Rachel raised her arm, giving a wave when she saw JC and his crew appear at the top of the stands. McKenzie had been so excited about JC's family coming to her track meet she sent a text to JC before she left for school making sure they were still coming. Unfortunately for JC, he hadn't been awake yet. Until the text came through.

 

"You made it!" Rachel grinned as JC filed in her row while everyone else took the row behind them. She stood up to greet them. Passing out hugs. Heather and Drew stepped over the bench to sit on her free side leaving Tyler, Sarah, Roy and Karen in the row behind them.

 

"You know how long the day is when you're up at six?"

 

Rachel laughed at JC's question. "Sorry about that. She said she felt bad, but I don't think she did."

 

"Who's up at six in the morning anyway?"

 

"My mom." Rachel said at the same time Karen answered, "I am."

 

"Morning's almost over by the time you roll out of bed," Karen teased her son.

 

"If you wouldn't stay up half the night on the phone," Tyler grinned.

 

"You listening at my door?"

 

"Didn't have to. I know only one thing that puts a smile on a man's face going to bed."

 

"Tyler," Karen warned her youngest who just grinned in return.

 

"I didn't see you smiling last night when you called it a night." Heather nudged Rachel's shoulder with her own.

 

Rachel laughed and looked over her shoulder at Tyler, seeing the blush on his face. "Oh poor Tyler."

 

"Right. Like we're gonna throw down with my sister sleeping next door and my parents above us."

 

"Throw down?" Heather laughed. "Does the WWE happen in your bedroom?"

 

"Don't you be worrying about my bedroom," Tyler told his sister.

 

"I'd like not to be thinking about your bedroom," JC said dryly. "But you brought it up."

 

"Shit. You know damn well he doesn't get any unless it's a birthday or an anniversary. That's married life."

 

"And now we're in my sister's bedroom." JC muttered. The only thing that would cap the conversation is either of his parents speaking up and he prayed they wouldn't.

 

"We're just pointing out that you are the only one who's getting any."

 

"Who said I was getting any?"

 

Rachel buried her face in her hands. She could feel the heat on her cheeks. "This is a highly inappropriate conversation to be having given the location."

 

"I agree," Karen said. "I heard about Kenzi's last track meet. Is she ready for today?"

 

"I sure hope so." Rachel told JC's mother, grateful for the change in conversation topics.

 

"She seems to enjoy running very much."

 

"No idea where she gets it," Rachel said to Roy's comment. "She enjoys a lot of activities. Her social calendar is fuller than mine."

 

"That's good that she's involved in a lot of things."

 

"Keeps her out of trouble."

 

"Keeps her away from boys," Heather grinned. "Gonna be hard though. She's a gorgeous girl. Only going to get prettier."

 

"Can't believe how much she looks like you did. And Briahna.... Joey's gonna have his hands full."

 

Rachel laughed. "That's karma having its last laugh with Joey. It's gonna be so much fun watching him navigate a teenage daughter dating."

 

"Oh yeah," Tyler laughed. "He probably deserves every last headache it will bring him."

 

"I seem to remember you being almost as bad." Rachel looked over her shoulder at him.

 

Tyler's eyes widened comically. "Lies!"

 

Rachel laughed. "Do you forget how many hours we spent together while they were doing interviews or appearances?"

 

"I figured we'd have a fight on our hands." Karen said. "We all knew how JC felt and there comes Tyler talking about Rachel."

 

"Whoa whoa whoa," Tyler held up his hands. "No. No way."

 

"Why?" Rachel turned on the bench to look at him. "What was wrong with me?"

 

"Yeah Tyler. What was wrong with Rachel? She was pretty cute." Heather asked her brother, a teasing glint in her eye. She loved seeing him squirm.

 

"She was firmly off limits." Tyler stated. "I wasn't a moron. I knew what was up. And if I was living under a rock and didn't notice that JC liked her, I had to scare away this one kid. Oh man," he started laughing when he heard JC groan.

 

"What kid? When?" Rachel looked from Tyler to JC sitting next to her. "Who?"

 

"That's low JC," Heather said with a chuckle. "You couldn't tell her you liked her, but you chased away other prospects."

 

"Cold man," Drew laughed, shaking his head.

 

"Who?" Rachel repeated looking at JC. She gasped. "Oh my God! It wasn't the one kid who got fired from the lighting crew was it?"

 

"You fired someone for liking Rachel?" Sarah asked in disbelief.

 

"What?" JC frowned as he looked at Rachel.

 

"I only remember a little bit. Was like '98 or something. Happened right before a concert."

 

"Damn JC, how many boys did you scare off?" Drew asked.

 

"He didn't get fired because of Rachel. He was fired because he was dealing drugs at our concerts."

 

"I didn't think teenyboppers would be the market," Heather said.

 

"So who did you chase away?" Sarah asked her husband. "How many times did you do JC's dirty work?"

 

"Just that once. He was stupid. The kid... well JC too."

 

"Thanks."

 

"You're the one who never told her how you felt." Tyler pointed out. "But this kid was an idiot. Like I said, everyone knew Rachel was off limits."

 

"I was?" Rachel questioned, the statement news to her. "Why was I off limits?"

 

"Because Lance said hands off."

 

"He did not!" Rachel gasped. She looked at Tyler then to JC, then back to Tyler. "You're joking. He did not. Did he? JC?"

 

"I don't think he made a blanket statement," JC said slowly, watching Rachel's eyes narrow. "He did give out a few warnings to people."

 

"I'm gonna kill him."

 

"Like you would have given them the time of day," Tyler laughed. "You were so far gone on JC, you didn't know anyone else was alive."

 

"Beside the point," Rachel muttered.

 

"How'd you warn off the one kid?"

 

"Told him Lonnie would snap him in half if he so much as looked in her direction."

 

Rachel groaned and buried her head in her hands. "You did not."

 

Tyler laughed. "I did. Kid was so scared."

 

"Did you tell him to say that?" Rachel looked at JC.

 

"Nope." JC raised his hands up, shaking his head. "I just told him to make him stop sniffing around."

 

"I can't believe this," Rachel shook her head. "What else don't I know?"

 

"Well..." Tyler started and broke off laughing at the look JC sent him. "Hey man, you regaled Sarah with stories when we started dating. Turnabout's fair play."

 

"Is McKenzie's event starting?"

 

Rachel turned to look out at the track and saw her daughter getting in to position. They had been talking and she missed the call for the event. "It is."

 

"Saved by the bell, C." Drew laughed.

 

"I'm here all week," Tyler grinned. "Plenty of opportunities to spill all my secrets."

 

"This is the last time you're seeing her," JC said, causing everyone to laugh. He felt a hand on his thigh and he looked down then over at Rachel. She smiled at him and he covered her hand with his, giving it a squeeze as the race started.

 

"Let's go Kenzi!"

 

*~*

 

"You were awesome girl!" Heather squealed as Rachel walked up with McKenzie after the track meet. She pulled the girl in to a hug, sweaty mess and all. "Totally kicked ass!"

 

"Heather!" Karen scolded though she agreed with her daughter's sentiments. "You kicked butt."

 

"Thanks," McKenzie hugged Karen. She was grinning when she pulled away, the gold medals were proudly displayed around her neck. After her final race, she had pulled on her track pants and wind breaker. The wind breaker jacket was unzipped. Each donned the schools colors light blue and white. She looked at JC who stood next to her mom. They were holding hands, each wearing the light blue school shirt. Her grin widened. "You wore the shirt."

 

"I said I would." JC smiled. When he had come down the stairs before they all left, he had been teased tremendously by Tyler about the shirt. Tyler had even taken a picture of it and sent it to Lance who then had to text him ‘Welcome to the dark side'. JC had no idea what that meant. As long as he got to keep Rachel and McKenzie he was good. "You were pretty amazing today."

 

"Redemption." McKenzie smiled broadly.

 

"You certainly redeemed yourself." JC hugged her. "Proud of you." He said softly into her hair and was rewarded when she squeezed him before letting go.

 

"Where are we going for dinner?"

 

"McKenzie!"

 

"What?" McKenzie looked at her mom. "It's sort of what we do now right? Go to dinner after a meet? Except for Wednesday, but we won't talk about that. Come on. It's tradition."

 

"You and I are going to have a long talk on the way home," Rachel eyed her daughter knowing she had been maneuvered once again.

 

Karen stayed silent, knowing better than get between a mother and child. It was on the tip of her tongue to approve going out for a bite to eat. Her heart was full. She was going to take the knowledge that JC had finally found someone back to Florida. Even after only three days, she knew their relationship was going to last a lifetime. Her son had been fully adopted into the little Bass family of Rachel and McKenzie. She wasn't sure if JC even knew it.

 

"We can get pizza." McKenzie grinned. "Gotta be one of those places around here."

 

"No," Rachel shook her head. "I'm not going to sit there and watch you two eat that disgusting crap that's disguised as pizza."

 

"Not a fan of chicken bacon ranch?"

 

"Oh I am," Rachel said looking at Sarah. "Love it as a pasta dish or a casserole. Keep it off my pizza."

 

"To her pizza only has pepperoni on it." McKenzie rolled her eyes. "So lame."

 

"It's a perfectly acceptable pizza." Rachel said as they started making their way to the parking lot of their vehicles.

 

"Bor-ing," McKenzie sing songed falling into step between her mom and JC.

 

"Married by the end of the year." Tyler chuckled softly. He lifted his phone and took a picture of the family of three walking in front of them. "It's fitting C's wearing a shirt that says Bass."

 

"I was just thinking that," Karen smiled. "They have adopted him in to their family."

 

They reached Rachel's vehicle first. The rentals the Chasez gang took were a few cars down. When JC had pulled into the parking lot, he had spotted Rachel's car and tried to park as close as he could. He knew they would be walking out together.

 

"Are you guys okay with going to dinner?" Rachel asked looking at the faces gathered before her. "It's a longer drive back to JC's from here."

 

"We gotta eat. Might as well eat together." Roy said after looking at everyone seeing them nod in agreement.

 

"There's a pizza place not far from here." McKenzie was already looking at the restaurants around the school.

 

"Pizza okay with everyone?" Rachel asked. When they said it was, she took McKenzie's phone and looked where the pizza place was. She hadn't been in this area before and hoped it was easy to get to. She gave the name of the place for Heather to plug in to her phone.

 

"Ride with us JC."

 

JC looked at McKenzie's hopeful face, then to his parents who he had ridden with. Heather, Tyler, and their spouses were in the other vehicle.

 

"I'll drive," Tyler held out his hands for JC to pass over the keys to the rental. "Just give me the address."

 

"Thanks man," JC handed the keys to his brother as Tyler used his other hand to put the address to the pizza place in to his phone. "You guys ready?" He asked Rachel and McKenzie after the others made their way down the aisle to their cars.

 

"Yeah." Rachel dug in her purse and pulled out her keys. She handed them off to JC.

 

"You don't want to drive?"

 

"I hate driving everywhere all the time. If I don't have to, I'm not going to. Unless you don't want to drive?" Rachel reached for the keys back, but JC pulled them away from her grab.

 

"It's fine." He leaned forward and gave her a short peck on the lips. "Get in."

 

It was nearing 8:30 when the group finally drug themselves out of the restaurant. There were plenty of groans to go around as everyone over embellished on pizza, breadsticks, and soft drinks. They spilled into the parking lot still laughing and talking as they had all evening. McKenzie kept everyone engaged with stories, some of them embarrassing for Rachel. Of course Rachel was able to embarrass her right back. Tyler brought up old stories from the *NSYNC days. Memories that included Rachel. Some that Rachel hadn't thought about in years. Others she had completely forgotten. Multiple times during the dinner she was wiping away tears from laughing.

 

There were plenty of photos being taken. McKenzie had taken many selfies with everyone at the table. Heather had taken many photos with McKenzie bringing the table to more laughter as they took photos in quick succession doing different photo booth poses. That had caused Tyler to do the same when McKenzie happened upon him. Then JC had leaned in to their photo and more poses were done. Then they were saying goodbye in the parking lot.

 

"We're still on for Wednesday right?" Heather asked as she hugged Rachel.

 

"Definitely. I gotta drop Kenzie off at school then get ready. I'll meet you at JC's at nine." During dinner, she had planned a day at of shopping and lunch with Heather and Sarah.

 

"I don't know why I can't go," McKenzie grumbled.

 

"Because you have school."

 

"Probably learn a lot more with you guys."

 

"You have no idea," Tyler laughed, trading looks with Drew.

 

"What you would learn wouldn't be in books either," Drew laughed.

 

"Like what?" McKenzie asked.

 

"That sounds like a perfect place to say goodbye and head to the car." Rachel cut in before Tyler or Drew could answer. "Say good night Kenz."

 

"Bye." With a smile and a wave, McKenzie started walking toward the car.

 

Rachel smiled after her daughter before giving her own wave. "Bye guys. Thanks for coming."

 

"I'll be right back."

 

"Meter's running," Tyler called as JC followed Rachel and McKenzie. He laughed when JC gave him the finger.

 

It didn't take JC very long before he caught up with Rachel. He grabbed her hand, slowing her walk until he fell in to step with her. The pizza place had been tucked in a shopping plaza. Many stores were still open. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot.

 

"You didn't have to walk us to my car," she squeezed his hand. "It's a long drive back to West Hollywood."

 

"He's probably gonna try for a kiss goodnight," McKenzie teased. She yelped when JC's free arm shot out and wrapped around her neck, pulling her into his side. She stumbled against him laughing.

 

"I'm beginning to think Lance isn't the one I should be worrying about corrupting you." Rachel felt her face heat in embarrassment at McKenzie's words. It had been exactly what she had been wishing for - a good night kiss. She had been actually wishing for more, but that was impossible tonight. "Tyler has moved to the top of my list. I'd forgotten how rotten he was."

 

"I like Tyler. He's cool."

 

JC and Rachel groaned at McKenzie's words. "Do not tell him that," JC told her, loosening his hold on the teenager. He kept his arm around her shoulders and was pleased when she stayed by his side.

 

"They'll be no living with him." Rachel said as they came to her car. She dug through her purse for the keys JC had handed her when they had arrived. She hit the button on the FOB, unlocking the car. Its lights flashed as the doors unlocked. Now she wished time would slow to a crawl. It was another impossible feat. Time couldn't stop and JC couldn't come home with her.

 

"Thanks for coming JC," McKenzie went in for a hug and was rewarded when he drew her into his arms. She pressed her cheek against his chest and locked her arms around him. It was the kind of hug she had always wished for. It engulfed her. She felt safe and protected, like nothing could ever harm her. It was the same hug she had gotten earlier when she had been dismissed after the track meet to leave with her mom. There had been the pinch of medals between them when he hugged her tight and told her he was proud of her. It was the hug she had wanted on Wednesday after the disaster of a week but she hadn't known how to ask. To her horror, she felt her eyes start to water.

 

"Kenzi?" Rachel took a step forward when her daughter didn't release the hug as quick as she thought. She placed a hand on McKenzie's head, letting it trail down her neck to her back. "Are you okay?"

 

McKenzie released the hold she had on her wrist at JC's back and dropped one arm. She shifted and pulled her mom into the hug. "I'm okay," she said softly feeling JC move his arm to include Rachel in the hug. "I don't know where the tears came from."

 

"It's alright, Sweetie," Rachel slid one arm around JC's waist as he hugged them both.

 

JC hugged both Rachel and McKenzie to him. He held them tight. ‘My girls,' he thought. He pressed a kiss to the top of both their heads. His fingers caressed Rachel's back and she lifted her head from the half of his chest she occupied. When she titled her head up, he lightly kissed her lips. "Better?" He asked when McKenzie lifted her head.

 

"Yeah," McKenzie nodded. "I'm sorry."

 

"Oh no," JC shook his head. "Don't apologize. You don't ever have to apologize for needing a hug, okay?"

 

McKenzie nodded again and asked a question that was on her mind. "Can we take a picture?"

 

JC spared Rachel a glance and looked back at McKenzie. "Of course." He kept his arms around them both as McKenzie pulled her phone from the pocket of her track pants. When McKenzie held the phone up to take the photo, he pulled them closer together - closer to him. He couldn't keep his heart out of his eyes as he stared at the live image on the phone screen. In one arm he held the woman he always loved. In the other was the daughter he always wanted.

 

"You should get back," Rachel said after she unlocked the doors to her vehicle once more. As McKenzie climbed in the passenger seat, Rachel opened the driver's door and leaned in to start the vehicle.

 

"Yeah," JC wasted no time. He wrapped one arm around her waist and pulled her against him. With his other hand, he used the side of his index finger to tilt her chin up. Then tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I wish I could climb in that car with you."

 

"You don't know how much I want that," her eyes fluttered shut when he palmed her cheek. She lifted a hand, curling her fingers around his wrist. "To have you come home with us. To have you there. To crawl in bed with you. To wake up next to you."

 

"Soon," JC promised. He threaded his fingers through her hair and brought her lips to his. "Let me know when you get home." He whispered before kissing her again.

 

"You have a longer drive than I do," Rachel pointed out. She laid her head on his chest and hugged him tight. "Thank you for coming tonight."

 

"You don't have to thank me. I wanted to be here." He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and groaned. "I think I'm being paged."

 

Rachel tightened her arms around him in an effort to prolong their time together. She felt his phone vibrate against her leg and knew she had to let him go. He did have a longer drive back and it was already nearing nine. She lifted her head from his chest and accepted his lips once more in a lingering kiss. "I love you."

 

"I love you," JC brushed his fingers against her cheek. He kissed her again before he forced himself to break the hug. He put a hand on the open vehicle door and watched as she climbed in. "Drive safe and let me know when you made it."

 

"I will." Rachel smiled up at him as she pulled her seat belt on. "Bye JC."

 

"Bye." He shut the door and gave them both a wave as he watched them back from the parking spot and driving away. When they were out of sight, he walked back to where his parents were waiting.

 

"We sent the rest on." Karen explained when JC climbed into the driver's seat. "No sense in everyone waiting."

 

"Sorry," JC said pulling on his seat belt. He looked in the rearview mirror, catching his dad's gaze.

 

"No need to apologize son," Roy stated with a smile.

 

"Never apologize for that." Karen said as JC pulled from the parking spot.

 

"It's always hard to leave your family."

 

"You guys are my family." Traffic was light and JC was able to pull out of the parking lot and onto the road quickly.

 

"Yeah, but they are your family," Roy said putting emphasis on the word like it made a difference and it did.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited missionary love daddyjc postsync originalcharacter jc joey lance unclel