Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone, here is the next chapter. I hope you all enjoy it and thanks again for the love, reviews and all that jazz. *Muah*
September 28th; Millennium Dance Studio, 11:26 a.m.

It’s been three days; three days since our last show, three days since he asked for my phone number…and three days since he almost sent me and the rest of the females in ARCO arena into cardiac arrest. Now many would think that I had already experienced and savored the beauty of Justin’s body back in Las Vegas, but it was dark remember? Plus, I wasn’t giving a damn about him being half naked when he was giving me my fourth orgasm in two days. But when he decided to whip his t-shirt off at the end of the concert on Sunday, I think my brain short-circuited…until I felt Nick tap me on my shoulder. Lord I hope that he didn’t catch me drooling over Justin like a damn dog, but he hasn’t brought it up so maybe he didn’t see anything. It was a clear mistake on my part; I mean I shouldn’t have been staring at my friend like that especially with Nick around. I would just appreciate it if sex wasn’t running through my mind all throughout the day…and if Justin kept his clothes on from now on.

“Upgrade U” by Beyoncé blares through the studio speakers as I watch my sister go over the routine she created for the dance workshop she and the other girls are having once we get to Australia. I finally made my decision and told my sister that I’m going with them. Now let’s just hope that Justin wants me to come along as well. The routine is clean, precise, and still has that bit of flair in typical Ava fashion as she goes through the steps as if it were natural. I smile watching her before she hits the stop button and the music cuts off.

“That looks hot sis,” I say as she makes her way over to me.

“Yeah? I’m still working through the kinks, but I think I have it just about where I want it. You should go over it with me after I take a breather.”

“I don’t know a lot of it, but I’ll try.”

“You’re a fast learner, you’ll pick it up,” she says before taking a sip of her Powerade.

“So what are we up to after this?”

“Well I think after we all go back home and freshen up, we were going to go grab some lunch. Why, do you have plans with your honey or something?” She giggles in reference to Nick.

“We might do dinner and a movie, but we haven’t decided yet so he told me to just call him.”

“Awww, look at my sister about to go on her first date; ya’ll so cute.”

I chuckle, “Yeah, now you think so. Remember when he and I first met and you slammed the door in his face?”

“That’s because he was trying to get fresh and didn’t even know who the hell you were. But deep down, I knew that Nick was a good guy with a good heart. Even in this short amount of time, I can tell that he really likes you ‘La. You given any more thought to his offer?”

“Yeah…I have actually,” I say with a shy smile. “In fact I think while we’re in Australia, I’m going…to say yes.”

“Really?”

I nod affirmatively. “I know I haven’t really been dealt the best hand in relationships or in love in general, but I’m willing to take a gamble on this one.”

My sister gives me a cheeky smile before placing a kiss on my forehead. “Well you know if you’re happy then I’m happy, so go on and get your man girl.”

“Thanks A.” Suddenly my cell starts to ring and I check the ID, only to see a number that I don’t recognize, but with a California area code.

“Someone you don’t know?” Ava inquires.

“Yeah, but I’m going to answer it anyway, I’ll be right back,” I reply before getting up and walking out into the lobby.

“Hello?” I answer evilly with some confusion.

“Do you always answer your phone with that much attitude?” The person on the line asks me.

“I answer it however the hell I want to when I don’t know who it is that’s calling. Now who the hell is this?”

“Dang friend, I was just calling to see what was up with you but noooooo, you had to get all mad black woman on me…”

I start to crack up once I realize who it is. “Justin? Is that you?”

“The one and only. What are you up to on this fine Friday morning?”

I giggle, “I’m actually at Millennium with the girls right now going over some choreography. What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be buried in the sheets of your bed right now and catching up on some sleep?”

“You know ‘sleep’ isn’t even a word in my vocabulary, besides how can I afford to sleep when I want to hang out with you?”

I raise an eyebrow on that part, “Hang out…with me? Justin, where’s your girlfriend? Why you can’t hang with her or any of your other friends?”

He sighs, “Well damn, I didn’t know that the thought of hanging out with me was that awful,” he retorts harshly. Great, in just a matter of seconds our conversation has gone from pleasant to downright shitty.

“Justin,” I sigh, “You know I didn’t mean it like that and…I’m sorry alright?”

“Selah, I’m trying here, really trying and I know that this friendship shit is new to us based off of what happened before. But what’s the point if you’re not going to open up to me? Trust me even? Look, I just wanted to get something to eat and have some nice conversation, that’s all.”

I’m quiet for a moment as I think about what he just said. I guess he has a point, I mean we are trying to start over and get to know each other better. Despite my qualms, the least I could do is meet him halfway.

“Pick me up at 301 North Applewood Lane, apartment number twelve. I’ll be ready at one, okay?”

Even though I can’t see him, I can tell that he’s smiling. “Okay, I’ll see you then.”

“Hey…” I say quietly.

“Yeah?”

I sigh before I speak. “I know you’re trying…I’m trying too, okay?”

“Okay.”
***************************************************************************
Downtown Manhattan Beach, California, 1:45 p.m.

There were a few things I didn’t expect when Justin came to pick me up for lunch. For example, I didn’t expect him to pick me up in his monster truck of an SUV nor did I expect the hug he gave me when I answered the door. I didn’t expect the plethora of compliments on how nice I looked in my sundress and when he asked me where I wanted to go eat, and I told him I didn’t care as long as it wasn’t somewhere bourgeois, I didn’t expect him to drive all the way here. But here we are, strolling in comfortable silence…and I didn’t expect that I would have to try so hard to fight the smile that’s on my face right now.

“What you cheesin’ for?” He turns his head to face me while interrupting my thoughts.

“Nothing, it’s just…are you going to be okay out here with all these people and no protection? I mean this is nice and all, but I’m not trying to be on the cover of Star tomorrow morning.”

He laughs lightly, “What? You don’t want to be known as ‘Justin’s new leading lady’ or ‘Secret love’?”

“At the rate we were going, those tabloids might have actually gotten something right,” I chuckle.

“Yeah…but at the rate that one of us is going at now, who knows if we’ll ever be anything.”

“Oh is that supposed to be a stab at me?” I raise an eyebrow at him. “You begged me to spend time with you and here I am and now you want to act like I’m not making an effort? Okay Timberlake, I got you,” I smirk while walking ahead of him.

“Awww come’re girl,” he says jogging to catch up with me. “You know I’m just messing with you.” He grabs my hand and encloses it with his and my heart starts to race from the contact. I look down at our joined hands and take a moment to revel in the feel of his strong, beautiful, hand holding onto mine before my browns meet his blues. Is it bad that a little part of me doesn’t want to let go? But as we look back down and share a nervous laugh, I think it’s best that I let that thought and his hand go.

“So…what are you in the mood for?” He asks as we continue walking and a variety of eateries come into view.

“You know, to be honest I’m really in the mood for some ice cream.”

“Really? You sure you don’t want any actual food?”

“Yeah…besides we could take our ice cream and eat it on the beach, what do you say?”

He smiles, “I’d say that sounds perfect.”
*****************************************************************************
Damn Cold Stone is so good, bad for my health, but too delicious for me to even care. Finding a fairly hidden spot on the sand, Justin and I watch the waves crash against the shore as we devour our cool treats. I shake my head as I look over at his Like It sized cup of “Berry Berry Berry Good,” comparing it to my Love It sized cup of “Strawberry Banana Rendezvous”.

“You know, you’re making me feel fat,” I say, interrupting our silence.

He chuckles while raising an eyebrow at me, “What?”

“You would have to get the smallest size of probably the healthiest signature creation that they have on the menu.”

“Well I’ll be honest, I’m not that big on sweets but I like to indulge every now and then.”

“Awww, well if you didn’t want ice cream we could have went somewhere else. Lord knows I shouldn’t be eating this my damn self,” I laugh lightly.

“We’re indulging for the day. That just means tomorrow we'll do fifteen minutes of cardio, followed by an intense abs, thighs, and buns workout,” he says, mocking a woman’s voice while I burst out into the giggles.

“So Ms. Bernstine, tell me about yourself; tell me some things about you that I don’t know.”

“Well…I’m Selah. I’m a Pisces, I like long walks on the beach, Saturdays, combination pizza…”

He laughs at my silly introduction, “Come on, be serious.”

“Alright, I’m 19, born and raised in Inglewood. Despite that, my mother spent the amount of what a typical car would cost on my private school education from first through twelfth grade. Even though I wanted to get as far away from California as possible, I ended up at UC Berkeley after being rejected from my dream school”"

“And where was that?”

“Vanderbilt,” I smile shyly.

“Aha, so no wonder why you like Tennessee boys…” He says with a grin.

“Please, I like the city of Nashville thank you very much. I mean I wasn’t there for long, but it looked like so much fun and the people were so nice…sometimes I think that I was born in the wrong place.”

“Well Tennessee is a great place, not that I’m biased or anything,” he jokes. “There’s nothing wrong with wanting to leave your home, but you have to remember that’s just what it is, home. And you know, maybe you were rejected from those schools but placed at UC Berkeley for a reason…just like you were put on this tour for a reason.”

“Yeah, you’ve got a point. Just with a lot of things that I’ve gone through in my life, I always try to put it in that perspective because things can always be a lot worse ya know?”

“Yeah,” he nods affirmatively. “Care to share one of those things that you’ve gone through?”

“The last four years have been turbulent enough,” I laugh hollowly while looking back out at the ocean. “My freshman year started out with my aunt dying. Ava and I are real close to our uncle, our mom’s brother, so our aunt was like a second mother to us. I didn’t even have time to digest it before they told me she was gone…some days I still don’t think I have. But you know what the funny thing is? Our grandmother died a year after that and I don’t break down nearly as often over her.”

“What did they die from, if you don’t mind me asking” Justin asks me quietly.

“My aunt died of a stroke and my grandmother died from pancreatic cancer. Quick deaths so they didn’t suffer long.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault…it’s not your fault that I got sick after that too,” I say before turning back to look at him.

His eyes hold a sense of fear and astonishment at that statement. “What do you mean you were sick?”

“Honestly Justin, it’s a miracle that I can walk let alone dance. When my mom starting asking me if I was eating, I thought she was going insane. But in reality, she was just starting to notice how small I was getting. And then I couldn’t get off of the couch, do my hair, or tie my shoes without help. I remember one day I was coming home from school and I had my backpack on, my laptop case on my shoulder, and my geometry book in my hands. I was a block away, but I was in so much pain that I couldn’t even walk up the stairs to get into my house so I had to call my mom and ask her to come outside and help me.”

“So then what happened?”

“Well after being a pincushion for the lab at the clinic and seeing I don’t know how many doctors, I was told that I have Myositis. I guess my immune system was so overactive that instead of attacking the bad stuff, it started attacking my muscles. I was a hot mess Justin,” I chuckle a little bit. “I had never been that skinny in my entire life and it looked so bad on me. Then I had to be put on these different medications and treatments, one of which gave me these chipmunk cheeks…” I pause and point with a small grin.

“Which are real cute by the way,” he says before grinning back. Thank God I’m a chocolate girl because if I weren’t, my face would be cherry red right now.

“Thanks…they’re actually a lot smaller than they used to be, hell my whole face for that matter. Being sick had it’s perks though, like I got to roll around campus in golf cart my entire junior year.”

He chuckles, “Yeah? That’s cool, I bet your friends were bumming rides off of you huh?”

“Yeah they were, just lazy as hell and didn’t want to walk,” I say before laughing.

It’s quiet between us for a few minutes before Justin speaks again. “This may sound a bit weird, but thanks for sharing all of that with me because I know it wasn’t easy.”

I smile before looking into his gorgeous blue orbs, “Remember what I said when we were on the phone earlier?”

He smiles this time, “Yeah…I do.”

And believe me when I say that I meant every word.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love tourj soloj justin dancer college