Chapter Twelve

 

The door closed leaving Rachel all alone. 'Well not all alone,' she thought smiling down at Foster who stood next to her. "They'll be back; don't worry." She spoke to the dog, who looked up at her. Lance and Michael had just left to take her parents to the airport. Her mother hadn't wanted to leave but she had to return to work. Really there was nothing for her to do in California. After two days, Rachel had settled into Lance's house.

 

"Maybe we'll take a nap," she told Foster as she walked into the living room; Foster following behind. "Think there's anything good on TV?" She sat down on the brown sofa, resting back against the pillows behind her. She loved her brother's couch. It was so comfortable. "Sorry to disturb you," she said when Dingo raised his head from the other end of the L-shaped couch. "You are lazy," she told Dingo when he laid his head back down, eyes already closed. She watched as Foster jumped up curled down next to Dingo. "I like where this is going."

 

Rachel pulled the fleece throw she had used last night down from the back of the couch and covered herself up as she laid down. When she was finally comfortable she sighed and closed her eyes. Until the vibration of her cell phone in the pocket of her sleep pants. "Never fails. Try to take a nap and the phone rings. There must be sensor in some people's brain that goes off when someone tries to nap."

 

The dogs paid her no attention, sleeping through her comments. She pulled the cell phone from her pocket and stared at the text message.

 

'We need to get together soon. And by soon I mean today or tomorrow. We have interview requests lining up. People want to know what's going on.'

 

'They'd know what's going on if they follow my Twitter account.' Rachel told Alison. The last thing she wanted to do was give interviews. She wasn't even sure how that would work. It would definitely be awkward on television.

 

'They don't want a 140 character update on what you had for supper!' Alison replied. 'You need to give interviews. You need to get out there and tell your story.'

 

'What story? I was a singer. Had a car accident. Now I can't hear. Kind of hard to sit there face to face and have them ask questions that I can't hear.'

 

'Don't get snarky with me!' Alison retort came through. Rachel smiled. She could almost hear Alison speak the words.

 

'E-mail me questions and I'll answer them.'

 

'Well that covers blogs and Country Weekly' Rachel definitely heard the disdain in the text. 'You need to be on Good Morning America, The Today Show, Ellen! CNN, Fox News, you need to be seen!'

 

The last thing Rachel wanted to do was be paraded around on television. She didn't want to answer questions about how she felt not being able to hear. How she felt not being able to listen to music; to sing. She didn't want to answer those personal questions because she wasn't too sure of her own answers.

 

'I also need a statement from you regarding your break up with Ben and the rumors he's been spreading.'

 

'Ben's a fucking cheatin' asshole.' Rachel texted feeling her good mood fade slightly. 'Feel free to quote me on that.'

 

'You know I can't release that. And don't you dare go tweeting that either.'

 

'Why not? He's allowed spreading lies about me, my brother. JC.'

 

'That's why you need to say something to dispute what he's saying. Right now it's your word against his and you aren't saying anything. It looks bad on your part.'

 

'MY GOD! I DID NOT CHEAT ON BEN WITH JC!!!''

 

Rachel let out a frustrated scream. The noise was silent to her but both Dingo and Foster raised their heads and looked at her. "I swear, never ever ever get a publicist. Or date a lying, cheating jerk." She tossed her phone down on the couch and went to the kitchen to grab a drink needing to calm down. "Like it's my fault we broke up. Like I was sleeping with any and everyone I could." She muttered as she took a drink of water.

 

The rumors started almost immediately after the break up. They were fueled by Ben's broken nose and the leaked information that Lance had been the one who did it. Gossip rags filled up with speculations of what had been their downfall.

 

One rag gave a story that had juicy details how she had cheated on Ben with JC and Ben had found JC and Rachel kissing in the hospital. JC had tried to stay hidden until his face healed but had been unable. A paparazzo had snapped a photo of JC's bruised face and ran the picture. It added more to the story of JC and Rachel carrying a relationship. Lance had done his best to squash rumors on his radio show going as far as telling his listeners that Ben had attacked JC while JC had been helping them move Rachel.

 

Taking her water bottle back to the living room she sat back on the couch. Now that she was somewhat calm she thought about what Alison was telling her. She couldn't hide out in Lance's house forever hiding behind the computer screen questions. She wasn't comfortable doing all the interviews Alison had stated and she was sure there were a lot more that she had left out of the message. If she could do one then go from there... Armed with the decision she picked up the phone.

 

'Rough morning?'

 

The message on her locked screen was from JC and she frowned. She hadn't talked to him this morning and was confused. Why was he asking if she had a rough morning? She unlocked her phone; it automatically opened to JC's text. She groaned seeing the all caps rant she thought she had had been sending Alison had ended up going to JC. She scrolled up passed her text and saw JC had sent a message. It must have popped up during Alison's messages and she hit reply thinking it was Alison.

 

She backed out of JC's messages and opened Alison's. Alison had sent a bunch of texts while she had been in the kitchen. Asking more questions and yelling at her for ignoring her. "Shit," she brought up JC's messages. How was she supposed to respond? Not sure what to text him she pulled up Alison and text her that she'd do one face to face interview for now. Only one. Also letting Alison know that no matter what, she wasn't talking about Ben.

 

'In my next life, I'm coming back as Dingo. He's got it made.' She text Lance and lay back on the couch staring up at the ceiling. It didn't take long for her phone to vibrate with an incoming message.

 

'The fact that you lay around the house just like him, proves that you already are him.'

 

Rachel couldn't find it in herself to be offended because it was true. She had been lying around the house. But she had a good excuse. 'I just got out of the hospital. I'm not exactly up to running marathons you know. Least if I was Dingo I wouldn't have to respond to messages. Everyone wants a piece of me.'

 

'What's going on?'

 

'Alison's on my case to do interviews. Wants to do the morning carousel. Cause that won't look absolutely ridiculous. She's not happy with my only doing print interviews. And wants me to make a statement about Ben. I gave her a statement she didn't like it. Too many cuss words I guess.' She sent the message and started a new one. 'She says I look bad because I haven't released anything about Ben and allowing him to make up these asinine lies. Like it's my fault people believe that bullshit. I'm moving to where no one knows my name.'

 

Lance's reply came in two messages as well. 'Do an interview to satisfy Alison. Just pick one of the morning shows to go on. They'll probably have all the questions written out prior to the show. It will be easier than you think.'

 

'Good luck with that Ms. Country Superstar! ;)'

 

Rachel knew Lance was right. There weren't many places she could go that someone wouldn't know her; know her by her own career or know her by Lance. It was frightening to think about her going on a talk show. They weren't scripted. They were live and guests and anchors went off the cuff. How could she do that? It was fine and dandy to have the questions already written up for her to read, but how could she participate in just a regular conversation?

 

Before she could text Lance back, her phone vibrated in her hand. The blue message box popped up with a new text. JC's name at the top. 'Are you okay?' Her thumb hovered over the box as she fought with herself on whether she wanted to hit close or reply. She finally pressed reply.

 

'I'm okay. You know how the business can get. :/ I need a vacation.... oh look! My calendar is clear for the unforeseeable future! Crazy!'

 

'I'm on my way to get lunch right now. I can pick up something and stop by.'

 

Rachel smiled reading JC's message. 'Oh I'm not sure. You see I'm home all by myself and Lance and I haven't discussed having boys over...'

 

'He has one over all the time. Use it against him if you get in trouble. I'll text when I'm outside.'

 

JC pulled into Lance's driveway thirty minutes later. A bag of fast food sat on the passenger seat; two drinks in the cup holder. Turning his vehicle off, he fished his phone from the tray in front of the gear shift. The text he'd received from Rachel came out of the blue and he'd known it wasn't supposed to go to him. It had been a few days since he'd seen her and he had yet to see her at home; letting her spend time with her parents and Lance.

 

Not seeing her didn't mean he didn't text her though. They'd texted each other daily; a text here and there. Their conversations really started at night. He adored the photo he had received on the day she was released from the hospital. He saved it to his phone in case the text messages ever accidently get deleted and he still caught himself pulling it up to look at it occasionally.

 

When he filled out the card that he dropped off with the flowers, he'd been a little hesitant. He didn't want to come on too strong but he didn't want to write something generic that she'd probably read in every card she received. He wanted to put something in there that would let Rachel know of his feelings for her. It made him a little afraid his feelings came for her so fast and so strong. Her reply had definitely been the best; thinking of him made her smile.

 

When his phone chimed he looked down seeing a text from Rachel. 'If my fries get cold because you're day dreaming so help you...' He smiled and turned his head seeing Rachel standing on the sidewalk. He grinned and pushed his door open, climbing out.

 

"Any longer and I was going to crawl in there with you. I'm starving!" Rachel walked the rest of the way down the side walk to the driveway. She stepped cautiously in her sock clad feet wary of any debris. Before she could give herself time to think she wrapped her arms around his waist pulling him into a hug. "Hi."

 

If it was possible JC's smile grew as he returned the hug. The hug lasted more than a friendly hug should, but neither participant cared. When the hug ended he stopped her from moving around him toward the food with a hand on his arm. Keeping her still, he quickly typed on his phone before turning it around to show her. 'You're not under house arrest around you? We could get out of here and go for a drive if you wanted?'

 

Rachel beamed at him. "That sounds like a good idea! I've been in the house for two days. Just wait right here," her arms flew around his neck in a quick hug before she was jogging back to the house.

 

JC mind was still in a whirl. He hadn't even been able to return Rachel's second hug before she was off. He shook his head, the grin playing at his lips. He leaned against his vehicle with his feet crossed at the ankles. The driver's side door still hung wide open. It didn't take long for Rachel to reappear. When she did, she was wearing shoes this time. He had to laugh when he saw the color. Of course they'd be pink.

 

"What?" Rachel asked seeing him laugh. On her return to the house, she put on shoes, grabbed her sunglasses and the first dry erase board and marker she could find.

 

JC pointed at her shoes. 'I like the pink shoes.'

 

"They're my favorites," Rachel grinned. She pulled up the bottom of her grey fleece pants, revealing the low rise pink Converse shoes. "Ready?"

 

'Let's go,' JC typed to her and watched as she nearly floated around the front of his car. Her blonde hair bounced with her movements. He smiled softly after her before climbing in the driver's seat. He moved the bag of food so Rachel could sit.

 

"Where are we going?" Rachel asked after buckling in and taking the bag back from JC so he could do the same. She put the dry erase board on the floor at her feet and tossed the blue marker and her phone into the tray.

 

'Any special place in mind?' JC asked seeing Rachel shake her head. 'How about we drive to the PCH to one of the scenic points. That way we can talk. I won't be able to type and drive at the same time.'

 

"Sounds great," Rachel told him as he backed from Lance's driveway. "Just nothing too public - not that I don't want to be seen with you," she looked at him seeing him laugh at her statement. "I don't mean anything by that. Honest. I don't care if I'm seen with you; I just don't feel like deal with people or crowds right now."

 

Coming to a stop sign leaving Lance's section of the community he quickly typed on his phone. 'I'm happy you want to be seen with me. After all I am the no good homewrecker.'

 

Rachel groaned digging into the bag pulling out the folder of fries. She sat the bag on the floor between her feet and shifted closer to the center counsel. Resting her elbow on it, she held the fries so both she and JC could grab. "Amazing the gossip rags have been reporting on Ben cheating for months. Now all of a sudden he wasn't cheating it was me. I haven't even been in the state for more than a few days a month. Let alone seen you in months. I must have been hiding you on my bus." She looked at him slyly smiling when she saw him smile.

 

"Maybe I should have drove," Rachel spoke later as she watched the city pass by as JC drove out of Burbank toward the coast. The coast was a thirty minute drive but with traffic and lights it made it so much longer. She took a sip from her drink. She saw JC look at her and she continued. "Be so much easier. I can talk and drive at the same time and you could participate in the conversation as the passenger. Just sort of sucks. I feel like I'm talking to myself. I know I'm not, I know you're listening," she leaned back in her seat looking out of passenger window. "Don't mind me. I have a pity party usually every couple hours."

 

JC frowned hearing Rachel's words. Her tone definitely made him regret suggesting going for a drive, especially naming off a place that was half an hour away. Seeing her standing in the sunlight, shoeless, her green eyes twinkling in the sun looking so damn happy to see him had done something to him. He definitely didn't like how she just moved away from him. He took his eyes from the road for a second to spot his phone lying next to hers in the tray. Picking it up, he carefully navigated to his notes and with one eye on the road and his right thumb moving over the buttons he typed out a message. 'I can turn around.'

 

"No see," Rachel sighed. "I don't want that. I wanted to get out. This is nice. Just..." she waved her hand out in front of her. "Driving. I just get the feeling it's filled with awkward silence."

 

'It's not awkward silence.' JC typed carefully. 'I'm fine sitting here in silence until we get there and I'm fine listening to you talk. Don't stress; it's just me. Why don't you tell me what brought on the text from earlier because I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in knowing the story?'

 

Rachel groaned but opened her mouth and started talking, telling him about the earlier conversation with Alison.

 

JC smiled and let his phone drop back into the tray and he shifted in his seat, leaning his elbow on the center counsel. His grin widened when she shifted closer to him, her elbow resting next to his. He settled in to drive with Rachel's words flowing freely.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical