Chapter Thirteen

 

Rachel jumped from the car as soon as JC parked. She quickly strode to the edge of the lookout. Leaning against the railing she stared out over the Pacific Ocean. It glistened beneath the sun. Its waves crashed into the shore below. For being February there were a lot of people at the beach today. No one was daring enough to brave the still cold temps of the water but there were women sunbathing, guys throwing a football and children building sandcastles; a nice relaxing day in the sun.

 

There were a few cars parked on the scenic lookout point. The occupants were too busy with the view to give them a look. She felt JC behind her and she looked over her shoulder smiling at him before turning to look back at the water. She wondered how they looked; how people saw them. If they thought they were a couple or just friends hanging out. Did they look right together?

 

JC leaned against the railing his back toward the view as he stared at Rachel. It was tough to guess what she was thinking especially with the sunglasses keeping her eyes well hidden. After Rachel's so called 'pity party' she spent the rest of the drive talking; telling him about her conversation with Alison that morning. Rumors had been flying ever since Rachel's break up with Ben. He never read them, but Matt thought it was his job to keep him abreast on the wild and crazy ones particularly the ones involving him. They were all crazy and untrue, but the truth didn't sell and that's what the rags were about; selling magazines or collecting hits on their website.

 

"View's that way," Rachel pointed, giving him a look.

 

JC raised the dry erase board he had grabbed before climbing out after Rachel. 'View's pretty good from where I'm standing.'

 

Rachel rolled her eyes, but she couldn't stop the grin that formed. Reaching up she snatched the sunglasses from JC's head. Using her shirt she carefully wiped the lenses; holding them up to make sure they were smudge free before she slipped them back on JC's face. "There, that should clear up your sight."

 

JC smiled shaking his head. 'Just made it even better.'

 

"If you say so," Rachel said, her face flamed. She moved away from the railing and tilted her head toward the sun. "It feels so good to be out!" She closed her eyes and whirled around in a circle her arms stretched wide. "I almost want to break out into song and dance."

 

JC looked on amused. He left Rachel to her twirling as he wrote on the board. When he was finished he waited for her to look at him holding the board up when she did. 'Go ahead, I won't mind.'

 

"I'm sure you wouldn't," Rachel laughed. "Sorry C. There is no shimmy and shake left in these hips. At least none that wouldn't embarrass me or have you rolling on the ground in a fit of giggles."

 

'Oh come on.'

 

"No way. But feel free to shimmy and shake," she put her hands on her hips. "I'll watch. Didn't think so," she smiled when JC shook his head. She moved toward JC's vehicle and stepped up on the bumper.

 

"What..." JC caught himself from asking the question. He just watched as Rachel climbed up on his hood and sat down, leaning back against the windshield. 'I do have seats you know.'

 

"I know, but not out here." Rachel spoke letting the warm sun beat down on her. "Come on, JC; sit with me." She held the dry erase board and marker as JC climbed up next to her, copying her position in front of the passenger seat. "Thanks JC. This was a good idea."

 

'I've been known to have a good idea once in awhile,' JC wrote.

 

They spent the next few minutes not speaking. "I don't want to go on a talk show. It completely terrifies me."

 

JC drew his knees up, resting the board against his legs so he could write easier while still leaning against the windshield. 'Why?'

 

"Because they're gonna ask questions I don't want to answer."

 

Rachel's answer came so softly JC had to lean closer to hear. He frowned. What questions didn't Rachel want to answer? The big topic she would be questioned about would be the accident and her hearing. He supposed she might be asked about Ben; maybe about him; about the rumors. 'Questions about me?'

 

"Oh JC, no," Rachel turned her head to look at him. She reached out taking his hand. "Questions about my hearing loss and not being able to hear; not being able to hear music. Everyone wants to know the answer. I don't even know the answer. What does it feel like not to be able to hear music, something's that been a part of my life in some way, shape or form since I can remember? How can I even describe how devastated I am? It's completely terrifying when I start to think about what exactly I am supposed to do now. It's not like I can pick up a microphone and get up on stage anymore. That's when the pity parties come. When I start thinking about what I'm gonna do. I don't have the answer. So how am I supposed to give them one? There are only a few things I'm certain of at the moment."

 

'What are those?' JC asked; his mind working as he listened to Rachel speak. He had wondered how he would deal being in Rachel's shoes. He'd gone through the emotions of realizing that singing wasn't going to be his profession anymore. He'd come through that relatively unscathed though his ego took a major hit. But he was able to fall back on writing and producing music. He could still hear the music, the melody, the chords to put together a good track. With Rachel it was completely different. He couldn't relate.

 

Rachel smiled sadly. "I miss singing. I love being able to spend time with Lance. That hasn't happened a lot in the last four years. But I miss singing and not even getting up on the stage and singing. I miss that too. But I miss just singing randomly; in the car, around the house, the shower. Singing along with the radio... I'm fairly certain I will never be able to answer all the fan mail I've received in the last couple weeks even though I try my hardest to answer."

 

'Just how many letters have you sent out?' JC wrote. He knew how happy Lance had to be to have Rachel near again even under the circumstances. The twin connection between the Bass siblings was strong. He found that out quickly during the first years of NSYNC.

 

"I lost count. I can usually con Michael into helping me. I write the letters, he addresses the envelopes. We have a system worked out. If I can con Lance into putting the letters into the envelopes and sealing them we'd have a great little assembly line going. But a heckuva lot more come in than I send out daily."

 

'You are an outstanding woman, Rachel Bass. I know most people, me included, wouldn't even try to send a reply to every piece of fan mail received. I know many who would never even read them all. And I heard what you did with the Teddy Bears fans sent you. Passing them out to the children in the hospital.'

 

"They are my fans; without them I would have never accomplished anything. They are the most important part in what we do." Rachel told him. "As for the Teddy Bears, there no way I could keep them all. Those children got so much joy out of them." She sat up, drawing her knees to her chest as she stared out into the Pacific; where sky met water. "There's one more thing I'm fairly certain on."

 

'What's that?' JC sat up as well, getting the feeling whatever Rachel was about to say was different than what she just told him.

 

Rachel's heart beat wildly in her chest. "I'm not sure what's happening between us or where this is going or even if you feel it but I like it and I hope it keeps going."

 

Nothing could have stopped the smile from forming. JC capped the marker thinking of another form of communication he could use. Raising his hand he used his fingers to turn Rachel's head toward him. He smiled softly at her before dipping his head. He brushed his lips against hers once, twice before settling upon them. The kiss was slow and languid, new and alluring.

 

"Oh good," Rachel whispered when their kiss broke. She stared into JC's blue eyes. "You feel it too," she whispered kissing him again.

 

~*~

 

After their kisses, they settled against each other lying back on his windshield. Rachel was at an angle with her head on his shoulder. His left arm snaked beneath her allowing his hand to lie on her stomach; her own left hand rest on top of his, their fingers splayed together. Their conversation had flowed more freely as if kissing had allowed them to really connect and be open. Not that they hadn't been open with each other before but there was something more now.

 

They'd fallen silent in the last twenty minutes, content to just be near each other. JC wasn't even certain if Rachel was still awake. He hated to disturb her; he was rather enjoying their position. They couldn't stay there much longer because soon traffic would become a nightmare and he had to drive all the way to Burbank. The thought caused him to chuckle. It must be a sign he was old if he was worried about traffic. Here he was sitting with a pretty girl and he was worried about traffic.

 

"What's funny?" Rachel spoke feeling his body shake. She opened her eyes and looked around seeing nothing out of the ordinary.

 

'Just realized how late it was and that traffic was going to be bad soon.'

 

"How is that funny?" She sat up and yawned. She could take a nap. The sun had certainly worn her out.

 

'Figured I must be old since I was sitting here with a pretty girl and I was worried about traffic.'

 

Rachel chuckled and wrapped her arm around JC's waist when he sat up. He was quick to wrap his around her shoulders, holding her to his side. "Well forget about traffic. There are more important things to worry about."

 

'Like what'

 

"Like when you're gonna kiss me again. Cause that's what's on my mind right now," Rachel said looking at him.

 

JC grinned. 'Now?'

 

"Now's perfect," Rachel grinned. She raised her right hand caressing his cheek before she drew his face to hers. His lips were soft and warm. "What?" She questioned when he ended their kiss much too soon.

 

'I thought you wanted me to kiss you? That felt like you were kissing me.' JC's eyes were bright and teasing.

 

"My apologies," she held her hands up before letting them fall back into her lap. "Didn't think it would matter who kissed who. Would be equally satisfying for both of us." Her lips twitched as she fought to keep a grin from showing.

 

JC shook his head. He twisted around putting the dry erase board and marker on the windshield wiper blade. Bending his right leg he maneuvered it behind Rachel and pulled her closer to him. Her lips formed a smile as she let him situated her how he wanted her. This time it was JC's fingers leading her lips to his. He was in control and Rachel let him lead the kiss wherever he chose.

 

The kiss ended slowly as if neither wanted it to end. She dropped her head to his shoulder wrapping her arms around his waist. She grimaced slightly feeling the sharp pain her chest. Her ribs were healing. The bad thing about rib injuries there was really nothing you could do except wait until they were healed. She shifted her body, scooting so she wasn't twisting at the waist as much. When the pain went away, she relaxed against JC. "I could get used to this."

 

JC maneuvered them until she was sitting in front of him, between his legs. This way he was able to write on the dry erase board as well as continue to hold her. Rachel dropped her head back on his shoulder. "I don't want to leave. I don't want to look at my phone. It's like the real world is waiting to bust in." She took his left hand in hers, entwining their fingers.

 

'You did tell Lance where you were going right? He hasn't been freaking out the past four hours has he?'

 

Rachel giggled. "Yes I sent him a text while I was putting on my shoes. I probably shouldn't have left my phone unattended for this long. Alison probably has the next week booked with interviews. It has been nice not having it though. It's been a permanent fixture at my side since the accident, but it's my only source of communication sometimes."

 

'Want me to get it for you? You can check your messages and then we'll go.'

 

"Can I drive this time?"

 

'Are you sure?'

 

"I'm sure. It was okay talking the whole way here but now you can actually respond. And don't worry. I'm not afraid to drive. I'm okay really. I think it's probably because I don't remember the accident."

 

JC kissed her softly before untangling himself from her and jumping off the side of the vehicle.

 

Rachel slid down the front of the vehicle. When her feet hit the ground she stretched a little working her muscles out. She moved to walk back to the railing knowing JC would come up to her. She started finding a woman around her age staring at her. The woman appeared to be caught off guard and Rachel fought not to show fear. It was obvious the woman recognized her and she wondered what she was going to do. It was the first 'fan' she'd come in contact with since the accident. She wasn't even sure if she was a fan.

 

"Hi," Rachel said slowly, putting a smile on her face. She released the breath she'd been holding when the woman smiled at her and waved. Intrigued, she watched as the woman held up a finger, signaling for her to wait. The woman pulled out her phone and quickly typed. Rachel read it when the woman handed the device to her.

 

'Sorry to bother you. I saw what a cute couple you and JC made and I wanted to see if you wanted me to take your picture. It looked too good of a photo to waste in my opinion. By the time I talked myself into coming over, you guys moved. I guess I shouldn't have wasted so much time. But you're actually the first celebrity I've seen and I really didn't want to intrude on the moment and interrupt. And I didn't want to just snap pictures without you knowing. I'd never make a good paparazzo. I'm rambling...''

 

Rachel grinned reading the words. "Don't be nervous," the smile she sent the woman was meant to put her at ease. "I'm just a regular person who just happens to sing in front of crowds. And between you and me; I get nervous before every concert. What if I forget the words; trip in my heels. It's frightening. I'm Rachel Bass," she held out her hand.

 

'Melissa Green,' Melissa typed on her phone showing Rachel as she shook her hand. 'My son Kaden is back there.' She pointed to her seven year old son who was sanding on the bottom railing staring out over the ocean. 'We're from Colorado. This is the first time we've seen the ocean.'

 

"Welcome to California," Rachel grinned.

 

'Thank you,' Melissa typed. Her fingers had almost stopped shaking. She pulled into the lookout point wanting to take a couple pictures before they actually drove down to the actual beach so Kaden could play and put his feet in the ocean. 'It's completely different from Colorado.'

 

"Oh yeah. California takes awhile to get used to it. Sometimes, I'm not used to it. There are times I wanted to hide in my house and never venture out again. It gets crazy. What brings you here? Just visiting?" Rachel watched Melissa eye's dim. "I'm sorry. Don't answer that. I'm being nosy. It's a bad habit of mine."

 

'No that's okay. I just got divorced. My ex had a lot of business trips out here. It took me awhile to realize they weren't business. In the divorce I took his love nest. His ass can stay in Colorado where I hope his dick gets frostbite and falls off.'

 

Rachel was unable to stop the giggles that escaped as she read Melissa's words. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh... I'm really sorry."

 

'It's okay; I think I got the better end of the deal. Who can beat 70` in February? Back home we're buried under multiple feet of snow.'

 

"You definitely got the better end of the deal. You'll love the weather out here. And if you're feeling the need to see snow, there are mountains north of here that will fill your craving."

 

'Trust me; I don't want to see snow for a long time. I'm sorry; I'm trying really hard not to fan girl completely here.'

 

Rachel grinned knowingly. "JC?"

 

'Yes. I loved NSYNC. I was able to see them perform on both their PopOddessy Tour and Celebrity Tour. Honestly I was freaked out more over meeting JC than you.' Melissa blushed when Rachel burst out laughing. 'I'm sorry! I like you too! I listen to country a lot and you're one of my favorites. But NSYNC...I'm a 90's girl at heart.'

 

"Me too." Rachel grinned. "The nineties and early 2000's are my favorite years of music. I listen....listened to them a lot; especially NSYNC and Backstreet Boys."

 

Melissa's eyes flickered passed Rachel to JC. He stayed at the car looking down at his phone, letting them talk. 'I was freaked about meeting JC because in my mind he's a lot closer to Joey in that six degrees of separations thing.'

 

"Ahhh," Rachel nodded. "Makes sense. From me, you have to go to Lance then Joey. JC you can connect straight to Joey."

 

'Sort of stupid I know.'

 

"No it's not." Rachel reached out squeezing her shoulder. "I fangirled over meeting Joey McIntyre. I can relate."

 

'He was my first Joey. That is until I found Joey Fatone.'

 

"Mom can we go to the beach now?" Kaden came running up to his mother. He stopped short seeing his mom talking to a woman. He furrowed his eyebrows. "Is that... Rachel Bass?" He gasped in awe.

 

Melissa smiled down at her son. "It sure is." She placed her hand on Kaden's back, bringing him to her side. "You want to say hi? You'll have to type on Mommy's phone. Remember she was in a bad accident and can't hear."

 

Kaden took his mother's phone and slowly typed out the words he wanted to use. 'I like your songs.'

 

Rachel grinned kneeling down so she was on the same level as the boy. "Thank you! Do you have a favorite?"

 

Kaden stuck his tongue out as he concentrated typing. 'The one where you damaged the truck.'

 

"That was fun," Rachel smiled thinking about the video she shot for her song, 'Before He Cheats'. She got to go after a truck with a baseball bat. Most of the damage was computer generated. But she did bust out the headlights and the windshield as well as take a few swings at the truck body itself.

 

Kaden's gaze drifted passed Rachel seeing a man walking up to them. His eyes widened when he got closer. He gasped. "Is that JC Chasez from NSYNC?"

 

Melissa sent an apologetic smile to Rachel as her son spoke. She knew he didn't mean to be rude. "Yes Sweetie, that's JC."

 

"So cool," Kaden beamed up at JC. "Is Joey here?"

 

JC laughed. "Afraid not. It's just me."

 

"Darn," Kaden frowned, the smile dying.

 

"I'm sorry," Melissa said her face flushed red at her son's words. "Kaden that's not very nice."

 

"It's alright," JC smiled. "Come with me and I'll tell you some secrets about Joey."

 

Rachel watched as JC and Kaden walked a few feet away; Kaden's arms moving quickly as he talked. She turned back to Melissa. "What just happened?"

 

'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. Kaden was a little put out that Joey wasn't around. I'm afraid I passed on my unhealthy obsession of Joey to Kaden. I sound like a stalker.'

 

"I've seen stalkers; you're no where near being one. NSYNC had plenty. They were crazy!" Rachel told them and they fell into conversation; talking like they'd been friends forever.

 

"Mom! Can I take a picture with JC?" Kaden ran up to Melissa. "JC said it was okay. Even though he's not Joey, he's pretty cool."

 

Melissa placed her hand over her mouth covering up the smile as she looked at JC. "Sure."

 

'Your phone is blowing up,' JC held up his phone for Rachel to see. 'It keeps vibrating. I looked and it was Alison.'

 

Rachel sighed. "I guess our fun is over huh?"

 

''Fraid so.' JC pocketed his phone before he posed to take a picture with Kaden. He didn't mind taking pictures with Kaden and his mother; he was happy to do it. He just didn't want to cause a scene and have a bunch of people come over to them wanting pictures. Pictures took a few minutes because not only did Kaden want a picture with him; he wanted a picture with him and Rachel. Then he wanted a picture of just him and Rachel.

 

"Oh wait," Melissa said after they said their goodbyes. She tapped on her phone and passed it to Rachel. 'I never did take that picture of you and JC for you like I wanted. It was the whole reason for coming over. If you don't want it; I understand. Rumors and all...'

 

Rachel read the words and looked up at JC, seeing him read over her shoulder. She met his eyes and shrugged. "I don't mind," she said. She wouldn't mind at all having a photo or two from today. Using the lookout point as their backdrop, JC and Rachel stood close to each other. "Act like you like me," she stated wrapped her arm around his waist. She angled her body toward him, her left arm lightly rested on his stomach.

 

JC shook his head and kissed the top of Rachel's head at her words. Placing his hand on her back and he pressed her closer to him. He smiled as Melissa used his phone to snap the pictures. He couldn't wait to see them.

 

"Done," Melissa stated, smiling. They did make a cute couple. She was so happy for them.

 

"She was nice," Rachel said as she climbed in the passenger seat buckling in.

 

'Thought you wanted to drive?' JC wrote as he started the vehicle.

 

"Love to. Unfortunately I have a lot of messages to go through. Judging by the last one, Alison's about to have a coronary if I don't answer," Rachel said looking at her phone. She raised her head when JC waved his phone in front of her. She pushed her sunglasses on top of her head and leaned over smiling as JC showed her the couple pictures Melissa had taken. "Well that answers that question."

 

'What's that?' JC wrote on the dry erase board as he stared at one of the pictures.

 

"When we were looking out over the ocean I wondered how other people saw us. If they thought, looking at us, that we looked right together." She looked at the picture for a couple seconds more before looking up at JC. His eyes were hidden by the sunglasses as they had been all day. She reached up and removed his glasses allowing her to stare into his bright blue eyes.

 

'Do we?' JC asked searching her green eyes.

 

The smile was slow to form. She leaned over the counsel and kissed him. Her fingers grazed his cheek before moving over his ear and through his hair cupping the back of his head. When she ended the kiss she sent him a secretive smile and settle back in her seat.

 

JC replaced his sunglasses as he pulled from the parking lot. He shook his head thinking back over the afternoon. He hadn't been expecting Rachel to reveal her feelings for him but he was happy she did. He'd never been one to be soft footed around someone he liked. For some reason Rachel was different.

 

He saw Rachel's hand move out of the corner of his eyes and changed the grip on the steering wheel so his right hand was free to take hers. He entwined his fingers with hers and spared her a glance. A small smile was on her face as she used one hand to tap out a text on her phone. He smiled and squeezed her hand, feeling her return the squeeze. As he settled into drive he thought about the pictures in his phone. They looked more than right for each other.

 

They looked perfect.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical