Author's Chapter Notes:
The big reveal! Hope I did it justice and you can picture exactly how this went!

~*~

 

"Just how nervous are you," Michael asked Rachel as they watched the photographers go crazy at the reunited NSYNC members.

 

"I feel like I'm gonna puke," Rachel took his hand squeezing tightly. "I am actually grateful they are garnering so much attention that they," she nodded toward the photographers and media members waiting for a word, "forget about me."

 

Michael chuckled. "Just watch my shoes if you do puke."

 

"Gee thanks," Rachel said dryly rolling her eyes. "JC would have at least offered to hold my hair."

 

"Well he's your husband," Melissa spoke up. "He's supposed to do that. It's in the handbook."

 

"I feel like we should have just dated each other," Rachel spoke, looking at the other four standing with her. She was joined by not only Michael and Melissa, but Jessica and Karly as well; Justin's wife and Chris's fiancée.

 

"Well isn't this what happened when they were together?" Karly asked. She was nervous. This was the first show of this kind she had attended. It was nerve-wracking being around so many music stars.

 

Rachel nodded. "Yes. We never really walked the red carpet together..."

 

"Or the orange carpet," Melissa cut in. "Believe the Kid's Choice was orange."

 

"Not that important," Rachel gave her friend an eye roll. "They wanted just them. None of us were important. Most times we met them inside. In fact, it was encouraged that we meet them inside."

 

"Yeah they didn't want to advertise any of the men were actually taken," Melissa rolled her eyes. "Wanted all the girls to believe they really had a chance."

 

"Oh yeah, attached boy band members didn't sell," Rachel mocked. "The fans knew of course. JC and Joey were always the 'off limits' ones."

 

"Are you gonna tell us what your performance is?" Karly asked.

 

"Yeah, are ya?" Melissa asked a teasing gleam in her eye.

 

"Yeah right. I'm happy it's lasted this long without getting out." Two days ago, two acts had been found out. It had created a lot of talk. Someone had saw the rehearsals and tweeted out the information.

 

"You know." Michael stared at Melissa then at Rachel.

 

"Know what?"

 

"You know who Rachel is performing."

 

"I know no such thing," Melissa disputed but felt the blush cross her face.

 

"Mel..." Rachel warned. "You," she pointed her finger in Michael's face. "Behave!" She jumped feeling a hand on her waist. Spinning around she stared into the blue eyes of her husband.

 

"Just me," JC said with a grin. He wrapped an arm around her waist after the obligatory group only photos were finished. He was sure the photographers wanted more, but the guys nixed their requests. For the first time they could actually be with their dates on the carpet and that's what they were going to do. "The carpet awaits."

 

Rachel saw Justin and Jessica walk down the carpet first. Lights flashed all over the place from the photographers taking photo after photo of the couple. She knew Justin was the most popular member from the group, had the most success solo but the rest of the guys had found success in other areas. She and JC waited, allowing the rest of the guys to go first. There would be a moment where she'd have to take solo photos. Not many of course, because she was sharing this night with JC. "I think this is the first time I've walked the carpet with you in NSYNC capacity."

 

JC stopped on the mark where the coordinator told them. He wrapped his arm around Rachel's waist, holding her against his side, smiling as the flash bulbs popped. "You do know that wasn't us right? That I wanted you with me but we weren't allowed."

 

"I know," Rachel smiled toward the photographers. She pressed her hand on his waist, squeezing slightly. Her smile widened when she felt his hand return the favor. They were pros at the carpet stuff. She may not have been able to walk to carpets with him during NSYNC, but he had been there to walk with her during all the award shows she'd been apart of.

 

"Just how nervous are you?" Lance asked as the show started. Their row consisted of Justin, Jessica, JC, Rachel, himself, Michael, Joey, Melissa, then Chris and Karly.

 

"I'm not nervous at all. I've been on stage plenty of times."

 

"If you're not nervous then why do you have a bone crushing grip on my hand?" Lance chuckled when the pressure on his hand quickly lessened.

 

"Sorry," Rachel blushed as she quickly released both Lance and JC's hands from her grip. "I'm about ready to gnaw all my fingernails off. I wish I would have opened the show."

 

"Maybe if you were nicer to Mr. Klein," JC leaned closer to Rachel so he could talk without disrupting anyone around them.

 

Rachel curled her lip. "He's probably waiting backstage to make more changes. If that's the case, The Warden and I are... well... it won't be pretty. It doesn't matter anyway. No one's going to be talking about my performance or anyone else's tomorrow. It's gonna be all about you guys and how you were all in the same room again. This will definitely spark rumors."

 

"Good," Joey answered, hearing Rachel's words. "Those questions were dying down on Twitter. I was kind of missing them."

 

"Oh I don't know Rachel," Melissa said, laughing. "We might be talking about your performance if your pants fall off."

 

"That problem was fixed," Rachel stuck her tongue out at her friend. "They fit securely now. Trust me; before I let the ladies leave I shimmied and shook my butt off doing everything I could think of. They didn't budge."

 

"Did Megan catch that on camera?" JC murmured, reclaiming his wife's hand.

 

"No she did not. Thank God."

 

The further into the event the more Rachel's stomach twisted in knots. She was set to perform in the second hour. She spent the first hour gripping JC's hand tight. This was by far the worst case of nerves she ever had. Before long she was being summoned to the back. She felt sick.

 

"You'll do great," JC let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulders pulling her to him. He palmed the back of her head so he could speak into her ear. "It's just any other performance. Just remember how excited you were yesterday when you came home after your final rehearsal. Trust me, tonight will be even better than yesterday. No matter what, I love you."

 

Rachel blinked back the tears her husband's words caused. She quickly hugged him tight. When she pulled back she kissed him. "Love you too." Before she left she opened the small clutch she carried and very carefully palmed the item inside. Making a fist around the item she sent JC a smile, hoping he didn't see. "Wish me luck."

 

With words of encouragement following her, she followed the stage hand from the audience backstage where she met up with the girls.

 

"You look gorgeous!" Erin gushed as they started getting ready. Off came their red carpet duds and on went the outfit they were wearing to finish out their medley. Halfway through the concert there was a clothing change.

 

"Thanks." Rachel smiled as she slipped out of the dress she wore.

 

"Friends are watching on TV and they are telling me they have showing NSYNC a lot," Danielle said.

 

"It's gonna be crazy for a few weeks with rumors about them getting back together," Rachel spoke as she changed bras from the cute, sexy red one she had worn beneath her dress to a plain one that offered more support. With all the bouncing around she was about to do, she needed all the support she can get.

 

"Isn't this awesome?" Erin held up a white bandana with sparkled jewels. If Rachel didn't know any better, she would have sworn Erin had stolen one of Justin's. Erin beamed when Rachel told her. "I researched all day looking at pictures."

 

"Whitney, your hair looks amazing," Rachel looked at the woman's brown hair, completely braided into tiny braids. She had them pulled up high on her head and twisted in a manner that it looked like Chris's "pineapple hair". "You find googles?"

 

"I did, but they won't stay on my head. They keep flying off. I tried everything I could think of to make them stay." Danielle frowned. "I really wanted to wear them, but the braids will work fine. I think everyone will know who I am supposed to be."

 

"Did you bring it?" Meeghan asked. Her own long hair was pulled into a pony tail. It was streaked with thick red chunks.

 

Rachel smiled and reached down, picking up the item she sat on top of the vest she was going to be wearing to start off. She held it up for the girls to see. The medallion swung in the air from the black cord. "I'll have to wear it underneath the first outfit. I don't want it to get caught and pulled off. Everyone will see it once we get into the Pop outfits."

 

She pulled the sleeveless, fitted shirt on before securing the Leo necklace around her neck. She gave it a few tugs to make sure it wasn't coming off. Satisfied she pulled on the pants that went with the shirt. When they each had their Pop outfits on, they started putting on the outfits they were going to wear during the first half of their performance. For once Rachel agreed with something. Whoever picked the wardrobe out had been spot on.

 

Keeping with the No Strings Attached theme, they were wearing replicas of what the guys had worn during the tour. They were dressed as puppeteers. Oversized silk-like black pants complete with brightly sparkly patches sewn on. Rachel and Erin wore white button up shirts. The buttons were over embellished. Over the shirts they each had a black vest that matched the pants. The vest also had patches sewn all over. The lapels were also sparkled. Danielle and Meeghan had white button up shirts as well, but they had on black suit coats over. Whitney wore a black shirt beneath her suit coat. The coats were adorned with sparkly patches as well. On their hands they wore white gloves with the fingers cut off and they each had hats. Erin wore a top hat, the others were less pronounced.

 

~*~

 

"Any guesses on which singer she has?" Lance leaned over across Rachel's empty seat so he could speak with JC.

 

JC shrugged. He held his wife's clutch purse in his hand as he shifted in his seat so it wouldn't fall to the floor. "I want to say us, but that's the obvious guess. I'm not too sure."

 

"I hope its Backstreet Boys," Joey jumped in with a grin. "Imagine the headlines, 'NSYNC Sister Performs Tribute to Rival Boy Band'"

 

"'Wife of NSYNCer Performs Tribute to Rival Boy Band" Michael grinned.

 

"You just don't want her to do NSYNC because she'll sing better than you," Melissa teased. She had to keep herself from bouncing in her seat. She was beyond excited and couldn't wait to see her best friend perform. She was slightly jealous Rachel got to learn the dances but there was no way she was getting up on stage and performing. Not in front of all these people and definitely not in front of her husband and the rest of the guys. She knew that was the biggest reason Rachel was so nervous; performing in front of the guys and knowing this was going to be watched and picked apart over and over. If the group had still been together, it wouldn't have gained as much attention. But it was the first time the five of them had been together in a long time.

 

"She'll prolly shake her ass better than you ever did." Chris piped up.

 

"Everyone can shake their ass better than Fatone." Justin spoke up leaning forward. He placed his elbows on his knees, turning his head to look down the line of his former bandmates. He gasped in shock, the effect ruined by the teasing glint in his eyes. "What if she got the Bass rhythm?"

 

"Fuck you," Lance shot, half teasing.

 

"Maybe JC rubbed off on her," Justin said causing Chris and Joey to break out into laughter. He reached across his wife nudging JC, grinning as the older man blushed.

 

"I bet he has multiple times," Joey laughed.

 

"Guys, this is my sister," Lance shook his head.

 

"Newsflash Bass, she's been banging JC's bony ass for a long time now," Chris snorted; sending Karly a cheeky grin when she smacked his shoulder.

 

"How do you know my ass is bony?"

 

"Please, I doubt your ass has changed over the years."

 

"You and C have a thing we didn't know about?" Justin asked.

 

"Fuck no!" Chris denied quickly.

 

"Maybe he wanted to," Joey grinned. "Chris was hot for JC's body. He wanted C up against the wall."

 

JC leaned an elbow on the arm rest, burying his head in his hand as he listened to the conversation around them. For a moment it felt like old times with the teasing and ribbing. "He's not getting near my ass..."

 

"Baby, don't say things like that," Chris lowered his voice. Before he could continue with the joke, Karly smacked him again, pointing toward the stage. He turned around in his seat and looked up at the stage where their name was on the backdrop. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed everyone else in the row sit up and turn their attention to the stage. It was time.

 

There was a short introduction before a video was brought up. They listened as other people in the industry, other mainstream artists talked about them. While they talked, snippets of their videos were played, shots of them on the red carpet and some of their performances. The video was soon over, the screen going black as attention was turned back toward the lone man on the stage.

 

"I happened in on the rehearsal of our next act and you'll be... amazed. Truly amazed. Hard work and dedication went into this and I will be surprised afterward if each and every one of you isn't on your feet. There was no better choice. Sit back and prepare to be blown away, folks." He walked off the stage as the lights darkened.

 

"Melissa, I didn't know you felt that way about me," Chris teased in the darkness.

 

"In your dreams Christopher," Melissa laughed taking Joey's hand.

 

Chris's eyes adjusted to the darkness as the stage shifted. "Hey," he grinned seeing five people suspended from the air. "That looks familiar."

 

"You need me to hold your hand?" Joey asked, teasing the older man. It was well known he was afraid of heights.

 

"Shut up," Lance hissed, his eyes trained on the figures in the air. They were limp and unmoving. He remembered this part from their No Strings Attached tour well.

 

"Blown away?" Michael leaned closer to his boyfriend. "Was that a play on Rachel's tour or just words?"

 

"No idea..." Lance spoke as the Pinocchio song started.

 

I got no strings to hold me down

To make me fret, or make me frown

I had strings

But now I'm free

There are no strings on me

 

The figures dropped down toward the stage; still limp and unmoving. The lights were still out so no one could tell who any of the five figures were. Pinocchio started singing again, this time the figures on the ropes started moving their hands. On Pinocchio's last line the figures were completely on the ground hunched over. Unlike when NSYNC did this, the figures on stage unhooked the harnesses from their bodies. In the dark you could see the harnesses rise back above the stage.

 

There was no movement for a couple seconds. Each member of NSYNC sat up waiting for the lights to come on revealing the singers. They each knew what was coming; they'd done the exact moves each and every time they opened a show on their No Strings Attached tour. Three different drum beats sounded and the figures straightened on stage at the same time as the lights came back on.

 

JC jaw slackened in shock seeing Rachel in the center. Shock soon gave way and he grinned widely. He had been hoping this would be the case. He had wanted Rachel to perform their songs. He just didn't say anything for fear his assumption had been wrong and make her feel bad if she had been slated to perform someone else.

 

"Aw yeah!" Joey grinned seeing Rachel standing tall. "Shit's about to get real up in here."

 

Lance and Michael looked at each other, trading grins. She was the perfect person to do this. He had hoped she had been picked for them but there were so many reasons why he didn't think she would be. The smile stayed on Lance's face as he watched his sister and the others go through the movements of releasing the ropes. When he heard them sing one line at a time with the movements his grin grew. Their voices blended together perfectly.

 

"Which one's supposed to be you?" Michael asked quietly as the five moved on stage, snapping their fingers to get in position. When Lance pointed, he followed his finger to the girl with green lapels on her coat.

 

"Aw man!" Justin exclaimed with a grin seeing one of the girls remove her top hat revealing a white bandana complete with jewels on the front. There was another slight pause in the music before it exploded and the five girls launched into the opening dance.

 

"Holy crap!" Chris exclaimed watching the girls break into dance. Their excitement could be seen through their movements. They were fluid and fun. The music slowed before Rachel started singing.

 

"I see the things he does to you," Rachel sang, moving her body to the movements she'd been practicing for two months. She knew the guys were staring at her but she couldn't force herself to make eye contact. She kept her eyes above the rows of people. Her heart was nearly beating out of her chest. "All the things he puts you through."

 

JC watched proudly as his wife danced and sang up on stage. He was unable to take his eyes off her, following her around the stage. This was so different than what she was normally used to. It wasn't easy to sing and dance at the same time. Now he understood why she was so tired after rehearsals.

 

"This is fucking awesome!" Chris exclaimed. "Why'd they pick this song though? We have others that were more popular?"

 

"There's more than one," Melissa answered. "Oops," she said seeing Joey and Chris look at her.

 

"You know! And you kept it from me!" Joey feigned hurt. He couldn't be mad. This was the best surprise.

 

"She'd kill me if I told. Just trust me; there is more than one song..."

 

Joey looked back at the stage just in time to see the group finish the song with their backs to the crowd. They were frozen in the exact spots the guys had used to end that song many times. "It's like they raided our closets."

 

"Just wait until the clothing change," Melissa slapped her hands over her mouth. "You didn't hear that."

 

"You're all I ever wanted," Rachel sang with her back to the crowd. "You're all I ever needed, ye-ah. So tell me what to do now cause," she dropped out as Danielle started off the harmonies with her low range. When each one joined in the harmonies, they reached up taking their hats off tossing them aside. "I want you back."

 

"Oh my God, look at those moves," Justin laughed as they started dancing to their very first song. If you put the moves from I Want You Back up against one of their later songs you could see the complete difference in their dances.

 

"She has red hair!" Joey shouted pointing to the Asian girl.

 

"I find it funny that the person portraying you is a young, Asian chick," Lance laughed. "Hey..." he said looking at her more closely. "Isn't she one of yours?" He asked JC.

 

"Hey, she was in my commercial!" Justin exclaimed, eyeing the girl. To promote the release of his new CD with Target, they found talented singers to sing his songs. They thought they were just going to sing them for the commercial. They had no idea he was going to surprise them. And surprise them he did. It had been a fun afternoon.

 

"Yeah," JC grinned when he recognized Meeghan from his group.

 

"How lucky is she," Michael drawled. "JC's group, Justin's commercial and now this."

 

"Rachel's voice sounds better than your nasally one," Chris joked, grinning broadly when he saw Justin's finger in the air.

 

"These moves left a lot to be desired," Lance said dryly as the chorus ended and the song went into the short dance break. He watched them move in position. "Uh oh...."

 

"Meeghan dropped her on her ass the first time they did that," Melissa volunteered as the flip went perfect. She could see Meeghan's proud smile for not dropping her.

 

"That's alright, Lance dropped me on mine," Chris volunteered. He spent most of the time watching Rachel, but he'd let his gaze slip to the lovely lady that was supposed to be him. Her braids bounced in the air causing him to grin.

 

After sparing Meeghan a glance, JC's eyes were glued back onto his wife. Her blonde hair whipped around, bouncing with her movements. It was slightly nerve-wracking not knowing what songs or verses were coming up. He felt a blush cover his face when he mouthed his verse to I Want You Back and Rachel slid seamlessly into his from Tearin Up My Heart.

 

"She's definitely got moves like Chasez," Justin mused aloud.

 

JC's grin widened hearing Justin as the chorus ended and the girls slid into the slow bridge part, slowing it down even more. He knew it signaled the end of the song. The best part as they sang and slowly moved positions, Rachel's eyes drifted toward him. When their eyes met, his smile softened and he winked. He watched as her lips curved into a smile.

 

"And no matter what I do, I feel the pain with or without you," Rachel sang slowly. She risked a glance at JC. She saw the smile he sent her, could see his blue eyes sparkling. When he winked, it settled her nerves. She turned her attention back to the music so she wouldn't miss the cue. The music between the songs was short. There wasn't much of a lead in to This I Promise You. As they sang the chorus, she felt it was safe enough to drift across the faces of the other members. What she saw warmed her heart. They each had wide smiles on their faces, pitched forward in their seats, eyes riveted to the stage. She was pretty sure that no matter what happened during the rest of her medley, she did them proud. But that didn't mean she was gonna slack through the rest.

 

"No-o-o 'til the day my life is through, this I promise you. This I promise you," she closed her eyes as her voice rose. "Over and over I fall. When I hear you call, without you in my life baby, I just wouldn't be living at all..." When the bridge ended she opened her eyes through the short instrumental break. Her green eyes immediately found JC's. She saw the approval written across his face. That was one song she was always afraid of singing because JC sang it so beautifully himself. They sang only once through the chorus. Instead of raising the octave at the end as the regular song went, she lowered it and slowed it down for Erin to sing the final words.

 

"Anyone else happy that we sang that song first?" Justin said, keeping his eyes toward the stage. No one answered him, but he could see their heads nodding in his mind.

 

"Hey," Joey smiled as he heard Rachel's voice start singing 'I Thought She Knew'.

 

"This wasn't in the first version," Melissa squeezed Joey's hand. "She added it when her and Wade revamped the medley."

 

"Wade?" Lance's head whipped around to look toward Melissa.

 

"Robson is 'The Warden'?" JC questioned.

 

"Who else would have been a better choreographer," Melissa blushed again. Now that Rachel was on stage performing it was hard to keep the secrets her best friend trusted her with.

 

Joey sang along with Meeghan softly as she sang his part. Their voices went together nicely. They weren't as fined tuned as NSYNC had been but after being thrown together and only practicing for two months, they were pretty great.

 

"Aw yeah," Chris grinned hearing the falsetto. His eyes locked onto the ebony-skinned beauty as her voice rang out above the rest. When the girl with the bandana picked up Justin's part after his, they started moving again and he found himself guessing what song was coming next.

 

"Will you calm down," Joey squeezed his wife's hand.

 

"I can't. I'm excited! After hearing Rachel talk about this for two months..." Melissa nearly shrieked out loud.

 

"I don't recall you being this excited watching me up on stage singing these songs," Joey said dryly, sparing his wife a glance.

 

"Because Rachel's prettier to look at than your ugly mug," Chris chuckled. "She makes me dance in my seat too."

 

As the 'oo's of I Thought She Knew sounded, they gripped their white shirts. The buttons were decorations. The shirts fastened with Velcro for easy removal. The vests were sewn to the shirts. The tops came off in one piece. When practicing they noticed the ending vocals for I Thought She Knew where they played with the octaves on the word 'knew' sounded like the slow down in Pop right before they went into their dance break. They quickly pulled off the puppeteer tops revealing the formfitting t-shirts beneath them. They were similar, playing off each other. Rachel wore a sleeveless shirt with a half zipper in the front. There was yellow splattering with a big D &G written at an angle going up, standing for Dolce and Gabbana. At the shoulder seams and the back was completely black. Erin had on a black silk-like t-shirt. Danielle had a graffiti laced t-shirt as well with more gold coloring. Whitney wore a black sleeveless shirt, while Meeghan wore a white t-shirt with red sleeves. Across her chest in red lettering was the word 'player'.

 

"She's been in my closet!" Joey said seeing the shirt. He remembered that shirt well. He wondered if he still had it. He loved t-shirts with funny sayings on them; sometimes the raunchier the better. "Did you give her that shirt?"

 

"Yeah right Joey," Lance laughed. "You try to wear that shirt you're big ole belly would be hanging out."

 

"Well we all don't have a young stud we have to keep up with. Besides," Joey grinned. "Mel likes my big ole butt."

 

"Man, I'm tired of singing," Erin stated. As she looked around, each of them ripped off their pants, which had Velcro on the sides and tossed them away.

 

"Oh my God!" Lance laughed seeing his sister in the obnoxiously loud yellow pants like JC had worn during the VMA's where they had performed Pop with Michael Jackson. The pants were bright yellow with a blue crotch area that went down the inner things. The knees were black almost looking like knee pads. Then there were black stripes down the outside legs.

 

"Who wore them better!" Chris shouted drawing stares from those around him but he didn't care.

 

"How does it feel JC, to know your wife wore something better than you?"

 

"I don't know how he feels, but I'm feeling pretty damn happy," Joey grinned.

 

"Your eyes better rise above the Mason-Dixon line," Melissa said underneath her breath.

 

"Well don't tell him that, Melissa," Lance spoke. "We all know Fatone's a boob man."

 

"Just remember who she's going home with," JC broke into their conversation. He understood the comments. The yellow pants fit her like a second skin through her hips and thighs. The showed off her figure well. The weight she had lost was definitely noticeable in this outfit.

 

The weight loss and being so tired definitely made more sense to him now. This was their sixth song in the medley and they'd danced four of them. But he couldn't believe that was his wife up on stage dancing through these moves. She nailed them all. He wished he had known she was doing this. He wished he could have been in the rehearsal hall watching as she learned them; even helping. He wasn't sure what would have been better, watching her through rehearsal and helping or being surprised like he was.

 

When the move came to be on the floor in a push up position but with their legs spread his eyes caught a glint of something hanging down from Rachel's neck. He stared but he couldn't quite lock his eyes on it as she moved around. When the part came for them to mimic removing a shirt he stared at the medallion hanging around her neck. He remembered back to earlier in the night before she had to go back stage she pulled something from her purse, holding it so he couldn't see. It had to have been his necklace.

 

"Over under on how many people notice the necklace," Lance spoke.

 

"What necklace?" Chris asked scanning the ladies as they went into the chorus.

 

"Shit, C; is that your Leo necklace?" Justin eyes followed Rachel, trying to lock onto the necklace but she bounced around on the stage with as much energy as JC had. "I didn't know you still had that."

 

"Of course I do," JC said. It was one of his most prized possessions. He reached up to touch his neck, even though he hadn't worn the necklace in nearly ten years. His eyes met Rachel's briefly and he saw her steps falter.

 

Rachel quickly shook off the misstep as she moved. JC had noticed the necklace around her neck as she knew he would. She skipped to the V-formation with Erin in front. She was in the second row, behind Erin on the left side. As they sang 'this must be', they each tucked one foot behind the other. Their right arms extending downward palm our while the left went across their chest in a short version. Instead of putting their arms above their heads for the end of 'pop', the music immediately went into It's Gonna Be Me.

 

"Wow," Chris shook his head as the transition went smoothly into another of their songs. This was their seventh song, all big dance numbers. He could see the sheen of sweat covering the girls' faces and he could just imagine how worn out they were. They still had energy. He hadn't seen any of them slow their pace. They danced just like it was the very beginning of the performance.

 

"I wanna run up there and hug her," Melissa stated. "This is just...awesome." None of the guys could disagree.

 

As Erin rolled out of the point and Rachel took her place for the second verse, she didn't have to make sure she smiled. She caught JC's gaze again and the smile automatically appeared. "But you're just," she bent over at the waist her blond hair flying through the air. "Too blind." She straightened her hair flying backward. It was so hot with her hair down, but that's how the wardrobe wanted it. "To see. In the end you know it's gonna be me. You can't deny so just tell me why." On the final three words she moved backwards as the group spread out again, leaving Danielle and Whitney in the front.

 

"It is possible for her to be nominated for an award for this?" Michael questioned. He was in fact blown away as the presenter had mentioned before this had started. "She should have gone last."

 

"Sucks to the ones that go after her," Lance grinned wryly. He was definitely glad not to be in the following act. If he had been, he was sure to just throw in the towel. No matter who went after Rachel and how great they were, they would be lacking.

 

"She needs to go pop," Justin stated as the chorus ended and they went into the dance break. His feet and hands itched to do the same movements. Movements he wasn't sure he really remembered; it had been so long.

 

JC snorted at Justin's words. "There is a zero percent chance of that happening."

 

"Damn C; she can definitely work the crowd. I'm not saying her music isn't great now because it is, but she can, without a doubt, be the megastar that's missing right now in the pop world."

 

JC didn't bother with a reply. Rachel's place was in country music; she loved the genre. He knew he would never pull her away from that love to sing pop songs. He didn't even want to. Country was where Rachel's loyalty laid. There might have been a few songs of hers that crossed over onto the Pop charts and he took the blame for those considering he helped lay the arrangements.

 

"There come a day when I'll be the one you'll see..."

 

"My favorite part!" Melissa squealed. She loved 'the lean'. "That's it; she's teaching me."

 

"Are you forgetting that I can teach you?"

 

Melissa chuckled at her husband patting his cheek. "You don't remember."

 

"Bye bye (bye bye)" Their voices echoed as the music made a switch for the final time. They quickly moved from the lean into their positions for Bye Bye Bye. Danielle, Rachel and Meeghan lined the front, while Erin and Whitney were in the back. There was definitely more energy as the dancing started. Each knew this was the final song. The end was near.

 

"I'm doing this tonight, You're prolly gonna start a fight. I know this can't be right hey baby come on." Rachel sang snapping each of the movements, making them stand out. "I loved you endlessly. Then you weren't there for me. So now it's time to leave and make it alone."

 

"Didn't you grab your crotch right there, C?" Chris asked. "I wonder why she cut that out."

 

"Gee, I can't imagine why," Lance said dryly.

 

"Now I really want to get up there and dance," Melissa said moving a little in her seat to the music.

 

"Oh come on, they cut out the finger!" Chris stated. "The crotch grab and the finger were the best parts in that song!"

 

"You're not serious are you?" Karly asked her fiancée.

 

"Can you imagine the backlash she'd get if she did those two moves?" Michael stated. "They'd forget this whole performance and latched onto those two seconds."

 

Chris grinned when he heard two feminine voices yell out 'Come on' and 'what' during the chorus. That had been his and Joey's ad lib during some of the performances of that song.

 

"I don't wanna be a fool, in this game for two," Erin sang. "So I'm leavin' you behind." As she sang the final three words on each syllable she snapped her arms around mimicking pushing the other girls away.

 

"Wonder if they told her to go mess with the band or she did that on her own," Justin mused watching as Rachel went to the back of the stage where the band was. JC had always done that.

 

"I didn't even notice the band back there," JC said truthfully. As he looked he noticed his wife's name on the bass drum of the drum set. An unbelieving smile graced his lips and he shook his head. The music was being performed by Rachel's band. Unbelievable. He turned his attention back to his wife as she made her way back up front.

 

"Bye bye," Rachel held the syllable for four seconds before moving on. "Baby." The 'a' sound was held for a second or two before completing the word.

 

JC heard Rachel's voice slightly waver on the extended note and knew she was tired. He wasn't sure if anyone else caught it but being around her singing, rehearsing and studio work, he knew how her voice sounded when it was starting to fade. The mash up, along with the five concerts she had in the last week had certainly taxed her voice. He hoped she wasn't losing her voice; especially since her tour was just now started up again.

 

"That ain't no lie. Baby bye bye bye. Bye. Bye." The five of them froze on the stage in the V-formation NSYNC was known for. Danielle and Meeghan were in the back; their outside hands raised straight up in the air at an angle, their fingers spread wide. Whitney angled in front of Danielle, her right hand straight off to the side. The final two spots were switched up. Normally Justin ended up as the point man, while JC stood behind on his left. But since Rachel was the leading person, she and Erin switched spots. Erin stood in front of Meeghan. Her arm angled up in front of her.

 

Rachel stood front and center with her legs slightly more than shoulder width apart. Her arm was straight out in front of her; fingers splayed. The smile on her face was wide. The keyboard held the final note as the drum played rolled on the cymbals. Her chest was heaving as she gulped in precious oxygen. Sweat rolled down her face but nothing kept the smiled off her face. The audience was on their feet cheering loudly before the band ended the note with a couple drumbeats. The music fell away and they dropped their hands coming to stand together in a line.

 

"Fucking awesome!" Chris shouted as he jumped to his feet clapping wildly.

 

"Wooo!" Joey cupped his hands around his mouth as he yelled. He whistled between his lips as he clapped.

 

Rachel heard the guys' shouts above the audience. She bowed slightly, the rest of the girls joining her. When she came up, her eyes met JC's. She was sure he couldn't clap harder than he was right now. His eyes shone brightly and she wondered if there was a layer of tears in them. The thought of him crying caused a lump to rise in her throat. She let her eyes slide close briefly, a tear escaped and rolled down her cheek. She moved the microphone away from her lips raising her fingers to them and blew him a kiss.

 

She knew they didn't have much time before they had to get off the stage so the show could continue. She wanted nothing more though than to jump off the stage and go to JC right now. 'Love you,' she mouthed; her eyes never leaving JC's.

 

JC placed a hand over his heart; his grin softened into a smile. He was so in love with this woman. 'Love you.

 

Lance didn't both to hide his emotions when Rachel caught his eye. It would have been useless anyway. They had never been able to keep anything hidden from each other. A tear trickled down his cheek from the corner of his eye. He made no move to brush it away. He watched as the five took one more bow. His sister brought both hands to her lips before spreading her arms in their direction, blowing them all kisses. With a final wave to the crowd she disappeared backstage.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: wallsex postsync originalcharacter marriedjc