“Did you need to answer that?  You can, if you need to,” JC said, motioning to her phone, which was ringing for the third time.

Whitney looked down and immediately hit ignore once she saw the identity of the caller.  She put her phone on silent and looked back at him, “No, nothing important.” 

“You’re sure?  You seem a little bit distracted,” he said, trying to read if something was wrong. 

“It’s nothing to worry about.  Now, let’s focus on you.  I have your schedule for the rest of the week.  Your publicist sent over some interview information for you to review,” she said, focusing on business and ignoring her personal drama. 

“You are a godsend,” he said, shaking his head at how organized she was.  It still surprised him a bit. 

**

The two had headed off to an interview JC was doing for MTV around hype for the next season of America’s Best Dance Crew.  While JC was being prepped, Whitney hung back in the corner making some calls.  She had to make several phone calls regarding his second property in Florida;  there was a lot of maintenance to be done and since they weren’t there to manage it she was ensuring that photos would be e-mailed to her once work had been completed. 

He watched her in the corner getting work done, multi-tasking without distraction.  He had completely dismissed the idea of having a personal assistant, but Whitney had been the perfect addition.  He sighed, noticing the way she played with her hair with her left hand while she handed her phone in her right and the way she snapper her fingers when she was getting her way negotiating over the phone.  He was attracted to her and there was no denying it. 

She watched as he started the interview.  She put her other work down and concentrated on him.  He had such a comfortable energy about him and he spoke very eloquently.  The interview seemed to be going well so far. 

Many have said that your recent hospitalization was linked to depression.  Can you comment on that?

 

Whitney held her breath.  JC hadn’t been expecting to have to speak about his health and he looked like he was caught off-guard.  She leaned in, waiting to see how he would react. 

“I was recently hospitalized, but that was due to over exhaustion from over working.  I admit that I am a bit of a work-aholic.  I’m passionate about what I do.  But, I wasn’t taking enough time for me and it took a toll on my health.  I’ve taken a few precautions to ensure that it does not happen again,” he looked over at Whitney.  “I love what I do and I want to continue to pursue my interests.”

She was impressed.  He had a soft charm and she was realizing just how attracted to him she was, unable to deny it to herself anymore.  There would, however, be no acting on those feelings.  She learned her lesson from the last time.  She was not going to make the same mistakes she had made with Charlie, letting her personal feelings interfere with her professional life and cloud her judgment.  She had developed a comfortable rapport with JC and was enjoying her workload.  She was not going to do anything to jeopardize that. 

**

JC drove up to his house, looking at the time.  It was about 9 p.m.  He looked over at her, “I know it’s getting late, is it alright if we just go over some of the travel arrangements and then you can head out for the evening?” he asked her.  She nodded and slid out of the passenger seat as they headed back into his home.

“I’m just going to go upstairs and change,” he said and headed up the staircase.   

Whitney slipped outside and sat down on the balcony, preparing herself to playback her voicemail. 

Charlie’s familiar alluring drawl came on, “Whitney, please call me back.  I’ve been thinkin’ a lot and I just want to see you.  Where are you?  Please call me darlin’, I just want to hear your voice.”

She bit her nails nervously as she considered whether or not she should call him back.  Whether or not he was still her employer did not change the fact that he was still very married.  She deleted the message and then headed back inside. 

**

JC came back downstairs in sweats and noticed Whitney coming in from the balcony, clearly having checked her messages.

“Okay, where were we?” she asked, putting her phone down on the counter.

“Travel arrangements,” he said, pouring himself a glass of water.

“Oh, I left the calendar in the car.  I’ll be right back,” she said, swiftly grabbing her keys and heading out the front door.

He eyed her Blackberry, sitting on the edge of the counter.  He inched toward it and noticed the text message that was on the screen.  Miss You Darlin’ – Charlie.  Who was Charlie?  Should have known she was involved with someone.  He slowly inched back away from the phone and took a sip of his water.

She returned to the room, handing him the packet of papers.  “Here you go,” she said with a smile.

“Thanks,” he said, feeling his heart sinking in disappointment.  “How about I read this over and we can review it all tomorrow.  Go enjoy your evening,” he said.

“Oh, okay.  Have a nice night,” she said, heading out the front door.

He followed her, locking the door behind her.  He leaned against the door, letting out a sigh.  He really needed to accept the fact that Whitney was his assistant, nothing more.   

**

Whitney walked towards her apartment building.  As she headed inside, she spotted someone outside her apartment door.  He was on the ground, leaning against her door with his head in his hands. 

“Charlie,” she said out loud in disbelief, as she dropped her keys on the hallway carpet. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited love assistant jealous triangles drunksex lyrics otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync originalcharacter vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi