Author's Chapter Notes:
Lance starts a fight with his inner demons and Annaleigh auditions for the *NSYNC band.

January 5th, 2000


So how’s everythin’ goin’ over there?” Lance draped his arm over his eyes, pressing his cell phone into his ear as he let out a heavy sigh. Darren chuckled on the other end of the line. “That bad, huh?”

“This is harder than anything else we’ve ever had to do, that’s all,” Lance said, dropping his arm onto his stomach. “Wade’s really been pushing us with choreography this time around.”

Uh oh. How’re you holdin’ up?”

“I’m not that bad anymore…I guess,” Lance said, twisting his mouth to the side. He tapped his thumb against his stomach as he stared up at the ceiling. “Wade knows how to break things down whenever I need help or anything like that. I’ll admit, we all didn’t think he’d be that great, he looks so young, but the guy’s danced with Michael Jackson, he knows what he’s doing.” Darren let out a low whistle. “Yeah.”

Has Ace had her audition, yet?”

“No, Johnny hasn’t asked her to play for him yet,” Lance replied, shaking his head from side to side despite knowing that his friend couldn’t see the movement. “Honestly, I think he’s seeing how well she fits in with us. She’s been working her butt off, though; not just with the bass, but making sure we stay alive.”

Annaleigh had quickly made a difference in the house. The place wasn’t as messy—there was still trash and clothes lying around—the food was better, and their laundry was clean more often. And they hadn’t even asked her to do it. Lance just knew that it was how she was raised; to know that she could go out into the world and do whatever it was she set her mind to, but knows that it was ok to stay at home if she wanted.

While music was clearly something she’s always wanted to take part in, she also learned to take on chores at home to prepare herself for when she would need to take care of her own family. All the same, he knew that it was just her way of saying “thank you” for giving her a place to stay and for helping her with her audition.

Lance let out a small laugh. “But, who really knows what Johnny’s thinking,” he mused. “He’s always keeping one secret or another from us.” Lance slowly lifted an aching leg and crossed it over the other. “He’s come over a few times to get us to start preparing for tour and getting back into the studio. Our first single is releasing soon, too.”

You nervous?”

“You have no idea,” Lance replied, letting out a tired sigh.

They all were, whether or not they wanted to show it. It was their first single release after everything that had happened with Lou. It was funny, they had all just wanted to forget Lou and forget what he had done to them, but no matter how hard they tried he kept popping back up.

First album after Lou.

First single after Lou.

First concert after Lou.

When it all came down to it, everything was because of him. They would never have had Johnny Wright as their manager without him. They wouldn’t have kick started their careers in Germany. They wouldn’t have anything if Lou Pearlman hadn’t seen something special in them. They all knew that they wouldn’t be as successful without Lou, and they all knew that he would probably be brought up in every interview from here on out.

Lance was brave enough to rip up his check from his ex-boss that day, but despite how badly he felt, he knew that Chris had to have felt a million times worse. If it wasn’t for him, *NSYNC wouldn’t be around. Justin and JC were the leaders of the group, but no one could deny that the group, in a way, was made for Chris.

You ok?

“Just tired,” Lance replied. “How’s everything back home?”

Ohh, it’s the same. Meredith has moved ta Nashville to start work on her album,” Darren replied. “Not that that’s really a big surprise, huh?

Lance felt a new sense of energy slide into his body. Meredith Edwards was in Showstoppers and Attaché with the two of them. She had a lovely voice and showcased her talent as one of *NSYNC’s opening acts during their first US tour. She had that perfect country twang in her voice, but she had a unique poppy style to her songs that got people’s attention.

“Not really,” Lance agreed, a smile coming to his face, “but that’s great. I’m happy for her. She always said she’d move out there, I just wondered how long it’d take.”

I’ve heard some parts of her song, they’re soundin’ really good. Whole town is proud of her. And you, too. Everyone’s lookin’ to see what it is that you boys can come up with. And ta see if Ace makes it in.

“No pressure there,” Lance replied with a roll of his eyes. He then slowly pushed himself up into a sitting position, resting his back against his pillows, his abs muscles burning. “So, uh, Ace told me that you kissed her.”

Not too surprised ‘bout that,” Darren said after clearing his throat. Lance could hear a small laugh in his voice. “That was nothing. It was innocent.

“You know how she feels about you,” Lance said. “Well, now you know. What would be the point to get her hopes up if she was going to leave?” He got silence of the other end. Lance removed his phone from his ear and glanced at the screen to see if they got disconnected. “D? You still there?”

I’m still here,” Darren replied after a moment of silence. “Lance, I didn’ do that jus’ to play with her…I’ve always liked her.”

“You…what?” Lance asked, his eyes popping. He suddenly sat up in bed, letting out a loud groan as his sore stomach muscles moved. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

Yeahhhh,” Darren replied, holding out the word. “I am. I’ve always had feelins for her. I never noticed at first cause…well, I guess I was just a stupid teenager. Then I jus’ always thought she was sweet on you so I never did anythin’ ‘bout it.

“Me?” Lance repeated.

Come on, I mean, I called her Bookworm and Anal-Lee and teased her every chance I got,” Darren continued. “I mean, sure, at first I was being a bratty kid, but later on, it was…I don’ know, fun.” Lance heard him sigh. “I kissed her as a way to let her go. And because I’ve wanted ta do it for a while.

“Have you told her that?” Lance asked, running a hand over his face.

Naw.” Lance could picture Darren’s face scrunching up as he shook his head. “I’ve been there for her while you were out on the road, it’s your turn, Lance. ‘Sides, I know how busy your schedule is, when Ace gets the job; she’d be just as busy. Wouldn’t know when I’d get to see her if I wanted ta start somethin’ up.

There wasn’t any sadness in Darren’s tone; Lance could tell he was being realistic about everything. His life really was busy and hectic and as a result he had missed being there for his friends at an important time in their lives.

So new tour, huh? Probably’ll have more girls than ever flockin’ to see y’all perform.” Lance could practically hear the smile in his voice.

“Ha, yeah,” Lance replied, letting out a weak laugh. “Joey and Chris will have a good time. And I’ll be hearing about it for days on end. Justin’s with Britney, JC is still on and off with Bobbie and I’m-”

Free as a jay bird,” Darren replied, interrupting his friend.

“I was going to say not interested in sleeping around, but that works, too,” Lance replied with a short laugh.

Jus’ take the time to get ta know a girl. No strings or expectations or anythin’. Can’t remember the last time you’ve been out on a date.

Lance opened and closed his mouth. It had been a long time since he had been on a date. Last he remembered was going to homecoming with his friend, Lacey. That wasn’t really a date though; just two friends spending a night out with their large group of friends. He had a good time with her…whenever he wasn’t thinking about the fact that Lynn Harless and Justin Timberlake had called to get him to try out for *NSYNC. Lacey didn’t seem to mind, she was having enough fun at the dance.

When he did date, he was considered to be a “safe date.” He never tried anything; he’d give nothing more than a quick kiss on the cheek at the end of the night, but nothing more. Sure, it had made him popular, but he was simply raised that way. He treated girls the way he wanted boys out there to treat his sister.

“Yeah, it’s been a while,” Lance finally answered. “Doesn’t look like Ace is going to have that problem; Wade took one look at her and was smitten.” Darren let out a loud laugh.

Knowin’ Ace, she’s not goin’ to make it easy for ‘im,” Darren commented.

“Trust me, she hasn’t,” Lance replied, his lips curling up into a smile. “Honestly, I think she’s going to make him work hard for it.” He laughed. “As he should. It’s how it’s done in the South.”

“Uh oh, don’ tell me you’re getting’ all hip-hop on me,” Annaleigh commented as she came into Lance’s room, blowing on her fingers. “You’ve been spendin’ too much time with Justin.”

“What’s the matter?” Lance asked, giving her a curious look.

“My fingers are burning,” Annaleigh replied, belly flopping onto his bed. “And my throat is killing me. JC had me doing those weird vocal exercises—“

“The ‘Moo’ exercise?” Lance asked, arching an eyebrow and she nodded.

“I felt so stupid doing those,” Annaleigh added.

“Good, that means you were doing them right,” Lance laughed before holding the phone out towards her. Annaleigh took it gingerly in her fingers before holding it up to her ear.

“Hey, D,” she greeted him. Lance watched as she rolled her eyes. “Because you always call at this time.”

Lance closed his eyes, leaning back against his pillows as he listened to them talk, a smile coming to his face. It was almost like being at home again, the three of them hanging out. Maybe four if Darren’s sister was with them. He could practically picture them all sitting around a fire at the Back of 80 or drinking beers at the firehouse.

Every time he left home to work, it became more and more life a second life.

Or like a dream.

Ow!” Lance shouted seconds after a stinging slap was sent to his leg. He snapped his eyes open and looked over at Annaleigh. “What was that for?”

“Did you tell D about Wade?” Annaleigh asked, setting his phone down onto the bed, pressing a button on it. Lance could hear his friend’s breathing on the other end as he nodded his head. “Why?”

“Come on, it’s cute,” Lance laughed. “The guy is smitten. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“You heard what Johnny said,” Annaleigh said to him. “No romantic entanglements or whatever.”

First off, since when do you follow the rules perfectly?” Darren asked, his voice echoing around the room. Lance gave Annaleigh a pointed look and she briefly closed her eyes, glancing at the ceiling, a smirk coming to her face. “Second; you’re not even part of the band yet so it’s not like you’re breakin’ any rules.” There was a shuffling sound on his end of the line. “I’ve gotta go, I got an essay I need to get writin’. I’ll call y’all later.

“See ya, D,” Annaleigh said, pushing Lane’s phone back towards him.

Lance picked it up in his hand and bid goodbye to Darren before hanging up the phone. “So, how’s things with JC going?” he asked.

“I’m goin’ to find ya a girlfriend,” Annaleigh said, propping her head up with her hand. Lance blinked in surprise at the sudden change in topics. He gave her a confused look and she gave him a smile. “So you can stop messin’ with my love life.” She clicked her tongue. “JC and Justin have really been helpin’ me out. Couldn’ thank em enough for the help.”

“You can’t wait around for him forever,” Lance replied, lifting a hand to scratch at his eyebrow. “Seriously, Ace.” He pressed his lips together for a moment.

He wanted to tell her about Darren, but didn’t think it’d make any difference. What would be the point of getting her hopes up at such an important part of her life? On the one hand, he knew how happy it’d make her, on the other hand, it wasn’t great timing. And he was allowing her to further her career.

“I think you like him more now that he was there for you after everything with your mom,” Lance continued, realizing she wasn’t going to say anything. “What happened with your mom? You never told me.”

“Went to help D pack up to head down to UMiss,” Annaleigh replied, “and when I got back, all her stuff was gone. Not much more to it than that. No note or anythin’. Wasn’t ‘till a couple days later she finally called to apologize ta me.”

She pursed her lips for a moment. “For a while, I thought it was my fault. Like there was somethin’ I was doin’ wrong. But, then I couldn’ think of anythin’ and it really hit me that I could really jus’ be them. Thing is, I couldn’t begin ta believe that they jus’ fell out of love with each other, ‘cause I know they still do. God must have a different plan for them then I thought.”

“Everything happens for a reason,” Lance said, patting the spot beside him. Annaleigh moved to lie down beside him. “You’ve got home here, so it’s not too bad.”

“You’re the best, James,” Annaleigh said quietly before poking him in the side. “I’m still goin’ to find you a girlfriend.”

Lance closed an eye, wincing slightly. “You don’t have to do that,” he said quietly.

He loudly cleared his throat before turning his head to look at her. Just tell her. She’s your best friend. Heat rushed up his body and he could feel his armpits prickle and flood with sweat. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. What would she say? How would she react?

Annaleigh suddenly let out a groan. “Just pray for me,” she said to him.

“Sure,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. Pray for me, too. Long and hard.

“So, is it going to be normal to find her in your bed all the time?” Joey asked with a smirk as he stepped into Lance’s room.

“You’re just jealous,” Lance replied, giving Joey a lazy smile. Annaleigh let out a loud laugh. Joey smiled, briefly closing his eyes, shaking his head, looking as if he was trying to stop himself from laughing. He then jumped onto the bed, causing it to shake.

“Johnny just called,” he announced, rubbing his eye. “Wants you to audition for him tomorrow.” He then reached out a hand and slapped the top of Lance’s foot. “Tour meeting, too. Press and stuff for the new single and No Strings Attached and setting up photo shoots and finishing up in the studio and stuff.” Lance made a noise in the back of his throat, rubbing at his eyes.

That’s what you’re callin’ your new album?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

“We’ve had our strings cut, baby!” Joey cheered, punching the air with his fist before reaching for the earring in his ear. “We’re not God damn, puppets! We’re people.”

He enjoyed doing press and photo shoots, but they took sooo long to do. It was always a daylong event, sometimes two days as they spent the whole weekend doing pictures of magazine after magazine, website after website, and much more.

 Doing all of that around finishing recording their album, which they were scheduled to finish in about three weeks. It was all just stacking on top of each other. It was already making him so exhausted, but he was excited at the same time. They were finally making the album they wanted to make. They were calling the shots.

Joey was write, they were free.

Lance lifted his hand into the air, letting out a, “Whoohoo.”

Joey then put a hand over his mouth. “Whoops, sorry. I said, ‘God damn’.”

“Shoot, whoever told you you’re funny…you aint,” Annaleigh said, sitting up. Joey’s eyes popped open, and his jaw dropped as Lance threw his head back, letting out a loud laugh. He clapped his hands together, kicking the air with his legs, ignoring his aching muscles.

“I like her,” Joey said, pointing his finger in her direction. “I think she’ll make a great addition to the group.” Annaleigh gave a bright toothy smile over her shoulder.

“So do I,” Lance replied.

“And Joey and Chris are helpin’ keep me sane,” Annaleigh said, reaching out a hand to pinch Joey’s cheeks. “You guys are fun. I can see why y’all are so close.”

“Yup, just like husband and wife,” Joey said with a nod of his head. “Nah, we’re like brothers. We get on each other’s nerves, but I know they’ll have my back no matter what.”

“That’s right, brother,” Lance replied, lifting his hand, curling his fingers into a fist. Joey smiled, bumping his fist with his own. If you can’t tell your brother, who can you tell?


 

January 6th, 2000

“Start whenever you’re ready.”

Annaleigh nodded a few times, flexing his fingers over and over again before placing them on the strings of the bass in her hands before removing them, flexing her fingers again.  The microphone let out a squeal of feedback as the neck of her guitar bumped the stand.

“S-sorry,” Annaleigh said her voice cracking as she looked over at Johnny, who was sitting behind the glass wall in front of her. Justin, Joey, Chris, and Lance sat behind him, watching her. She let out a slow breath, closing her eyes before whispering a quick prayer, shifting her weight from foot to foot.

“Hey.” Annaleigh turned her head over towards the piano that JC was sitting at. He was watching her, eyebrows knitted together, a look of curiosity and worry on his face. “You’ll be ok. You’ve been working hard. Nerves are normal, just get through it.”

He stepped over to her and lowered his voice. “You’re not alone, sweetheart. Sorry, uh…Ace. We’re all pulling for you,” he said. “Ok? Johnny just wants to see what you can do, which, is pretty impressive for someone who hasn’t been playing long. You’ll be great, ok? Have faith in yourself, we all have faith in you.”

“Yeah, girl, you can do it.” Justin’s voice suddenly came through the speakers. Annaleigh turned her head and laughed when she spotted him practically laying on top of Johnny to reach the buttons on the switchboard. “Show us what you’ve got.”

“You can do it, Ace, just stay calm,” Lance called.

“You’ve got it,” JC said, gently squeezing her shoulder. “Just take a deep breath in.” His chest swelled as he sucked in a breath or air. Annaleigh did the same before letting it out. “Good. I’m ready when you are.”

“Ok, I’m ready,” Annaleigh said, reaching to twist a tuning knob on the bass. She adjusted the strap, bringing the bass up higher, and gave JC a nod.

“Start whenever you’re ready,” Johnny repeated. “Let’s hear it.”

“Girl, would you quit worryin’?”

Annaleigh blinked as an orange basketball was shot at her face. “Naw, now I haveta worry ‘bout breakin’ my nose,” Annaleigh replied, bouncing the ball at her feet a couple of times before chest passing it back to Justin. “That’ll be a great first impression.”

“Haha, no one could forget you in that case,” Just said with a shrug, bouncing the ball between his feet. He then turned and pushed off the ground, easily sinking a layup before passing the ball back to her. “Quit trippin’, seriously. Your audition was great.”

“Yeah, we’ll see,” Annaleigh replied. She flipped the ball into the air and as it bounced against the ground, she adjusted the waistband of her shorts. She caught the ball in her hands and pushed off the balls of her feet, shooting the ball towards the basket, making a face as it bounced off the rim. “It’s almost six; didn’t Johnny say he’d call around this time?”

“Chris, your personal secretary,” Justin said, rolling his “R” as he gave a bow, “are fielding all the calls, don’t worry.” He clapped his hands together before holding them out towards her. “Now. You. Me. Basketball.”

“Yes, Tarzan,” Annaleigh replied, thumping her chest with her fist, lowering her voice.

She did the best she could with her audition, but she couldn’t help but wonder what it was that she did wrong. The questions came flying out of her mouth the minute she stepped out of the sound booth. Johnny had reassured her that she did well. It was just knowing that the CD in his hands had her audition on it, and he was leaving the room with it, really put everything into perspective.

She didn’t have control over it anymore.

That was her problem; she just wanted to have control over everything, or just to have everything laid out in front of her. She simply didn’t like not knowing things.

“Alright, bring it on, Shorty,” Justin said as he passed the ball to her.

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked, straightening, giving him a confused look. She gasped when Justin slapped the ball out of her hands and quickly turned to sink a layup. “Heyyyy.”

“Tarzan two, Jane zero,” Justin grunted, thumping his fist to his chest. Justin jogged after the basketball as it rolled into the grass. “You’re really tweaked about this.” He lifted the ball and spun it on his finger. “We’ve got a lot to prove, too. It’s like C said, you’re not alone, literally.”

“I just don’t want ta have ta go home after all that,” Annaleigh replied. Justin chuckled, walking over to her. He mimed tossing the ball towards her, but pressed the ball into her chest.

“I’d be surprised if Johnny didn’t pick you,” Justin said to her. “He and Lance were talking about you for, like, half an hour after you were done.” He lifted his hand to adjust the beanie on his head. “I’d say you’ve got the spot.”

Annaleigh looked around the front lawn of the compound as golden rays from the setting sun started casting long shadows over the grass and driveway. A gentle breeze blew and she lifted her hand to wipe the sweat from her forehead before adjusting the strap to her sports bra before planting it on her hip. She lifted her watch to her face.

6:00pm.

“It’s six,” she said, turning to glance at the house.  “It’s six. Johnny’s goin’ ta call at any minute. Oh my go-oh my stars!” She practically started to fan herself.

“Girl, would you chill?” Justin said with a laugh, taking a step back from her. “You’re worse than C when he’s had too many pixie sticks.” He bounced the ball a couple of times on the ground before lifting it, trying to roll the ball across one arm, across his chest, and then to his other arm. He then tucked the ball under his right arm, lifting his left hand to adjust the earring in his left ear. “And, trust me, that’s bad.”

Annaleigh then jumped forward, smacking the ball out from his arm. She aligned herself up at the side of the basket, and pushed off the balls of her feet, shooting the ball upwards. She watched as the ball arched through the air, bounced off the rim, and slide through the next. “Naw, that’s bad,” she said, giving him a smile.

“Lucky shot,” Justin grumbled.

“Shoot, I know it was,” Annaleigh replied, giving him an odd look. “I’m terrible at basketball.”

“I wasn’t goin’ ta say anything,” Justin said with a grin.

“I thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied, her eyebrow twitching upwards as she relaxed into a smile. “Do you miss bein’ home?”

“All the time,” Justin replied with a nod of his head and a shrug of his shoulders. “At first I had my Ma with me all the time, if you remember, but I’m missing home more now that you’re here.” Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “Your accent.”

“Ahhh, I see,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head.

“Figure you’d have to have problems with your family or something if you didn’t miss it after you leave,” Justin commented, scratching at his bare chest. “Your family’s always going to be there, you know?” Annaleigh’s eyes narrowed slightly as he set the ball on the ground, sitting down on top of it. He rested his arms on his knees. “You really didn’t know about your dad’s band?”

“Not a thing,” Annaleigh replied, with a shake of her head. “Why?”

“Just find it kind of weird,” Justin replied with a shrug. “I mean, his band was pretty big.” He lifted a hand to scratch the side of his jaw. “I think I have one of his albums around somewhere if you want to check it out.”

“That’d be awesome, Justin,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Justin replied. He then lifted his foot, grasping the ball between his hands to keep his balance to tap her knee. “You’re from the Mississippi, you know as well as I do that family is important. The way I see it, you’ve been a part of the *NSYNC family since I met you. I always said Lance’s friends are my friends.”

“Y’all are too nice,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. “I guess now I can see why all those girls throw themselves atcha.”

“It’s not like we’re ugly,” Justin said with a snort.

“That’s debatable,” Annaleigh shot back and Justin’s eyebrows shot up.

“Ouch,” he said with a laugh. “Barely know Chris and you’re already raggin’ on him.” He lifted the corners of his lips into a smile, throwing a wink in her direction. Annaleigh laughed. “There we go, mission accomplished. I bet for five minutes you haven’t thought about Johnny or your audition.”

Annaleigh’s laughter slowly died down, but she kept the smile on her face. In that moment, she couldn’t imagine going back home. Everything in Orlando was different; it was just…different. The city was so big and it felt as sunny as it was. While in Clinton she did have the sense of security knowing the whole town was looking out for her, but it was also better to know that she could go out and get in trouble without having her parents find out about it before she could make it home while living in Orlando.

She stopped to really think about that. *NSYNC are the hottest band on the planet, people are trying to find out any little piece of information on them, she thought, tapping her finger to her chest. Wouldn’t surprise me if Johnny had eyes all over the place, making sure they weren’t getting into trouble. And dad shouldn’t be home by himself…

Clinton and Orlando were both places she liked being in, it was just hard choosing one or the other.

“Guys,” Chris called making his way out of the house, waving the phone in his hand. “Johnny wants us all dressed and at Jive Records in half an hour.” He tapped the antenna against his teeth before pointing it over at her. “You, too.”

“How did he sound?” Annaleigh asked, instantly making her way towards him. “Did he sound happy? Was he talking in a sad tone? What?”

“Ok…” Chris said, giving her a weird stare. He looked over at Justin who shrugged. “He sounded like Johnny?”

“It’s girl-talk, I don’t get it either,” Justin said with a shrug as he got to his feet.

“Ok, Curly-Cue,” Chris said with a laugh. “You’ve been dating Britney for how long? And you don’t know what any of that means?” He grinned. “That is if you even have any time to use your mouths for anything other than kissing.”

“Alright, listen, Pineapple-Head,” Justin said, giving Chris a smug smile. “First, you’re just jealous.” Chris hiked an eyebrow, looking Justin up and down. “And second…” Justin trailed off, his smile fading slightly. “Brit’s the brains of the operation, I just kinda, smile and nod in all the right places.”

“She’s trained you well, Poodle Boy,” Chris said, letting out a bark of laughter. Justin clicked his tongue, looking like he wanted to insult Chris back, but merely stuck his tongue out at him. “Anna, I’d get in the shower first if I were you.”

“I don’ mind waitin’ for everyone,” Annaleigh replied.

“Trust me, you don’t want to be in there after Joey,” Justin said with a laugh, shaking his head. He moved towards her to put his hand on the small of her back, pushing her towards the house. “Go on, ladies first. We better get used to it.”

“And I better not find any hair in the drain, young lady,” Chris said, wagging a finger in her direction. “It’s already bad enough having to clean up after Joey; I don’t need to do it for a second person.”

“I’m goin’, I’m goin’,” Annaleigh said, putting her hands up defensively, making her way inside the house.

She showered and changed faster than she had before. She removed the mirror from the wall and leaned it up against the leg of her bed, sitting cross legged on the floor in front of her. She threw on a light amount of makeup, capping it off with a layer of lip gloss before attacking her hair.

“And here I thought Justin was the one that always took the longest to get ready,” Lance joked as he stepped into the room.

“Hair up or down?” Annaleigh asked, looking at his reflection. She gave him a questioning look, hair splayed over her shoulders before she gathered her hair into her hands, holding it up.

“Definitely up,” Lance replied. “If you want to go for the budding country star look.”

“Is that what this looks like?” Annaleigh asked, stretching her legs out in front of her, resting her bare feet against the glass of the mirror.

“You saw how Johnny was dressed when he came over here,” Lance said with a small laugh. “T-shirt, jeans, his baseball cap. He’s always laid back, but knows when to lay down the law. That’s what we like about him.”

Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side as she peered at Lance’s long sleeved red shirt and jeans and then down at her high waist flowy white skirt and jean shirt. “Figured if I didn’ get the part, he’d at least remember be as lookin’ professional,” Annaleigh commented.

“He’ll remember you if you act like yourself,” Lance replied. “Give me your bag.” Annaleigh reached under her bed and grasped the strap to her bag. With a single tug, she pulled her bag out and pushed it towards Lance. He lifted it and dug his hand through the top before throwing a dark green beanie at the back of her head, shortly followed by a matching sleeveless shirt.

“Now, that’s more you; the same girl I would go creek stomping with, and who wasn’t scared to gut a fish for dinner.” Annaleigh relaxed into a smile. “You’ve never let anything stop you from doing what you want to do, even if they don’t turn out the way you want.” Lance smiled at her through the mirror. “Hair down. And keep the skirt.”

“Since when did you become so fashionable?” Annaleigh asked as she got to her feet. She smoothed out the back of her skirt as she turned to face him. “I’ve seen what y’all wore in y’alls first photo shoots.” She shook her head, letting out a low whistle.

“It’s what I get for hanging out with you and Jasmine so much,” Lance replied with a short laugh. “Go change and meet us outside. I’ll tell the boys to give you good compliments.”

“Well, if things go south, I’ll at least remember y’all be to pretty decent fellas,” Annaleigh said with a laugh before making her way back into the bathroom, kicking the door shut behind her with her foot.

She quickly changed out of her jean shirt and into the green sleeveless shirt. She tucked the end of her shirt into the waistband of her skirt before sliding the hat over her hair. She hurried to slip on a pair of high tops and grabbed her purse, hiking it over her shoulder as she made her way out of the house.

Minutes later, she found herself sitting in Johnny’s office at Jive records, looking at plaque after plaque of golden albums: New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, and more. She was barely listening to what Johnny was saying to them. She occasionally bobbed her head in a nod, muttering an “mmhmm” every once in a while, but she couldn’t parrot back what it was he was saying if she was to be asked.

Suddenly, a thick stack of papers was sitting in front of her, making her jump. She looked up at Johnny, who was holding a pen out towards her.

“Sorry, what’d you say?” she asked him.

Johnny laughed quietly. “I said that you, Little Lady, had impressed all of us with what you were able to do,” Johnny replied. “The same rules that I had said at the compound still applies.”

Annaleigh hesitated, her hand hovering above the pen. She slowly reached out and took it with a shaking hand, using her free hand to pull the stack of paper towards her. Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose before placing the tip of her pen to the paper.

“If it makes you feel any better, we had my uncle read through our contracts with Jive after…well, everything,” JC said, speaking through the silence of the room. “He’s a lawyer. He helped us out the first time. I mean, we trust Johnny, but it was just to cover our bases, y’know?”

Annaleigh looked up at Johnny and he slowly nodded his head. Seeing that, Annaleigh pressed the tip to the paper and signed her name in her loopy, flourish of handwriting. She stared down at her signature before setting her pen down onto the stack of papers, pushing it back towards Johnny.

“Welcome to the *NSYNC band,” Johnny said as he gathered the papers, tapping them against the table. “Congratulations.”

Annaleigh grinned.

Her dreams were starting to come true. And she was doing it with her best friend.

Chapter End Notes:
I went back and forth over whether or not I was going to show Annaleigh's full audition, and decided to just do a flashback for it. I hope you're all not too mad. I might do it as a deleted scene.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited sequel love nsasync jealous originalcharacter boybands bestfriendl