  His parents had provided him and Sofie with the best education as well as lessons in refinement, but he had very little exposure to the upper gentry of England and Sofie had none at all.  Though he would never admit it to the annoying Lady Nicole, he wanted to make a good impression upon her parents.

            He allowed his eyes to wander, trying not to be uneasy and worry overmuch about the situation he now found himself thrust into.

            The dining room was elegant, the walls lined with a beige wallpaper with small moss green leaves, the elaborate curtains of the same moss green framing the large bay window on the far wall.  A gleaming wooden buffet lined one wall while the opposite wall had a large fireplace framed by a mantle over which hung a large pastoral painting depicting a field of wildflowers.  The dining table, situated on a beige Persian rug, was the same gleaming wood as the buffet, the straight-backed chairs with moss green seat cushions enough to seat twelve.  The table was currently laid for dinner, servants hovering, waiting to assist the diners to their seats.

            The trio had been the first to arrive in the room.  Marcus Ashby, resplendent in a midnight blue frock coat, his white shirt pressed and cravat expertly tied, quickly joined them.  He immediately made his way over to the unexpected guests.

            “Are your rooms satisfactory?” the young man questioned as he approached, a friendly smile on his face.

            “They are absolutely beautiful,” Sofie responded, dipping into a shallow curtsey after Marcus took her hand and bowed over it in greeting.

            Justin felt Dexter stiffen at his side and sent a sidelong glance towards his friend; he caught the murderous glower on the shorter man’s face before it was quickly wiped clean into a blank expression.  He had to stifle a laugh at the reaction.  The feelings Dexter had for his sister were becoming more and more obvious and it was only a matter of time until Sofie caught on.

            Though his sister was now caught up in an animated discussion with Marcus Ashby and hadn’t sent a glance in Dexter’s direction since the Englishman had joined them.  Perhaps his sister’s heart was not as set on his friend as he initially suspected…

            Justin’s train of thought abruptly halted as he caught sight of Lady Nicole as she quietly entered the room.  He couldn’t help but stare at her.

            She had traded her well-worn breeches and tunic for an evening gown made of a pale mint green satin overlaid with white lace in an intricate pattern.  A ribbon of the same mint green lay underneath a low, scooped neck bodice and tied in the back.  The sleeves were elbow length and surprisingly, she had left her hands bare.  A small emerald hung on a delicate gold chain drawing his attention to her décolletage.

            Though the dress was in the height of fashion, the color well-suited for a yet-unmarried young gentlewoman, Justin couldn’t help but scowl, thinking that the gown needed more fabric.  It left very little to the imagination and he quickly tore his gaze from her, not wanting to be caught staring.  He noticed that Dexter was also aware of Lady Nicole’s entrance and watched in surprise as his friend quickly made his way over and held out his arm to lead her into the room.

            He rolled his eyes, focusing his attention back on his sister.  Only to find her staring after Dexter, a lost look on her face; Marcus Ashby was across the room conversing with the butler.  And though Dexter led Lady Nicole over to where he stood, he noticed his friend glancing in his sister’s direction.  This was bound to be an eventful evening if nothing else.

            Especially since Lady Nicole now stood directly in front of him, her inquisitive hazel eyes staring up at him.  The manners that had been drilled into him since he was a lad forced him to hold out his hand to her and she hesitantly placed her own hand in his grasp.  He bowed stiffly over her hand while she graced him with the barest curtsey before quickly extracting herself from his grip.

            “That is a beautiful gown,” Justin quietly stated, searching for a safe, mundane topic while he watched Dexter approach his sister.

            “Thank you,” Nicole demurely responded, staring somewhere beyond his left shoulder, her hands now clasped in front of her.

            “Do you enjoy the countryside?” he further questioned, noticing the frosty look in his sister’s eyes as Dexter held out his hand to her.

            “It is rather agreeable,” Nicole stated, now studying the floor.

            Justin brought his attention back to the young woman in front of him, suddenly aware that the feisty tigress who had pricked his temper earlier was nowhere in sight.  He took a step closer and he watched as her eyes quickly darted to his face, widening just the slightest.  A slight flush crept up her cheeks and he noticed that her breath seemed to quicken.

            Before he could say anything, the butler announced the entrance of the Duke and Duchess of Halifax and as Justin turned his attention to the newcomers, Lady Nicole quickly put some distance between them.

            The duke and duchess were a handsome couple.  The duchess was resplendent in a navy gown that matched the color of her eyes, her dark brown hair swept up in a classic updo.  Her husband, the duke was neatly dressed in evening wear, his hand resting protectively at the small of his wife’s back.  Justin was surprised at the open display of affection that typically was rarely shown by the upper crust of the ton.

            Introductions were quickly completed and everyone seated at the table.  Small talk was made while dinner was served, the servants moving quietly about to remove dishes as they were finished and refill glasses as they were emptied.  Justin found himself seated across from Lady Nicole and was therefore aware of how quiet she continued to be during the meal, her participation in the conversation almost nonexistent.  He still found it strange considering their previous encounter where the lady could not keep any of her opinions to herself.

            “So tell me Mr. Bennington, do you and your sister plan on attending any of the ton events while you are visiting our lovely country?” the duchess questioned, interrupting his thoughts about her daughter.

            “Our plans are not yet completely determined,” Justin responded after taking a sip of his wine to wash down the last few bites of dessert.

            “Well I believe that we will be having a celebratory ball once the season resumes,” Jennifer Ashby continued, ignoring the glare that her daughter suddenly sent in her direction, “Perhaps you would care to attend?”

            “That sounds lovely,” Sofie spoke up from her place next to Justin.

            “Indeed.  We are expecting to make a wonderful announcement during the fete,” the duchess continued.

            “Jennifer,” the duke suddenly piped up, noting the unhappy expression on his daughter’s face.

            “Oh hush Daniel, can a mother not be excited at the engagement of her only daughter?” the duchess continued.

            “Mother!!!” Nicole suddenly cried, her hazel eyes emitting fire.  It was the first sign of temper that Justin had seen her show since their initial encounter after her fall from the horse.

            “Oh do calm down dear,” Jennifer responded, her blue eyes suddenly frosty, “Once the season resumes, the announcement will be made at the ball we intend to throw in honor of your engagement to the Duke of Eversfeld.”

            “I told you before mother, that I will not be marrying the man and that is final,” Nicole ground out, her voice starting to rise with every word she said.

            And with that bold announcement, she abruptly stood up from the table and stormed from the room, leaving the rest of the room’s occupants stunned into silence.  Justin, however, wanted to smile.  The little kitten had unsheathed her claws yet again and he could not help but silently applaud her for standing up for herself.

            It was apparent that there was much more to one Lady Nicole Ashby than he initially thought.  This was likely going to prove to be even more of an adventure than he had initially bargained for as long as she was around.


Incomplete
ComplicateMe is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Scandalous Hearts also liked 332 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin alternateuniverse