Whitney pulled into the driveway, noting that there were two unfamiliar cars already parked there.  She assumed one must be Bianca’s, but was unsure of who the second one belonged to.  As she turned the car off, she took a long breath and leaned back in her seat.  She had originally been looking forward to this evening until Eric had hijacked it.  Granted JC had asked her to accompany him in what seemed to be a work capacity, but it was a nice proposition at the time.  She had been looking forward to spending time with him in a social setting, even if it teased the feelings for him she had been suppressing.  Instead, her evening would most likely consist of being dragged along through this publicity charade and cattle-herding interviews on the red carpet.  She slipped out of the car and headed to the front door, trying to force a slight smile as the warm evening air breezed by.  She knocked timidly and heard footsteps shuffling in the foyer.

The door opened and she felt herself easing as she met the gaze of his blue eyes.  He had on a black blazer over a white button-down shirt.  Even with dark jeans on, he was still more dressed up than she had ever seen him before.  He cleaned up nicely. 

 “Whitney,” a smile formed on his lips at the sight of her, as she moved past him inside.  “Thanks for coming.”

She nodded, “Of course.”  Her cheeks reddened slightly as she felt his gaze move down her navy dress. 

He swallowed nervously.  “You look stu-st…” he trailed off. 

She looked up at JC curiously when he didn’t finish his sentence and followed his eye line to the mystery guest that had entered the foyer behind her.  He looked familiar, but she couldn’t place him. 

“The word he was going to use was stunning,” he said with a light chuckle as he stepped towards her. 

“I was,” JC nodded, sheepishly.  “You look stunning.”

Before Whitney could react, the guest reached out to shake her hand.  “Hi, I’m Jake.  It is a real pleasure to meet you, Whitney.”  He grinned as he looked over at JC.  “I’ve heard so many things about you.”

She eyed the two of them, noting their banter indicated that JC was talking about her to his friends and she felt the slightest sense of satisfaction.  JC had spoken about Jake on several occasions and had mentioned that he was in public relations.  He still looked familiar, but she assumed it was because of his presence in the photos of JC’s friends that were framed in the living room. 

Before the three could carry on their conversation, the sharp echo of heels tapping down the main staircase made them all turn.  Bianca was headed towards them, having finished primping upstairs.  She wore a red silk dress with a neckline so low it seemed that a potential red carpet nip-slip photo seemed eminent.  JC stood slack-jawed at her and Whitney felt the small knot of jealousy in her stomach tighten. 

“Bianca, wow…” he brought his hand to his chin. 

His thoughts were interrupted by her angry tone.  “What is he doing here?” she asked, crossing her arms. 

“Aw B, it’s always nice to see you, too!”  Jake flashed a sarcastic smile at her.  “I was brought in to chaperone.  Don’t want you kids getting into too much trouble tonight.”

“Whatever, Jake.  You’re not getting out of the limo until we are good and clear.  I am not having you anywhere near this,” she said. 

JC seemed frozen in place.  Whitney cleared her throat to cut the tension.  “The limousine is here now,” she motioned to the driveway.

“Let’s go, let’s go,” Bianca said, heading out the front door.  Jake rolled his eyes as he followed her. 

Whitney eyed the tie lying across the back of the sofa in the living room and picked it up.  “JC?”

“Oh, I forgot…” he smiled, reaching for it.  He took it from her and slipped it around his neck and she noticed his hands nervously shaking as he tried to tie it.  “Would you, um, mind?”

She nodded, straightening his collar as she pulled the ends of the tie to line up.  He raised his chin as she wrapped the fabric around, knotting it.  “There,” she admired her handy work.

“Thanks, I’m a little nervous,” he said, locking eyes with her.  “I haven’t been to one of these things in a while.”

“You’re going to do fine tonight,” she said reassuringly as they headed out.

**

Whitney sat quietly in the limo as JC and Bianca held a private conversation at the other end.  Every now and then Jake would make a little joke with her to engage, but for the most part she found herself checking her phone and reviewing e-mails to pass the time.  She felt her phone vibrate from a text message alert and opened it.

What are you doin’?  - Charlie

She smiled.  Heading to a work thing.

What time do you get out?  I would love to split early from this party to come see you. – Charlie

What party are you at?

“We’re here,” Bianca said, clapping her hands with excitement.  Whitney slipped her phone into her bag as she readied herself for the nonsense to come. 

The door opened and JC slid out, reaching his hand and pulling Bianca out behind him.  He slipped his arm around her.  From the limo, Whitney could feel the flash of what seemed to be a million cameras.  A paparazzi army seemed to be in a complete frenzy at the sight of the couple.

After waiting a few beats, Jake turned to her. “Ready?”

She nodded as he helped her out after him.  She kept a safe distance from JC and Bianca, able to hear what was said without being caught in any of the photos.  When interviewers tried to get them to answer questions, Bianca would coyly respond.  She was doing an impressive job at answering without revealing very much information.  JC nodded without saying much of anything as they made their way down the carpet.

**

The group made their way into the party.  Quite a bit of attention seemed to be on Bianca and JC and Whitney felt herself trying to slip into the background of the party.  Jake must have sensed her discomfort, as he stayed with her. 

“You don’t have to wait with me,” she said.

They stopped by the end of the bar.  “I don’t mind.  It’s a rare luxury to have the company of a real person at one of these things.  You’re certainly better company than JC’s new plastic girlfriend.”

She resisted the urge to laugh in response, afraid of how it would come off.  The bartender approached them.  “What can I get you folks?”

“I’ll have a gin and tonic.  What would you like, Whitney?”

She paused, “Oh, that’s alright.  I’m working.”

“Are you sure?”

“A lemon drop for the lady,” she heard a deep voice say from behind her.  The bartender nodded and headed off to fill their order.

She turned and instantly recognized Mark Ryans, the Hollywood actor.  “There’s no way Jake convinced someone to be his date for this thing, so you must be Whitney.  I’m Mark.”

“It’s nice to meet you.  How could you tell I was a vodka girl?”

“There are two things I know in this world,” he said.

Jake rolled his eyes, “Here we go…”

“Booze and women.  Now where is our little buddy?”

“Looks like he’s working the room with the ice queen,” Jake motioned to JC and Bianca, who were at the other end of the bar.  Whitney looked over at him and he caught her glance, giving her a shy little wave.  She waved back.  Bianca had broken away from him to speak to some of her friends, so he headed over towards his own group. 

As he rejoined them, Mark clapped his hands.  “Yes, this song!  Right now!  Dance with me,” he pulled on Whitney’s arm.

She put her hand up in protest, “Oh, no thanks.”

“No, you see, I don’t really do the whole rejection thing,” he laughed as he continued to tug on her arm. 

 “He is relentless.  You should accept defeat,” Jake said. 

She gave in, as he pulled her to the dance floor.  JC watched as she moved slowly at first, insecure at the glances at her by spectators.  Once enough people had crowded around them, she started to cut loose.  Mark leaned in and whispered a joke in her ear and she laughed loudly in response.  She covered her mouth with slight embarrassment.  JC felt a tug of jealousy watching the two of them together, wishing he could be the one dancing with her and making her laugh.

Jake turned to him.  “She likes you, at least a little.  There’s something between you two.”

JC pursed his lips.  “I don’t think she’s single.”

“I think she was texting some guy in the limo, but I doubt it’s serious.  The way she looks at you says something.”

“Hey Jake,” a tall blonde man patted him on the shoulder.

“Hey!  JC, you’re friends with Josh Kelley, right?  This is his brother, Charles.  We know each other through Capitol Records.  You guys should talk production.”

“Hey man, I am a huge fan of your work.  Admittedly, I haven’t really dabbled in country music.  But, I love your sound.”  JC started in and the two became entrenched in conversation. 

**

Whitney had been having more fun dancing than she had had all night.  Mark was a complete goofball, but between him and Jake she felt like she was getting to know JC better.  Mark mentioned getting some water so she followed him off the dance floor to head back to their group.  She looked over and froze in place at the sight before her.  There was Charlie sitting at the bar with Jake and JC cracking jokes.  She felt her stomach tightening as she timidly moved towards them. 

“Whit,” Charlie said, flashing his brightest smile.  “I didn’t know work was this party tonight.”

JC looked at the two of them curiously.  “Wait, how do you two know each other?”

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited love assistant jealous triangles drunksex lyrics otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync originalcharacter vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi