Trace was a colorful character.  While he definitely seemed to be a troublemaker, his smaller frame and Southern drawl made him seem harmless.  As she watched him laugh jovially and tell wild stories, she felt at ease.  More importantly, she saw the impact Trace’s presence was immediately having on Justin.  He had seemingly transformed from his monstrous self to a real person in a matter of minutes being around Trace.  Seeing him act like a normal person seemed like a private secret that was being shared with her and she decided that the presence of Trace was something to be relished. 

“So, Whitney,” Trace said, turning to her.

“Yes?” she raised her eyebrow.  She had been content to be an observer of their conversation without having to actively participate.

“How are you adjusting to life on the road?” he asked.  He seemed sincerely interested, which she found surprising.  She looked over at Justin, surprised to see that he appeared to be genuinely interested, too.

“Well, it’s been difficult.  Really difficult.  It’s a very different lifestyle,” she said. 

Trace nodded, “It’s one of the toughest gigs out there.  Plus, I’m sure it’s not easy putting up with this guy.”  He chuckled as he motioned towards Justin.

“He’s definitely an added challenge,” she smirked as she crossed her arms for emphasis.

He laughed, “Justin!  She just called you out!  We’ve got a live one here.  I like this chick!”

Justin looked at her inquisitively.  “I like her, too.”  Her face reddened a little in response.  “Actually,” he leaned back as he pointed toward her, “Whitney has just been promoted.”  She furrowed her brows with confusion.

Trace clapped his hands, “Well, congratulations are in order!  We have to do shots!  Let’s go to a bar, J.”

Justin nodded and said something to the driver. 

“So, what is this promotion of yours, Whitney?” Trace asked.

Whitney stared Justin down.  “I was going to ask the same question.”

**

Laura slowly moved through JC’s hotel room as he stood in place watching her suspiciously.

“Laura, what’s this about?” he asked. 

“Aw, JC.  It’s nice to see you, too,” she quipped sarcastically.

“It’s getting late,” he said, motioning for her to leave.

“Well, that’s why I’m here.  Whitney is otherwise engaged this evening, so I have been sent here to keep you company in her absence.” 

He searched her eyes, “Where is she?”

She yawned as she plopped down on the sofa.  “Something about her not feeling well, blah, blah, blah.”

“Is she okay?”

She rolled her eyes, “How should I know?  What gives, JC?  You can’t just enjoy the company of another woman?” 

“I’m not really interested,” he said, bluntly.

“Oh,” her face turned solemn, “Justin will get upset if I don’t stay here.  I can’t let him get angry with me again.”  Her eyes started to water. 

“Um…I guess you can stay here for a little while,” he offered, reluctantly. 

“Thanks, JC.  You’re such a good guy.”

“No big deal,” he said, settling back down into a chair opposite her. 

She eyed the notebook he had left opened on the coffee table.  “What’s that?”

“Oh, nothing,” he said, taking it from the table and walking into the bedroom to place it safely on his nightstand.

**

The threesome had made their way to the back table at a small dive bar.  Whitney just wanted to get back to the bus and hit the hay, but she had not control in the situation.  Justin was oddly on his best behavior and Trace was somehow serving as the perfect buffer.  As she took another sip of her drink she felt herself feeling another wave of sleepiness.  She really needed to rest up for the show tomorrow night. 

Justin returned to the table with another round. “To Whitney, the new lead dancer on my tour,” he said, raising his glass in the air.

Trace cheers his glass, “To Whitney!”

Her mind started to reel.  “What, really?”

Justin licked his lips, “Really.”

“But, what about Casey?”

He laughed, “What about her?”

She felt her stomach drop slightly.  He tapped on the table and she reluctantly responded by taking a swig of the whiskey in front of her.  She winced as it burned down her throat.

“Whitney, you deserve it.  You have worked really hard and it shows.  It’s going to be a big responsibility, but with big responsibility comes big reward with me.” 

“I’ll close the tab,” Trace offered, getting up from the table. 

She couldn’t believe the person in front of her.  He was coming out of left field tonight with his new proposition.  She had gone from devastation to elation in matter of hours at the mere change of his mood.  She fought to keep her eyes open.  “Reward?”

“Rewards,” he smiled devilishly. 

“All set,” Trace returned.  Whitney moved to get up, but felt her legs shake slightly.  Justin helped her up by her arm and led her out to the limo.

**

As she opened her eyes, she felt the sting of her overtiredness.  She looked around and noted that she was in her tour bus bunk.  She didn’t even remember making it back on the bus last night, let alone getting into bed.  She pulled her curtain open and saw Casey throwing clothes in a bag.

“Casey?” she asked, groggily.

“Save it,” she said, roughly.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“I think you know exactly what’s going on,” she said tightly.  Before Whitney could respond, Casey stormed off the bus and slammed the door behind her. 

**


Incomplete
Whit1210 is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked I Run To You also liked 429 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair unrequited missionary love angryj tourj stripper drugsex druggiej cheaterj hotelj soloj jealous triangles threeway drunksex angrysex lyrics otherwoman postsync drunkj originalcharacter justinandtrace producerjc dancer