Chapter Eleven

 

'Welcome Home Rachel' proclaimed the banner hung above the front door to Lance's house. Rachel smiled as she walked in front of her parents. It felt nice to be out of the hospital; that first moment stepping outside the hospital into the fresh air was amazing.

 

"It's so nice to be home," Rachel said staring at the banner. She dug her phone out of her pocket and snapped a picture. 'My brother is the best in the world.' She tweeted, attaching the picture. Her parents waited patiently. Her dad carried the duffle bag that had the rest of her things from the hospital. Yesterday before everyone had left, they had packed up all her things leaving only the bare minimal so when Rachel was discharged there wouldn't be a lot of things to take to the waiting car.

 

It had been weird being alone in an empty room. She had been used to having at least JC's flowers to look at. Unfortunately by the time she was able to go home, the blooms were dull and limp. With a heavy heart, she had told Lance to throw them out. Along with letters, fans had sent an over abundance of Teddy Bears. There was no way Rachel could keep them all. Armed with her wheelchair (Carrie put her foot down at her walking), Lance, Michael and a box filled with the Teddy Bears on her lap they made their way to the children's ward where they passed out Teddy Bears and visited.

 

Rachel turned the door knob and pushed open the door. It was strange not to hear the dogs barking as they rushed to meet her. Their tails wagged in hello and she knelt down giving them their customary greeting; ear scratches and belly rubs. The effects from the concussion still lingered as they would for weeks; the doctor said it could be months before the effects disappeared. Fast movements caused her to feel woozy and lightheaded; even from something as simple as going from sitting to the standing.

 

Walking further into the house, she wondered where Lance and Michael were. Michael's truck was in the drive and her parents had taken Lance's to pick her up. She screamed in shock when bodies jumped out from hidden corners holding up decorated signs. The tears started immediately. Her hands covered her mouth as she read the signs made blurry by her tears.

 

'Surprise!'

 

'Welcome Home!'

 

Lance handed his sign off making his way to his sister. He pulled her into a hug holding her as she cried. He stroked his hair, rocking her slightly. Moving back slightly, he carefully wiped the tears from her eyes. The shocking blacks and blues had turned into greens and yellows.

 

"A party... and I look a hot mess," she gripped Lance's hands with hers. She looked passed him looking at the people who were there: Michael, Lisa. She giggled seeing Lisa's sign made of sparkly glitter with unicorns. Lisa's roommate Amanda, Megan, Drew and Drew's boyfriend Marcial were all smiling at her. She saw Megan wipe at her own tears. "Don't you ever do something like this again," she scolded Lance.

 

Lance laughed hugging his sister again then reached for the dry erase board. There were plentiful around his house now; nearly one in every room complete with markers. 'We all wanted to welcome you home. But you're not expected to entertain us. We actually have work.'

 

"Work?" Rachel questioned.

 

'Dirty Pop is back on air in an hour.' Lance answered. 'Someone's gotta bring in the money. I just gained another mouth to support.'

 

Rachel punched Lance in the shoulder. "Keep being mean to me and I'll tell Mom."

 

"Lance be nice to your sister," Diane scolded gently, her eyes sparkled.

 

'Brat.' Lance wrote.

 

Rachel grinned and moved away from him to hug and greet everyone who was kind enough to be there.

 

'So glad you're finally home.' Michael wrote after they hugged. 'Lance has been absolutely insane the past couple of weeks. Today we cleaned the house from top to bottom especially your room. He doesn't even do that when your parents come to visit.'

 

Rachel laughed, hugging him again. "Between you and me, I would have splurged for someone to clean for me." She moved on from him and once she greeted each person they lounged in Lance's living room. Drew disappeared to the basement before everyone else to get set up for the show. The others followed soon after. Before long it was just her parents, Megan and Lance.

 

"Looks like I won't be on your show," Rachel said sadly. Two weeks ago she'd be so happy about finally being able to be on Lance's show and now... "Guess it wasn't meant to be."

 

'Hey,' Lance frowned. 'You can be on my show anytime.'

 

Rachel gave him a sad smile. "I can't hear Lance. That makes it kind of hard to be on a radio show."

 

'I'll figure someone out.' Lance said, his mind already working, trying to figure out a way to make it possible for Rachel to sit in and participate in his radio show. 'I promise.'

 

"Just don't talk too much about me tonight."

 

'The whole show will probably be about you.'

 

"Just no embarrassing stories," Rachel narrowed her eyes at him. "Maybe I should have Megan listen in and report back to me."

 

Lance laughed. 'I promise. No embarrassing stories. There was someone else who was invited but was unable to attend.' He looked at the clock and realized he needed to get a move on. He wasn't sure how he could explain being late to his own radio show when it was in his house.

 

"Who?"

 

'Go check in your room.' Lance winked. He kissed her forehead before walking away.

 

~*~

 

"Hello my little peanuts! It's me, Lance Bass. You're listening to Dirty Pop here on OutQ 108 and Cosmo 109. We are back. That's right. We are live!"

 

"After an unexpected couple weeks off," Drew spoke. He was happy to be back on the radio. He'd really missed it during the downtime. Not that he thought the radio show was more important than Rachel's health.

 

"It's been a crazy couple weeks around here," Lance said looking at the people around him. "Before we get into that let me introduce my peanuts today. Joining me today is Drew Boo."

 

"What up everyone?"

 

"Giggles Delcamp."

 

"Hi."

 

"Amanda 'Hug and Kiss'."

 

"Hello."

 

"And Turkey...what are you doing?" Lance asked staring at his boyfriend who was laying facedown on the couch.

 

"Did you wear him out last night Lance?"

 

"With my parents staying here?" Lance watched as Michael push himself up and make his way to the empty seat and put on the headphones.

 

"Now there is a topic to discuss," Amanda spoke.

 

"What's that?" Lance asked.

 

"Do you have sex with your partner, spouse, whatever they are with your parent's visiting?"

 

"No!" Lisa gasped, horrified.

 

"We're not that surprised that's your answer Lisa," Drew said.

 

"Sure," Lance said. "Why not? Your parents know you're in that kind of a relationship. Why would you hide it?"

 

"All depends on if you have a loud bed." Amanda said. "I wouldn't be getting it on with my boyfriend with my parents in the next bedroom if I had a squeaky bed and headboard that bangs against the wall."

 

"You just have to get creative," Lance said. "You definitely can't have sex anywhere in the house because they might walk in on you, so it would have to stay in the bedroom."

 

"Or the shower," Amanda cut in.

 

"I just can't..." Lisa shook her head. "No way. I wouldn't be able to face them in the morning. I'd feel so guilty."

 

"Are we talking a weekend visit or longer?" Michael asked. "Because if it's just a weekend, I think you can hold off for a couple days. But if it's an extended stay..."

 

"Well Lance, Michael," Drew picked up the conversation. "Lance's parents have been here for two weeks now."

 

"Yeah." Amanda said. "Have you guys had sex?"

 

"I wonder if my Mom is listening." Lance asked. He didn't think she would be; listening to a radio show when her daughter couldn't. It wasn't his mom's style. "Yes we have. But like Turkey was saying; if it's the weekend it's really not a problem. We can all go a couple days without. But if it's an extended period of time...no one can expect you not to stop having sex with your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend - especially if they are live in and a long term relationship - because they are staying at your house."

 

"Oo, you think your parents have had sex while they've been here?" Everyone groaned at Amanda's inquiry. "What?"

 

"No one wants to think about your parents having sex. Ever."

 

"So we've discussed having sex with your parents visiting," Drew spoke. "Which they aren't going to be staying very much longer I don't think."

 

"No, they are leaving in a couple days. Aww."

 

"But you've gained a housemate."

 

"I have," Lance smiled. "This is the topic I wanted to get into. In case you haven't heard, Rachel was released from the hospital today--" Sam, working in the studio in New York hit a sound effect button cutting his words off as a 'yea' was played.

 

"Woo hoo!" Amanda cheered.

 

"Yay!" Lisa grinned.

 

"That's right, after spending nearly two weeks in the hospital, Rachel was finally able to come home," Lance was unable to keep the smile from his voice. He was happy his sister was finally out of the hospital; even happier that she was here in his house just upstairs. "A bunch of things went into the decision but Rachel's decided to move in with Turkey and I."

 

"Which we spent the whole morning cleaning," Michael said. "House isn't even dirty but Lance had to clean it all anyway."

 

"Well it's my sister. My twin sister."

 

"I have a twin too and I wouldn't even clean like that for her."

 

"Well I just love my sister more,"

 

"Probably," Michael said with a grin.

 

"So Rachel is moving in."

 

"Already moved in," Lance said. "We moved all her stuff in - well the important stuff anyway - last week. So it's been waiting for her when she released."

 

"And we just surprised her."

 

"Oh yeah," Lance grinned. "My parents went to pick her up from the hospital and bring her here. All of us here: Turkey, myself, Giggles, Amanda, Drew Boo, Marcial, Rachel's personal assistant Megan were hiding in the living room when Rachel walked in the door. She came into the living room and we all jumped out from hiding holding up signs saying 'Surprise!' and 'Welcome Home!'."

 

"And she cried."

 

"And she cried," Lance echoed Drew. "She saw us there and burst into tears."

 

"I teared up too," Lisa said. "She was not expecting it at all."

 

"No she wasn't."

 

"Probably not the best thing for us to do. She just got out of the hospital after being involved in a horrible accident. She probably wanted to come home, relax and recoup and not have to deal with a bunch of people."

 

"She looks great though," Amanda spoke. "I don't know if we can tweet the pictures out. I know I'm not. Hell hath no fury like a woman who found a bad picture of herself on the internet."

 

"She might let us tweet a couple out," Lance spoke even as he grabbed his phone to send his sister a message. "She does look good. The bruising is fading. Though it is at that ugly yellowish stage." He stared down at his phone when it vibrated. 'Sure. Proof of life.' "And Rachel just said we could tweet out some pictures. So we'll get those out there. We have to take a break right now. But don't worry we'll be back right after this with more about my sister and I have some rumors to clear up. So don't go anywhere; we'll be right back."

 

~*~

 

Rachel turned to look at her mother confused. Who was invited but didn't show?

 

'Don't look at me.' Diane wrote seeing her daughter's face. 'Your father and I spent the morning with you.'

 

Rachel looked at Megan.

 

'Don't look at me.' Megan wrote. 'Lance just text me with the time to be here and where to park. I have no idea who was invited.'

 

'Just go see what's in your room.'

 

"Okay." Rachel turned and walked out of the living room leaving her parents and Megan behind. As she walked toward her bedroom she went through who Lance would have invited. The very first name that came to mind caused her to pause. When she moved again, she was walking quickly to her room. Outside the door she paused once more before pushing the door open.

 

A gasp escaped when she saw the beautiful arrangement of flowers on top of the dresser. She crossed the room immediately burying her nose against the silky soft petals breathing in their gorgeous aroma. The arrangement was stunning. Lilies dominated the bouquet of course. She recognized pink carnations. There was a small white flower added in that she didn't know along with green foliage to round out the lily and carnation combination. The smell was heavenly. The vase made Rachel laugh and she reached out to touch. It was ceramic shaped into a rain boot. The boot was of course pink and decorated with black polka dots. It was very real looking; even sporting a black sole.

 

Staring at the boot she noticed the cream colored envelope stuck beneath the vase. She quickly snatched it up seeing her name scrawled across the middle in JC's handwriting. She'd recognize his handwriting anywhere. The flap was tucked into the back of the envelope and she eagerly removed it, pulling the card out. The smile came to her face immediately. The card wasn't the usual in the fact that it didn't open. The card was in the shape of a cute brown furry Teddy Bear with a red plaid bowtie around its neck. In its paws he held a white note card. It was on that white space where JC had written his message.

 

If I could have been there I would have. Spending time with you is a lot more enjoyable than meetings. A lot more rewarding as well just seeing you smile and hearing you talk. Keep smiling even when you want to cry. Know that I'm here for you whenever you need me. Always.

 

Rachel wiped at the tears on her cheeks with her fingers after reading JC's card. She tried reading the words again but they blurred in front of her. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she stared at the flowers. What was going on? Movement in the mirror caught her eye and she met her mother's eyes in the mirror.

 

Diane entered the room and took a seat next to Rachel. She smiled at the flowers and looked at her daughter. The smile softened as she wiped away her daughter's tears and drew her into a hug. Her interest was definitely piqued at what was in the card but Rachel was holding it in a manner that Diane couldn't read.

 

"I don't know what's going on here," Rachel said looking at her mother then back at the flowers. Her eyes were drawn to the vase. She was in love with it and was already thinking of how she could use it once the flowers were gone. "I feel like I'm sixteen again..."

 

'What a wonderful feeling!' Diane wrote on the dry erase board sitting on the dresser. The marker was pink. Lance made sure the pink marker ended up in Rachel's room.

 

"I feel like I should be writing in my diary. JC..." Rachel paused as she tried to think about what she wanted to say. "I don't know. We haven't seen each other in months; haven't really...talked. Aside from holiday messages and birthdays. And now... it's all so confusing Mom. Is he doing this because he feels sorry for me? Just being nice? Because right now," she held the card up. "It doesn't feel that way."

 

'Oh Sweetie. If JC was being nice, he would have sent you flowers and a card. And if his schedule permitted visited once, maybe twice. But he visited you an awful lot. Purchased three bouquets so far. Not to mention snuck in after visiting hours and sat with you all night. That's not being nice.' She watched Rachel nod at her words and quickly erased them to keep writing. 'Whatever he wrote to you on that card, he probably means the way you think he does. The accident may have brought you guys back together but there is something else keeping you together.'

 

"What if I'm reading too much into this?" Rachel asked. "What if I'm all over the beautiful flowers, the words because I never got that before? I'm seeing something that isn't there?"

 

'You want to know what I think?'

 

"Please."

 

'When I caught myself wondering about JC, I would think back to the night he snuck into your room and the flowers he brought. The fresh flowers he brought at one in the morning. My guess is he went out of his way - not to mention wake up a disgruntled florist who more than likely charged him a lot of money - to bring you those flowers when he didn't have to bring anything at all.'

 

Rachel thought about her mother's words. There were a lot of truths. That gesture that night spoke volumes. She could only imagine how much he paid for the flowers. Something was definitely there between them. The feeling she'd get when he visited her; how it felt to have him take her hand to iterate a point and then seemingly forget he was holding her hand. How he'd smile at her or how his eyes would twinkle when he was teasing or joking.

 

Diane watched the small, knowing smile form on her daughter's face. She erased her board and wrote, 'There. In that smile right there on your face right now. The answer is right there. That's where it is.'

 

Rachel's eyes widened and she feverishly pulled her phone from her pocket. Her fingers fumbled over the screen as she fought to pull up the notepad and typed the lines in before she forgot. 'In the sweetest smile, that's where it is.'

 

Diane shook her head. She was used to Rachel pausing a conversation to quickly write down a wisp of a lyric.

 

"I should probably send him a text," Rachel spoke saving the note she wrote. "I don't know what to write though. A simple thank you isn't enough."

 

'The writer doesn't know what to write?' Diane wrote, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Ironic, huh?" She laid the phone down on the bed and pushed herself to her feet. She closed the distance between the flowers. Reaching out she fingered one of the soft petals like she had earlier. It was silky smooth under her fingers. Holding her hair back, she breathed in their fragrance. Her eyes drifted close as the barest hint of a smile formed on her lips.

 

Diane snapped the photo opportunity with Rachel's phone before she moved. It was one of the most beautiful things she had seen in a long time. A professional photographer couldn't have done better. She laid the phone down on the bed with the photo left on the screen. Grabbing the dry erase board she wrote, 'Trust your heart Sweetie. Don't go professing your love right now. But let him know.'

 

Rachel was still staring at the flowers ten minutes later after her mother left. She sighed and moved back to the bed where she re read JC's card and beautiful words. It was a little ironic him telling her not to cry when his words made her cry. Unlocking her phone she stared at the picture she hadn't realized her mother had snapped. There was a look on her face she hadn't seen on herself in a long time. She quickly tapped out a message as the words came and hit the send button before she could second guess herself and talking herself out of sending the text. After the text went through she sent the picture her mother had taken.

 

When I'm sad I think back to last sound I remember hearing. Your beautiful voice. It makes me sad knowing that I might not be able to hear you again. But I just imagine you smiling and hear your voice in my head and that makes me smile.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical