Author's Chapter Notes:
Annaleigh deals with Lance returning home for Christmas.

December 14th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

 

“You ok, Ace? You’ve been really quiet, today.”

Annaleigh turned away from the display in the store window before shoving her hands into her coat pocket, looking over at Darren. One eyebrow lowered as the other shot up. “Is that weird?” she asked him.

“Because it’s you; yes,” Darren replied. “What’s up, Ace? It’s almost Christmas.” She didn’t answer. “Your favorite holiday? The day you can drink egg nogg like it’s going out of style?”

Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose, two puffs of condensation swirling through the air. “What do you get someone for Christmas when you’re not even friends with them anymore?” she asked, pulling her jacket closer to her body. “I mean Lance. How do you buy a gift for someone that has enough money to buy anything he wanted?”

Darren blinked in surprise, taking a “Since when aren’t you guys friends?” Darren asked, a confused look taking over the look of surprise.

“We haven’t really talked since he left Clinton, Chippendale,” Annaleigh replied as he fell into step beside her as she started making her way down the street, her shoes crunching over the loose gravel under her feet. “I don’t know how he could even still consider us friends.”

“I barely talked to him, but he’s still my best friend,” Darren protested. “He was just busy, you know that. Plus, he came back to Clinton every chance he got.” He put a hand on her shoulder, stopping her. “You were the one that didn’t want to see him, Ace.”

Annaleigh pressed her lips together for a moment. “I was busy, that’s all,” she replied, her eyebrows shooting up.

“And he wasn’t?” Darren replied. Annaleigh rolled her eyes, continuing down the street, at a faster pace. “You knew what would happen if the band took off.” He hurried after her. “Now, don’t get too big for your britches, girl.” He grasped her arm again, and again, she stopped to look at him. “He didn’t abandon you here. I know you got to thinkin’ he did, but he didn’t.”

“You make it sound like I’m not happy for him,” Annaleigh said with a scowl and Darren crossed his arms over his chest. “I went up to DC for the trial, remember?” She knew that was a big of a stretch.

She didn’t even try and go to talk to him after everything wrapped up. As soon as he spotted her, she darted. It wasn’t like she didn’t want to talk to him, it was that she didn’t know how to talk to him. She hadn’t seen him in so long, she didn’t even know how to bring up…well, anything and everything with him.

“Look, you two used to be like two peas in a pod,” Darren replied, adjusting the wool hat on his head. “You both wanted to get out of Clinton and he’s been able to do it. He’s gone through a lot, so have you. Given recent circumstances, I think it’d be best for both of y’all to talk. Besides, it’s Christmas filled with family and good cheer and all that.”

“…Do you think he’ll want the new Trace Adkins CD?” Annaleigh asked after a moment of silence, her upper lip curling slightly. She then pouted. “I hate it when you’re right.”

Darren grinned. “Naw, you just hate bein’ wrong,” he replied. He then put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. “Now, why does everything have to be one-sided with ya?”

“Wanna ask that again?” Annaleigh asked, driving her elbow into his stomach before peering up at him, a smirk coming to her face. “Last I checked, you were the one that didn’t return my feelings.” Darren gave a half smile in reply. “Talkin’ bout things bein’ one sided.”

“Guess I deserve that,” Darren commented pursing his lips for a moment before suddenly turning to head into a small café. He pulled the door open, a small bell chiming before motioning for her to head inside. Annaleigh turned on her heels and headed inside, sighing when she was met with a blast of warm air. “Truth?”

“Please and thank you,” Annaleigh replied, making her way over towards an empty table, settling down into one of the wooden chairs. Darren sat down across from her, removing his hair and coat.

“Always thought you were takin’ a liking to Lance,” Darren replied and Annaleigh’s eyes popped open. “What?”

He’s got to be kidding, Annaleigh thought to herself, feeling her jaw drop slightly. “D, you’re nuttier than a fruitcake,” she commented, before angling her head to look up at the waitress as she came over. After they both ordered a hot drink (her apple cider, and him hot chocolate), Annaleigh grabbed a napkin, starting to play with it. “I’m surprised you didn’t realize how I felt ‘bout you. I was…pathetic, really. But, I was thirteen…fourteen, so…”

Darren gave a short laugh. “You were followin’ Lance ‘round everywhere,” he commented, running a hand over the back of his head.”So, I jus’ assumed.”

“I did everything  I could to get your attention,” Annaleigh commented, with a sigh, an amused look crossing her face. “Lance always told me to tell ya, but…I don’t know, I thought you’d eventually realize or somethin’. I got over it, though. I can only be called Bookworm for so long.” She tore the napkin into little strips. “I hung around with Lance, partially because I knew you’d be around, and partially because Lance is…comfortable.”

Darren arched an eyebrow.

“Lance always looked on the bright side of things, you know? He always had this self-confidence that I wish I had. He always worked hard and everything paid off for him. Hard to not have that rub off on you. Only, here I am, three years later, same old Annaleigh, stuck in this same old city. While Lance was out on the road, I felt like nothing had changed; only I was getting to learn all about Germany and Europe. Then the letters slowed, and stopped and I had to face the fact that I’d have to face life alone.”

“I tried hard to keep hold of what’s what I considered to be normal and safe, do what my dad wanted me to because going out to Orlando really didn’t help me out all that much. But, you know me, as stubborn as ever. I didn’t want to give up singing or music, so I tried to stay in contact with Lance. I knew it was because he was busy, but I just started to take the lack of response personally. It was like I was stuck while you and Lance were moving on and doing what it was that you wanted to do. I started thinking, ‘Why would a super star want to talk to a girl like me? A girl stuck going nowhere fast?’ Even when he was back in America, it was like, despite being home, there was no way I could talk to him.”

She then blinked, when the waitress came back and set their steaming cups of hot beverage onto the table. She gave the woman a smile of thanks before raising the warm mug to her lips. She blew on the top of hot cider before carefully tipping her cup, allowing some of the drink into her mouth. She squeezed her eyes shut slightly when the apple cider burned her tongue and throat.

“Besides,” she said with a cough, her eyes watering, “It’s not like he even really tried to get in contact to me after a while. He was back home during my birthday last year. It’s not like he stopped by to see me or to even send a card. I mean, you at least called.”

“I…can’t argue with that,” Darren replied, slowly nodding. “But, for someone who’s supposedly mad at the guy, you seemed to have been making sure you picked a good Christmas gift for him.”

“And another thing,” Annaleigh said, slapping her hand down onto the table. “I haven’t gotten a Christmas gift for him or even a call on New Year’s.” She wrapped her hand around her mug of apple cider before tapping her the side with her fingernails.

“And you say you don’t hold a grudge,” Darren commented, lifting his hot chocolate to his lips. Annaleigh gave him a pointed look and he set the mug back down. “Look, just give the guy another chance. We’re the Three Musketeers remember?” Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side before moving her apple cider to her mouth. “What are you more mad at: the fact that Lance couldn’t talk to you because of his success or because Lance has had huge success?”

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked, pushing a burst of steam into her face as she breathed into the apple cider. But, she heard what he said. Loud and clear. “That’s not it.”

“You sure about that?” Darren asked. He then put his hand up into the air, shaking his head back and forth. “Forget it, forget I said anything. We were supposed to have a good time; to hang out and catch up while I’m on break. I don’t want you mad at me, too.” A sly smile then came to his face. “Although, I bet I could fix that with some mistletoe or-“

“Shut up, Chippendale,” Annaleigh laughed, shaking her head back and forth.  “You’re just lucky I decided to spend my day off work with you.”

“I’m flattered,” Darren replied, putting a hand over his heart. He shared a smile with her before turning his head to look out the window they were sitting by. “So, you going to head over to the Bass’ house on Christmas Eve? Come on, it’s a tradition: caroling, exchanging gifts, the hayride. It’s the first time in a while all three of us can do it.”

“…I’ll think about it,” Annaleigh replied after a moment of silence.


 

“Dad, I’m home,” Annaleigh called as she stepped into her warm house.

She turned and waved towards Darren—who was sitting in his truck in her driveway—and waved her hand. He honked the horn to his truck before backing out of the driveway. She set her bags down on the ground and made her way into the living room, giving her dad, Ryan, a smile, unzipping her coat.

“Hi, sweetie,” Ryan replied turning away from the TV before looking past her. “Darren didn’t want to come in?”

“He had to get going, but he says, ‘hi’,” Annaleigh replied as she moved to set her coat down onto the arm of the chair. “I didn’t have work today so I got some Christmas shopping done.”

She rubbed her hands together before looking around the living room. There wasn’t a single Christmas decoration in sight. No lights, no wreaths, and no tree. She twisted her mouth to the side as she moved to sit next to him on the couch. She propped her feet up on the table in front of her, crossing one leg over the other, making sure not to knock her foot into her dad’s cast.

“Do you need anything?” she asked, looking up at him. Ryan smiled back down at her before placing a kiss on the top of her head.

“I’m fine, sweetheart,” he replied before resting his head on top of hers as he turned back to the TV. Annaleigh glanced at the TV and held back a groan when she recognized *NSync’s Ntimate Holiday Special was playing. “What about you?”

“Yeah,” Annaleigh replied, slowly nodding. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You, uh, got a card in the mail today,” Ryan said, clearing his throat a couple times before nodding towards the mantle. Annaleigh looked over to see a red envelope leaning against the brick wall in between all the birthday cards that lined up on the ledge. “From your mother.”

Annaleigh wrapped her arms around her dad’s waist and hugged him, burying her face into his chest. “I’ll open it later,” she replied, smiling as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Do you think she misses us?”

“I’m sure she does, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied quietly, lifting the remote from his stomach to change the channel. He let out a sigh through his nose, resting the remote against his stomach for a moment before tapping his stomach with it. “I’m sure she does.” They were silent for a moment and then he said, “She had asked if you wanted to spend Christmas with her in Texas this year. But, after the accident and everything…I know you miss her, I just need some extra help around here for a little while.” He wiggled the toes in his cast. “Just until I get back up on my feet.”

“I understand, Daddy,” Annaleigh replied, hugging him tighter. “It’s ok.” She then sat up and looked around the room. “I’ll…I’ll pick up some extra shifts at the restaurant after Christmas, work until New Year’s. We can buy the good fireworks again. After bills, it should be enough.”

Ryan closed his eyes for a moment before peering down at his daughter. She looked up at him and frowned when she saw the look of pain in his eyes. “You shouldn’t have to do that,” he said quietly, shaking his head. He pressed his lips together for a moment before letting out a shaky breath of air. “I know this hasn’t been easy for you.”

“It’s fine, dad,” Annaleigh replied into his chest. “Don’t worry about me.”

“It’s my job to worry about you, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied, lifting a hand to brush some of her hair out of her face. “I just want you to know that everything will be ok. I promise.”

“I know,” Annaleigh replied quietly. “I love you, daddy.”

“Love you, too, Sweet Pea.”

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it took me a little while to update this guys. I hope you guys liked the chapter. I do not own Darren Dale, his family, Lance's friends and family, aor any other celebrity. I only own Annaleigh's family and storyline.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited sequel love nsasync jealous originalcharacter boybands bestfriendl