Whitney took a second-glance as she walked past the newsstand on the sidewalk.  The headlines of this week’s tabloids had caught her attention.  She snatched one from the top shelf and started leafing through it, searching for the article that linked to the cover images.  She handed some loose cash to the man behind the counter as her eyes remained on the page.  A picture the paparazzi must have snapped of Bianca sitting with JC at brunch was smattered everywhere. Absurd fictional stories of their heated affair, their secret romance and their lovechild were on every cover.  Of course, she was fairly certain it was all fictional.  However, the article had several photos of the two together at different events over the past year.  It was probably coincidental, but she found herself wondering if there was more to it than that.  They may have had a romantic past, if not a present. 

**

She balanced the coffee cups in her left hand to free her right hand to knock on the door.  She heard him pad towards the door and the click of the knob as he opened it.  He smiled at her shyly.  “Oh, is that for me?”

She smirked, “No, I actually brought both of these for me.”

He chuckled as she moved past him and shut the door behind her.  “Well, thank you.”

She plopped her purse down on the counter as she handed him his warm coffee.  He moved towards the fridge to get milk, but she put her hand out to stop him.  “It has half-and-half and two splendas.”

He shook his head with a laugh, “I should have known.”

The alarm on her phone went off and she slid the pill bottle across the counter to him.  He nodded, taking it down with his coffee.

“So what’s on the agenda for today?” she asked. 

Before JC could answer, he was interrupted by the front door slamming.  Eric came charging in, a pile of magazines in his hands.  Whitney quietly pulled her purse from the counter, tucking her own tabloid deeper into her bag with embarrassment. 

“Eric?” JC raised his eyebrow, puzzled.

In response, he threw the pile of magazines down on the table.  JC’s eyes widened at the sight of his own image with Bianca on the cover as Whitney winced in anticipation of what Eric was going to say next. 

“I can explain this,” JC said, “Eric, I was waiting for Whitney and Bianca came over…I know what it looks like, but…”

Eric gazed over at Whitney curiously, but turned back to JC.  “Well, don’t apologize, this is a publicity goldmine!”  He clapped his hands together with a smug look of satisfaction.  “My phone has been ringing off the hook all morning.  Every media outlet wants the dish on Bianca and you.  They’re all calling you the new it-couple.”  He rubbed his hands together and clapped them once again, “This is fantastic!”

JC crossed his arms, “Well there is no dish because she and I are not a couple, so I am not sure how this is benefitting you or me.”

Eric’s eyes lit up, “Ah, yes, well that’s where you’re wrong, my friend.  You are the new it couple and you are going to that party Saturday night together.”

JC looked over at Whitney, pursing his lips.  “But, I was going to bri-“

“-now I already spoke with Bianca’s people and it’s all arranged.  She is going to come over here to meet you and then you will be arriving at the party together.  The paparazzi will have a field day!”

“Bianca was on board with this?” JC scratched his head, bringing his fingers to his temple.

Eric smiled, “Yes, I think you charmed her.”

Whitney felt her stomach tightening with jealousy as she continued to sit silently at the kitchen counter. 

JC narrowed his eyes at Eric.  “This is absurd – I am not doing this.  This is nonsense.”

“JC, you worry about being an artist.  You pay me to worry about you being a celebrity.  Now, spare me the lecture on how you are not a sell-out like all these other Hollywood-types.  The reality is that I am as close as I can be to cutting you a new record deal, but the biggest obstacle we have is that you’re not much of a celebrity right now.  We live in a world where celebrity sells records, not artistry.  So as your manager, I am telling you that this move is going to be the difference in your music being released or collecting dust in your studio.” 

Whitney held her breath as she waited for JC’s response.  The silence in the room said it all as the look of defeat washed over his face. 

Eric smiled with satisfaction.  “Alright, now Whitney,” he looked over at her.  She sat up expectantly.  “Rearrange the limousine arrangements.  I want you with them handling every detail so this night goes off without a hitch.”

She swallowed, trying to come up with any excuse to get out of it.  “Well, I…don’t you think it’s better if they’re alone on their date together?  Maybe it would be easier if I didn’t go.”

 “No – we need you there to keep JC on track.  He has to successfully network the room.”

She nodded as she looked down at the text message on her phone.

You still have plans all Saturday night? - Charlie

 

She paused before typing a response.

I might be able to get off work early.

 

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited love assistant jealous triangles drunksex lyrics otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync originalcharacter vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi