JC looked at the clock on the dash one more time as he made the turn on Rachel's street. He was running fifteen minutes behind because of traffic on the 101. When he suggested dinner, he hadn't been thinking about the traffic he would encounter. All he had been thinking about was seeing Rachel and McKenzie.

 

He double checked the address Rachel had text to him and looked at the numbers on the houses. Another thing he hadn't given thought to, was a place to eat. If they were going in to the city, he could name dozens of places or even close to his place. Here, though, he didn't have a clue. He had friends who lived in the area, but they always met up in the city. Yelp hadn't been much help and he'd broken down and messaged Joey. He had to suffer through jokes and teasing before Joey finally offered up the names of a couple of places.

 

The long drive had given him a lot of time to think. He hadn't been lying when he'd told Rachel earlier that he thought she was the one that got away. There had always been something about Lance's twin sister for him that he never really noticed until after she graduated and moved to Orlando. Once she moved in with Lance, she tagged along on their tours becoming fast friends with Melissa. They grew closer during those years. They hung out and talked a lot; got to know each other.

 

He liked her. It wasn't a secret. It also wasn't something he admitted outright. The guys would tease him about her. Even management would drop teasing hints here and there. JC would always grin and shrug off the comments. Their friendship had been special to him. It was the only reason he could think of as the reason why he never said anything to Rachel about his feelings. Why he never made a move. He didn't want to ruin his friendship. Lance had pulled him aside one day and told him that if there was some sort of ‘bro code' stopping him from dating his sister, to knock it off. Lance had told him to ask her out; to make his move and to stop mooning already. 

 

There was never a right moment - in his mind at least. Something was always stopping him. Silly reasons he knew now. If he could go back in time, he would slap his younger self in the back of the head and tell him to stop being an idiot and just ask her out already. If he was able to do that, he couldn't even begin to imagine how much his life would have changed. Rachel told him she had their life planned out, that she dreamed of their life together. He wondered if it was anything like he imagined.

 

Things had gotten a little crazy with the group when they figured out their manager at the time had been swindling money from them. The fact that, even though they had been performing sold out concert, and selling copy after copy of their records, they were in fact poor. The craziness worsened when after their sued, they were then countersued. It had been dark days for them scared they wouldn't be allowed to even keep their name. The drama had eventually worked itself out, they were able to keep their name and they were able to get out of their contracts with the record company and sign with a new label. It was freeing.

 

The group dropped a new single with their new record label and it blew up.  They had become so busy there were times they didn't know whether they were coming or going. With the new single, came the new album and a brand new tour. Everything had been turned around. They had a lot more freedom. They were in charge of themselves for once. With them being on top, JC had made the decision to tell Rachel his feelings. He had made a promise to himself he would tell her before the ‘No Strings Attached' tour started. He had given himself roughly four months to work up the nerve.

 

He had waited too long. It was another thing he'd slap his younger self for if he could. If he had needed the time to work up the nerve, he would have made sure the end date wouldn't be the start of the NSA tour. It would be by the time the album released. The start of the tour was too long.

 

JC had no idea what had even happened. He wasn't sure anyone did, including Lance. One day Rachel was fine, enjoying the album's huge success like they were. Then the next, she was pulling away. No one had a clue as to why. It had been a week crammed full of the highest of highs with the record breaking album release basking in the anticipation of the upcoming tour. It had also been a week filled with lows with Rachel despondent and withdrawn. They tried to rouse her from the funk she had fallen in; tried everything they could think of. He remembered he and Lance tried to the hardest. He also remembered he and Lance causing her to sink further and further.

 

It hurt. He was in love with her and she wouldn't talk to him anymore. She wouldn't acknowledge him. Joey and Chris had tried. Falling back into their teasing and trying to make her blush like they had been doing from the moment she'd be introduced to them. They had failed miserably. Rachel had snapped and told them to shut the fuck up, then left the room. If it hadn't been such a serious situation, JC would have laughed at the look on their faces when Rachel had cussed. It had been the moment that alerted them something was seriously wrong but they weren't given a chance to figure out what.

 

The next day Rachel had left.

 

An empty feeling had settled over him when Lance had told them that Rachel had left, gone back to Mississippi. Justin had been happy, saying maybe it was good she had gone back home. That he hoped it would help. They had all hoped the same. Lance had been reluctant to answer their questions about when she'd return. He had asked if she'd be back before May when their tour kicked off. He could still remember the look of sympathy Lance gave him. Even though Lance had said he didn't know, his face had told him she wouldn't.

 

They were kept busy with interviews and appearances in between practicing for the tour. He knew the tour would be explosive. Ticket sales were already through the roof. He was anxious to get back on the road and perform. When he was able to turn his mind to music, everything was fine. Left alone with his thoughts, he was a mess. He had racked his brain countless of times trying to figure out what had happened to cause the change in Rachel. He had taken to sending her short e-mails. Random notes on what he had did that day or funny stories. He kept them light in hopes of raising her spirits. Not once did she ever respond.

 

The tour had kicked off and he became too tired to let the thoughts of Rachel consume him as they did leading up to the tour. They were moving from one city to the next right after another. In each city there were appearances and radio interviews. Months bled into the next and Rachel still hadn't shown up on tour. Then in August, Lance had dropped a bombshell on them all.

 

Rachel was pregnant.

 

JC brushed aside the memories as he pulled to a stop along the curb in front of Rachel's house. What happened back then no longer mattered. The foundation for their relationship may have been laid back then, but they were different people now. They had each grown up and incurred bumps and scars along the way. He had plenty he kept hidden from everyone. That dorky 22 year old still might be inside of him somewhere but he was often drowned out by the 37 year old man.

 

The one that got away hadn't really gotten away after all. She was here in front of him again, smiling that same crooked smile that often made his heart skip a beat with the green-yellow eyes that captivated him; getting lost in conversations all over again. It brought back all those dreams he had where she was his and he was hers.

 

The front door opened and there she was, crooked smile and captivating gaze. His heart stumbled and he was lost. He brushed the back of his fingers over her cheek before threading them into her hair. With that hand, he ducked his head and guided her lips to his.

 

When the kiss ended, Rachel blinked her eyes open staring in to his blue ones. Her hands had moved to his waist sometime during the kiss. She tightened her fingers in the white shirt. "Whoa," she smiled at him. "Is this how you greet everyone?"

 

"Just you," JC said, moving his thumb back and forth against her head where his hand still cupped her.

 

"I'm half tempted to make you ring the door bell again," she said only half teasing.

 

JC chuckled softly as he lowered his head again. His lips moved against hers and he took a small step forward when he felt Rachel's arms go around his back. He pressed a hand to the small of her back, holding her to him.

 

"Seriously guys? The door is open."

 

They broke the kiss and turned their heads to look, seeing McKenzie standing behind them grinning.

 

A blush swept across Rachel's face and she buried her head in his chest. His arms moved to wrap fully around her holding her tight against him. She splayed her hands on his back, applying pressure to keep him in the hug.

 

"I take it you don't mind this?" JC asked, slightly apprehensive waiting for McKenzie's answer.

 

"Is he the one you've been talking on the phone with all the time?"

 

"Yes," Rachel answered her daughter when she lifted her head from JC's chest. She dropped an arm from around him and shifted to stand next to him; one arm still around his waist.

 

"Should have known." McKenzie rolled her eyes. "Are we leaving? I'm starving." She turned and walked away leaving the adults to stare after her.

 

"I guess she approves?" JC said dryly as McKenzie disappeared. His moved his fingers back and forth over her waist.

 

"Guess so," Rachel grinned at him. "So, I'm not sure if I appreciate you manipulating me in to dinner tonight."

 

JC laughed. "Gotta use any angle I can. Are you guys ready to go?"

 

"Apparently you're gonna be just as bad as Lance is with her," she shook her head, a small smile on her lips. "Another one I have to watch out for, so you guys don't completely corrupt her."

 

"Come on," JC walked with her through the foyer to the kitchen where she grabbed her purse off the counter. "You know she's amazing."

 

"I know."

 

McKenzie couldn't stop from grinning in the car as JC drove them to a restaurant called Captain's Quarters. It was a burger joint she'd been to a few times with her mom and friends. She half listened to the conversation her mom and JC were having. They'd been playfully arguing since they left her house about who should drive and who was a better driver. It was funny listening to her mom get riled up. All JC could do was laugh.

 

‘Mom and JC are dating!!!!!' She sent the message off to Briahna who immediately responded.

 

‘No way!!!! How do you know?!'

 

‘I walked in on them kissing.'

 

‘No freaking way!!!' Briahna send followed by a row of the shocked emojis. ‘Are you freaking out right now? I'm freaking out for you!'

 

Kenzi chuckled softly at Briahna's texts. ‘We're on our way to dinner right now. I told you JC's taking us out. They are so cute! Arguing about mom's driving and the directions to the restaurant. Mom's on a roll and JC's just laughing at her. They are holding hands!'

 

‘Awwwwwww!' Briahna sent with the heart eye emoji.

 

As inconspicuous as possible Kenzi angled her phone in order to snap a picture of their entwined hands resting on the gear shift. Every so often, JC would have to shift and he'd do it in a way that he still had her mom's hand in his. The movements were so natural it was like they had been doing it for years. She sent the photo to Briahna who responded back with a ton more heart eye emojis.

 

As the traffic grew more congested, they slowed almost to a crawl made worse by the traffic lights. The restaurant was only a couple lights away. She hummed along to the radio, tapping her foot to the beat as she scrolled through the photos she had saved on her phone from the get together they had at Lance's. She also had a couple older ones that she had snapped a picture of photo before putting it back in the album. Each of the photos were ones of her mom and JC. She couldn't stop staring. She hadn't found resemblance between her and JC yet, but she knew that didn't mean anything. Her cousin Keagan didn't look anything like Aunt Stacy. Stacy often teased she was given the wrong baby at the hospital. Just because she didn't look like JC, didn't mean he wasn't her father. They shared the same blood type which mean there was as possibility. She just had to get up the nerve to finally ask one of them. Once she did she would finally have an answer on who her father was.

 

*~*~*~*

 

"I'm gonna go do my homework," McKenzie said as they entered the house after dinner. It was getting late, but she was used to doing homework late sometimes especially if she had a track meet that fell during a weekday. Most times she'd do it in the bus on the way to the meet, but sometimes it was more fun to talk with her friends than do homework.

 

"Alright," Rachel said. "Don't stay up too late. I'll be up to check on you in a bit."

 

"Okay," she turned to JC and hugged him. "Thanks for dinner."

 

"Anytime." JC said with a smile.

 

"What are you doing tomorrow?" She asked slyly.

 

"McKenzie Sofia!" Rachel scolded, aghast while JC laughed.

 

"Bye JC!" Kenzi waved and quickly left the room.

 

Rachel could do nothing but shake her head after her daughter. "That girl, I swear." She looked back at JC, a smile on her face. "Do you have to take off?" Glancing at the watch her wrist she frowned seeing the late hour. They had stayed longer at the restaurant than she anticipated but they were having such a good time. Kenzi kept them entertained with stories, some she had heard numerous times, and others she hadn't. JC stayed involved in the conversation even when it turned to teenage drama.

 

"I can if you want?" JC knew what he wanted. He wanted to stay. He didn't want to leave, but he would let her take the lead on this.

 

"I want you to stay for a little while," she smiled at him and took his hand, leading him into the living room. She sat down on the couch, pulling him to sit down next to her. Crossing her legs, she leaned into his side, her hand resting on his leg.

 

"You ready for your trip to Mississippi?" JC wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

 

"I am. It will be nice to be home."

 

"Home huh?" He teased lightly.

 

"Mississippi is always home," she moved her thumb back and forth across his denim covered leg. "After I moved back from Orlando, I didn't think I'd ever move away again."

 

"I was surprised when Lance said you were moving out here."

 

"Kind of surprised myself. I just... needed a change I guess. Felt like I was in this rut and it wasn't getting better. I was standing still and life was passing me by." She spoke softly. It felt like she was hiding in Mississippi. "It was a hard decision to make."

 

"I bet. Leaving everyone behind." JC felt there was more to the story, but he didn't press. While he knew a lot about Rachel, there was still things he didn't know. Things she still kept close to the vest. He wanted her to open up to him, but he had to remember that even though they knew each other for years, the relationship was still new. "I ran in to Lance at some event I can't remember what for and he was on cloud nine because you were moving here."

 

Rachel laughed softly. "He would fill up my e-mail with houses for sale, places to rent. Crime statistics. Schools for Kenzi. Activities to sign her up for. He drove me completely insane. Melissa was driving me bat shit crazy as well. She kept sending me listings and ranked them by which ones had cuter neighbors. I wanted to throttle her."

 

JC felt the jealously grow deep in his stomach. He hadn't paid attention to Rachel's neighbors when he pulled in earlier. "Is that how you picked this place?"

 

"No," Rachel giggled. She twisted her body toward JC, moving the hand from his thigh to wrap across his midsection and kissed his cheek. "I live next to an 80 year old retired doctor who has been happily married for 60 years. Though I am eyeing one of his great grandsons for McKenzie to marry. He's only 10, but he's so adorable."

 

JC laughed and tightened his arm around her, causing her to shift closer to him. He didn't mind. "Kenzi know you're already picking out suitors."

 

"Not yet, but I figure I gotta get them lined up before she brings home my worst nightmare." She shifted again to bend her legs beneath her.

 

"If that fails, there is always Joey's convent."

 

Rachel laughed. "That is true. Always have a backup plan." She laid her head down on his chest and sighed softly. He titled his head to rest against hers. Her eyes fluttered closed and she enjoyed the moment. Snuggling on the couch wasn't something she had done in a long time, unless you counted McKenzie, which she didn't. It was felt nice. Just like holding the hand of someone across the gear shift.

 

"You believe that photo Briahna pulled out the other day?" JC brought his leg up, resting his ankle on his knee. When he rested his hand on his knee, Rachel's hand met his. He threaded their fingers together. "The prom photo?"

 

"Oh God, is there a more 90s photo than that one?" Rachel chuckled softly.

 

"Give me a bit and I could probably find one." He laughed knowing that simple search of NSYNC would bring up dozens of photos that would fit the bill. "I hadn't seen that picture before."

 

"I hadn't either."

 

JC didn't remember how the topic of prom came up, but when it did, Justin had informed them that he never had a prom because he'd been with them for his entire high school career, taking online classes and having a tutor. Lance hadn't attended prom either for the same reason. When that had been known, he, Joey, and Chris had decided to throw a prom for Justin and Lance. It had been a small affair. Justin's mom had been in attendance and so had Diane, Rachel's and Lance's mom.

 

"You didn't bring a date," Rachel said as she thought back on that night. "Everyone else did, but you didn't." She had attended both her junior and senior proms in high school. Her brother may have been spending time in Europe and Florida, but she had been stuck in Mississippi with her dad and Stacy. She got to experience the highs and lows of high school.

 

"I wanted to ask you, but I was too nervous. I showed up alone, hoping you would too." They had both shown up alone. When they did pictures toward the beginning of the night, everyone threw them together.

 

"Dancing with you was so awkward," she chuckled. "It was like a junior high dance."

 

"I didn't know where to put my hands... well I knew where I wanted them, but your mom was eying me down."

 

"Highly doubtful. Mom always had a soft spot for you. She was probably giving the ‘stank eye' to Chris who had some highly inappropriate moves for what was supposed to be a high school prom."

 

"So did Justin, but Lynn was too busy making sure Chris didn't spike the punch." He chuckled at the memory. Getting an idea, he untangled himself from Rachel. When he was standing he held an outstretched hand toward her.

 

Rachel's face showed her confusion, but she placed her hand in his and allowed him to pull her up from the couch. "What are you doing?" She asked watching as he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

 

"Hold on," he said keeping hold of her hand. He used the thumb of the hand he held the phone in to tap on the keyboard. When he found what he was looking for, he grinned. Making sure the volume was all the way up, he tapped play and sat it on the arm of the couch.

 

The opening strands of ‘All My Life' by KC and JoJo started playing, Rachel smiled and squeezed his hand. "You remembered..."

 

"Of course," JC pulled her to him. "No moms here eying me down."

 

"You can put your hands wherever you want." Hers went around his neck. His settled on her hips making sure she was close to him. "Much better," she murmured, relaxing into him as they swayed to the music.

 

"You are the only one and my everything, and for you this song I sing," JC sang softly, his eyes drifting close. He could almost picture the room where they held the makeshift prom. His suit had been slightly too big. A flower had been pinned to the jacket from Lynn. Unlike now, he had been clean shaven. His hair longer on the top than it was on the sides. They had decorated the room in some ‘Under The Stars' theme. Diane and Lynn had did a lot of the leg work. He couldn't remember how many people were invited to celebrate. Other than Melissa, he couldn't even remember the dates anyone else had.

 

It had taken awhile before anyone started dancing to the slow songs. Up until the moment this song had come one, everyone used the slow songs to rest or grab something to eat from the snack tables. ‘All My Life' had come on and Joey had said fuck it and pulled Melissa to the dance floor. In doing so, the flood gates opened and everyone followed. The table had become empty except for him and Rachel. ‘You wanna?' He had asked and took her hand when she said sure. Her face had been flushed red in embarrassment.

 

"All my life I prayed for someone like you, and I thank God" he moved one hand from her hips to the small of her back where he held her closer to him and brought the other hand up to pull her arm from his neck. He clasped her hand and tucked them on his chest. Her arm dropped from his neck and he felt her hand splayed on his back. "That I finally found you," he whispered against her ear. "All my life I've prayed for someone like you and I hope that you feel the same way too."

 

When JC's voiced faded away on the verse, Rachel titled her head, her nose trailing along the rough stubble of his cheek, seeking his lips. She melted into the kiss as her heart became his.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited missionary love daddyjc postsync originalcharacter jc joey lance unclel