Chapter 4: Welcome to the Land of Talent

Joshua “JC” Chasez stepped out of his car and smiled up at the studio that held the set where The Mickey Mouse Club was taped. The seventeen-year-old could easily call The Mickey Mouse Club his home. It was where he first met others that held his same passion for singing, dancing and, for some, acting. It was where he first got really good friends that he knew he could trust and didn’t want to be friends with him because he was famous. It was the place where he felt really happy, deliriously happy, for the first time in years.

JC couldn’t believe that he’s been on the show for two years; it still felt like a dream to him. He could remember every little detail of the day he found out he was selected to be part of the Mickey Mouse Club. It was about a week after his audition. He was back home in Bowie, Maryland when his mother, Karen, got the phone call. He was watching TV with his brother, Tyler, and his sister, Heather, when she walked in and gave him the good news. Once the news sunk in he jumped out of his seat, ran out the front door, and ran up and down the street yelling “I’m going to Disney World!” He didn’t stop until his father, Roy, came home at least fifteen minutes later.

He took in a breath through his nose, the smell of the area rushing back to him. He closed the door behind him and locked it, hooking his backpack over his shoulder, his ID swinging around his neck as he walked towards the building. He was halfway across the parking lot when he heard someone shouting his name.

“JC! Hey man!” JC turned and grinned. Tony Lucca, one of his best friends, was running in his direction, his backpack slapping against his back as he ran across the parking lot. Once Tony was close enough to his friend he slowed to a walk and held out his hand. “Long time no see!”

“I know, man,” JC replied, slapping his friend’s hand before pulling him into a hug. “Summer’s been pretty hectic but I’m ready for the new season.”

“Did you hear? Everything’s getting revamped and we’re getting some new kids on cast,” Tony said as the two walked towards the side door.

JC was the least bit surprised. Since he started on the show its appearance has changed slightly with each season. He also knew it would only be a matter of time until they brought new kids on set. He was excited to work with a new batch of talent but at the same time he didn’t want any new kids around. I mean, they were doing fine all by themselves. He shrugged it off, knowing it was all a part of the show and that they should get used to it.

“Tony! JC!”

“Hey Rhona!”

As soon as they set foot into familiar territory the older teens easily fell into pace with the others. They collected in groups in the office of the MMC producers, talking and laughing, telling each other about their summer experiences and how excited they were for the new season.

“Have any of you heard about any of the new kids?” Dale asked, tossing a ball into the air and catching it as it came back down.

“No, but I heard an audition tape for one girl,” Jennifer McGill replied. “I think her name was Christi or something? Anyway, she has an amazingly strong voice. I think she’s only twelve? Maybe thirteen. Anyway, like I said, her voice is so good. It doesn’t surprise me that they brought her in.”

“How’d you hear about her?” JC questioned.

“I passed by some offices on my way here and heard the staff talking about some new talent and they played some audition tapes.”

JC nodded and swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. It was no surprise that the staff on the MMC set would pick only best of the best, what was good for the show but a hindrance for everyone else. With new talent, that meant that the staff would want to put the new kids in more sketches, showcasing their talent, while the older kids would be pushed into the background.

“Relax man, you know the staff is fair about who they pick,” Tony said, nudging JC’s arm as if he could read his friend’s mind.

JC nodded. All of their heads turned towards the door when Matt Casella, the MMC casting director, came into the room with a large smile on his face. He was greeted with “hey” or “what’s up, Matt?” by the cast.

“Welcome back, everyone. I hope you had a great break,” Mr. Casella addressed the group.

“Matt, just do us all a favor and tell us the reason you came here, man,” Dale said with a chuckle. “Don’t beat around the bush.”

“Yeah man. You take days to get to the point,” Tony agreed, smiling. “We all ready know why you gathered us here.”

Matt Casella laughed but got to the point. “As you all know we’re going to start a new season of MMC and that means we need new talent. That means–”

“We’re going to have a bunch of little people swarming the place!?” Dale interrupted. Automatically groans and whines were heard from the rest of the cast as Matt Casella looked at them all. He waited patiently for them to quiet down before continuing.

“Now you all know what it was like being new on the show,” Matt Casella said once they were quiet and gave them his undivided attention. “You all know how scary it can be for the new kids. They’re going to look up to you and I want you guys to be there for them and be eager to help them out if they have any questions. Actually, a few of us have gotten together and we came up with the idea of having a…social gathering so to speak in one of the large conference rooms. Music, food, everything will be provided, you just have to show up with a positive attitude. Also we’ll give you guys your schedule for the first few days of shooting.” He looked at his watch. “That’s all I really wanted to say. You guys can hang around here or go home and come back later if you want. Just stay out of trouble.”

They all jumped up and headed out the doors. While some opted to go back to their temporary homes (apartments) others decided to stay around the set to see what they have changed. JC, Tony, and Dale immediately went to the front part of the stage and were floored.

“Wow. When they said they were going to change some things they meant it,” Tony muttered, peering hard through his glasses.

“It’s like a modern, kidized SNL, I’m down with it,” JC said as he scratched the back of his neck. “I felt weird with the way it was before. Not that I hated it but…”

“It was childish, I know what you mean, man,” Dale agreed. He paused and let out a sigh. “What do you think the new kids are going to be like?”

“Annoying,” Tony replied with a shrug. “They always bring in a new crop of little ones. They’re questions are so annoying.”

“Don’t forget you were one of them,” JC pointed out.

“Hey, I wasn’t that young when I first came. Remember, that was only two years ago, unless you’ve conveniently forgot.”

“No I didn’t, back then I was in my prime. I had girls fawning all over me,” JC said with a grin.

“You still do man. I saw a line of chicks waiting outside to meet you,” Dale said lightly punching him on the shoulder.

“Yeah, but they just want to meet JC the actor, they don’t want to meet the real me. That’s what I want in a girl, someone who looks over the fact that I’m on a popular TV show,” JC said as he kicked the ground and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Don’t they have to at least look good too?” Tony asked with a teasing grin.

“Oh yeah, she has to be able to take my breath away in one look,” JC said with a grin, turning his head in the direction of the door that suddenly open. It felt like he had just gotten hit in the gut when the girl walked through the door. She glanced in their direction, smiled a bit, and followed Matt Casellas.

“Like that?” Dale asked.

“Yes, like that,” JC breathed.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: bestfriendj mmcera shelbyforest presync prequel originalcharacter