Author's Chapter Notes:
New Year's in Mississippi and Hawaii.

December 31st, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi


 “We have to get goin’ soon,” Annaleigh said to Jasmine as she dropped down onto the blanket covered rock beside her, a beer bottle in her hand. “If we wanta be back to ring in the New Year with everybody.” She held her hands out towards the fire that blazed in front of her, heating the two of them despite the cold weather around them.

“Relax, it’s New Year’s Eve, you should be celebratin’,” Jasmine said with a smile. She lifted a hand in a wave as some Sumner Hill Junior High students walked past them, blowing into party horns, glow sticks hanging from around their necks. “Or is this about Lance?”

Annaleigh pressed her lips to the mouth of the bottle, tilting her head back to allow the amber liquid to slide down the back of her throat. Her throat burned and her eyes watered slightly as the alcohol hit her senses. “Why would it be about Lance?” she asked as she lowered the bottle.

They were spending their New Year’s at the fire tower along with many other Sumner Junior High and Clinton High students. There were various bonfires around the clearing. Cars were parked along the trees, doors open to blast loud country music. Glow bracelets, necklace, and sticks were handed out to everybody as they arrived.

“Maybe because you guys got inta an argument before he left to finish out his tour?” Jasmine replied, hiking an eyebrow. “It’s a new year, Ace, why don’t you try and start things over? We’re entering the new mi-len-i-um join the ride. At least call him.”

“A call one New Year’s isn’t goin’ to help anythin’,” Annaleigh protested.

“So, let me get this straight,” Jasmine said, rolling her shoulders. “After the *NSYNC showcase, he went off to Germany to pursue his dream, became bigger than what any of us thought they’d be, and you’re mad about that?”

“No, I’m-“

“You’re mad because with his success he was so busy he couldn’ stay in contact with you?”

“That’s not it-“

“Ok, so you’re mad that he was trying to fulfill your dreams by getting’ you an audition to be part of his travellin’ band,” Jasmine continued, tapping her finger nails against the dark bottle in her hand. Annaleigh tried to talk over her again but Jasmine practically shoved the beer bottle into her mouth to stop her.

“God, damn it, Jazzy, I think you chipped my tooth,” Annaleigh said as she grasped the bottle in her hand, running her tongue over her top row of teeth.

“So, what’s the problem?” Jasmine asked, ignoring Annaleigh’s complaint, throwing her hands into the air. “You know you want ta get outta Clinton, he knows you want ta get outta of Clinton, and the minute he managed ta give you that shot, you get mad at ‘im.”

“Why are you makin’ me sound like the bad guy?” Annaleigh asked before lifting the beer bottle back to her lips.

“Girl, I love you, and you’re my best friend, and I’ve always admired how proud ya can be,” Jasmine said, shifting in her seat to face Annaleigh, “but you can be pretty damn stubborn.”

“Like that’s anythin’ new,” Annaleigh commented and the two of them laughed. She took a long swig from the bottle, licking her lips. “I’m stubborn ‘cause for as long as I can remember, while my parents fought, I did everythin’ for myself. So, it’s weird to have someone else do something for me.”

Jasmine made a noise in the back of her throat before smiling as she recognized a tune that started playing into the clearing, encouraged by cheers from the students. “Oh, I love this song! I’m going to go dance.”

Before Annaleigh could say anything else, she jumped to her feet and skipped over towards the group of teenagers who started to dance along to the song, screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs. Annaleigh bopped her head from side to side along to the beat of the music, tapping her feet on the ground.

She watched the teenagers dance in a giant group, drink happily with each other, and run around with sparklers as they enjoyed themselves, bringing in the New Year, and the new millennium with as good a time as they could. While she was having fun, she did wonder what Lance was doing at the time. Was he getting ready for the show? Hanging out in the dressing room with JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey?

She, Darren, and Jasmine went to the *NSYNC concert in Biloxi, Mississippi, and she and Darren went to the show in Jackson, Mississippi and she couldn’t deny that Lance was meant to be on stage. She would never forget her time at either of those concerts; especially how long her ears rang after the concert. It was…magical.  She was happy for Lance and she always would be.

“You ok?” She looked up at Darren as he stepped over the log to sit down next to her. “You don’t look like you’re having much fun.” He quirked an eyebrow when he didn’t get an answer. “Still not talking to me, huh?” He stretched his legs out in front of him, crossing one over the other. “I don’t think you should be mad at us, I think you should be mad at yourself.”

“For what?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up. She looked up when another firework was shot off; bathing the two of them in a bright, white light.

“For being scared,” Darren replied with a shrug before lifting the bottle in his hands to his mouth. He took a few gulps before he lowered it, grasping it by the mouth of the bottle. He barely flinched when Annaleigh curled her hand into a fist, punching his thigh.

“I’m not scared of anythin’,” she said, to him.

“You can go creek stomping, mudding, and racing with the best of them, I’m not denying that,” Darren replied, putting his hand in the air. “You’re scared of what you don’ know. Liiike; why your parents fight, the bass audition, it’s why you won’t take the initiative and call your mom instead of waiting for her to call you, why you never told me you liked me-“

“I didn’t tell you because I don’t want ta be like my parents,” Annaleigh replied and Darren instantly stopped talking, giving her a curious look. “I couldn’t even tell ya if they still love each other or when they fell out of love, or if they just hate each other or what, but I don’t tell people that I like, that I like them because I don’t want ta end up like them.”

“What makes ya think we would’ve ended up like that?” Darren asked, his eyebrows knitting together into a look of confusion.

“We already are like that,” Annaleigh replied. “Taking digs at each other, arguing, it’s all we do.”

“Yeah,” Darren agreed with a nod of his head. “But, that’s just us.” He lifted his hand and indicated between the two of them. “It’s what we do. It wouldn’ change if we got together.”

“It’d get worse,” Annaleigh replied with a short laugh, shaking her head. She took a long sip of beer, smacking her lips before lowering the bottle. “It’d be more personal ‘n’ anythin’ would be fair game.  don’ mean to push you away, but it’s just…the insults are the only way to know I can make sure that doesn’ happen.”

“Stoppin’ yourself from being happy?” Darren asked. “That will make you happy?” Annaleigh stayed silent, shifting her gaze to peer into the fire in front of her. He reached out a hand and tapped her shoulder.  “It’s your turn.”

“Did you seriously just say that?” she asked him, her eyebrows shooting up.

“Yes, I seriously just did,” Darren replied with a nod.

“You’re actually tellin’ me when it’s my turn ta argue with you?” Annaleigh asked, pointing a light blue covered finger nail from her before prodding his jean clad thigh. “You’re such a loser, D.”

“Takes one ta know one, Kid,” Darren replied, making his voice as high pitched as he could get it.

“I hate it when you call me that,” Annaleigh said with, practically pouting as she kicked at the ground with her shoe.

“Why do you think I do it?” Darren asked with a pointed look and a smile. “Ace, you know it was hard for him ta leave after Christmas knowin’ you were mad at ‘im. We were jus’ tryin’ to help. You can’t fault us for that.”

“Can I fault you for bein’ right?” Annaleigh asked, her upper lip curling slightly.

“No,” Darren replied, smiling again, “but now I know I can gloat ‘bout it.” The corners of Annaleigh’s lips twitched upwards into a smile. “You’ll be great at that audition, you always are.”

 “Jus’ need to convince my dad to let me go.” Annaleigh lifted a hand and curled her fingers into a fist before punching his shoulder. “Just don’ gloat too or much or your head will get bigger than it already is.” She gave him a cheeky smile. “Might not like you as much anymore.”

“Why do you like me?” Darren asked, sliding his hands into the back pockets of his jeans. Annaleigh set down her bottle before turning to face him.

“Dimples,” she replied setting her hands in her lap. Her smile widened. “You better be nice to me or I’ll find someone in Orlando with dimples.”

“…I hope you don’t,” Darren replied.

“Yeah, right, like I could forget you,” Annaleigh replied with a roll of her eyes. Darren swirled the liquid in the bottle in his hands. He made a popping sound with his mouth before peering at her, holding out his bottle towards her.

“Cheers,” Annaleigh said, tapping her bottle against his, but she didn’t take a drink.

“You ready to go?” Darren asked after a moment of silence. Annaleigh nodded her head. “How much have you had to drink?”

“Like, six swallows,” Annaleigh replied, her nose wrinkling as she thought. She set her beer bottle on the ground, wiping her hands on her jeans. She held her hand out towards him and Darren reached into his pocket and retrieved his car keys, slapping them into her palm. “Go find Jazz, I’ll be right here.”

“Until you go to Orlando you mean,” Darren replied.

“Hey, you were the one who abandoned me for Ole Miss University,” Annaleigh pointed out to him, pointing his keys in his face. A hint of a smile came to her face. “Thought I could have some peace and quiet and then you came right on back right after mom left. Buuuut, I guess, I should thank you. For everythin’. So…yeah.”

“You’re welcome,” Darren replied. “You know Lance asked about you a lot. I didn’ tell him ‘bout your mom then, but his mom told him once he got back for Christmas.”

“Not surprised,” Annaleigh replied, her mouth twitching to the side, slightly. “I would’ve told him, but, I didn’ want to bring down what he was doin’ over there. I didn’ want him to be thousands of miles away worrying and not be able ta do anythin’. Or whenever he came ta visit, I didn’ want him ta leave knowin’ he’d be leavin’ this problem behind.”

 “But, you can’t push ‘im out of your life. Not after everythin’ you’ve been through.” Darren’s eyes squinted as he thought. “Or is that just easier for you? You push people away before they can do that to you?” He then patted her knee before getting to his feet. “I’ll go find Jazz.”

“Sure,” Annaleigh replied, quietly. She peered up at him before returning her gaze back towards the fire.

She looked up at Darren when he put a hand on his shoulder and blinked in surprise when he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers in a sweet kiss. An ache formed in the pit of her stomach as her eyes fluttered shut as she kissed him back. As soon as he pulled away, Annaleigh let out a breath of air, bowing her head to hide the smile that worked its way onto her face.

“What was that for?” she asked quietly, bringing up a hand to hide her burning cheek before looking up at him.

“Come on, Ace, its New Year’s,” Darren replied with a hint of a smirk.

Annaleigh looked down at her cell phone, pressing a button on the side to illuminate the front. “It’s not even midnight,” she said to him.

“It is somewhere,” he replied with a shrug before turning on his heels to look for his sister.

Annaleigh moved her hand to cover her mouth, clenching her teeth to stop herself from letting out a squeal. She slid the car keys into her pocket as she got to her feet and started tossing her phone back and forth between her hands. She then paused, looking down at her cell phone before using her thumb to flip it open. The key tones hit the air as she punched in a number, but paused before hitting the green button before lifting it to her ear

“Hi, is my mom, there?” Annaleigh asked, using her free hand to press her finger into her free ear. “Caroline Carr?”

 



Honolulu, Hawaii

Lance stared down at the phone in his hands, silently willing it to ring. He sat back in his seat, slumping slightly as he rested his cell phone on his stomach.

He looked around the concrete room as Justin Timberlake jogged in place, muttering to himself, over at JC Chasez, who was running scales to himself, at Chris Kirkpatrick who was miming through their dance steps, and then over at Joey Fatone who was talking to a girl who had managed to get the chance to come backstage to meet them.

He remembered when they first started out, they were so young, so naïve, and so excited about everything around them, they had no idea that they should be worried about the money they should be making. Not until it was almost too late, anyway. Now they were seventeen (Justin), nineteen (Lance), twenty (Joey), twenty-one (JC), and twenty-six (Chris).

“Come on, ring!” Lance said, lifting his cell phone again, practically screaming into his cell phone.

“Relax, Lance,” Chris said as he stopped what he was doing before making his way over to his friend, dropping into the seat beside him. “I swear, that thing would shit a data brick if it actually had feelings.”

“You’re lovely as usual, Chris,” Lance said with a brief roll of his eyes before turning his head towards the oldest *NSYNC member. 

“Aren’t I, though?” Chris asked with a bright smile and Lance rolled his eyes a second time. “So, you’ve been sitting over here waiting for your phone to ring for the past thirty minutes, when normally, you’re the first to get a hacky in. Waiting for a hot call or something?”

Or something, Lance thought to himself, briefly making a face when Chris punched him on the shoulder before he started laughing. “Waiting for a call from my mom, that’s all,” Lance replied.

“You’re lying,” Chris said, still laughing. “Unless you’re even more Southern than I thought.” Lance made a clicking sound with his tongue. “I’m kidding. Unless it’s some kinky thing you’re into then…”

“Just stop talking,” Lance said in a monotone. “I am waiting for my mom to call, Chris..and my friend, Ace.”

“There we go,” Chris said, nodding his head. “You’ve been distracted since you got back, knew it had to be about a girl.”

No kidding, Lance thought to himself. He looked up as Joey walked over with a blush blonde next to him. She was wearing a homemade *NSYNC t-shirt and really tight jeans. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder, knocking the large hoop earring that hung off her earlobe as she gave them a bright smile.

“Chris, Lance, this is Elizabeth,” Joey said, motioning towards the girl.

“Hi,” Lane said as he got to his feet, sliding his phone into his pocket. He slid his hand into hers and shook her hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Very nice to meet you,” Chris said, jumping to his feet to offer Elizabeth his hand. Lance caught Joey’s eye and the two of them hid the smiles that tried to work its way onto their faces. “I’m Chris.”

“Hi,” Elizabeth said, shaking Chris’s hand before turning towards Lance. “So, you’re from Mississippi. So am I?”

“Really?” Lance asked her, blinking in surprise. “Where from?”

“Biloxi,” Elizabeth replied, adjusting her purse a second time. “I’ve been to all of your shows there.” She lifted a hand to brush some of her hair behind her ear. “It’s so great to know that someone from Mississippi can go on and do something this amazing. You, uh, never really hear about people being from there.”

“I know what you mean,” Lance replied, giving her a polite smile. He watched as she messed with her hair a second time and let out a sigh through his nose. She was flirting, that much was obvious to him. It was rare to have any girl that came back stage to not flirt with them.

The two of them continued to talk about life in Mississippi, or rather she did more talking than he did. Nervous talking. At a couple of times during their—arguably one-sided—conversation, he just found himself nodding his head and adding an “Mhm”, “Uh-huh”, and “yeah” every now and then to make it seem like he was still listening. It wasn’t that he wasn’t interested in talking about his life in Mississippi, he loved talking to anybody that would listen about how great Mississippi was, but it was obvious to him when people tried to talk to him about it just as a way to find an “in” with him.

He wasn’t even sure when Joey and Chris had left the conversation, not that he could blame them, but suddenly, Elizabeth was rummaging around in her purse before pulling out an empty gum wrapper and a pen, quickly scribbling down on it.

“I’m really looking forward to your concert tonight,” Elizabeth said, holding the gum wrapper out towards her. “I’d…I don’t know…love to talk about it with you…maybe over ice cream one night?” She winked at him. “Give me a call.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, taking the gum wrapper. He gave her a smile slowly nodding his head. Elizabeth gave him a small wave before waving at someone over his shoulder before making her way back out of the room.

“So are you going to call her?” Joey asked, rapidly raising and lowering his eyebrows as Lance turned to face him.

“I don’t know,” Lance replied with a sigh, patting his pocket, feeling the outline of his phone. “I don’t think I’m going to.”

“Why not? She’s hot!” Chris said as if that solved everything. “You’re both from the same state so you have something to talk about. Match made in heaven, I’d say.”

“I’m with him,” Joey said, jerking his thumb in Chris’s direction who nodded enthusiastically.

“Just not interested,” Lance replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Chris paused, a confused, yet playful expression on his face. “What are you gay? You like guys or something?” he asked.

Lance stared at Chris, eyes widening, jaw dropping slightly. His armpits flooded with sweat and a rush of heat suddenly washed over his body. “No!” he finally managed to get out. “Dude!”

“Just asking,” Chris said before he got to his feet, clapping Lance on the shoulder. “I’d jump on the chance to call her. Might’ve been a good time.”

“Yeah, if you want to take her to the McDonald’s Play Place, Pineapple-Head,” Lance quickly cracked and Joey let out a loud laugh, clapping his hands together. “She’s, like, waaay younger than you.”

“He sure told you, Old Man,” Joey said, punching Chris on the shoulder.

“Yeah, yeah,” Chris said getting to his feet, giving Lance the finger. “Probably a good thing anyway, Ronald McDonald might be there.” He indicated Joey who’s hair was dyed a bright red. He stuck his tongue out at Joey. “I’m going to get C and Justin and start a hacky.”

“Don’t worry about him,” Joey said, his laughter subsiding as he crossed one leg over the other, crossing his arms over his chest. “There’s nothing wrong with people who are gay.”

“I’m not gay, Joey,” Lance said to him.

“I know, I’m just saying,” Joey replied with a shrug of his shoulders. He then uncrossed his arms and legs, leaning forward to rest his arms on his knees. “So, are you waiting for a call from Firecracker?”

“Who’s Firecracker?” Lance asked, his nose wrinkling.

“Your friend…Anna, or something like that,” Joey replied, waving his hand in the air.

“Annaleigh?” Lance asked, moving to take Chris’s empty seat and Joey put a finger to his nose. He laughed lightly. “You nicknamed her Firecracker?”

“Well, she is one!” Joey replied, his voice getting a little high pitched as he put his hands up defensively. “She’s the only person I know that can deal with Chris’s bullshit and barely bat an eyelash, not to mention she’s the only one who’ll actually talk back to JC when he tries to go all parental on her. Remember out showcase?” Lance bobbed his head from side to side, a hint of a smile coming to his face and Joey hit his knee. “So are you? Oh, and is she going to audition for Johnny or not? She was at the trial, right?”

“Good point, yes, not sure, and yes,” Lance said, answering each of Joey’s questions in order.

“If she’s as good as you say she is, then she’ll have problem getting in,” Joey replied waving a hand in the air. A devilish grin then came to his face. “Besides, we could use a girl around here. Something new to look at.” Lance scoffed, his eyebrows shooting up as he looked over at his best friend. “What?”

“Kelly?” Lance asked and Joey briefly looked at the ceiling.

“She knows I look but I don’t act on anything,” Joey replied, twisting his mouth to the side. A serious look then crossed his face. “Besides, she’d kill me if I did you and I both know that.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Lance agreed with a nod of his head.

“So, I thought things were rocky between the two of you?” Joey asked, indicating towards Lance’s pocket, where his cell phone sat. “Or were you able to hit it off when you got back home?” Lance let out a sigh through his nose. “I have to tell you, no offense, but I never pegged you to be the kind of guy to chase after the girl next door if you know what I mean.”

“One; I know what you mean, and two; shut up, Joey,” Lance said as he drove his elbow into Joey’s side. “It’s not like that. She’s my best friend. We’re just friends, that’s all.” Lance’s chest swelled as he sucked in a breath of air before letting it out. “Besides, she likes my other best friend, Darren—you’ve met him—so…”

“Are they together?” Joey asked, a curious look crossing his face.

“No,” Lance replied, shaking his head. “But, I can tell while I’ve been gone that they’ve gotten closer.”

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

 “Considering everything she’s been through, it’s a good thing,” Lance slowly replied. He then gave a shrug of his shoulders before scratching at his jaw. “Besides, I’ve known Darren for years, he’s a great guy. If there’s anybody I’d want her to be with, it’d be him.” He then quirked an eyebrow as he looked over at Joey. “Actually, for a little bit, at the showcase, I thought she liked you, but that would’ve been a disaster.”

“Hey!” Joey said, a mock look of offense on his face.

“You know what I mean,” Lance replied.

“Yeah, I guess I do,” Joey agreed, laughing lightly. He hit the side of Lance’s knee with the back of his hand. “Hey, I hope things work out between you two.”

“Thanks,” Lance said as Joey got to his feet. “I’ll be over to hacky in a minute.”

“Sure,” Joey replied with a nod of his head.

Lance reached into his pocket for his phone and pulled it out of his pocket, staring down at the face plate. “Come on, ring,” he whispered. “Ring.” He jumped when a second later, his phone actually started to vibrate in his hands. He quickly flipped his phone open and then put it to his ear. “Hello?”

You and Darren are the two most annoying people on the planet when you’re right, you know that?

“Hi, Ace,” Lance replied, a smile coming to his face. “I’ve left a couple messages.”

Yeah, I got ‘em. I’m not interrupting you am I?

“No, we go on in about a half hour, we just want to get a hacky in before then, and run through some last minute things,” Lance replied, waving his hand in the air. He then put his hand back into his lap realizing that she couldn’t hear him. “It’s become a tradition for us. So, am I late to say Happy New Year?”

No, you still have a half hour left. I just called to wish you a good show and…I’ll see you in a couple of days.

Lance’s heart skipped a beat. He pulled his phone away from his ear to look at it, and then put it back. “You’re coming?” he asked. “Your dad’s letting you out here to audition?”

After plenty of non-stop begging from me, Darren, and Jasmine as soon as we got home, yes.” Lance could hear her laughing on the other end of the line. “Luckily we timed it right where the adults around here have gotten their festivities on early enough for him to be pretty happy. I also have your parents to thank for their help as well; he’s goin’ to be stayin’ with your mom and dad while I’m gone. That’s southern hospitality for ya.

“Oh yeah, the New Year’s party at the fire tower,” Lance said, nodding his head. “Hope you all had fun.”

Wasn’ the same without your voice harmonizin’ with Reba.”

“Never going to live that one down, huh?” Lance asked, laughing lightly. “I’ll let you go. I don’t want you to miss the countdown or anything.”

Yeah, I don’ want you late for hacky or…whatever. So…I’ll see you in Orlando.”

“Bye,”  Lance replied before hanging up his phone. He set it down on the chair and made his way over towards his band mates. They opened the circle and Lance quickly brought up his knee to hit the hacky sack that flew towards him, sending it back towards JC.

“Finally got a call from her?” Justin asked, his eyes on the hacky sack. His head bounced around as he watched the hacky sack go flying through the air, waiting for his turn. He ran his hands over his short curls. “We goin’ to be seein’ her?”

“She’ll be meeting us in Orlando,” Lance said, clapping his hands together. “Hope this works out for her.”

“Hey, man, you know Johnny’s been seeing a lot of great talent out there,” JC said, scratching the side of his nose with his thumb. Lance nodded his head. Whenever JC talked, Lance listened. Everybody described him as being the most serious one in the group, and in a way, being a father-figure to them. He made sure they were where they needed  to be at a specific time…despite him being the one that was always asleep the longest. It was his role in the group.

JC paused to swing his arm forward, locking his elbow, knocking the hacky sack towards Joey’s chest. “I know you two are very close,” he continued, “but I don’t want you, either of you, to get your hopes up way too high thinking she’ll automatically get in, understand?”

“Yeah,” Lance replied, clapping his hands together. “I know. Thanks, C.”

“Anytime,” JC replied.


 

January 2nd, 2000

Orlando, Florida

Annaleigh let out a loud yawn as she rubbed at her eyes. “Yeah, I’m at the house now, dad,” she said into the phone, closing her eyes. “It’s late.”

I’m just glad you made it safe, Sweet Pea.” Annaleigh smiled as her dad’s tone filled her ear. She had her phone between her ear and shoulder, as the weight of her exhaustion crashed on her shoulders. “I miss you already.”

“Miss you, too,” Annaleigh replied, her breathing slowly evening. “If mom calls-“

I’ll have her reach you on your phone.” Annaleigh blinked rapidly, hearing the worry coming to her father’s voice. “She hasn’ called you back?”

“Mmm-mmmm,” Annaleigh replied, slowly shaking her head back and forth, careful not to dislodge the phone from between her shoulder.

Oh, I’m sorry, Sweet Pea. I’m sure she’ll call. Well, everythin’ here at the Bass home is goin’ well. Both James and Diane miss you as well and wish you well.” There was a pause on his end. “You know I can’t help but worry.

“Dad-“

But, I know with Lance there he’ll be sure to look out for you. Just be careful, Sweet Pea. Be careful, do your best, and have fun. All that matters is how well you feel about your audition. I know you; you get really…hard on yourself when it comes to you and your music. Try not to perfect anythin’, just allow yourself to show through the music.”

“Thanks, daddy,” Annaleigh replied.

Ok, well I’m goin’ to let you go and get some sleep. Call me tomorrow. Do you have Chip?

“I will,” Annaleigh replied before reaching for her bag, unzipping it. “I have him right here. Now would kinda be a bad time ta ask. Night, daddy.” He wished her a good night as well before she removed her phone from her ear before ending the call. She pushed Chip back into her bag before sliding her phone into her pocket.

She had gotten Chip from Lance and Darren when she and Jasmine were at home sick with the Chicken Pox when they were eleven. They gave her a stuffed cat which she named Purrl to acknowledge how white the stuffed animal was. Chip got his name from his dark brown nose.

Annaleigh glanced at the house before she reached for her bags. She pulled the strap to her gym bag over her shoulder, lifting her new bass—a Christmas gift—up onto her other shoulder, making her way up the driveway of the house, passing by a basketball hoop and some bikes lying in the driveway. She hurried up the walkway and up onto the porch, lifting a hand to press her finger into the button for the doorbell.

She sucked in a deep breath of air, letting out a loud yawn as footsteps thundered towards the door before it was pulled open, bathing her in light. “That’s attractive,” Chris commented, peering at her.

“Much like your face,” Annaleigh replied around the tail end of her yawn. Chris chuckled before stepping aside, motioning for her to go into the house. “Thanks.” She then set her stuff down on the ground before stepping towards him, giving him a hug. “Good to see you again, Chris.”

“You too, Firecracker,” Chris replied, lifting a hand to indicate the house. “Everybody’s…somewhere. But, Lance is asleep, so….” He trailed off, peering over at her. “And it looks like you’re about to fall asleep on your feet, Little Lady.”

“It’s late, why are you still up?” Annaleigh asked, blinking her burning eyes.

“Party doesn’t start ‘till at least 2:30,” Chris replied with a smile. He then suddenly gave a deep bow. “Where are my manners? Let me show you where you’re staying.” Annaleigh gave him a smile before lifting her bags, following him out of the foyer and down the hall. She could hear faint voices from all over the house, but couldn’t pinpoint where exactly they were coming from or who it was that was talking. “You, m’lady, will be staying in this guest room.”

“Thanks, Chris, you’re such a charmer,” Annaleigh said with a half smile as he put her stuff on the bed in the room he directed her to.

“I know,” Chris replied with a bright smile. “Let’s go see if we can find the others. Or do you just want to get straight to bed?”

“Might as well get this over with, I get the feelin’ that if they find out I got here last night without seein’ me someone—Joey—will jump on my bed in the mornin’,” Annaleigh replied, using her hand to brush her hair out of her face. She wrinkled her nose at the thought, her freckles forming a dark spot over her nose as they collected together.

“Nah, that’s a tag-team effort,” Chris said, with a short laugh.

“Silly me,” Annaleigh replied, deadpan. She followed Chris out of the room, twisting her hair up into a ponytail, reaching for the elastic band on her wrist to secure it.

Chris led her back out of the hall and towards the kitchen where, sure enough, Joey was sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowl of Chex. “Heyyy,” he greeted around a mouthful of cereal, milk dribbling down his chin. Annaleigh’s eyes squinted in disgust as he reached for a napkin to wipe at his chin. He chewed rapidly before swallowing, getting to his feet, opening his arms for a hug. “You’ve really grown up.”

“That’s what happens over three years, Joe,” Annaleigh replied as she hugged him back. “One thing sure hasn’t changed though; you still give good hugs.”

“The best,” Joey replied. A questioning look then crossed his face.“Have you seen JC and Justin, yet? They’re in the back studio.”

“Nah, Joe, I jus’ got here,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head.

“Let’s go, then,” Joey said, abandoning his bowl of cereal before leading Annaleigh back through the same hall that she had previously been to, making their way farther into the back of the house. Music was blaring from behind a closed door. Chris started dancing along to the music as Joey rapped his knuckles on the door before grasping the knob, twisting it, pushing the door open. “Guys! GUYS!”

He walked over to JC and tapped him on the shoulder before leaning past him, grasping a knob on the sound board  in front of him, turning down the volume. “Annaleigh’s here,” he explained to JC and Justin’s look of alarms, jerking his thumb over his shoulders.

“Whatever that was, it sounded great,” Annaleigh offered as she gave JC and Justin hugs.

“Thanks, sweetie,” JC replied and Annaleigh quirked an eyebrow in his direction but didn’t say anything. “We’re listening to some demos for our new album. Demos you may be playing soon.”

No Strings Attached,” Justin added, miming the cut of strings before he waved his arms in the air. “After everything with Lou-“ Annaleigh noticed the change in the air as soon as the name was out of his mouth. JC cleared his throat, scratching the side of his jaw. Justin shrugged. “Seemed fitting.”

“Clever,” Annaleigh said with a nod of approval. “Congratulations; with the court hearin’ ‘n’ everythin’. Sorry you had ta go through that.” JC merely waved his hand in the air before giving a shrug.

“We’ll let you get some sleep,” he said to her, “no offense, sweetie, but you look like you could drop at any second.”

“None taken,” Annaleigh replied, “because I definitely feel like it.” She then lifted her hand in a wave. “I’ll see y’all in the mornin’, I guess.”

She gave them a quick smile before making her way back towards her room. She kicked the door shut behind her and moved her bags to the ground. She quickly changed into her pajamas and turned off the light before climbing into bed, making sure to get Chip from her bag.

But she couldn’t get to sleep.

“Come on, buddy,” she said as she lifted Chip into her arms. She slipped out of her room and across the hall to the only other bedroom door that was closed. She quietly pushed the door open, tiptoeing inside to hear soft snores coming from the center of the darkness. She closed the door behind her and tip toped over towards the bed, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the dark. “Lance.”

“Hmm?” Lance gave a mumbled response and Annaleigh kneeled down beside his bed, nudging his bare shoulder. “Hmmm?”

“Roll over,” Annaleigh whispered and Lance did as she was asked. Annaleigh grabbed his blankets and lifted them before climbing into bed beside him. “Hi.”

“Hi, Anna,” Lance muttered into his pillow. Annaleigh’s eyes fluttered shut as the Lance’s body heat wrapped her in a comforting cocoon of warmth.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
And now we're moving onto the main plot of the story. I didn't mean for it to take this long to get to that part, but I'm glad you're all enjoying what I have so far.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited sequel love nsasync jealous originalcharacter boybands bestfriendl