Author's Chapter Notes:
I forgot to add this note when I posted this chapter so I'm doing it now. The song that Rachel sings in the story is "Someone Like You". Most of you know the original artist is Adele, but the version I took for this story is David Nail's version. If you haven't listened to his version yet, please do. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Chapter Sixteen

 

"Face it, it's hopeless," Rachel sighed flopping down in the kitchen chair. She sat her ever present phone done on the table. The voice-to-text application was amazing. It made it so much easier for everyone.

 

"No it's not," Michael as he mixed the clay concoction in a small bowl. Layers of newspapers lined the table, protecting the surface. Rachel's ceramic boot vase stood proud. 'If only it would hold water,' he thought. "I got a crash course. Just need to apply this to the inside to repair the cracks. We'll let it sit for a day or so and then test it out again."

 

"If it doesn't work?" Rachel asked watching as Michael moved back to the table sitting the bowl of clay he was going to spread on the inside of her boot down. "That's real tempting to put my hands in and mess around."

 

Michael's lips twisted in a smile. "Please try to refrain."

 

"Better yet," Rachel grinned mischievously. "I want to throw it at you." She giggled when Michael looked up at her, one of his eyebrows cocked.

 

"I don't think so," Michael said as he dipped his hand into the clay. The mixture was cool and slimy. He carefully spread it along the cracks on the inside of the vase. His movements were slow and precise. He didn't press hard for fear he'd break the hold the glue held. "What's wrong?"

 

"I just feel.... antsy. Itchy." Rachel shrugged. "I can't explain it. Like I should be doing something but I don't know what."

 

"Do you want to help?"

 

"Like both our hands will fit in there," Rachel told him. "I'm sorry," she said as Michael continued spreading the clay inside the boot. She grabbed her phone and snapped a picture of Michael working before bringing the voice program back up. "I just expected today to be going a lot different. There'd be rehearsal, a beautiful dress, getting my hair and make up done. Seeing people I haven't seen in a long time..."

 

"You have a much better date this time though," Michael pointed out.

 

Rachel grinned. "I do." When she found out that Michael was planning on staying home with her she'd been happy. When she found out JC had been invited as well, she had been down right ecstatic. They were having their own little Grammy party at the house. "Two of the three best looking men in Hollywood."

 

"Your opinion is severely skewered."

 

"Funny thing about opinions," she stood up from the table grabbing her phone. "Such a big night, I better go and figure out what I'm going to wear. It's a tough decision, not sure I can make it. My pink sweat pants or my plaid pajama pants. And don't even bring up a shirt..."

 

Michael chuckled. "You better hurry." He glanced at the clock. "The red carpet is fast approaching."

 

"I best be going then. I have decisions to make. Hair down or up."

 

"Slippers or socks," Michael pointed out.

 

Rachel gasped. "Oh yeah." She moved next to him and kissed his scruffy cheek. "I'll leave you to finish Turkeyangelo. Just don't be late for our date."

 

After leaving the kitchen Rachel wandered through the house aimlessly. She couldn't describe what she was feeling. Lost maybe. Tonight was a big night in the music industry - Grammy night. She had been set to perform. It was such an honor to be picked; a lot of music industry people were either in attendance or watching.

 

She stared at the white piano in front of her. Her wandering had led her to the one place she had yet to visit. The room wasn't used much; she wasn't even sure what kind of room it would be. It was sort of made up as the room to display items but never actually spend time in. Lance owned a beautiful piano that he never used. He told her once the cleaning lady used the piano more than he did because there was an automatic player built in.

 

Walking slowly into the room as if she was afraid something would happen she made her way to the piano where she gingerly sat down on the piano bench. Her fingers touched the keys, pressing down on a chord. Silence rang and it brought tears to her eyes. Her hands fell into her lap and she bowed her head.

 

She took a deep breath and wiped her tears with the back of her hands. She put her hands on the keys and closed her eyes. Without giving any more time to think she moved her fingers pressing down the keys, hearing the music in her mind.

 

Michael paused as the music reached him. For a minute he thought it was the automatic player but as the tune went on he didn't recognize it. It crossed his mind that it could be Lance but he hadn't seen Lance play the piano in a long time. He figured Lance would be a little rusty. The music flowed beautifully without hesitation. There was only one person who could be playing.

 

Lance's voice trailed off as heard the music played. He told the person on the phone to hold on and swung around in the desk staring at the open door. The piece was slow and dark sounding; haunting, almost sad. It was nothing he had heard before. His boyfriend had hidden talents he hadn't known about (painting one of them) but he wasn't sure it was Michael. Sending his apologies over the phone, he disconnected the call and followed the music from the room.

 

Michael dried his hands on the towel as he walked from the kitchen; the music leading him. The doorbell made him pause. With a longing look toward the music, he detoured to the front door. It was odd to hear the doorbell; everyone they knew always just walked right in. He opened the door slowly, hoping to be able to get rid of whoever was on the other side. He relaxed seeing JC. "You don't have to ring the door bell. Just come on in."

 

"That's what Rachel said; I just feel weird," JC stepped into the house pausing when he heard the piano. "What's that?" The melody called to him. He immediately started bobbing his head slowly to the music. "You get new music on the piano?"

 

"I was just going to check it out," Michael said as he shut the door. "It's either Lance or..."

 

"Rachel..." JC breathed and quickly followed Michael through the house. They reached the room the same time as Lance, each looking at each other before peering into the room. Their faces showed their surprise seeing Rachel at the piano, fingers dancing over the keys.

 

"Oh my..." Lance said stepping into the room.

 

"I never heard this before," JC spoke softly to Lance. Whatever it was it was something Rachel had been playing for awhile. There was no hesitation, no sour notes.

 

"I haven't either," Lance said. They all three looked on as the final notes faded; wondering if they should slip away or make themselves known. They didn't want to call attention to this moment, but it was a big step. Rachel had actually sat down and played the piano.

 

"I know you're there Lance." Rachel called out feeling a small blush creep across her face. She knew the minute Lance neared and wanted to stop playing, but she pushed on trying to forget he was listening. Of course he was listening. The piano can be heard throughout the house.

 

"Busted," Lance spared JC and Michael a glance before he walked forward. He couldn't see if she had her phone. He touched her shoulder as he sat down next to her on the bench. Rachel reached for her phone turning the program on. When Lance saw it was up, he spoke. "That was incredible, Rachel."

 

"You're just saying that," Rachel's face flamed hotter. "You have to say that."

 

"No," Lance shook his head. "That was truly incredible. It was beautiful. It sounded sad."

 

"It is sad," Rachel told him thinking of the lyrics. "I wrote it a long time ago but didn't like the way it sounded with me singing. Just never found the right person to sing it, so...." she shrugged.

 

"Sing it."

 

Michael and JC held their breath as Lance requested Rachel sing the words that went along with the melody they just heard.

 

"Lance..." Rachel spoke lifting her eyes to look at him. "I don't know. Singing is a whole lot different and I... I don't know if I can."

 

JC stepped forward hearing the doubt and insecurity. There was no way he could hang back. The bench yielded just enough room next to Rachel for him to sit down. He threaded her fingers with his. "Rachel..."

 

Rachel jumped, whipping her head to the right quickly. She gasped seeing JC. Her face felt on fire now. Embarrassment flooded and she broke their stare looking down. Looking away didn't help; she only stared at her hand firmly held in JC's. He wouldn't let her pull away even though she tried; albeit not very hard. Lance took her other hand. She laughed softly. "Is Michael lurking behind us?" Her eyes closed when she felt two hands grip her shoulders.

 

"Sing for us Rachel," Lance spoke, nudging his sister with his shoulder.

 

Rachel looked up at her phone, reading Lance's words. "Lance..."

 

"It's just us, Rachel," Lance squeezed her hand. "I can't guarantee many things, but I can guarantee that the three of us in this room right now will never laugh at you."

 

"Never." JC said firmly. "I know you're worried about what you sound like. But I have complete faith that your voice will be just as beautiful as it always is."

 

Rachel looked at JC for a few seconds before nodding. The butterflies she felt now were nothing compared to what she felt before The Today Show. It crossed her mind to change her mind and quickly leave the room; thus removing herself from the situation. "I don't think this is going to sound good."

 

"Let us be the judge of that," Lance told her. "Just pretend that we aren't here."

 

"Easier said then done," Rachel gave him a smile. She took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. "Okay, go away," she released their hands. "Just remember I don't think it sounds good with me singing it."

 

"Just sing," Lance told her as he slide from the piano bench, standing next to Michael with JC following suit.

 

"Don't you have to leave?" Rachel asked, stalling. She turned on the bench looking at her brother dressed in grey suit pants and a white undershirt.

 

"Rachel," Lance glared at his sister.

 

"Fine, fine," she muttered. Her gaze flickered to JC, who smiled at her, before she turned around. She sent up a quick prayer and placed her hands on the keys.

 

JC was rapt with attention as music flowed from Rachel's hands. Her fingers moved over the keys through the beginning measures. He felt a little nervous and knew he would be until he heard her sing.

 

The piano solo at the beginning of the song was coming to an end. Her stomach was in knots and she felt the need to run to the bathroom. She closed her eyes and tried to forget about the three men standing behind her.

 

I heard that you're settled down that you found a boy and you're married now.

I heard that your dreams came true guess he gave you things I didn't give to you

Old friend why are you so shy, it ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited but I couldn't stay away I couldn't fight it

I hoped you'd see my face that you'd be reminded that for me it isn't over

 

Never mind, I'll find someone like you

I wish nothing but the best for you too

Don't forget me I begged I remember you said

That sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead

Sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead.

 

JC's lips parted in shock as Rachel's voice filled the room. He looked at Michael and Lance, noticing their reactions were much the same. Her voice was unlike from before the accident. There was something... different. There was more emotion. He was so enamored with her voice he barely paid attention to the words of the song.

 

Lance was enthralled. His sister's melodious voice carried through the room. He couldn't stop smiling. She sounded absolutely wonderful! He wished there was a way to prove to her how could she sounded because he knew she expected them to sing her praises whether she was good or bad. With an idea, he reached into his pocket withdrawing his phone. The movement caused Michael to look at him.

 

"What are you doing?" Michael whispered. The song had captured him as well. The way her voice blended with the low notes on the piano. He could see why she thought her voice didn't do the song justice. She was great and could have - still can - taken the song far.

 

"Going to prove to her that we aren't listening with rose colored glasses," Lance shook his head. "You know what I mean. Quiet," he said as he pressed record on his phone.

 

Never mind, I'll find someone like you

I wish nothing but the best for you, too

Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said

Sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead

 

Nothing compares no worries or cares

Regrets and mistakes yeah they're memories made

Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

 

Never mind, I'll find something like you

I wish nothing but the best for you too

Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said

Sometimes it lasts in love, and sometimes it hurts instead

 

Rachel sang the last verse and continued through the piano notes before pressing down on the peddle letting the final note fade away. When she was finished she placed her hands in her lap scared to turn around; afraid what Michael, Lance and especially JC would say. She nearly jumped out of her seat feeling a hand on her shoulder.

 

"I have no words," Lance said. Her voice was still in his head with the haunting piano notes. "Rachel..." he shook his head, "Amazing."

 

"Really?" Rachel grabbed her phone from the piano and stood. She turned to face the men. Her heart beat frantically. She felt like she was on American Idol or The X-Factor facing the judges that would either sing her praises or rip her to shreds. Some of the weight lifted off her shoulders. She looked at Michael.

 

"Rachel that was awesome. Seriously," he shook his head. "As Lance said...amazing."

 

JC was still in awe. A small smile played at his lips. "That was beautiful." His heart lurched when Rachel sent him a bright smile. "I'm... wow... I'm shocked. And not shocked as in surprised by your voice," he quickly said. "I knew you would sound amazing. That song... it's fantastic." He told her; Michael and Lance readily agreeing.

 

"Really?" Rachel beamed. "You guys aren't just saying that are you?"

 

"Like I can lie to you," Lance rolled his eyes. He took her hand and led her around the piano bench so she was standing in front of them. "You sounded great. So you better knock out whatever insecurities are floating around in your head because that right there," he motioned toward the piano. "Was incredible."

 

"Thanks," Rachel hugged Lance.

 

"Help me get dressed," Lance spoke to Michael when he released his sister. With a wink in Rachel's direction he led his boyfriend from the room leaving Rachel and JC alone.

 

"That was a really beautiful song, Rachel," JC said when Lance and Michael left. "You sang it so beautifully. You really captured the sadness in it. I almost want to make you sing it again just so I can listen."

 

Rachel's heart soared reading the words JC had just spoken. She walked into his arms sinking against him. She wound her arms around his waist holding tight, pressing the side of her face against the soft black t-shirt he wore. "I was really nervous..."

 

JC held her tight, happy she was back in his arms after a couple days of separation. After a few minutes of just holding her, he brought his hand up lifting her chin. He ducked his head brushing his lips against hers. Hearing a soft sigh escape he moved his fingers along her cheek before threading them in her loose hair. When the kiss broke he brushed his nose against hers, smiling when her eyes fluttered open; the green shining bright.

 

"I'll refrain from asking the dozen of questions on my mind and just ask about this party that I feel a tad underdressed for." Rachel had told him their 'party' was a dress down event. Not even jeans were allowed. It was strictly sweat pants or pajama pants.

 

Rachel smiled up at him after reading the words. She palmed his cheek. "I was about to go change but I was pulled in here. And you are dressed perfectly. I have a feeling you'll be voted best dressed." She looked him up and down. He wore green and blue plaid pajama bottoms paired with a plain black t-shirt that pulled nicely across his chest.

 

"What do I win for that?"

 

"The girl of course!"

 

JC grinned and pulled her tight against him. Her smile widened to match his. "Just what I wanted," he said before bringing his lips down upon her once more.

 

~*~

 

"What do you suppose the reasoning is behind Rachel not releasing that song?" Michael asked.

 

"Probably the exact reason she gave," Lance told him. "She feels someone else should sing it."

 

"I don't know how it can get any better than what we just heard," Michael said. "I wasn't expecting her to sound bad but I wasn't expecting her to sound that good either! I want to say she sounds better but maybe it was because I was so shocked at how great she was."

 

Lance nodded as he slipped into the white button up shirt. "I understand. I knew she'd be able to sing. I figured I'd hear a couple... I don't know. A couple flat notes, wrong notes, a missed cue. But damn...she nailed it."

 

"What are you going to do with the video?" Michael watched as Lance unfastened his pants tucking the button up shirt in. He was kind of relieved not to getting dressed up as well. He just wasn't in the mood to go out and deal with anyone. Though, he wished that Lance could stay home with them as well.

 

"I think I'm going to post it on Twitter actually," Lance spoke weaving the thin black belt through the belt loops and then buckling it.

 

"No," Michael paused in the middle of rooting through the dresser drawer searching for a pair of pants he wanted to wear tonight. "She'll kill you."

 

"I don't think so," Lance grabbed the tri-blue stripped bowtie and flipped his collar up. Looking in the mirror he started tying it. "Especially when she starts seeing all the tweets come in about how great she sounds. I think reading those will be a lot better than you and me telling her how good she was."

 

"I see your point," Michael rolled his eyes and walked over to his boyfriend. He pushed Lance's hands away from the mess he was making with the bowtie and quickly knotted it himself.

 

"Just be on my side if this fails and she's pissed," his green eyes met Michael's brown ones.

 

"I'll be on your side unless she's really pissed. If that's the case, you're on your own..."

 

"Chicken," Lance muttered.

 

"Turkey," Michael grinned. He palmed the back of Lance's head feeling the short soft blonde hair against his hand. Using that hand, he guided Lance's mouth to his.

 

"I really wish I hadn't said yes to do this," Lance spoke when the kiss ended. "So I didn't feel like I was left out of this lovely dress down party you have going on," he tugged one of his pant legs up revealing bright yellow socks with green, blue, grey dinosaurs all over.

 

"Nice," Michael smiled seeing his boyfriend's socks. "Maybe you should wait to do that until after you leave." He told Lance seeing him pull his phone from his pocket.

 

"I'm counting on JC to keep her distracted and off her phone," Lance said as he pulled the video up. He played it once more, holding the phone so Michael could see as well when he maneuvered his body next to him. "I still can't believe it," he said when the video ended. "She was amazing."

 

"I agree."

 

'This blew me away! @RachelBass is simply amazing.'



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical