Author's Chapter Notes:
Annaleigh, Jasmine, and Mrs. Bass have a girl's day out.

-15-

“Thank you for lunch today, Annaleigh,” Diane Bass said, giving Annaleigh’s shoulder a gentle squeeze.

“Oh, it’s my pleasure, Miss Diane,” Annaleigh said with a smile as she pulled open the door to the Hard Rock Café, ushering her and Jasmine inside. “You needed to get out here once before headin’ back home.”

“Ahh, a day free of men,” Jasmine said with a smile as she pushed her sunglasses up into her hair. “Just what the doctor ordered.” Annaleigh snorted. As if she wouldn’t trade it for the chance to spend time with Gabe had it come up. They all needed a day free of worrying about Lance, though. There was some tension with Lance’s constant insisting that he was ok and everybody just wanting to look out for him. It was enough to have anybody go stir crazy.  

“Hi,” the hostess said with a bright smile as they walked up to her stand, “how many in your party today?”

“Just three today,” Annaleigh replied, adjusting the strap of her purse on her shoulder, “under the name Carr.”

The woman slid her finger down a list before tapping her finger tip next to a name. “Yup, I’ve got it right here.” She grabbed three menus from the side of her stand before tilting her head to the side, indicating for them to follow her. She zig zagged her way past tables stopping at a station to grab silverware on the way before coming up to a booth. “Here you go, ladies,” she said as she set the menus down onto a table, “I hope you enjoy your time here today.”

“Thank you,” Jasmine chirped sliding into one side of the booth, with Diane sitting next to her. Annaleigh slid into the booth opposite the two of them.

“Could I get anything for you to drink?” she asked.

“A sweet lemonade for me, please,” Annaleigh replied, setting her purse down between herself and the wall.

“That sounds good,” Jasmine said as she opened her menu.

“That would be three lemonades, please,” Diane said with a warm smile.

“Alright, I’ll give you time to look over the menus and be back soon with your drinks.” The woman quickly jotted down their drink order on a small notepad she retrieved from her pocket. She gave them all a small nod before heading back towards the front of the restaurant.

“The music is a bit loud in here,” Diane commented as she settled into her seat. She then waved her hand in the air, chuckling. “That could just be me. I know how loud y’all like listening to your music.” Annaleigh caught Jasmine’s eye across the table and lifted her menu over her face to stop herself from laughing out loud.

“You can order whatever you’d like today, it’s my treat,” Annaleigh announced as she quickly scanned the menu. She decided on a barbeque bacon cheeseburger and set down her menu, folding her hands on top of the table as she waited.

As they waited for a waiter or waitress to return with their drink orders, the three conversed in the weather, Mr. and Mrs. Bass’s trip to California and how things were going back home. Annaleigh was only half listening and joined in the conversation here and there. There was too much on her mind; she had asked them there to tell them her plans of moving back home. She knew they’d be excited, happy and supportive of her decision, like they had been when she first announced that she was going to leave Mississippi to join *NSYNC’s live band.

She tuned back in when she heard her brother’s name. Jasmine was turned in her seat, facing Diane as she talked. “We’ve just really been getting along well, lately,” she was saying. She tilted her head to the side, using her hand to prop her head up. “More so than usual, but I’m really liking spending time with him.”

“That’s wonderful to hear,” Diane said, reaching out a hand to brush Jasmine’s hair from her face. “Gabe is a nice young man.”

“Oooh,” Annaleigh said with a teasing smile. “I didn’ know things were getting so serious between the two of you.”

“It’s not, I don’ think,” Jasmine said, her smile fading in the corners just slightly. “We’re just hangin’ out.”She exaggeratedly tossed her hair over her shoulder and Annaleigh laughed. “We all can’t have the ‘Will they, won’t they’ type of relationship like you and Darren have. Honestly, when you told me he kissed you, I didn’ believe it. I thought for sure it’d be another few years.”

Annaleigh’s lips twitched and she instantly reached for her lemonade. She lifted the glass to her lips and took a long sip, the sides of her jaw hurting as the sugar shot through her salivary glands. “Mmm, this is good,” she mused aloud.

Jasmine’s eyes narrowed just slightly as she set down her menu. “You’re makin’ small talk,” she commented, pointing a finger in her best friend’s direction. The tip was a light pink, looking darker as the sunlight shined in through the window.

“Is that weird?” Annaleigh asked after she smacker her lips.

“For you, dear?” Diane replied with a gentle smile, shaking out her napkin before placing it in her lap. “Yes.” Annaleigh made a humming sound and Jasmine’s eyes narrowed just slightly, scrutinizing her friend. Annaleigh lifted her eyebrows, trying to keep her face as neutral as possible.

Jasmine, however, was always one to know who was causing the gossip mill to run dry and would push and prod until she got all the information she wanted and all with a smile on her face; usually it left those trying to stay tight lipped confused as to how they cracked so easily.

“There’s somethin’ you’re not telling me,” she pushed, talking in a sing-song voice. She laced her fingers together, leaning forward to rest her elbows on the table. “I can tell.”

“Elbows off the table, please,” Diane commented, tapping at Jasmine’s forearm with the pads of her fingers.

“Sorry.” Jasmine walked her elbows off the end of the table, pressing her weight against her forearms to keep them up against the side of the table. “Spill it, girl.”

“Ok, ok, ok,” Annaleigh said with a sigh. It was better not to draw out a conversation like this with her. She palmed her forehead. “I haven’t even told Lance this, ok?” She ran her hand up over her face and over the top of her head, frowning as a smile lifted the corners of Jasmine’s lips. “Well, ya don’ have to get too excited about it.”

“Hey, if you haven’t even told Lance, it’s a big deal,” Jasmine replied, putting her hands up defensively before she snapped her fingers with a loud pop. Diane lifted an eyebrow before it settled and she twisted her mouth to the side staying silent, albeit looking interested.

Annaleigh let out a sigh. “The time you all think was the first time Darren and I kissed…wasn’t the first time,” she slowly replied, her face scrunching up as the words came out of her mouth. Jasmine’s eyes on the other hands got increasingly wider with each word before she slapped her hands down onto the table.

Shut. Up.” She leaned forward over the table and Annaleigh grasped her glass of tea before she knocked it over. “Nuh-uh.” Diane’s eyebrows twitched, but continued to stay silent.

“I’m being serious,” Annaleigh replied. She sat back until she felt the cushions of the booth press into her back. “Remember when Miss Elaine got married and she invited the congregation to the reception?”  Jasmine nodded. “Remember when you couldn’t find me for part of it?”

“Yeahhh.” Jasmine held out the word.

Annaleigh could remember that day vividly. She was eleven years old and hated having to wear the itchiest spring dress for the nuptials due to the blades of grass that slid down it with each roll she took down the hill of the grassy clearing that afternoon.

She had only been warned so many times not to get grass stains on her good dress, but she wouldn’t pass up the chance to run around barefoot on the cool grass…and maybe show the boys what was what from time to time. Nevertheless, she had made sure to stop and pick up as many flowers as she could find for a bouquet for her mom to soften the blow. She’d rather be knee deep in cow dung than get a tongue lashing once she returned home.

“Nice bouquet.”

Annaleigh straightened from her crouched position and tilted her head back, her side braid slipping off her shoulder as she did so. She brushed her arm with the palm of her hand, frowning as she looked up at Darren who was crouched on the lowest, strongest branch.

“Ooooh.” She pointed her finger up at him. “Your momma’s goin’ to get mad at you. Messin’ up your nice clothes.”

“Sure, Miss Roly-Poly.” Darren rolled his eyes before jumping out of the tree, landing on the soft ground with a thump. “Who’s the groom?”

Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him. “Not you,” she replied. She stuck her nose in the air, hugging her bouquet to her chest.

“Wait a minute.” Jasmine lifted her hands in the air before turning to give their waiter a bright smile in thanks as they set her grilled chicken sandwich down in front of her. “I thought you always liked my brother. I don’t get why but still.”

“You interrupted my story to insult your brother?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting upwards. She then gave their waitress a smile. She put her nose close to her bacon cheeseburger and smiled as she took in a deep smell. “Thank you, miss.”

“Yes, thank you.” Diane reached for the napkin-wrapped silverware. “This all looks delicious.”

“Just holler if you need anything else.” The waitress gave a smile, tapping her pen against the notepad in her hand before making her way across the eatery, her heels clacking on the floor.

“Hey, you opened up that door for me,” Jasmine replied before folding her hands in her lap. “I jus’ said my peace and closed it.” Annaleigh heard Diane chuckle before she quickly led a prayer to bless their food. “Amen.”

“Anyway,” Annaleigh reached for a French fry and popped it into her mouth. She chewed quickly, the heat burning her tongue, “I did like Darren, but not as much at the time. He jus’ got on my nerves too much.”

“Awww, that’s called flirting, honey,” Jasmine said with a smirk before lifting a corner of her tuna melt to her mouth.

 “An-y-wayyy,” Annaleigh said, putting the emphasis on the word, “I had gotten tired of seein’ Darren flirting with Connie Whitaker, tryin’ to make something happen between them so I kinda dared him to do it.”

A strangled gurgle hit the air before Jasmine started coughing, slapping at her chest. She chewed rapidly before swallowing.  “You dared him to kiss you?” she asked, her voice quickly hitting a high pitch. Annaleigh nodded feeling a small grin come to her face. She shrugged her shoulders, bowing her head, using her long hair to hide her burning cheeks. In all honesty, she had said that he wasn’t brave enough to ask Connie out and had quickly added that he probably wasn’t brave enough to kiss her.

“I am, too.” Darren insisted. He frowned, his eyebrows knitting together. “I just…don’ feel like it is all.” He kicked at the ground, leaving a dent in the soft earth, a small patch of mud covering the tip of his shoes.

“Mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa.” Annaleigh kissed the air before her lips pulled back into a devilish grin. “Chicken.”

“Am not.” Darren grabbed a handful of grass and whipped it at her. Annaleigh shrieked, jumping out of the way. She shot him an annoyed look and he shoved his hands into his pants pockets.

“Missed me, missed me, now y’gotta kiss me.” A laugh slipped past her lips as she jumped back and forth from foot to foot and pointed a small finger in his face. “I dare you to do it. I bet you won’t.” She put her hands on her hips and waved them like wings, the flower petals brushing against her arm. “Cluck, cluck, chicken. Jus’ walk right up to her and—mmph.”

Annaleigh felt her eyes widen and her cheeks puff up—she was sure she looked like a startled chipmunk—as Darren suddenly kissed her. It wasn’t more than a momentary peck but it had for that moment been the focus of her attention.

Afterwards he had made the comment that it was her turn to show that she wasn’t a chicken about anything and made her promise not to tell anyone about it. She didn’t think she would have anyway. It was something she could keep to herself and besides, a girl needed to keep secrets every now and then.

“You don’t say,” Diane said with a smile as soon as Annaleigh had finished her story, “fancy that.” She laughed when Annaleigh blinked in her direction.

“You knew?” Annaleigh asked.

 “Sweetie, I may be older than you, but that doesn’ mean I’m not tuned in to the signs,” Diane replied with a snort. “You think it’s the first time someone’s stolen kisses behind trees and bushes?” She tilted her head to the side. “Haven’t seen that boy smile like that since.”

“Well, I hope to try and do that again,” Annaleigh commented and got curious looks in response, “which is why I asked y’all here. I wanted to talk away from the boys for a little while. But, I’m gonna move home and I’m movin’ in with Darren.” She quickly launched into her explanation before anyone could say anything. “I’m goin’ to help him with his kids in show choir and this way while at home, Gabe and I can really get work done, and I can be back home like mom and dad have always wanted and that way I don’t have to have to worry about Elizabeth.”

“You really don’t like the woman, do you?” Jasmine asked after a moment of silence broken by her single chuckle. “I mean, do you know anything about her? She’s really nice and she just wants to get to know you.”

“I don’t have to know anything about her,” Annaleigh replied, feeling her upper lip curl slightly. “I guess I don’t have much to say in the matter considering she wants to get back together with my dad.”

“She’s Gabe’s mom, Annaleigh,” Jasmine said, slapping her hand down onto the table. “If she and your dad want to be serious again, they have every right, too. They’re adults with kids in their twenties.” She ran her fingers through her hair, fluffing up the back. She started talking faster and faster. “It’s not a bad thing for her to want to get to know you and I don’t think it’s fair that you’ll have open arms with Gabe but not with her and, I’m sorry, you’re being incredibly selfish.”

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up.

“Girls,” Diane said, reaching out her hands to tap their wrists, urging them to calm down.

“You are!” Jasmine insisted. Tilting her head to the side. A gasp of disbelief escaped from Annaleigh’s mouth. “You realize my brother could’ve been settled if he wasn’t jumping to your aide every time you needed him? Most girls aren’t too happy knowin’ there’s someone else a guy has even a sliver of his attention at times and it’s not fair for you to just expect him to drop everythin’ and help you all the time.”

“You’re making it sound like I’m some kind of harpy!” Annaleigh felt her muscles tense beneath her skin. A rush of heat enveloped her body, quickly proceeding anger. Jasmine reached for her glass of tea, chewing on the straw and Annaleigh let out a gasp. “You think I’m a harpy! Jazzy!”

“Girls.”

“Not a harpy,” Jasmine said with a shrug of her shoulders and yet her eyes flashed her annoyance. She was doing a better job at keeping her frustration an temper under control. ”Just selfish. Not all the time, though.”

“Well, thanks,” Annaleigh said with a mocking laugh, “I’m glad to know I’m not selfish all the time.”

“Ugggh, I’m not sayin’ it just to get you riled up, girl,” Jasmine said, slapping her hands down onto the table, baring her teeth. “I just want ta make sure you know what you’re doin’ this time and this time you’re actually goin’ to do somethin’ because even someone as patient as Darren can’t wait forever and he can’t always be your fall guy.”

“Girls!”

“I’m not bein’ selfish,” Annaleigh protested, widening her eyes. Jasmine lifted an eyebrow. Blast it, there was no denying what Jasmine said was true. That didn’t mean she wanted to hear it. Her heart hurt knowing that that was how she had been acting or how her friend had viewed her. She didn’t know how Darren could be that patient. Not that he didn’t go out on any dates, she knew that first hand, but…none of those girls had ever really stuck around for long. “Well, I’m not just selfish.” The other eyebrow joined the first. “I’m selfish and scared.”

Jasmine blinked once, twice, three times before her shoulders drooped and she put a hand to her face, shaking her head back and forth. “Oh my stars, Ace,” she said with a hint of a laugh, her lips parting into a smile, “all that confidence when you’re on stage but off…” She trailed off and looked over at Diane who looked as if she was just waiting to stop a physical fight. “What do you think, Miss Diane?”

“Oh, sweetie,” Diane said with a sigh, shaking her head slightly from side to side, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.” She pulled her eyebrows downwards into the soft, yet concerned look that parents could pull off so well. She had seen it enough to anticipate it and hate it on sight. “You can’t keep playin’ with his feelings like that. And livin’ together? Are you sure it’s a good idea; that you’re ready for it?”

“I’ve done it before,” Annaleigh muttered as if it would sway her. On the other hand, she instantly covered her mouth as soon as she said it. “I mean…” She looked over at Jasmine who’s eyes were wide

“I’ve learned long ago that times have changed, Annaleigh,” Diane said with a tinkling laugh. “Right around the time Lance was bein’ asked to audition for the band. Y’all aren’t growing up the way I did, or the way your parents did. We’re all adjusting, changing how we look at things.” She put a hand in the air. “Now, I may not be too thrilled at the idea, but as long as you respect yourself, I have nothing to worry about.”

“Now, your parents on the other hand, especially Mister Ryan,” Jasmine pointed out. She let out a low whistle, shaking her head from side to side.

 Annaleigh made a face. Her dad had gotten increasingly lax over the years, but he still had overprotective tendencies, especially when it came to her love life. It was with good reason she could admit as she was doing the same for herself, but to come from an outside source, it got frustrating. Not to mention, he had been acting that way the minute he got the inkling he was interested in boys.

“I know your father, well,” Diane said as she speared a forkful of her salad, “he just wants to see you happy.”

“Miss Diane, it’s different,” Annaleigh replied, hearing how soft her voice had gotten. “I know it’s been a long time, but, I’m going to give it a shot.”

Diane moved a hand over her mouth as she chewed on a bite of her salad. “With Darren?” she asked around her mouthful of food, eyebrows lifting upwards. Annaleigh nodded her head. “Honey, that’s wonderful.” She put her hand to her chest as she swallowed. “I understand your reservations, but have faith that He will help you make it through what it is that you want.” She gave Annaleigh a curious look. “Whenever you’re ready to ask for help, that is.”

“I’ve tried doing things on my own for this long, how do you know He’ll want to help?” Annaleigh asked, slowly blinking.

“Because He never leaves, even if you don’t want Him there,” Diane replied, pushing the prongs of her fork into a tomato. “He’ll always wait for you no matter what. Just keep your heart open, that’s all I’m asking. He’ll fill it with enough courage for the both of you. He knows how scared you are of him cheating and how scared you are of hurting him and whatever else it is that has undoubtedly made you scared of loving someone.”

Diane sighed. “It just hurts my heart to know that you haven’t allowed yourself to be truly happy,” she explained. “Not all men have instances where they make mistakes like your father or Wade and it hurts to know that you’re brushing every guy off. I’ve had a wonderful husband for many bliss filled years, and your father has been great with you and above all else, Wade is taking the right steps with his situation.”

She shifted in her seat to make sure she had both girls’ attention. Annaleigh took another sip from her lemonade, trying to get the stinging pain to capture her attention instead of the woman in front of her. But, she was right. She was herding all men into one category just based on two instances in her life and she knew she wasn’t truly happy with the way she was living. Being in California with Lance was just a distraction, it was safe.

A jolt hit Annaleigh’s stomach. Maybe that’s what I’m doin’; keeping it safe. She hated to think that she was just using Lance, but in reality, a part of her was. He was gay, there was nothing that would change that and in this case, she was using it to her advantage. He wouldn’t have any romantic interest in her, and she wouldn’t have to worry about him hurting her. The realization left a sour taste on her tongue.

 “Just remember, the both of you, that everyone deserve forgiveness and a second chance. It may not seem possible, or that you’ll be able to given the circumstances, but He does wonders.” Annaleigh slowly nodded as her words sank in.

He was able to help her pursue a passion of hers all the while giving her strength to help keep her family financially stable. She couldn’t ask for much in return than to have a chance to be happy and not be burdened. If this talk was any indication, it was that, no matter how scary it looked, she was doing the right thing and home was where she needed to be.

“Yeah, like He somehow put together Gabe and Jasmine,” Annaleigh said, finding an out and quickly changing the subject.

“We’re talking about you, not me,” Jasmine said, putting her hands in the air.

“If you two get married, you would be my half-sister-in-law,” Annaleigh continued. She then blinked, a confused look crossing her face. “I think. Is that right? Eh, I’ll let y’all think about that.”

“I know what you’re doin’,” Jasmine said, setting down her sandwich. A smile sat on her face as her cheeks bloomed a bright pink. “Don’ think I haven’ picked up on your ‘Let’s not talk about me’ routine.”

“Is it working?” Annaleigh asked. Jasmine’s smile widened.

“Yes,” she replied, “but only because your brother is one of the nicest, sweetest, funniest, guys I’ve ever met.” A happy sigh filled the space. “I think I really like him.”

Annaleigh reached across the table and squeezed her best friend’s wrist. “I’m glad.”

Chapter End Notes:

I had actually had a different idea for this chapter, but this just ended up coming out. I’m already getting started on the next one though, as a lot of what was going to be in this one, I just pushed to the next. I’ve got the creative juices flowing again so I’m hoping to get more frequent with my updates again.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: postsync originalcharacter bestfriendl lance