JC looked around the room helplessly, drumming his fingers on the armrest of the bed.  Being stuck in the hospital bed had turned into full on cabin-fever.  He eyed the table across the room from him, filled with flower arrangements and cards.  What he would give for just one visitor to come by and distract him.  There was nothing on television worth tuning into and he was too restless to focus on reading a book.

“Susan,” he smiled weakly as one of the nurses stepped into his room, starting her rounds.  She walked in and surveyed the situation, making sure he was doing alright. 

“Hello Mr. Chasez.  How are you feeling this evening?” she asked, adjusting the back of his bed so that he was sitting in a more upright position.  She brought in his dinner off of a cart and placed it on the side table beside him.

“I would be doing so much better if I could have anything else to eat.  Anything solid?  Please.  I’ll settle for pasta or salad – anything other than what I have been eating every day since I’ve been here,” he begged, looking at the tray of juices and soup. 

“You know the rules, sir.  The doctor says you should stay on a liquid diet until further notice.  What if I bring you a magazine to distract you?” she offered as a compromise. 

He nodded and she returned from the nurse’s station with the latest edition of People Magazine. 

“Have a nice evening Mr. Chasez.  Call if you need anything,” she said, leaving the room. 

He pushed away his dinner and started to flip through the magazine.  It was mostly nonsense about celebrity couples and celebrity babies and celebrity vacation spots.  He was starting to lose interest, when he saw an article about himself.  His instinct was to throw the magazine across the room, but against his better judgment he kept reading.  

Television personality and former popstar, JC Chasez, collapsed while working in recording studio.  Sources close to the star note that they saw recent behavioral changes in him and suspect that this may have been linked to depression.  At this time, no ties to alcohol or drug abuse have been confirmed. Since the collapse, Chasez has been hospitalized to receive treatment.  His publicist had this to say.  “JC was found to be suffering from overexhaustion, dehydration and severe emotional and physical stress.  While JC has always lived a healthy lifestyle, we believe it was his strong work ethic and dedication to his latest projects that led to this sudden physical reaction.  He will be taking some time for himself.”   Chasez was not available for comment.    

 

How humiliating.  The picture of him unconscious being taken away in an ambulance by stretcher was probably the worst part of the whole article.  He put the magazine down on the table and stared at his dinner.  He had lost his appetite.  He rolled his eyes as he turned the television on.  E! News was on.  “More garbage,” he sighed, getting ready to change the channel.  Before he did he saw a summer concert series segment.  JC always wanted to be up on music, especially with his different pursuits in songwriting and collaborations.  He focused in as he noted information on the Lady A tour with Tim McGraw.  The members of Lady A were being interviewed about their tour and future music plan when JC’s manager walked in and interrupted.

Eric turned the television off with excitement. 

“Hey, I was watching that!” JC said, irritated.

“I need you to focus on me!”  Eric said, crossing his arms.  “Guess what?  I found the best personal assistant money can buy.  We’re just waiting on confirmation and then she’ll be ready to start as soon as you’re out of here.”  He looked at JC, expecting a reaction of excitement.

JC narrowed his eyes, “Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You just offered someone the position without even allowing me to interview her?  What are her qualifications?  What is her background?  I refuse to just allow you to make a hiring decision like this without allowing me to meet with her first.”

“She is the best in the business.  See for yourself,” he said, handing JC a large file.  “She has worked for several celebrities as a personal assistant, also dabbling in public relations, marketing, staff management. Her specialization is really musicians.  Right now she is even doubling as a tour manager.  She can do everything and then some.  It’s really perfect.  But go ahead, go through her resume.  Check her out.  Google her if you want.  You will not be disappointed.”  Eric smiled, knowing he had won this battle.

JC sighed and then nodded.  “Alright, Eric, you win.  This sounds okay.  But I am still going to comb through this file and if I’m not taken with her when we meet the deal is off.”

**

Charles stood up, zipping his fly back up and tightening his belt as she leaned back on the sofa, staring off into space.

“Are you going to watch the show tonight?” he asked her.  She snapped back to reality.

“I’ll watch from the soundboard for a bit if I can make time,” she said casually, playing hard to get.

“You should make sure you’re watchin’ durin’ the encore,” he said with a wink.  He slid his wedding band back on his finger.  With that he unlocked the bus door and slipped away. 

Whitney slowly stood back up, looking at herself in the mirror.  “Damn,” she yelled as she slammed her fist down on the table in front of her.  She could not believe that she had just done it again.  Charlie was the perfect guy.  He was charismatic, intelligent, sensitive, not to mention gorgeous.  But he was not hers.  She had lusted for him for quite some time and last week he had finally admitted he had real feelings for her.  They both got caught up in the moment, but it didn’t change the fact that Charlie was still married.  After they had hooked up, she immediately panicked and had seriously considered leaving.  She had called her own manager, Brad, to look for another assistant job for her as a way out.  Charlie just made her lose all of her inhibitions.  She lost all control around him and she couldn’t bear to put herself in such a compromised position anymore.    This was her breaking point and it was time to find a fresh start. 

She looked over at her phone and realized she had a new voicemail.  It was Brad. 

“Whitney – found a new position that I think will work out just perfectly.  JC Chasez is in desperate need of a personal assistant.  You have probably seen the whole hospitalization scandal on the news by now.  Anyway, he needs someone – really for basic personal assistant work: errands, scheduling, and basic organizational stuff.  It is really a pretty cake job for someone of your caliber.  He has a solid routine so your schedule will be more structured with far less travel.  He just has one other property besides Los Angeles.  Oh, and they are offering to pay you double your current salary.  I’m sure you’re on board, but just let me know and I’ll make the call.” 

She put her hand to her chin lost in thought.  It felt like taking a career back step.  She had worked so hard to move beyond the basic gopher errand-running personal assistant she had once been.  She was also nervous about starting work for someone that had recently been hospitalized.  Would she be required to serve as a nurse?  Provide any sort of medical care?  That was definitely not the direction she wanted to head in.  If anything, she was more interested in touring musicians and high-profile music industry acts.  But, she needed an out.  After the encounter with Charlie she had just had, she knew that the best thing for her would be to get as far away from this situation as possible.  And the stability of staying in one location for a while would do her some good.  She eagerly called Brad back to deliver the news.

**

JC looked over at his manager, then back to the nurse, then back to his manager once again.  “Is this really necessary?” he asked, looking sternly at the wheelchair in front of him.

“It’s hospital policy,” the nurse said.  “No exceptions.”  She motioned for him to have a seat.  He groaned as he made his way to the wheelchair, frustrated at how much energy it really was taking him to walk from the bed to the chair on the other side of the room.  His manager looked at him with concern.

“JC – are you alright?  Grab my arm,” he extended it.  JC looked down and then gave in, not being able to hold himself up anymore.  He held on as he made his way over to the wheelchair and had a seat.

“Now, you need to ensure you take your medication, Mr. Chasez.  You are clearly not fully recovered.  And drink plenty of fluids,” the nurse said as she started pushing his chair down the hallway.

Eric followed suit, furiously texting on his phone.  “Good news JC – that young lady accepted the offer so you have a new personal assistant!  Doesn’t it feel great?”

JC nodded, “Alright, at least she has an impressive reputation.”

As the group entered the elevator, JC mentally prepared himself for what he would be greeted with outside.  His manager had already warned him that members of the press were congregating outside to capture the moment of him leaving the hospital. 

The elevator doors reopened as he was wheeled into the lobby.  A towncar was waiting for him and he covered his face with his hands as he felt the flash of photography as he emerged amongst the mob of photographers and reporters.  He ignored their inquiries into his health as he was helped into the backseat of the car.  The car sped off and headed back to his home.  Home.  Finally a night in his own bed. 

**

Whitney sat beside the sound technicians as she watched the end of the groups’ live set.  Charles had made an announcement that he was dedicating their final song for the evening, “I Run To You,” to his very special woman.  He looked her in the eyes as he sang the opening lyrics of the song.  She sighed to herself and shook her head as she walked away and headed towards the exit of the venue, to slip back on the bus. 

Moments later the whole group had made it back to the bus.  There was really no easy way for her to tell them, but now at least they were all together. 

She sighed as she waited for them to all settle down.  “I have something to tell you,” she said, looking at the three band mates.

“Best set ever?” Dave asked, high-fiving Hilary as he said it.

Charles was quiet.  He had seen her walk off while he was singing to her and knew that this would only be bad news. 

“I have been offered a new position and I’ve decided to take it.  I’ll be leaving you all after the tour ends,” she said, pausing afterwards to read the expressions on their faces. 

“Why couldn’t you just keep it in your pants, Charlie?” Dave yelled, clearly knowing some of what had transpired.  Whitney blushed out of embarrassment.  She hadn’t realized any one had caught on. 

Charlie sat up and violently threw his wedding band against the wall.  He slammed the door behind him as he headed to his bunk.

Hilary’s reaction was softer.  “Is there anything we can do to change your mind?” 

Whitney shook her head, “It’s time for me to start over.”

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited love assistant jealous triangles drunksex lyrics otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync originalcharacter vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi