Author's Chapter Notes:
Annaleigh helps Darren with show choir rehearsals.

-17-

Jackson, Mississippi
Darren’s Apartment

“You all unpacked?”

Annaleigh lifted her hands and brushed her hands over head, smoothing down her hair before straightening from her crouched position behind a cardboard box. Bungee cords sat on the floor near the box, a dolly sitting by it.

“This is the last box I need to do,” she replied, turning towards Jasmine who was straightening books on the bookshelf. “Still have some stuff at Lance’s and dad’s so…”

“I still can’t believe you’re moving in with my brother,” Jasmine said, her nose wrinkling. “At least you’ll be able to spice this place up a bit. It reeks of…of boy.”

“I don’ mind it,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. “It’s a manly smell in my opinion.” She grasped the flap of the box and gave it a sharp tug. With a loud pop it opened and Annaleigh reached for the other side.

“I’m sure it is,” Jasmine said with a snort. “So, y’doin’ anythin’ today after helping Darren with the kids? There’s a football game, pre-season, at the high school later.” She brushed her hands together, freeing it of dust before using the back of her arm to scratch at her nose. “I got some tickets and I was goin’ to take Gabe since he hasn’ been to one. You haven’ been to one in a while, either.”

“That’s true,” Annaleigh agreed with a nod of her head. “Super Bowl pre-show, and halftime show are the closest I’ve been to in a while.” She slid her palms down her jean clad legs. “But, I never actually watched them.”

“Oh, boo hoo,” Jasmine said with a roll of her eyes. “You could actually attend the Super Bowl—somethin’ a lot of people would kill, and I mean literally kill, to do—and you couldn’t watch a game. Oh, because of a little thing called performing.

“Oh, hush,” Annaleigh said with a laugh. She couldn’t deny that she’s had many wonderful opportunities in life. Premieres, album release parties, meeting some of her favorite musicians, just the experience behind creating an album and touring were all things she thought were a far off reality, but gained great experiences and fond memories from both. “You got to experience some of that with me.”

“Yeah, just enough,” Jasmine agreed with a smile. “I can get a slice of that life and still be happy with the leftover part of the pizza that is small town Mississippi.”

“Nice analogy,” Annaleigh said with a snort. “Where’d you get that from? A fortune cookie?”

“You in or not?” Jasmine asked. “And no, I didn’t get that from a fortune cookie.” Annaleigh lifted an eyebrow. “I got it from a greeting card.”

Annaleigh chuckled in triumph. “I knew it,” she said in a sing-song voice. “And I’m in. I’m sure even Darren’s students would want to head down to the field. It is summer after all.”

“Mmm,” Jasmine said getting to her feet. Annaleigh instantly spotted the annoying, knowing, smile on her friend’s face as she crossed the room to sit on the arm of the couch. “Those summer nights. It gets pretty dang hot down here in Jackson.”

“I’m well aware, Jazzy,” Annaleigh replied, carefully pulling mugs, plates, and cutlery out of the box. “Go into hyper drive please and let me know what it is you’re hinting at.” She lowered herself into a seated position and used her shoulder to brush her hair off her face with her shoulder. “Proceed.”

“Why thank you.” Jasmine let out a breath through her nose. “Just make sure the air conditioning is workin’ properly,” she explained, wiggling her eyebrows. “Or maybe you’ll want it broken I mean hot sweaty days and cool nights that just beg for a warm body to snuggle up with I can see it now, late night pillow chats, sneaking peeks here or there as you wear whatever you can to stay cool it’s a real life rom-com and thank god you brought some dishes and silverware  finally something in here will match.”

“Jazzy, he’s your brother,” Annaleigh commented a she started unwrapping the newspaper she had used to secure the dish set.

“And you’re my best friend,” Jasmine replied, pointing a finger at her. “In fact, he’s my best friend, too—even though he’s annoyin’ at times, but that’s brothers for you.” She shrugged her shoulders. Annaleigh cracked a smile. Half-brother, full brother, or step brother, Gabriel did get on her nerves as well. “And since both of y’all are two of my best friends, it’s my job to make sure y’both live happily ever after. Even if I have to push—“

“Try shove.”

“—the both of ya to get to that after.”

“Good to know,” Annaleigh replied. “But, like I said, I’m open to giving him a shot, now. Without—“ she pointed a warning finger in Jasmine’s face and she put her hands up defensively, “outside pressure.” She then twisted her wrist so the clock face of her watch faced her. “I’ve got to get going. Mind givin’ me a lift over to the school?”

“Sure thing,” Jasmine replied, crossing the room, grabbing her purse off the counter. She grasped her keys, shaking them in the air. “The chariot awaits to take you off to the land of loooove. And show choir. Wouldn’ be the first time co-workers got together.”

Don’t I know it, Annaleigh thought to herself.

She had promised herself over and over again that she was only joining NSYNC for business. How quickly that had turned around faster than she realized. She had fought against her changing feelings for Wade for so long, pretty much ignoring it or refusing to acknowledge it; like her parents’ divorce. Or any other thing she tried so hard to control. The sooner she accepted it, the better off she’d be.

“All’s fair in love and show business,” Annaleigh declared.

“That’s my girl.”


 

Annaleigh brushed her hair back behind her ears before lowering herself down onto the piano bench beside Darren in the auditorium of the high school. “So, what d’you want me to do?” she asked, crossing her legs. The kids in the show choir group, Wonderstruck, sat on the stage talking and laughing with each other as they stretched not only their muscles but their vocal chords with some warm ups.

“Watch them for one thing,” Darren replied. He didn’t look up from the stack of papers in his hands and she shuffled through them. “Both when we’re performing and not, some of them like running off whenever we get a break. Especially since the school is closed.”

A smile of amusement graced Annaleigh’s face. She couldn’t blame them. It was one thing to be in school during the school year but it was like a whole different world over the summer. Judging by the ages of this group, she could assume that there were many different reasons why they’d go looking around the school. They were teenagers after all.

“Other than that,” he said, finally looking up at her. “Help run vocal warm ups, see who’s on beat or off, just look at their overall performance. You have enough experience touring and everything to really drill into them the importance of rehearsals and keeping their voices healthy and everything.” He then flashed her a smile. “Besides, they’ve been driving me absolutely crazy and I needed to put them off on someone else.”

Annaleigh hiked an eyebrow, letting out a single laugh. “Not like I haven’t driven you crazy for years,” she pointed out to him.

“Yeah,” Darren agreed with a nod of his head. His smile widened just slightly, holding an air of amusement and something else. “Only you’re a special case. At least I know I have your attention when you do—with them at times, I don’t want it.”

“And you’re supposed to be this great teacher,” Annaleigh said with a teasing smile.

“With how little I’m being paid, I can say whatever the hell I want,” he commented with a snort. Annaleigh let out a loud, mocking gasp. “Yeah I said ‘hell’.” He gathered the stack of papers in his hands and tapped it against the piano to straighten it. “Besides, you drive me a hell of a lot crazier and I kind of like it.” Before climbing off of the piano bench, he smacked her on the face with the papers.

“Heyyy.” Annaleigh made a face before sweeping her hair back out of her face, following him over to the stage. Darren tried to gain the students’ attention, but she could see that their attention was on catching up on what they had missed out on each other’s lives during the summer so far. Annaleigh licked her lips before making a hoop with her index and thumb. She stuck the tips of her fingers in her mouth and let out a loud, shrill whistle, instantly quieting everyone. She shrugged when Darren turned towards her, a surprised look on his face. “Joey showed me how to hail a taxi the few times we were in New York.”

 “Alright, listen up,” Darren called, his voice echoing around the auditorium. “First off, I know y’all have better things to be doin’ over the summer, so thank you for taking the time to come and rehearse.” He lifted the stack of papers in his hands. “Second, I need y’all to sign release forms for traveling; I know some of you have already filled them out, but I need you to do it again anyway.” He handed the paper to one of the students sitting closest to the front of the stage who started to pass them out.

“And third, this is one of my best friends, Annaleigh Carr and she’s going to be helpin’ me out with y’all. She answered to Ace as well. Some of you already know who she is and some of you haven’t met her. She’s going to be helping me run rehearsals, assisting on the piano, overall tweaking of performances, and other duties as I see fit. For those of you who don’t know, she’s been on two tours with NSYNC, and currently performs in her own band. So, she knows what she’s talking about with this so listen to her. Ok? Great, now let’s get started with an older routine we’re going to be doing again for the showcase this fall, just so she can get an idea on what kinds of things we’ve been working on.”

Annaleigh lifted her hand in a wave, giving the students a smile in greeting as they moved to take their positions on stage. She settled back into one of the seats in the front row of the auditorium, crossing one leg over the other. Moments later, loud music came bursting through the speakers of the auditorium, bouncing off every corner and rattling her ear drums.

For the next three or so minutes, she watched as Wonderstruck dance, sang, and performed their routine, watching with as much of a critical eye as she could. A part of her felt that she wasn’t qualified to help out; she hadn’t done any show choir in her life. With both Showstoppers and Attache (and she was never going to let Lance and Darren live down Seven Card Stud) she had seen enough similar acts to get an idea of what flaws or problems to look for. It wasn’t all about correct dance steps in time with each other; even NSYNC could be off from each other from time to time.

As the final chords of the song played and the dancers struck their final pose, she for sure had something to comment on. “Ok,” Annaleigh said, running her hands over her face and into her hair. “I just have one question.” She pointed to one of the teenage boys on stage. “What’s your name?”

“Me?” a sandy brown haired boy asked, planting his hands on his hips. His face was bright red as he tried to catch his breath. “Craig.”

“Right, Craig,” Annaeleigh gave him a smile of thanks before pointing over at the dark haired girl standing next to him. “Do you like her?” Craig’s eyes widened as the rest of the group tittered before bursting into loud laughter. “Darlin’ what’s your name?”

The girl didn’t answer right away. She had a hand over her mouth, face bright red, shifting her weight from foot to foot. “My name’s Lindsay,” she finally said after a moment of silence. She talked in a squeaky voice before swinging her hair out of her face before crossing her arms over her chest, bringing a hand to her mouth to chew on her thumbnail. “I’m Lindsay.”

“Ok, so Craig, are you sweet on Lindsay?” Annaleigh asked and the laughter got louder. “Because I’m sensing some chemistry between the two of y’all and I think you could really play that up during this performance.”

“Ace, don’t play matchmaker with them,” Darren commented, turning away from the piano where he was sorting sheet music. His lips twitched just slightly. “Believe me, I’ve already tried.”

Annaleigh clicked her tongue. “Shoot, you just don’ have a woman’s touch,” she declared, waving her hand in the air. “It’s not the only thing I don’t have,” she heard Darren mutter something under his breath, his eyebrows lifting as he turned back around to face the piano.

“We’ve been tryin’ to get them together for a while,” one of the other girls called out as she fanned herself with her shirt. “They’re just too ‘fraid to do anything about it.”

Why does that sound familiar? Annaleigh sarcastically thought to herself. Darren must’ve thought the same thing as he let out a snort which he quickly concealed with a cough and loud shuffling of papers. “So, the do like each other?” she asked, directing the question to the show choir as a whole. She chuckled when she got a shouts of “Yes”, “Uh, yeahhh”, and “Who’re you kiddin?” much to the chagrin of Craig and Lindsay who were both doing whatever they could to not look at each other, or really be in the same vicinity of each other.

“Thought so,” Annaleigh mused aloud. A smile slowly stretched across her face. “So, why don’t you ask her out?” Craig and Lindsay’s faces turned even more red if that was even possible. Some of the boys in the group shoved Craig’s shoulder, pushing him closer towards Lindsay.

“Can you make her stop?” Lindsay asked through her nervous laughter.

“Ha.” Darren laughed. “I’ve known her since we were kids I’ve never been able to control her.” He smirked. “Not like I haven’t tried.”

“So, you know her very well,” Craig said, seeming to find a way out of the situation. “I mean, you talk about her often enough.”

Uh oh. Annaleigh felt her face heat up. Teenagers. They were so nosey. Darren on the other hand took the question in stride. She could see the close bond between the students and the teacher. He treated them all like friends, like he wasn’t talking to a bunch of kids, and she could clearly see their respect for him in return.

“I know her better than she thinks I do,” Darren replied. He shrugged his shoulders. “She’s my best friend, why wouldn’t I?”

“Is that all?” Craig pressed. “She’s only your best friend?”

“Hey,” Annaleigh cried, surprised at how the attention was suddenly put on her, “wait a minute.” She sat up straighter in her seat. “This isn’t about me. How’d this come to be ‘bout me?”

“Nope,” Darren instantly replied and Annaleigh blinked. She wasn’t sure if she was surprised at the answer or how quickly and matter-of-factly he had answered. “Hasn’ been that to me for a while. I’d ask her out, but I don’ think she’s ready.” He tilted his head to the side. “At least, she hasn’ shown me that she wants me to.”

He wasn’t even looking directly at her, but he may as well have. She could offer up an excuse—not that she didn’t have a whole bunch of them crash to the front of her skull when the students started asking her why she wouldn’t want to go out with him—but found herself keeping her mouth shut.

If there was one thing she hated to admit was when he was right.

Even worse still, the cat didn’t have her tongue, freaking karma did.


 

Between show choir rehearsal and the large crowd at the high school football game, it wouldn’t surprise Annaleigh at all if she went deaf. Screaming fans aside. She had gone one two tours (two loud tours) with one of the hottest boy bands before she turned 20 and a football game was making her feel her age earlier than she ever thought she would.

It seemed like a lifetime ago that she sat in the stands watching football games, tailgating, and hanging out and drinking beer at the Back of ’80. Yet here she was, decked out in Lanier High school colors cheering on the home team with Darren, Jasmine, and Gabriel sitting on either side of her.

“I swear I heard his bones crunch one that last tackle,” Gabriel commented as a swell of cheers in their section died down. Excited chatter and laughter surrounded them from the patrons in the stands as they waited for their next play.

“Ah, that ain’t nothin’,” Jasmine replied waving her hand in the air. “Watched this guy break his ankle once. Player fell on the ground and the guy with the ball ran right over it.” She held her fists up in front of each other, the sides touching before she made a cracking sound with her mouth, angling her hands downwards, away from each other. “Heard it got split right in half and he’s still findin’ bone fragments.”

“Yeah, well, you never saw Joey’s leg after it got stuck in the trap door during rehearsals for the Celebrity Tour,” Gabriel replied, adjusting the backwards hat on his head. “Even make the goriest horror film look like fluff.”

“And it’s makin’ me lose my appetite,” Annaleigh groaned, removing the emptying bag of popcorn from her face. She set the bag down onto the concrete floor. “Saw it once, don’ need to bring up that image in my mind again.”

“Well, I’m still hungry,” Jasmine announced, getting to her feet. Annaleigh handed her the half-finished bag of popcorn, but Jasmine waved it away, her nose wrinkling. “I need more than that.” She patted her stomach with her hands. “Jumbo sized, preferably.”

“We’re going to have dinner a couple hours from now,” Darren said to her, shifting his gaze away from the players on the field.

“Dancing girl needs to eat,” Jasmine replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “Besides, the butter and salt from the popcorn really makes me want one of the pretzels they’re selling.”

“I’ll come with,” Gabriel offered, wiping his hands on his jeans. “I need to stretch my legs anyway.” He gently grasped her elbow leading her through the small walkway between backs and knees.

“She’s really liking her job at the dance studio isn’t she?” Annaleigh asked.

“Getting out of the house to finally stop hearing her pointy feet—doing what she calls dancing—on the ceiling was the greatest thing that happened in my life,” Darren replied as he leaned back in his seat, stretching his legs as far as he could before curling them back again. “Her gabbing about it, unfortunately, has never changed.” His lips turned upwards into a smile. “She really loves it and she loves her students.”

“You love your too, I can tell,” Annaleigh replied, elbowing him in the side. “You’re a good teacher and I can tell you really love what you’re doing.”

“Thanks,” Darren said. “It’s not really that I love teaching it’s that I love seeing how my students change over the year.” He rested his elbows on his knees, lacing his fingers under his chin. “There are some who are too scared to open their mouths in a group but are fine when practicing by themselves who can knock out a duet, or some who aren’t confident in their dancing, but lead the chorus line, and some who just simply want to make friends and they leave with a family.” He shrugged his shoulders. “They could really get nothing out of whatever it is that’s coming out of my mouth but if I can see growth in them as a person overall, then I think I’ve done my job.”

“That’s cool,” Annaleigh said as she reached for her cup of soda. “I don’t think I could be a good teacher. Takes me forever to learn things the hard way.” She took a sip and swallowed. “Now bein’ an assistant is more me. Less pressure and I get to be the cool, laid back, one.”

Darren laughed. “Seriously though, Ace,” Darren said, sitting back to face her, giving her a warm smile. “Thank you for helpin’ me. I really appreciate it.”

“Anytime, D,” Annaleigh replied, her voice suddenly quiet. She took in his dark eyes, glittering with the glow of the slowly fading sun, and his warm smile and found herself drawn to them. Much like she had always been drawn to him. Breaking the gaze, that was growing even more intense by the second, she chewed on her straw before taking another sip, turning back towards the feld.

And then she saw it.

Whether it was the hard shove to her back, the carbonation suddenly shooting down her throat and up her nose at the same time, or the fact that she realized she was on the big screen, Annaleigh doubled over, letting out a startled cough as she choked.

A loud cheer swelled around her, pressing in on her from all sides. The fans in front of her turned around to face them with wide, expectant smiles on their faces. She felt the thumps of the hands, fists, and prods of finger tips on her back and the top of her head from the people sitting behind her. Her image had to only have been up on the screen for a single, solid, second but to her it felt like an eternity twice over stretching longer and longer.   

“No,” Annaleigh said as quietly as she could.

Darren chuckled. “And ruin all these people’s expectations?” he asked, just as quietly out of the side of his mouth.

“No.” Annaleigh lifted her cup of soda to her lips, moving the straw into her mouth. Maybe if I pretend I didn’t notice

“I don’t think the camera is moving anytime soon. But, suit yourself.”

Annaleigh nearly choked a second time. Of course he had a point. She had seen these play out many times before. The unmistakable kissing sound signaled everyone of what was to come seconds before the opening chords to “This Kiss” by Faith Hill started playing. Then the big screen switched from whatever the players were doing down on the field to the couples they strategically (or, as Annaleigh quickly realized, got paid to) showcase.

Jasmine. Annaleigh felt her jaw tighten just slightly. It was no wonder she had jumped up faster than a barefoot jack rabbit on a hot road in the middle of a heat wave. Gabe must be in on it, too. He was quick to get some food after finishing his box of cracker jacks. Then again, he was a guy and from her experience living with five of them, they could eat a whole lot. And annoyingly so, not gain a pound.

But, this was what you wanted to come back to Clinton for. To start what you’ve always been afraid to do. The cheering seemed to have gotten louder. Or maybe she just noticed it more. Cheering her on, showing their support. Just like your friends and family. And with that final thought, Annaleigh leaned over Darren and kissed him.

The sound of the cheers slowly disappeared as Darren threaded his fingers through her hair, kissing her back. A sigh slid out through her nose as she slid her lips over his. Her cheeks, the back of her neck burned as the pads of his thumbs and fingers gently grasped the back of her head, leaving a trail of fire that slowly spread and warmed her whole body. An electrifying tingle shot from his lips to hers, shooting down her spine, causing her to tremble just slightly.

Warm.

Soft,

Gentle.

“Anna.” Darren’s breath tickled her lips as she pulled away from him. His eyes were half-lidded as he stared back at her. The illusion was shattered. Her ten seconds were up. Annaleigh pressed the tips of her fingers to her lips as she sat back in her seat.

The screen switched to another couple and the swell of cheers went up a second time. Her sound was back, growing louder and louder as if a volume dial was being turned up. She was aware of how close she was sitting beside him. But, it was comforting.

“Anna.”

“Darren.” Annaleigh shifted in her seat to face him. Darren lifted his eyebrows in a silent question. Annaleigh’s lips slowly parted into a smile. “About what you said before. Durin' rehearsals.” Darren angled his head downwards just slightly in a nod. “I’d…I’d love to go out with you. “ Annaleigh bowed her head for a moment before looking back up at him. “On a date.”

Darren gave her a smile that sent the resting butterflies in her stomach flying. “Great,” he replied, looking as if he didn’t know whether to smile or be amazed. Not that she could really blame him for either of those reactions. She felt that exact same way. “I’m glad.”

“Me too.”

Annaleigh looked over at Jasmine and Gabriel as they came back to their seats with containers of popcorn in their hands. Twisting her mouth to the side, Annaleigh set her gaze back onto the field, running a hand over her face.

“So,” Jasmine said with a bright smile as she settled down in her seat. “Great game, huh?” Gabriel let out a loud, single laugh he quickly turned into a cough he squelched with a long sip of soda.

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Not a huge fan of this chapter, but at the same time there are parts of it that I liked. I think it’s because I had part of this written out and set aside just waiting for a good time to use it so I feel like I might’ve shoehorned it in here. But, hey, an update is an update and we’re finally moving forward with Annaleigh’s story. Thanks for reading



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: postsync originalcharacter bestfriendl lance