Chapter Twenty-Eight

 

Rachel had always imagined how her life would change with the utterance of three little words. How she would feel hearing the man she loved express his love for her. She's heard the phrase many times before; from her father, her grandfather, her brother. Even her fans shouted their declaration of love. In all her years, she never imagined those life changing words would not be about love.

 

I can hear.

 

That simple but poignant phrase had set a roller coaster of two weeks in motion. Least she thought it was only two. It could have been more. New York. LA. This morning show, that morning show. That talk show, that late night show. Magazine interview in New York, Nashville appearance. Meeting here, meeting there. It was the single most craziest week she had ever been apart of.

 

Aside from all the media outlets there were also doctor appointments and business meetings all the way from record label executives to public relations reps from the companies she represented. Everyone wanted a piece of her. She just wanted a piece of her bed.

 

"What time zone am I in?"

 

"Pacific," Megan said as they climbed into her car in the short term parking lot of LAX. "We're in Los Angeles."

 

"Oh thank God," Rachel moaned in appreciation sinking down into the passenger seat. "Take me to Burbank. Better yet, take me to JC's. I forget what his face looks like. I need a refresher."

 

"Just his face?" Megan grinned as she pulled up to the gate and feed the ticket into the machine to get the amount she owed.

 

"Among other things," Rachel leaned her head against the window as Megan drove out of the parking lot after the arm rose. "I feel like our relationship has been nothing but missed phone calls and short texts that I usually don't return until hours later."

 

"Well... that's pretty much what it's boiled down to," Megan said sympathetically. "It's not going to get any easier."

 

"Don't tell me that," Rachel groaned. "Can we play hooky the rest of the day?" She sighed dramatically when Megan shook her head. "Slave driver."

 

"Everyone wants a piece of you," Megan said echoing one of Rachel's earlier thoughts.

 

"I'm sure JC does too."

 

Megan snorted in laughter. "I bet he does."

 

"I know," Rachel said as her brain fired with an idea. "You can call JC, Michael and Lance; have them set up some sort of kidnapping deal. They can whisk me away to some unknown location where I can catch up on all my lost sleep."

 

"JC whisks you anywhere, sleep is the last thing you're going to be catching up on," Megan grinned waiting to turn into the parking lot at Capitol Records.

 

"It will eventually," Rachel grinned. "JC's good but even he needs to rest."

 

"La la la," Megan sang as she parked the car. "I don't want to hear this. Come on, let's go. After this meeting I'll deposit you on JC's doorstep."

 

"Music to my ears."

 

*~*

 

"JC! JC! JC! JC!" Rachel yelled as she entered his house. She swung the door a little too hard in her excitement; it shut loudly against the jam. She could hardly contain the excitement. It bubbled up and spilled over as she nearly ran through the house in search of her boyfriend.

 

She gave a shriek when JC appeared at the top of the basement stairs at the same time she stepped in front of the door. "JC!" She jumped into his arms, wrapping her arms around his neck.

 

JC laughed because Rachel's mood was contagious. He held her tight around the waist forgiving her for scaring him with the way she yelled his name and slammed his door making him think something was wrong. Pulling back slightly, he was able to capture her lips in a long overdue kiss.

 

"Hi," Rachel grinned when the kiss broke and she stared into the blue eyes she'd missed so much. "I'm not sure if you remember me, but I am your girlfriend."

 

"Now that you mention it, you are starting to look familiar," JC said, pretending to look Rachel over as if to jog his memory.

 

"Let me remind you," Rachel cupped his cheeks with her hands and brought his mouth back to hers. She settled her lips over his as she took control over the kiss. At first she kept it light and playful before she pressed her body closer to his and ran her tongue along his bottom lip. When his lips parted beneath hers, she entered his mouth stroking his tongue. JC's arms tightened around her, his hands pressed against her back, pushing her closer to his body. She moaned into the kiss when she felt his hardness pressing against her. She moved her hands over his cheeks; one went to his hair, threading her fingers through the short brown locks; the other rest on his shoulder.

 

"Mmm," JC said when the kiss ended. He blinked his eyes open staring at Rachel's flushed face. Her eyes had darkened from their normal bright yellow-green to a jade. "I think it's coming back to me. I bet if you do that again..." his words were muffled when Rachel kissed again. This time, he took control. He walked her backward until she was trapped between his body and the wall. He pressed against her. He ran his fingers over her waist until the fitted shirt moved and he was able to dip his beneath the shirt and touch skin; smooth, silky soft skin.

 

"I missed you." JC broke the kiss long enough to whisper the words. He tilted his head, changing the angle of the kiss. Her lips parted under his and he moved his tongue into her mouth where he stroked her tongue. When her lips closed around his tongue sucking slightly his body hardened. His hips surged forward; his hardness pressing into the v of her legs. He loved how their bodies aligned perfectly.

 

"Not nearly as much..." Rachel gasped tilting her head as JC moved down her neck kissing lightly. Her fingers tightened in his hair when he found a particular sensitive spot on her neck. She gasped softly. "As much as I missed you. JC..." she moaned rolling her head as JC moved to the other side of her neck. "Keep it up and I'm gonna be a puddle right here on the floor."

 

JC smiled against her neck hearing the words. "We could move this somewhere more comfortable. Where we can continue this, fall sleep," he whispered; the hot air whispering over her neck. He felt a shiver course through her body. "Wake up and do it again."

 

Rachel used the hand on his head to guide his lips back to hers. "No need to convince me. I'll follow you anywhere."

 

*~*

 

Rachel blinked her eyes open feeling the soft caress against her cheek. She turned her head and saw JC smiling down at her.

 

"Hey," he said when her eyes met his. He brushed the hair off her forehead. "I didn't want to wake you but I didn't want you missing supper."

 

"What time is it?" Rachel yawned and sat up in bed, keeping the blankets tucked beneath her armpits to hide her nakedness. Not that he hadn't seen it all before. 'And kissed every inch of the skin she was covering,' the thought brought a blush to her face.

 

"Eight," JC answered. "You're gonna have to tell me what you were thinking to bring that blush across your face," he smirked when the red darkened. "Now I'm really curious."

 

"I'll tell you when you're old enough," Rachel grinned cheekily.

 

"Old enough!" JC barked in laughter. "Need I remind you that I am older than you?"

 

"I know what an old man you are." Her giggles turned into a shriek when JC pounced on her attacking her sides with his fingers. She squirmed and laughed, begging for mercy until tears escaped from the corner of her eyes. "I give! I give!"

 

"I didn't hear you complaining about my age a few hours ago," JC said smartly ceasing his attack on Rachel.

 

"A few hours ago, I wasn't saying much of anything," she said coyly, fixing the blankets back around her. She wiped the stray tears away.

 

"I recall you saying my name," JC leaned in, placing his hands on the bed on either side of Rachel's hips and brushed his lips against her. "Many times."

 

"If I remember correctly, and I'm on virtually no sleep so I could have been imagining things, there was a moment when you weren't able to speak correctly," she met his lips again in a deeper kiss. "No no," she murmured against them when he tried to part her lips. "I thought I heard something about food. Feed me, C." She poked him in his stomach.

 

"You expecting supper in bed? Come on."

 

"Is it ready or do I have time to take a shower?" Rachel asked when JC stood up from the bed.

 

"Go shower," JC said. "I'll be waiting downstairs."

 

"I'll be quick," she pecked him on the lips and once her left the room she crawled from beneath the covers and made her way into the bathroom that was connected to JC's room. She stared longingly at the deep Jacuzzi style tub. What she wouldn't give to fill it up with the hottest water she could stand and sink into its depths. She wondered briefly how into eating JC was before her own stomach answered her thought. 'Later,' she promised the tub and made her way toward the walk-in shower.

 

It was a quick shower, not wanting to keep JC waiting. She threw on a simple white t-shirt and sweatpants from the clothes she had stashed in his drawer before rubbing a towel through her hair to dry it the best she could. When she was finished she made her way downstairs where she found JC in the kitchen, stirring a pan on the stove. Going up behind him, she wrapped her arms around his waist, laying her cheek on his back.

 

"Feel better?" JC turned the knob on the burner, turning it off. He crossed his arms over Rachel's and allowed himself to be held.

 

"I actually feel somewhat human." She hugged him tightly before standing on her tip toes to peer over his shoulder. "Yum. My favorite..." She said seeing pasta and marinara sauce; the bread cooling. Moving away from him, she grabbed the plates from the cupboard handing them to JC for him to dish out the pasta.

 

"Sit down and I'll grab the wine," he put the plate holding a few pieces of bread on the table between their two plates.

 

"Oh!" Rachel whirled around stopping JC from moving away. "I completely forgot! I had a bunch of stuff to tell you when I got here."

 

"And here I thought you were just excited to see me," JC teased.

 

"I was happy to see you. I am happy to see you," Rachel amended. "But," she was nearly bouncing with excitement as she smiled at him. "Guess who just scored her seventeenth number one single?"

 

JC furrowed his eyebrows pretending to think; a smile twitching on his lips. "Oh man... Uhm... Taylor Swift?"

 

Rachel narrowed her eyes at him. "Somebody wants to be sleeping alone tonight."

 

JC laughed drawing her to him. He hugged her tight, kissing her lips. "See You Again went number one? That is awesome Rachel." He pulled her into his arms again. "I am so proud of you. Seventeen number ones," he shook his head. "You are kind of amazing."

 

Rachel tossed her head back laughing. "Only kind of?"

 

"Completely. Absolutely. Totally." JC grinned, the corner of his eyes crinkling. "I love you."

 

Rachel's smile softened hearing JC's words. There had been no words to describe how she felt standing in Lance's piano room a couple weeks ago when she first heard JC say those words to her. She had been already crying, the flood gates having been opened by hearing JC sing the song she had desperately wanted to sing. The words had brought more tears and she made him repeat them - many times. "I will never ever get tired of hearing that."

 

"Good because I will never stop saying it to you." He leaned down kissing her again.

 

"Any other good news you want to share that you didn't get to earlier?" JC asked after their kiss ended.

 

Rachel nodded. "I have one more piece of good news and very big favor to ask."

 

"Okay," JC said, still smiling. He wasn't sure what Rachel needed from him, but he was already going through his schedule. "What's your good news?"

 

"I have gotten the okay on the idea Michael and I came up with for the See You Again music video!"

 

"All of it?" JC asked incredulously. "Even the ending?" He asked after Rachel nodded.

 

"Yes! The whole thing!" Rachel said, jumping excitedly. "Isn't that awesome!"

 

"It is. I can't believe they changed their minds." JC hugged Rachel to him. "This will be the best video in a long time. I can't wait to see it come together."

 

"Well..." Rachel looked up at him with a smile. "About that..."

 

"What?" He asked suspiciously.

 

"You see," Rachel said slowly looking down slightly nervous. "Well, I kinda want you to direct it. Not kind of," she raised her head to look at JC, seeing his eyes wide with surprise. "I want you to direct. Will you?"

 

"Wow," JC whispered in shock. He wasn't expecting directing her music video to be the favor. "You want me to direct?"

 

"Yes," Rachel nodded firmly. "I wanted you to direct from the very beginning when the video idea first came up."

 

"Why didn't you say anything?"

 

"When we started talking about the video and ideas, putting Michael - then Lance - in the video was sort of selfish on my part. I couldn't hear. It was terrifying to think about how I was going to be in the middle of a music shoot and I couldn't hear. God, JC I was scared."

 

JC kicked himself for not realizing this when it was happening. He knew she was nervous, but he didn't know she was downright scared.

 

"So I wanted someone familiar to be a part of it with me. Someone that knew me, that ultimately wasn't there to make buck. But then Michael and Lance wouldn't be in any shots with me. That's when I figured if I had someone familiar behind the camera... you'd be right there the whole time and it wouldn't be so scary. Then the idea was scrapped... I knew they wouldn't okay you to direct."

 

"I would have still been there," he stared down into Rachel's eyes. "I would have been there for support. If you needed, I would have stood next to the camera the whole time.

 

Rachel gave a small smile, raising her hands to hold on to his wrists. "I don't need you there to hold my hand now or Michael and Lance. This is a big video for me considering. I want you to be a part of it."

 

JC's face softened as he looked at Rachel. He could read the emotions in her gaze; could see how much it meant to her to have him a part of this. "Of course I'll direct."

 

"Really!" Rachel's face radiated happiness and JC felt like the greatest man in the world.

 

"Yes," JC laughed as Rachel pulled him into a hug. "I wouldn't miss the opportunity to boss the superstar around."

 

"Just not too bossy," Rachel pulled back, grinning at him. "This superstar would hate to have to make you sleep alone."

 

"So would the director," JC said solemnly. He'd been sleeping alone way too much recently. He hated it. He had gotten used to Rachel being there. Before he could open his mouth to speak, a small noise sounded that caused Rachel to laugh.

 

"Sorry," she said pressing a hand to her stomach. "I don't remember the last time I ate."

 

"Then let's remedy that right now," JC took her hand and lead her to the table helping her in her seat. He quickly poured wine into the wine glasses before he too, took his seat. "Now tell me everything that's happened over the past couple of weeks that you couldn't tell me on the phone or that you didn't have time."

 

Rachel stabbed her fork into the rotini noodles taking a bite of the pasta goodness. With her legs crossed beneath the table, she was able to run her toe along his calf muscle, feeling the coarse hair. After taking a sip of her wine, she proceeded to tell JC everything that happened on her whirlwind two week trip and didn't leave a detail out.

 

*~*

 

"I have a surprise for you," JC said later that night from his spot on the couch. Rachel was curled up in his arms next to him. The TV was on, but the volume was low. They spent most of the night talking. He was sure there was a few times when she dozed off during a lull in their conversation. Jet lag was catching up with her. Jet lag and being on the go nearly every day; whisked this way and that. He certainly remembered those days. Running on no sleep, falling asleep anywhere they could for however long they could. At nineteen-twenty years old, it had been easy. He wasn't so sure he could do that now.

 

"You do?" Rachel asked picking her head off his chest. "Really?"

 

"Really," he kissed the crown of her head as he pushed himself up off the couch. "Stay right here."

 

"I'm too tired to move," she said to him, lying on her head down on the arm of the couch, warm from his body.

 

"Don't fall asleep," he warned. "Or no surprise for you."

 

"I'm awake; I'm awake." She lifted her arm, shooing him away. "Surprise JC."

 

JC left the room with a smile on his face. He was happy to have Rachel back in California. He couldn't believe how rough the two weeks had been for him; how much he missed her. Sure they had text and spoke on the phone, but she had always been busy and the phone calls were never long enough. A couple times, she had actually fallen asleep on him.

 

In the spare bedroom, he went into the closet. There he carefully lifted the flat package from the floor. It was the one place in his house he was sure Rachel would have no reason to go in. He was pretty positive she hadn't been in the room since he had shown her his place for the first time. He moved slowly so not to disturb the two bags that sat on top.

 

Back in the living room he shook his head, smiling seeing Rachel sleeping. He gently sat the items on the coffee table. Turning around he leaned down kissing her lips softly. "Hey," he whispered. "If you want to sleep that's okay, I'll take your surprise back."

 

"No-no," Rachel said before yawning. "I'm awake."

 

"Right," JC laughed. "We can hold off until tomorrow. I know you're tired."

 

"No, I'm okay," she sat up and swung her legs in front of her. "Just don't expect me to be coherent..." Her voice fell off when she saw the gifts on the table in front of her. "What is this? What did you get me?"

 

"You'll have to open them to find out," he said coyly.

 

"But you didn't have to get me something. JC..."

 

"I know I didn't," he took a seat next to her on the couch. "I wanted to do this. I didn't do this alone. I had help. I just know how much it meant to you and... You better open it before I just tell you what it is."

 

She palmed his cheek and gave him a quick kiss. "Thank you."

 

"That one is actually mine," he pointed to the bag on right. "The other one came from Lance and then Michael."

 

"Interesting," she moved the bags off the flat cardboard box and slowly started opening it. JC had said it was from Michael. Judging by the package alone, she was sure it was a painting. She'd put money on it. Getting the end open she stuck her hand in and smiled when she grasped a canvas. She wasn't prepared when she pulled it into view. A gasped escaped and she quickly pushed the box away revealing the entire picture. "But..." she started staring at the painting Michael had done. The tornado, the debris, her dress, hair... everything was the same. "I don't understand... it was destroyed. How..." she looked at JC for help.

 

JC smiled understandingly. The emotions that ran across her face made his heart expand and he couldn't wait to see her reaction to the other gifts. "Michael painted a new one."

 

"Oh..." A lump rose in her throat thinking of Michael deciding to re-paint a picture for her. Even though he was plenty busy with commissioned paintings, he had found the time to do this for her. She had the strong urge to hug him - tightly. "Damn him; he's gonna make me cry."

 

"He'll be sorry he missed it," He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her against his side. He wanted to hurry her along and had to fight to relax but he couldn't wait for her to open his bag.

 

"I'll find him tomorrow and hug him long enough to make him uncomfortable and Lance jealous." She sat the painting carefully back on the table and reached for one of the two bags. JC had said this one was from Lance and she couldn't imagine what he had gotten her. She parted the tissue paper and pulled out a picture frame. She smiled seeing a photograph of Lance, Michael, her and JC; their arms around each other smiling nicely for the camera. It had been a fun 'double-date' that night, she recalled.

 

"Fun night," JC echoed her thoughts when he saw the picture. He didn't snoop through the items when Lance and Michael brought them. He had assumed they were just the pictures replacing the ones destroyed. This photo wasn't one of them. It had been taken a few days before Rachel had gotten her hearing back and was whisked away to New York.

 

"There's more..." she said peeking back in the bag, catching sight of more photos. These, however, were not in frames. She placed the framed photo on the end table next to her displaying it. She pulled the pictures out, placing the bag on the floor. The very first photo was of her, Stacy and Lance. The next was of her parents, her, Stacy and Lance. Tears welled in her eyes as she flipped through the photos that Ben had destroyed. "He found the copies..." When she got to the final photo, the tears spilled over. It was a picture of her and *NSYNC taken after they released their first album in the US. "Where did he find this?"

 

"It wasn't easy," JC said staring at the picture. Rachel stood in the middle and the guys around her. "He called everyone he knew who might have had a copy of it, begging them to go through their photo albums. I think Lynn was the one who ended up having a copy."

 

"I'm not sure I want to open yours," she said, sitting the pictures on the end table in front of the frame.

 

"What? Why?" JC asked quickly.

 

"I'm already crying," she wiped at her tears. "I'm not sure what's in there, but I don't know if I can handle it."

 

"Come on," JC nudged her.

 

Rachel reached for the remaining bag. The first she thing she noticed was it was heavier. She gave him a look before parting the tissue paper. Once she saw the silver flag in the air it was over. She buried her head in her hands and let the tears fall.

 

"Rachel..." JC took the bag from her lap, sitting it on the floor before he took her in his arms. "Don't cry..." he whispered stroking her hair. He kept that up until she finally lifted her head to look at him. He smiled weakly, wiping her tears with his hands.

 

"That's not one of your other ones, is it?"

 

JC shook his head and watched as more tears rolled down her cheeks. He brushed those away too. "No. If you want, you can go and look."

 

Rachel picked the bag back up. This time she removed the statue from the bag and stared at it. "But it was broken."

 

"I made a few calls, was an ass to a few people, but was able to find someone who could fix it," JC explained. It cost him a pretty penny, more so than to just get a replacement one. Seeing this reaction made it all worth it. He would gladly do it again.

 

"I can't believe you got it fixed," she whispered running her fingers over the award. It looked like it was in mint condition. She was in awe.

 

"I know how much it meant to you. I know how much all those things in your room meant."

 

"So you did this for me. You replaced them?"

 

"Not all of them unfortunately, but with help I was able to get most of..." he was cut off by Rachel throwing her arms around his neck and pressing his lips to hers. He widened his eyes briefly before they slipped shut and he wound his arms around her back holding her to him, returning the kiss.

 

"I love you, JC," Rachel whispered, breaking the kiss. "I love you. This has been the best gift anyone as ever given me. All those items Ben broke were worthless to anyone else... but to me they were everything. You gave them back to me."

 

JC leaned in, kissing her again. "There's more in the bag."

 

"More?" Rachel questioned, raising an eyebrow. "But..." She looked in the bag again and let out a shriek. "You found it!" She pulled the frameless picture from the bag, only then noticing there was more than one. "How did you find it? I never saw it anywhere on the Internet!"

 

"Trust me, I know," JC said the smile wide on his face. "That's where I looked first. I finally had to call Melinda and Kari."

 

Rachel stared down at the picture of her and JC from the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards. One of her most coveted pictures. The one photo that destroyed her the most when she realized it was trashed. "I can't believe you found it," she whispered and moved the photo to look at the others and gapped.

 

"Apparently there were more pictures taken that night," JC said. He had been surprised when the e-mail from Melinda came through with not only the photo Rachel had had framed in her house, but more as well. There were a couple of them on the red carpet, some of the seated and then from the after party.

 

"JC... I..." she was speechless. She had no idea what to say. What could she say? This man, on his own, had gone out and searched for things that meant nothing to him but meant the world to her. He enlisted people to help him. He didn't have to do this. She had planned on doing it herself, finding copies of the photos, knowing she'd at least find the family ones. But to have JC do it... "I don't know what to say.... I love you." she said looking at him.

 

JC reached out and cupped her chin. "That says it all," he said before kissing her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex originalcharacter jc lance girlradical