JC’s entrance had been a welcome interruption.  Whitney had wanted nothing more to do with the direction Bianca had taken their conversation. 

“Just girl talk,” Bianca grinned at him, turning away from Whitney.  “Are we still on for dinner tonight?”

He nodded, “Picking you up at 7.” 

Whitney slipped her purse over her shoulder and stood up from her seat.  “I’m going to head out - hope you both have a nice evening.” 

“Wait, Whitney,” he said.  She turned to face him as he cleared his throat and motioned towards Bianca.  “Why don’t you come to dinner with us?”  She could feel Bianca’s glare burning into her. 

“Oh,” she put up her hand in defense.  “No.  I couldn’t impose.” 

“You wouldn’t be imposing,” he said, shaking his head.  He was completely oblivious to Bianca’s scowl.  “It’s somewhere really low key.” 

Whitney really just wanted to say no and go home.  Dinner with this couple meant frustration on over-time.  But, his offer made her sense that he was nervous about having dinner alone with Bianca and wanted the company so she forced a smile.

“Okay, sure.” 

Bianca smiled, “Why don’t we call Mark?  Let’s make it a group date.” 

**

Whitney headed to the door, responding to the loud knock on it.  She opened the door and saw Mark leaning against the doorway with his aviator sunglasses still in place.  “So, this is where my girlfriend lives.”

She smiled nervously, “Oh, the g-word.  Bet you aren’t used to using that.”

He chuckled, “And my girlfriend has a sense of humor.  What else is she harboring?”  He came in and looked around the apartment.  “Nice digs.  Can I see the bedroom?”

She rolled her eyes, “Nice try.”

“It was worth a shot.  I know you’re a classy girl, dinner first.”  He headed out the front door and she followed, locking it behind her.

“Thanks for the reassurance,” she laughed as she headed after him out to his car.  He opened the door for her and then went around to his side.

“I think we are already winning the better-fake-couple competition,” he smiled. 

She frowned, “I didn’t know it was a competition.”

He took his eyes off the road to look over at her for a moment.  “Wow, are we having our first fight?  This is a huge step for us.  You know what comes after fighting, right?  Making up.”

She smiled, “You are ridiculous.  You know that, right?”

He grinned widely as he turned his attention back on the road, “Proud of it.”

**

As Mark pulled up to the restaurant he groaned, “What the fuck?”  Paparazzi were swarming outside.  Whitney shifted uncomfortably in her car seat.  “Stay in the car and I’ll escort you, okay?”  She nodded and he opened his door, handing the keys to the valet.  He made his way through the camera flashes around the car to open her door.  He held his hand out for her and she squeezed it tightly as she stood up out of the car.  The paparazzi moved in tighter and yelled out to Mark to entice a response.  He managed to ignore them, as he pulled Whitney firmly to his side and made it through the entrance of the restaurant.  They saw Bianca and JC at a table towards the back and made their way over.  She had her hand wrapped around his bicep as she whispered into his ear. 

JC looked up, “Hey guys.”  His eyes took in Whitney hand, still nervously holding on to Mark’s. 

“What’s with the crap-arazzi?” Mark asked, rolling his eyes as he let go of Whitney’s hand to pull out her chair for her.  She sat down and he sat down beside her. 

JC scratched his head, “Not sure.  They were here before we even arrived.”

“The sea bass is excellent here,” Bianca said, looking up from her menu.  Mark gave her a curious glance before turning his attention to his menu. 

**

Dinner had been awkward with clear tension in the air.  Mark had tried to save conversation by sharing lively stories from his week on-set. 

“Did you want to see the dessert menu?” the waiter asked. 

“I think we’re all set,” JC said, looking around the table.  “Just the check, thanks.”

Bianca leaned into him and whispered, “We could have dessert later.”

Mark squeezed Whitney’s thigh under the table in response.  While the dinner had been painful, she was enjoying the camaraderie that was forming between them over their mutual disdain for Bianca.  They all stood up from the table and shared goodbyes before fighting through the swarming crowd of paparazzi one more  time before making it safely to their cars. 

**

Mark pulled into Whitney’s apartment complex.  “I had fun tonight.  You’re the best fake date I’ve ever had.”

She smiled, “Thanks, Mark.”

He looked at her with a serious expression.  “Do you think they like each other?”

She looked at him, “What do you mean?”

“Bianca has always wanted to sink her teeth into him.  That doesn’t surprise me.  But, JC never went for her.  Not until now.”

She shook her head, “I guess I don’t really know what’s going on with them.”

He sighed, “I don’t really trust her.  JC’s a really nice guy and she’ll take total advantage of him with her crap.”  She sat silently in agreement.  “Do me a favor and keep your eye on her.”

**

Whitney arrived at JC’s house, his coffee in her hand per their usual morning routine.  She knocked as she opened his door and made her way through the kitchen and into the living room.  No sign of him.  She moved curiously through the foyer into the study and still saw no sign of JC.  She headed back towards the kitchen.  “Hello?” she called out.  She heard voices coming from outside and curiously headed out to the patio.  She looked out at the pool and sucked in a breath at the sight of JC and Bianca.  They were lounging together on the large cushioned outdoor sofa.  Bianca appeared to be simply wearing her bra and underwear and JC seemed smitten.  Whitney clumsily backed up at the realization that Bianca had spent the night, knocking into one of the porch chairs. 

JC turned suddenly at the noise.  “Oh, hey Whitney,” he waved at her. 

She stood frozen in place.  “H-h-hiiii,” she stammered and dropped his coffee, which spilled all over the porch.    

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited love assistant jealous triangles drunksex lyrics otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync originalcharacter vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi