Story Notes:
Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at long fic so I hope you all enjoy it. It's still a work in progress, but it's an idea that's been stuck in my head for a few months that I finally got the nerve to type out. This story is also very close to me because it's loosely based off of my life, but I hope I made it relatable to everyone who reads it.

Despite that, this is fiction, I don't know Justin or any of his dancers personally, so please don't send me any hate mail simply because of my crazy imagination (haha).

Before I start, I want to say a BIG thank you to Courtney for pushing and supporting me throughout all of this; Mere for her inspiration, and Jenn for cleaning up after my dirty work. Oh and positive and constructive criticism is always welcomed. Enjoy!
August 6th, Memphis International Airport

“Thank you for flying on Northwest Airlines, see you next trip!”

I give the stewardess a close-lipped smile as I make my way off the aircraft. I turn on my cell phone as I walk by various eateries, souvenir, and magazine shops, my stomach growling instantly. It’s 9:30 in the morning Memphis time and I figure I should make a stop before I pass out since I haven’t eaten anything since last night. Yeah, I could have afforded to grab something from LAX, but I was trying to get out of L.A. faster than a bat out of hell.

Even though she volunteered to give me a ride to the airport, I was the bat and my mom was that hell. Between her nagging me for miniscule things like I’m her husband, and my short temper, we both felt that this vacation was truly needed. I know that she’s still upset about me deciding to take a leave of absence so early in my college career, but after 12 years at a academically vigorous private school, it was no surprise that little brain cells I had left didn’t last long. So since we can’t agree to disagree about my future, she’s sending me to the one person that can “talk some sense into me””her words. I’m surprised that I don’t have 124832923597592334314 voicemails from her seeing if I had gotten here safely. I guess I should call.

“Hello,” a groggy voice greets me.

“I just landed mom.”

“Well hello to you too child of mine.”

I roll my eyes. “I was just calling to let you know that I got here safely, okay?”

“Did you call Ava yet?” It was only a matter of time before she brought up her “golden” child.

“No, I haven’t. She’s probably still asleep.”

“Well how is she supposed to know that you’re there? Are you just going venture around Memphis not knowing where the hell you’re going?” She exclaims. See why I left?

“I’ll call her as soon as I hang up with you mom,” I reply while trying to keep my temper in check.

“Go on ahead and do that. Just call me when you meet up with her. And Selah?” She stops to sigh.

“Yeah ma?”

“I’m glad you made it there okay.”

I wait a few breaths before replying. “Bye mom.”

I hang up my cell and make my way into Starbucks. Ordering a Grande Carmel Macchiato and a slice of Lemon Loaf, I sit down and make that call to Ava”my older sister. Remember me calling Ava the “golden” child? Well it wasn’t always that way; in fact it didn’t start being that way until I told mom that I wasn’t going back U. C. Berkeley.

Before it was always, “You gotta do well in school or else you’ll end up like your sister” or “Think before you act, otherwise you’ll end up like that sister of yours.” That was before Ava started making money and starting touring with the big names like she is now. Now I’m the black sheep of the family since Ava’s “empty” dreams of becoming a professional dancer have finally paid off. But I blame that on my mother, not my sister, who has been nothing but supportive since I made my decision.

Ava was the first person I broke the news to and while I noted the disappointment in her voice, when she told me that she understood and had my back, I believed her. I was one of the few people who believed in her pipe dream of making it out of the streets of L.A. in order dance and travel around the world.

“Can’t you see it ‘La? Me dancing alongside J. Lo, Janet…Justin…” she would giggle like a schoolgirl. I would giggle right along with her hoping that one day, I would get to see my sister’s dream come true.

It feels like forever before she finally picks up.

“This better be good.”

“Get ya ass up and come pick me up from the airport,” I reply with laughter in my voice.

“ ‘La? You’re here? What time is it?”

“Time for you to come pick up your baby sis…or at least send a limo for me.”

“Girl please, I may be dancing for Mr. SexyBack, but don’t start thinking that I got it like that,” she laughs.

“Well damn, I guess I’ll be hailing then cab, huh? What hotel are you at?”

“The Marriott downtown, room 231.”

“Alright blood, I’ll see you in a bit.”

“I thought you just left L.A.,” she chuckles.

“Girl, don’t have me rolling up in there throwing up my set.”

I hear her laugh heartily at my attempt to be a thug. “Just hurry up and get here okay?”

“See you in a flash!”

“Bye ‘La.”

My drink is ready for me to pick up at the counter as soon as I end my call and I begin to head toward baggage claim. I smile at the thought of getting to see my sister, especially while she’s in her element. Who would have thought that by 7:30 tonight, she would be kicking off the second leg of a tour by dancing alongside one of the artists we used to talk about before we went to sleep at night. For the last seven months, my sister has been a dancer for Justin Timberlake on his FutureSex/LoveShow tour.

Looks like I lived to see the day after all.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love tourj soloj justin dancer college