Chapter Twenty Four

 

"Don't you have a home?" Michael asked seeing JC walk into view after he heard the front door open.

 

JC grinned. "I do. But for some reason I like your house more."

 

"Some reason," Lance muttered from his spot next to Michael on the couch. "Rachel's still getting ready."

 

"Yeah she told me that when I was outside," JC walked down the two steps into the Lance and Michael's living room. "I sent her a text when I got here."

 

"And what? You were just gonna wait outside and not come in?" Lance arched an eyebrow. "Nuh-uh, it doesn't work like that in this house. You're gonna be dating my sister, you will come into the house when you pick her up for dates."

 

"You're an idiot," JC said rolling his eyes.

 

"Looking pretty spiffy C," Lance eyed his sister's boyfriend. He wore a pair of dark grey - almost black looking - jeans with a black button up shirt, tucked in and the top button undone. Over the shirt he wore a black blazer style jacket. Completing the look, JC wore a black scarf, wrapped loosely around his neck. "Question."

 

"What?" JC asked, sticking the fingers of his right hand in the pocket of his jeans.

 

"Those glasses for show or do you actually need them to see?" He asked of the black framed glasses JC wore.

 

"To see, Moron. Why else would I wear them?"

 

"Pretty hipster thing to do is to wear black glasses like those just for the look."

 

"Well not me," JC shook his head. "I'm not completely blind and I don't wear them all the time."

 

"Where are you guys off to tonight?" Lance asked, pausing the show he had on his DVR. "She's been getting ready for hours."

 

"I got tickets to the premiere of 'Oblivion' at the Dolby Theatre."

 

"I'm sorry," Michael apologized.

 

JC laughed. "Why?"

 

"Because it's Tom Cruise. His movies are all the same. Some futuristic crap with him 'saving the world'."

 

"Well... yeah," JC nodded. Recently all of Tom Cruise's movies seemed to be the same. "But Rachel loves him..." he shrugged as if that statement made all the difference. And it did. Tom was Rachel's favorite actor so he did a little smooching.

 

"One thing though. You're taking Rachel to the movies. You remember that she can't hear right? And it's very doubtful they'll put the closed captioning on at the premiere."

 

"Don't worry Lance, I got it covered."

 

"Yeah Lance," Michael smirked. "They'll probably sit in the corner of the back row and make out the whole time."

 

"I can't wait to see that on TMZ."

 

JC turned hearing Rachel's voice and broke out into a grin. "You look absolutely stunning," he told her as he walked around the couch toward her. He watched as she glanced down at her phone in her hand before smiling widely.

 

"Thanks," Rachel accepted his hand as she walked down the two steps into the living room. She wore a strapless black dress with the skirt falling to a couple inches above her knees. Her hair was styled in wavy curls; her long bangs swept across her forehead with the top loosely pulled back. All in all it looked a little messy, but it took her a long time to get that look. Her hair hadn't wanted to keep the minimal curl she put in the strands. Sometimes she wished a hair and make up team followed her around everywhere she went. "You look great."

 

"I wish I couldn't hear this," Michael murmured to Lance.

 

Lance laughed. "It's disgusting isn't it?"

 

JC flipped the men the bird which did nothing but make them laugh even more and make Rachel send them a confused look. "They are trying to be funny and failing miserably," he explained to her.

 

"Oh," Rachel said after reading what JC said. "Let's leave them to their quality TV of The Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo."

 

"We watch way better shows than those!" Lance yelled at his sister's retreating back. "And Jersey Shore isn't even on anymore!"

 

"For you information, we are watching 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills'," Michael called.

 

"Not helping your cause any!" JC fired back as they stepped through the front door. "You look gorgeous."

 

Rachel blushed seeing his words. "Thank you," she said shyly.

 

"Seriously," he cupped her chin with his hand staring into her yellow-green eyes. "Took my breath away."

 

It was so hard to tear her eyes away from JC's. The look he carried in his gaze caused her heart to falter and a lump to rise in her throat. She raised her hand to his cheek for a second or two before dropping it to his shoulder. Caressing her way to his neck, she brushed her fingers against the short hair at the nape of his neck. The small heels she wore put her at the same height as JC. Usually she was just slightly shorter than him.

 

She took a half step forward and felt JC's hand at her waist pulling her into his body. Their noses touched and she broke out into a smile. Tilting her head she made the final move, settling her lips on his. They kissed softly, their lips moving slowly as they melded together. She wrapped her arms around JC's neck when the kiss ended and hugged him tightly.

 

JC held her against him, his arms around her waist. His nose was buried in her hair. Fragrance surrounded him; a beautiful scent that lingered on his pillow after she spent the night. He knew without a doubt it would be on his clothes before the night's end and he would catch hold of it even when Rachel wasn't around.

 

Rachel drew her head back, straightening the scarf draped around his neck. She opened her mouth to speak but the words caught in her throat when she met JC's bright blue eyes again. It struck her how in love she was with this man

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" JC asked seeing Rachel's expression.

 

Rachel let her left hand slid from around JC and trail down his chest so she could see the phone. The device had locked while they were kissing. She slid her thumb across the screen bringing up the application again still open. The application hadn't caught what JC had said. She raised her eyes in question; her stomach tumbling again.

 

"If you're nervous about going to the premiere, we don't have to go," JC stated. He wasn't sure what he'd been thinking when he had the bright idea to get tickets to the premiere. He saw the movie premiering, saw it was Tom Cruise and immediately got the tickets for Rachel. During the whole process it never crossed his mind that going to a movie with Rachel probably wasn't the best of ideas. Like Lance had said, it's not like they can put the closed captions on the screen during a premiere. "I really wasn't thinking when I got the tickets. We can go do something else. Grab dinner..." After that he wasn't sure. They were overly dressed to do most random things. "We'll find something else to do even if it's going back to my house and ordering a movie."

 

Rachel stopped JC from talk by placing a finger over his lips. "I think that's a great idea."

 

"So skipping the premiere?" He looked at her confused when she shook her head.

 

"No; I still want to go. I would never pass up Tom Cruise." Rachel told JC, causing him to laugh.

 

"Should I be worried about your infatuation with Tom Cruise?" He asked with a teasing glint in his eyes.

 

Rachel shook her head, "Tom Cruise has nothing on you."

 

JC couldn't stop raising an eyebrow at her statement. "I'm better than Tom Cruise?"

 

"Oh yeah," she grinned pecking him on the cheek. "Just don't go jumping up and down on a couch proclaiming your love for me."

 

"How about if I proclaim my love for you standing outside your brother's door?" JC asked quietly. He hoped the phone picked up his question; he had spoken it so softly he wasn't sure. He didn't know if he'd be able to repeat it with his heart stuck in his throat waiting for a response.

 

"Wh-what?" Rachel whispered staring at her phone. Her lips were parted in shock as she stared at the words on the screen. Right there in black and white. 'Proclaim my love for you.' Did that mean he loved her? Tears pricked her eyes and she blinked rapidly in hopes to keep them at bay. If she cried, her make up would be ruined. 'Stop worrying about your make up! JC just basically told you he loved you!' With a wavering breath, she raised her head, meeting JC's expectant blue eyes. She wanted to giggle seeing the look on his face but she was certain she mirrored him. "Y-you love me?"

 

JC nodded, "I love you."

 

A new feeling swept through her seeing JC's lips move. A lip reader she was not, but those words she could read ever since... Her eyes narrowed as she looked at him. "You aren't saying elephant shoes are you? Or olive juice?"

 

JC laughed, the tension leaving his body. He reached for the phone in Rachel's hand and held it up at eye level with the screen facing her. "I love you," he repeated in the phone. He watched his girlfriend's face as her eyes moved from staring at him to the screen in his hand. Happiness radiated across her face and a soft laugh escaped before her lips grew into a smile.

 

"JC, I..." she jumped into his arms wrapping her arms around his neck holding tight.

 

JC stumbled backward a step but quickly gained his footing. He wrapped his arms around her waist squeezing her to him. Cedar, jasmine and citrus drifted through his nose and he breathed deeply, tightening his hold. He placed a kiss on her neck, just below her ear. He felt lighter. The weight of the world no longer rested on his shoulders. It was out there. Rachel finally knew how he felt about her. There would be no more holding it in and praying he didn't slip and reveal his feelings.

 

"I don't know when it happened, I just realized it last week when you were talking care of me when I was sick," Rachel started talking as she slowly pulled back from JC. She stayed in his arms and brought her hands from around his neck to the scarf around his neck that she couldn't seem to stop playing with. "We haven't even been together very long. We've known each other forever it seems...there are a lot of unknowns for me. If I'll get my hearing back or if it's gone forever. I don't even know what I'm gonna do from here. I don't know what Capitol is going to do; if they will even keep my signed on. It's not like I can fulfill my contract obligations. If I was them, I'd let me go. I mean why..."

 

JC dipped his head and covered Rachel's still moving lips with his. It took a couple seconds before she stopped talking and participated in the kiss. He moved his lips against hers, sweeping his tongue into her mouth, teasing hers. He felt the pressure against his neck when her hands gripped his scarf pulling it. The kiss ended with a whisper of a kiss and his nose caressed her cheek, his breath glided over her cheek. Her green eyes opened slowly and met his.

 

"I love you."

 

This time Rachel didn't dispute the words his lips were forming. "I love you too."

 

*~*

 

"Are you okay?" JC asked as they came up on the movie theatre hand in hand. They didn't come by limo or with a driver so there was no drop off out front. He was still worried this wasn't the greatest idea. Rachel was adamant about wanting to go though but he was ready to leave at a moment's notice if needed. It didn't matter to him.

 

Rachel squeezed his hand as they started to get noticed. Aside from 'The Today Show', she hadn't ventured out to be photographed or interviewed. It drove Alison nuts but it was what she wanted. She wasn't ready for the big parties and gathers with photographers galore and reporters wanting a word. She much rather do all her interviews by emails. "God JC, please don't leave me." She clutched his hand tighter eyeing the pack of photographers.

 

'Bad idea! Bad idea!' JC's mind screamed when he heard Rachel's plea. He wanted to pull her into a hug, reassure her he wasn't going anywhere but he knew she wouldn't let go of his hand. He held her hand tighter and pressed a kiss to the side of her head much to the delight of the photographers. Their flashbulbs went off rapidly. His name was already being shouted for interviews by reporters. He stopped before the gauntlet began. "What do you want to do?"

 

"I..." Rachel took a deep breath. She hadn't been prepared for this at all. She knew what it all sounded like; the camera shutters and people yelling to turn this way and that way. People telling you to move on, further down the carpet because there had been another arrival. She knew how to schmooze on the questions, keep everyone happy, say the right thing. Everything was in slow motion.

 

"We don't have to do any interviews or photographs," JC continued. He stepped in front of Rachel blocking her from view. He reached down to her hand still at her side and relieved her of the phone. "We can go right inside, to our seats. We can leave if you want to."

 

Rachel looked at his words on the phone and breathed slowly. She was fine. She smiled at JC. "I'm okay. Just...a little out of my comfort zone at the moment. It's like I'm in a movie where everyone is yelling at the main character but all they hear is a roar."

 

JC frowned. He didn't like this at all. "Seriously, we can leave."

 

"I'm okay," Rachel took her phone back from JC, sending him a smile. "I'm okay with pictures, a couple of interviews. Alison's gonna kill me. Just...don't let them ask anything too ridiculous. Don't let them get out of hand. And keep me moving. I have a tendency to babble and linger."

 

JC laughed and kissed her forehead before they moved to the carpet in front of the photographers. He held her against his side, his hand at her waist.

 

"Squeeze once to look left and twice to look right," Rachel told him as she smiled. She wrapped her arm behind him, placing her hand on his lower back. She stared at the photographers in front of her smiling and relaxing into JC, trusting him to steer her correctly. She felt his fingers squeeze twice on her waist and she flickered her eyes to the right.

 

They moved down the row of photographers, stopping for a couple of interviews with reporters Rachel knew. The questions were easy and for that she was thankful. How was she doing? How was her recovery process coming along? Anything new to report on her hearing? Questions about her new single 'See You Again', which Capitol had released a couple days ago.

 

"I think I moved back to the A-List," JC teased after they had finished the interviews. He was fairly certain there had been hundreds of photos snapped. He led her out of the lobby and down the hallway to a door.

 

"What are we doing?" Rachel asked following JC through the door. The door led to a small room with a window over looking the theatre. The room was big enough to hold six chairs in a row with good enough aisles on either side. "Are we in a quiet room?"

 

"More or less," JC said. "It's really used for private party-type viewings. I was able to snag it tonight for our use." He quieted, watching Rachel walk around the chairs to stand in front of the window looking out over the theatre where quests were milling about, talking before they would take their seats for the viewing. When he saw her look at her phone he continued talking. "I just made a few phone calls... before it starts they'll come in and hook up a screen that's hooked into the movie equipment that will not only play the movie, but the closed captions as well."

 

"You're the best JC," Rachel grinned at him. Walking around the chairs, she went to him wrapping her arms around his neck. "Thank you," she kissed him.

 

JC placed his hands on her hips, keeping her in place. "Save your praises until it has actually worked."

 

"If it doesn't oh well," Rachel shrugged. "We'll be alone in a dark theatre. Oh the possibilities..."

 

JC's lips curved into a smirk. "No way you're serious."

 

"No!" Rachel gasped. "Are you kidding me? What if it got back to my Mother! She'd be so ashamed! I'd never be able to show my face in Mississippi again."

 

JC laughed. He kissed her before pulling her into a hug. "If you want, we can go back out and mingle."

 

"I probably should," she leaned back in his arms, playing with the fringe on the one end of JC's scarf. "But I don't want to. Is that bad?" She asked meeting his eyes.

 

He smiled softly, shaking his head. "No. I understand."

 

"I shouldn't hide and I don't for the most part. I go out with you. Lance. I know that's not the same. I know a lot of people want interviews with me and I should talk to them..."

 

"No one says you have to talk to anyone," JC told her. "I don't know what's in your contracts but that all changed with your accident."

 

"A lot changed," she sighed looking down.

 

"Hey," he pulled her into a hug. "There were a couple changes for the better."

 

"Yeah. Ben's finally gone. I finally got time off and I finally am able to spend time with Lance." She giggled feeling JC's fingers start tickling her waist. She tried to worm her fingers around his and pull his hands away but it was no use. "And you!" She gasped as JC stopped tickling her. She caught her breath and looked at JC. "You happened. We happened and this is the best."

 

JC softened his grin. "The very best," he ducked his head, capturing her lips.

 

*~*

 

"Thank you JC," Rachel said as he held the car door open after the movie. Before she sat in the seat she leaned forward kissing him softly. "I never thought I could watch a movie in an actual theatre. It was... You are..." She smiled at him. "I love you."

 

JC grinned proudly, happy that he did well. He had been nervous when the movie began, so much so that he missed the beginning and had to play catch up. But it had all been worth it. Seeing the smile on Rachel's face right now, he would gladly do anything to keep it there. Hearing her declaration of love certainly didn't damper the night. "I love you too," he said. He kissed her again before helping her into her seat.

 

He started the car and put on his seat belt but made no move to pull out of the parking spot. "Where to? You said something about eating? Any special place?"

 

"We're overdressed for all the places I'm craving," she fingered the hem of her dress over her thigh. "Though I'm perfectly alright eating a burger and fries in this."

 

"Is that what you want?" JC had no problem going to a burger joint. He had no problem sitting down to eat inside dressed as he was. That's what made him love Rachel even more. Some of his previous girlfriends would have wanted to go out to a top tier, well-known establishment. Here Rachel was, wanting a burger and fries.

 

"Are you okay with that?" Rachel asked.

 

"Oh yeah," JC said he pulled away from his parking spot and out into traffic. "Have a particular place in mind?"

 

"There's a place on Pacific Coast that I'd always drag Lance to when I'm in town," Rachel told him. "They have this fifties style feel to it with the decor and the waitresses even wear poodle skirts. They have the best burger and cheese fries. Oh man I could go for a couple of their helpings of cheese fries alone!"

 

"I think I know the place you are talking about." JC had been to the diner once before but it had been awhile ago. He wasn't even sure it was still there. Food establishments came and went frequently.

 

Rachel wasn't sure what brought her attention to the radio. The conversation drifted off while she looked out the window, watching the scenery pass them by. Traffic was usually a pain on the Pacific Coast Highway and it was crowded tonight, but it was flowing. She couldn't wait for the return trip when she could look out her window to the ocean. Though the real pretty views would be hindered by the darkness.

 

Something had drawn her gaze away from window to the radio; its buttons and screen illuminated in blue. She liked that about JC's car. Instead of the usual green and white lights, he had blue. JC had told her before that when he was with her in the car, he didn't listen to the radio. She thought that was very sweet of him and told him he could listen, it didn't bother her but he still refused.

 

He never turned the radio off, just turned the volume completely down. His car was equipped Sirius satellite radio. The radio screen, with the blue backlight, would show the title of the song and the artist when a new song would start playing. There was also an info button you could press at any point and get the same information.

 

Looking at the screen, Rachel's breath caught when she saw 'See You Again' followed by 'Rachel Bass' appear on the screen. Her name went off quickly and she wasn't sure if she was just seeing things. With a shaking finger she reached out and hit the info button.

 

"What's wrong?" JC asked, glancing at Rachel. He looked at the radio - silenced of course - and tried to remember the station he had been listening to before he picked Rachel up. When he saw the song title on the screen his body slumped in realization. He had been listening to the 'The Highway' the current country radio station in hopes of hearing Rachel's newest single. "Hey," he reached out taking Rachel's hand in his, pulling it away from the button where she had pushed the info again. He brought her hand to his lips, kissing the back of her hand.

 

"They are playing my song," Rachel spoke softly, unable to look away from the radio. By now the screen at turned back to showing the station title. "I... I know the song was released. I know it's been playing on the radio. I've gotten tweets about the song. I just... I never expected to actually see it playing. Damnit," she whispered feeling tears well in her eyes.

 

"What?" JC asked, glancing at Rachel again. He swore softly when he saw her brush a finger across her cheek. He squeezed her hand and looked in the rearview mirror before changing lanes. When he could, he quickly crossed over the on coming traffic lanes into a small beach front parking area. There were a couple cars filling the spots so he picked on furthest away.

 

Putting the car in park, he unclipped his seat belt and Rachel's before pulling her into his arms. He held her while she cried softly and he wished he had had the notion to change the channel. The radio never crossed his mind.

 

"This is so stupid," Rachel mumbled gripping his jacket on his back. "I knew it was gonna be on the radio. I knew it was gonna be released. It's not like it's my very first song to be played on the air waves. So why am I crying?"

 

JC opened his mouth to reply but Rachel carried on. He wasn't sure she would have seen what he had said in the first place.

 

"It's just... my song..." she said in lieu of an explanation. She knew JC would understand. "It's the third single off 'Blown Away' and I can't do anything to promote it but tweet about it. I can't go to radio stations to talk about it, offer an acoustic version in their studios. I don't have a video to stop by CMT or GAC."

 

JC cupped her head, raising it. He wiped at the tears, brushing them away.

 

"I must look terrible," Rachel sniffled unlocking her phone again.

 

"You look beautiful," he kissed her softly. "You look just as beautiful as you did on all those magazine covers you've graced."

 

Rachel chuckled lightly. "That's a lie. I know my eye liner has streaked down my cheeks. But thank you," she smiled at him "I can remember what I was doing and where I was every time I heard one of my songs for the first time on the radio."

 

"And now you can remember driving in the car with me as the first time you saw 'See You Again' on the radio," JC gave her a lopsided smile.

 

Rachel smiled and shook her head. "True. I can file 'See You Again' down as being with you. 'Cause when I'm with you I can let my hair down. I can say anything crazy. I know you'll catch me right before I hit the ground.'"

 

"Serenaded with a Jessica Simpson song. Nice." JC grinned. "First time that's happened.

 

She blushed. "Popped into my head. I sang one of her songs before at a sound check party on the last tour. With the 'Play On' tour I started opening up my sound check for fans to come. They can request songs they want to hear, a little Q and A, photos, autographs. It was really fun. Usually every sound check, someone would ask me to sing someone else's song. Sometimes I'd know them, most times I didn't. Sometimes I didn't know some of my songs they wanted me to sing."

 

JC laughed. "If I had known this, I would have come to your sound check party on the 'Play On' tour when you were at the Staples Center."

 

"You would have caused a ruckus. I would have ceased to matter."

 

"I would have requested some NSYNC."

 

"That's not a rare occurrence. You guys are requested usually every sound check. They always wanted to hear 'It's Gonna Be Me', 'Bye Bye Bye', 'No Strings Attached', 'This I Promise You'. I'd get through singing one of them and we'd all sigh and wish there'd be a reunion tour." She looked at him slyly.

 

"Don't even..." JC warned. "How come I've never heard you sing these before? Surely the fans were recording them."

 

"YouTube my love," she patted his cheek softly. "They are on YouTube."

 

"Are you okay?" JC asked when she fell quiet. He watched her stare at the radio, by now way past Rachel's song. He cupped her chin, bringing her gaze back to his and repeated the question.

 

After glancing at her phone, she nodded. "Yeah; just a little sad." She looked out the windshield seeing the ocean waves rolling up on the shoreline. "Come on," she gave JC a smile and reached down unbuckling the tiny strap around her right ankle, removing her heel before doing the same with her left. "Just for a few minutes," she climbed from the car, swiping her fingers beneath her eyes hoping she got rid of most of the make up streaks.

 

"I really outta start preparing for this," JC mumbled to himself and he toed off his shoes and removed his socks. He turned off the car and grabbed his phone from the cup holder and climbed out. Once he locked his car he stuffed his keys into his pocket. Rachel hadn't waited for him and was already in the sand. She stood just out of reach from the waves nipping her toes and stared out over the vast ocean. The wind whipped her hair around. With the fading colors of day before total darkness set in, he stopped a few yards behind her and opened the camera on his phone. He held it up, snapping the photo of her. With the moment captured, he put his phone in his pocket and closed the distance between them.

 

Rachel leaned back into JC's chest when he wrapped his arms around her stomach. She placed her arms on top of his and relaxed against him; letting him warm her body against the coolness coming off the water. Letting her eyes drift close she started to sing softly.

 

Said goodbye turned around and you were gone gone gone. Fading into the setting sun, slipped away. But I won't cry cause I know, I'll never be lonely. For you are the stars to me. You are the light I follow.

 

As Rachel's voice slipped into the chorus, JC closed his eyes. The melodious tone wrapped around him, seeping inside him. His heart wanted to sing out loud with her for this wonderful voice sounded just like the very first time he heard her on the radio. Her voice was soft and rich. It warmed him. Wanting to enjoy every moment of this impromptu concert, he embraced her tighter. The words drifted around them but it was only his ears that heard the marvelous song.

 

I will see you again. O-o-o-oh. This is not where it ends. I will carry. You with me. Ooooh, 'til I see you again.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical