Justin headed off to another day of tour preparations.  His new North American tour was starting in November so he had a little over three months left to prepare.  It had been almost 3 years since his last tour and expectations were higher than ever.  Always the perfectionist, he was working out every detail.  Everyone had suggested he slow down with some of his other side-projects, but he had ended up increasing his workload tremendously instead. 

He often did some of his best thinking while driving, but on this particular day he was not thinking about his tour or his music.  Instead, he was lost in thought about Whitney, pregnancy and Lance.  He had tried to be supportive; to appear collected.  But he was freaking out on the inside.  He needed to talk to Lance about this immediately.  He decided to set up a meeting with Lance later so that he could clear the air and his mind. 

**

“That’s right, we’ll need the booking for the 27th.  I’ll send over the details.  And your direct extension?  502?  Thanks so much,” Whitney said as she hung up the phone.  She glanced at the clock and noted she had about ten minutes of downtime before her lunch appointment.  She slid in her office chair closer to her laptop and sat up straight as she typed “surrogate pregnancy” into the google search page.  She started scanning through, landing on a frequently asked questions page which she studied intently. 

Knock.  Knock.  Knock.  Whitney looked up from her computer to her half-opened office door to see Tori standing there.  Tori was Whitney’s long-time friend and business partner.  The two had met fresh out of college and worked in the event planning circuit in New York before moving to California three years ago and eventually starting a firm of their own together. 

“Ready to go to lunch?” Tori asked, peeking her head in. 

“Just a minute,” Whitney said.  Tori nodded as she tucked her short brown hair behind her left ear and toyed with her blackberry.  Whitney closed her laptop and grabbed her purse as she stood up from the desk and met Tori at the doorway. 

“What details are we discussing today?” Tori asked, as Whitney closed the door behind them and the two headed down the hallway.

“The ballroom has been confirmed for the roaring twenties party at the end of October, so today we are going to finalize cocktail and menu options.”

“I do love a working lunch.”

“I knew you’d be satisfied with our assignment.  Sometimes, I feel like we have the best job in the world.”

**

Lance slid his aviator sunglasses up to the top of his head as he cautiously headed into the TennMan Records building.  The short conversation that had transpired with Justin on the phone earlier had been anything but encouraging.  He made his way down the corridor to reception and waited.  He tapped his foot nervously on the ground as he toyed with his phone to distract himself. 

About ten minutes later he was escorted to the office down the hall.  He closed the door behind him and met Justin’s cold stare from across his desk.  He stood frozen in place waiting for a cue.  Justin continued to stare at him silently until Lance finally decided to speak. 

“Hey Justin, I’m glad you called…” he said, with a half-smile.

“Have a seat Lance,” Justin said in the same short tone he had used on the phone with him earlier.

Lance sat down obediently and clasped his hands together anxiously.  He waited to hear what Justin had to say.

“Now look,” Justin started, crossing his arms.  “Whitney wants to do this and I respect her decision.”

Lance smiled wider.  “Justin, that means so much to me-“

“-Hold on.  I respect her decision, but I have my own reservations.  She is my fiancée and if this is going to happen, I want you and I to have an understanding.”

Lance nodded slowly, but remained silent.

“Obviously, I am concerned for her health.  So, I want to make sure that while I am on the road for the tour that you and Jake are taking care of her and managing her medical care.  Is the primary doctor in Los Angeles?”

“Well, Jake’s filming in L.A. through Christmas.  We’re going to stay here through the holidays and then head back to New York.  The specialist here has recommended someone to take over in January once we’re back on the East Coast, if everything goes according to plan.”

Justin nods.  “That sounds reasonable.  My main concern is that this does not turn into a media circus.  I mean it, Lance.”  He gives him another stare.

Lance squirms in his chair with discomfort.  “Obviously, I want to keep this as quiet as possible.”

“This stays silent.  And if and when it needs to go public, I want full control of all press,” Justin says, leaning back in his chair.

“Jake and I just really want to have a child, Justin.  Whatever is going to make this easier for everyone is fine with me.  I just want to make this work.  Please.”

Justin sits up and his look softens for the first time.  “I’m sorry Lance.  I just get protective…”

Lance nods.  “It’s okay.  You should be.  She is your fiancée, after all.”

**

“And here we have a trio of chocolate desserts,” the head caterer said as she placed the tasting plates in front of the ladies. 

“Dessert was always my favorite part of any meal,” Tori said as she excitedly slid her spoon into the mousse first. 

Whitney drummed her fingers on the white linen tablecloth.  “What are we planning on pairing this with?”

“Well, the dessert cocktails are supposed to coordinate with the flavors,” Tori said as she motioned to the glasses on the table.  “Bellini?”

“No,” she put her hand up in protest, “I can’t.”

“Suit yourself.  Since when do you turn down a glass of bubbly?”

“I’ve got another appointment this afternoon.  No room for a lunchtime cocktail.”

“Oh, which client are you seeing?”

Whitney pursed her lips.  “I…well…it’s a new event.”

Tori put the spoon down and crossed her arms.  “What’s going on?”  She raised her eyebrow.  “You don’t just add new clients or plan new events without telling me.  What are you hiding?”

“Alright,” Whitney said as she resigned herself to telling Tori everything.  “I’ve agreed to be Lance and Jake’s surrogate so I am heading to the first doctor appointment this afternoon with Lance.”

“Whoa, this is huge.  That’s amazing.”

“Thanks, I hope it all works out.”

“Justin must be freaking out.”

“Well, I think he’s adjusting to the idea.”

“How is this going to affect the wedding?”

“Well, I want to get through the pregnancy before we tackle the wedding.  After all, what’s the rush?  We live together already, it’s not like it’s going to really change things.” 

“Whit, you are the only event planner I know that’s last priority is planning the huge event that is their own wedding!”

“I know, we’re just so busy and Justin is getting everything together for the tour and now the pregnancy; I think its better pushing plans aside for now.” 

Tori started to say something, but was interrupted by the ring of Whitney’s phone. 

“Hello?  Oh, hi Lance.  Yes, I’ll meet you there.  Twenty minutes?  Perfect.”  Whitney put the phone down.  “All set?”

Tori nodded and grabbed her bag as the two headed out of the restaurant. 

“Well, this is very exciting.  Give Lance my best,” Tori said as she gave Whitney a hug. 

“Thanks Tori.  Wish us luck!” 

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary affair unrequited missionary boyfriendj love fiancej angryj tourj makeupsex cheaterj soloj jealous triangles lyrics brotherlylove breakupj phonesex postsync drunkj daddyl proposal originalcharacter justinandtrace jc justin vacation producerjc hospital tabloids paparazzi lance