Lunch had been a bad idea. Rachel was so nervous there was no way she would be able to eat. She should have suggested meeting for coffee. At least she thought she'd be able to choke that down. She was running behind, thanks to traffic. JC was already waiting at the cafe. That made her feel worse.

 

Finding a parking space as close to the cafe as she could get, Rachel checked the mirror one last time. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. She was just meeting a friend for lunch. Nothing more. Telling herself that all morning hadn't worked. She was nervous.

 

Walking down the street, she wondered if she was dressed okay. Her bedroom was a disaster. She must have tried on a dozen outfits before settling on a pair of burgundy pants, paired with a cream colored flowing spaghetti strap top decorated with light pink and dark pinkish-purple flowers. Over that she had a crop jean jacket with the sleeves rolled. Black flats and a long silver necklace completed the outfit.

 

She crossed the street and the cafe came into view. It was still relatively unknown yet. People tended to flock toward the popular eateries or the ones where they had the possibility to eat next to a famous actor. She preferred obscure places the locals frequented. They were never over crowded and the food was always delicious. Unlike most cafes in downtown LA, this one didn't have a gate around the tables. The tables just sat right on the side walk welcoming anyone to come up and grab a seat.

 

Scanning the tables, she immediately saw JC. The smile grew on her face. He raised his head and noticed her. The smile he sent her caused her heart to stop. She quickly skirted the other tables as he rose from the chair. All morning she wondered how she would greet him: a handshake, a wave, a hug? Seeing him in front of her, there was no way she was not going to give him a hug.

 

"JC!" She laughed and threw her arms around his neck. "Damn, it is good to see you."

 

JC laughed and hugged Lance's twin sister to him. He was so glad she had arrived. For some reason he had been nervous she wouldn't show up, especially since she had been running late. "It's good to see you. You look amazing."

 

"Thanks," Rachel could feel a blush start to creep across her face. "I pretty much run off caffeine and sarcasm these days."

 

"And chocolate," JC grinned taking his seat after Rachel sat down.

 

Rachel groaned, giving a little laugh as she sat her purse down by her feet. "Kenzi swears I'm one hidden drawer of chocolate away from needing an intervention."

 

"You still hide the ice cream sandwiches in an empty bag of frozen broccoli?" JC's eyes twinkled as he teased her.

 

"The absolute best hiding place ever! How do you think I always managed to have candy bars on the tour bus?" Rachel's eyes sparkled. "No one ever looks twice at a bag of frozen broccoli."

 

JC laughed. "That's true."

 

"How'd you know about the broccoli bag anyway? I swore no one knew about."

 

Back before they actually started receiving the money they earned, they were all on the same bus. 5 guys crammed on a tour bus. Space was limited, especially when Melissa and Rachel joined them. Sometimes it felt like they were on top of each other. It had allowed them to grow close though. They spent every moment together.  It wasn't until they left Trans Continental for Jive Records that they started seeing the money they had truly been earning. That led them to buy two brand new tour buses.  He ended up on a bus with Justin and Chris. Joey and Lance shared the other one. "I was starving after a show and we had no food. All there was, was this bag of broccoli." He laughed as Rachel erupted into laughed. "Imagine my surprise when it wasn't broccoli but Klondike Bars. Let me tell you, those sure hit the spot better than broccoli ever would have."

 

"Oh that's too funny!" She was able to curb her laughter long enough to give her drink order to the waiter. "How'd you know they were mine?"

 

"Like anyone else was smart enough to think of that trick," JC grinned when Rachel snorted. "I made sure to restock your stash before you came back on tour."

 

"It's a wonder you guys didn't starve to death when Mel and I weren't touring with you guys."

 

"We all had our own stash of food hidden somewhere."

 

"Joey probably kept his next to his porn stash." Rachel laughed when JC choked on his drink. "Sorry." She giggled as he took his napkin wiping his mouth.

 

"Do I even want to know how you know where Joey kept his porn?"

 

"Probably not, it's not what I'd consider a conversation to be had over food." They fell silent as they browsed the menu.

 

"How long have you been in California?" JC asked after they had given their orders. He knew when she moved, Lance had shared it with them almost immediately over their group text. They used the group text to pass along information that pertained to the group and what was going on in their lives, but mostly it was used to share old photos and memories and make fun of each other. It was over the messaging that they shared updates on their families. Lance kept them updated on his parents, Stacy and her kids, and Rachel and McKenzie.

 

"Two years now. It was tough to move; leaving my parents and Stacy. Rough for Kenzi. Leaving her family and all her friends." Moving away from Mississippi had been a big decision; one that had taken her months to decide if it was the correct move for her family. It was rough on McKenzie leaving all the friends she had grown up with. It was rough on her as well. She was leaving her parents and her sister; her grandparents and other extended family. She grew up in that town. It felt like she was in a rut though. Her life was stagnant in Mississippi. It was the same thing day after day. She was living, but not really living. A change needed to be made.

 

There were no regrets moving to California. It was great living close to Lance again. She missed being able to hang out with him. It was also wonderful to be living close to Melissa again. They had plenty of good times together since she'd been in California. There had been lots of laughs and straight up shenanigans that Joey could only shake his head at.

 

"She mentioned missing everyone yesterday. It's tough having family scattered everywhere. I tried to help, explaining how I visit my folks in Florida as often as I can."

 

"So it's you I have to blame." Rachel narrowed her eyes at him.

 

"Whoa," JC held his hands up showing he was innocent. "I didn't do anything."

 

"Kenzi came home yesterday talking about spring break and going to Mississippi...what was that look?"

 

"What look? Nothing." He sighed as Rachel's eyes narrowed even further. "Fine, I just mentioned that she'd probably be able to talk you into going to Mississippi for spring break."

 

"Why would you say a thing like that?"

 

"I didn't want her to con me out of buying any more cookies than I already had! I panicked."

 

"Eh, it's not your fault. Once she has an idea in her head, she can be pretty stubborn."

 

JC smirked. "No idea where she got that from."

 

"Right?" Rachel met his eyes, grinning. "The little shit - and I mean that as nicely as possible - somehow took going to Mississippi for spring break and twisted it into going somewhere on vacation with not only my parents, but Stacy and her family, Lance and Michael, and Briahna! Then to top it all off, she called and told Leighton and Briahna all about this supposed trip."

 

JC cringed and gave a low whistle. "I bet Stacy wasn't too pleased."

 

"To say the least. Man, she called me and my ear was still ringing an hour after we hung up. Usually I get to sit back and snicker while she gives Lance an ear full."

 

"Maybe you should have blamed it on him."

 

"Ah damnit! I should have! I'll remember that for next time Kenzi pulls a stunt like this."

 

"Being only 13, you're gonna have to deal with stunts like this for awhile yet." He laughed when Rachel groaned.

 

"I'll just tell Joey to dig out those convent pamphlets he's always threatening Briahna with. Maybe we can get some sort of deal; a two for one special."

 

"He does not have pamphlets on convents," JC laughed. "You're right," he laughed harder at the look Rachel sent him. "It's Joey. Of course he does."

 

"I remember when we first moved here," Rachel chuckled, shaking her head. "Kenzi and Briahna didn't really know each other all that well yet. Mel and I just sort of threw them together. Joey was taking them somewhere and he drove by that one church on Venice Boulevard and--"

 

"He did not," JC started giggling.

 

"Kenzi came home horrified, near tears, talking about how Joey was sending Briahna away the next time she acted up." Rachel couldn't help herself laughing with JC. "Stacy had nothing on the phone call I had with Joey. Of course he spent the whole time howling in laughter."

 

"I'm surprised Kenzi ever went back to his place."

 

"Oh it took awhile. Joey finally had to apologize, telling her he was teasing. Now she practically lives there. I swear one of these days they are gonna serve me papers demanding child support."

 

Their lunch was served then and the conversation hit a lull as they dug in to their food. She heard her phone go off and she made a face. "Sorry," she told JC as she reached for her purse. She pulled her phone out and checked the screen seeing a message from Melissa. Rolling her eyes as she read it, she didn't bother to respond. She simply put her phone on silent and tucked it back in her purse. "Sorry about that. I thought I had it on silent."

 

"Something important?" JC asked and found himself hoping the answer was no and she could stay.

 

Rachel shook her head. "Just Mel telling me that I'd better be drawing and if I'm not told me what she'd do to me in no uncertain terms."

 

"Close to a deadline?" JC asked. He didn't ask what the terms were. He knew Joey's wife well enough to know to leave some things alone.

 

"Her deadline." She rolled her eyes. "The story's done. I'm working on the illustrations. Halfway done. She just wants it done so she can hem and haw over it, make me change half of them. Then make me put it all back to how I had it originally. Sometimes I want to strangle her."

 

"The books are really great Rachel."

 

Rachel beamed at him. "Thanks! Can't believe this is book 28. I never thought we'd get past the first one."

 

"Oh come on," JC nudged her foot with his. "You knew it was great; you guys just needed a little push."

 

"Well it certainly helped with you guys pushing it." Rachel smiled softly at him. It had warmed their hearts when she and Melissa saw JC, Chris, and Justin talking about their books when it was first released. "Now we get messages from your fans telling us how they read these books to their kids."

 

"Never ending cycle. How long you gonna do them?"

 

Rachel shrugged. "Probably until Mel runs out of ideas. She's the brains."

 

"You don't give yourself enough credit. Mel may write the story, but you brought them to life in kids' mind." JC told her earnestly. "With your drawings you helped kids imagine a blue penguin in a white tuxedo being an international super spy or going into a monster's castle to get a soccer ball."

 

Rachel stared at JC in silence. She was flabbergasted how he easily spoke of the storylines in a couple of their books. She was certain the soccer ball one had been one of the first books released. Her lips twitched as she fought a smile. "Do you read our books?" She chuckled seeing JC blush.

 

"I haven't read them all." JC said, his face on fire from a blush. "I do have them all though."

 

"You have all our books?" Rachel asked surprised.

 

"Yeah. Gotta support you guys."

 

"C, you're the best," Rachel reached across the table and squeezed his hand. "I can't believe you bought 28 children books."

 

"It's not that big of a deal," JC shrugged, trying not to feel the loss when Rachel pulled her hand back. "I support all the guys in what they do. I've known you as long as I've known Lance. Mel a little longer. You're family. Why wouldn't I support you?"

 

Rachel felt warmth spread through her. JC hadn't changed over the years. He had always been the most supportive of any projects the guys took part in. "Thanks JC. That means a lot. Though," she quirked an eyebrow. "Does that mean you have a shelf full of Mel's books?"

 

"It does."

 

Rachel chuckled. "It's a good thing she doesn't write trashy romance novels."

 

"Thank God," JC laughed. He'd buy the books to show his support, but he'd probably keep them in a box somewhere hidden from view. He knew the type of covers those books had. "Congratulations on the TV deal. Joey couldn't wait to share it when it happened."

 

"That's mostly Mel," Rachel said before taking a drink.

 

"Yeah but you have a say in some of the creative stuff right?" JC leaned back, allowing the waiter to take away his plate and watched as he cleared away Rachel's.

 

"A little," Rachel shrugged. "It's really Mel's deal. It's her creation..."

 

"Yeah but you created them. You drew them, brought them to life." JC could feel himself being offended for Rachel.

 

"JC, it's really okay. I didn't want to be part of the series. I don't want to work with industry people. I just..." she shook her head, warding off bad memories. "I'd rather stay behind the scenes. I will do the illustrations for the series as long as we do them. Mel overseas the TV thing. She knows I don't want anything to do with it. She almost didn't accept the deal because of it. It took everything I had to make her see she'd be an idiot if she turned it down. There was a lot of legalese and lawyering, but my name is on the series. Mel would only take the deal if it was 50-50. So even though she's the head, I get the same. I don't think that's fair, but she wouldn't take the deal any other way."

 

"That's good. I hate to hear you were taken advantage of," JC let himself relax at the news. He had been worried that no one had been on Rachel's side during negotiations and she'd been taken advantage of. In his opinion, Rachel deserved every thing that Melissa did when it came to the series. There wouldn't be a series without either one of them. While she had been around the entertainment industry early on, she had never been privy to the underground workings. There was a much sinister and dirty side that a lot of people kept hidden. People tended to focus on the polished and bright outcome. He didn't want her to be tainted by that dark side.

 

"Lance read over every piece of paper before I signed anything. He came to every meeting."

 

"Good," JC said knowing Lance wouldn't allow his sister to be used or given a bad deal. "That's good."

 

"What about you?"

 

JC blinked, caught off guard at the question. "What about me?"

 

"We spent the whole time talking about me."

 

"I didn't mind." JC winked.

 

"Come on JC," Rachel felt herself blushing again. "What have you been doing? Where have you been hiding? Why don't I hear you on the radio?"

 

JC squirmed in his seat, breaking eye contact. He was more than happy to keep their conversation on her. He enjoyed hearing all about her. Her life was more interesting than his was. "Ah, no one wants to hear my shit."

 

Rachel scoffed. "Oh come on! What about a few months ago when you did that one song for that sorority? Lance sang your praises the entire day."

 

"Just doing a favor for a friend," JC shrugged, brushing it off.

 

She narrowed her eyes. "Why do you think no one wants to hear you?"

 

"I don't really want to talk about it." There were still so many emotions he had surrounding his music and everything that happened. He preferred to just shove it down and forget about it.

 

"But why? I just don't understand why you aren't making music and putting it out there. You would blow everyone away on the radio. You've got so much talent..."

 

"I don't want to talk about it." JC snapped.

 

Rachel's jaw snapped shut. There so many emotions on JC's face and she dropped her head, looking down at the table. She threaded her fingers on her lap and pressed her lips together. "I'm sorry, JC; I shouldn't have pushed." She had no idea what caused her to keep harping on JC's singing career. She'd seen JC's demeanor change when she mentioned singing but she just kept pushing. She, of all people, knew all about off limit topics. The afternoon had been going so well too. Then she blew it. "Maybe I should go..."

 

JC sighed and pushed his bottled up emotions away. He rubbed his face and sighed. "No, stay." He said, watching as Rachel met his eyes. "Please. I shouldn't have snapped."

 

"No I shouldn't have..." she stopped when JC held a hand up.

 

"It's okay," he sent her a smile. "Apparently I have some issues to work out."

 

"Don't we all."

 

"I do a lot of behind the scenes stuff. Like you, I like it. I write a lot and produce. I actually am in the process of cutting a track that will be on Smokey Robinson's new CD."

 

"Really?" Rachel gasped, the earlier tension forgotten. "What song? Or can't you say?"

 

"My Girl."

 

"Really?" Rachel squealed. "I love that song!"

 

JC grinned, laughing at Rachel's reaction. "Really. I did the track with Smokey, Miguel, and Aloe Blacc."

 

"Oh JC, that's so awesome. I can't wait to hear it!"

 

"I've also just started working with John Popper. His next album is gonna be a collaboration with a bunch of different artists." He explained.

 

"Producing?"

 

JC nodded. "Yeah. Also providing vocals on another song."

 

"That's really awesome JC," Rachel told him truthfully. "I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to hear these songs. I'm sure they are great."

 

"Thanks."

 

The conversation continued over the afternoon. They laughed and reminisced over old memories. JC talked about his parents and siblings still living in Florida and how they were doing. She'd been happy to hear they were doing well and that both Heather and Tyler were married now. She shared stories of their first weeks living in the LA area. Some had caused JC to double over in laughter. When the conversation had lulled, she looked at the watch on her wrist and gasp.

 

"Oh damn! It's after 3!" She leaned down and grabbed her purse, pulling her phone out.

 

"You're kidding?" JC pulled his phone from his front pants pocket where it had been the entire time. He hadn't felt the urge to look at his phone once. He'd been entertained by the conversation. He and Rachel never had a problem keeping a conversation going. Topics had just come to them. There was also a lot of time where they didn't talk at all, just sat quietly in the same room doing their own thing but comforted by the fact the other person was there. His screen lit up, revealing the time. It was indeed after 3. They had been sitting there talking for over 3 hours. "Oh man, you have to pick Kenzi up." He had completely forgotten. He wasn't sure the school she attended, but he knew how far away Rachel was from home. She'd never make it in time.

 

Rachel quickly sent out a text message to Melissa asking her grab Kenzi from track practice. Melissa sent her a thumbs up. Her friend was used to last minute school picks up. Usually because Rachel would get lost in her art and lost track of time. She sent Kenzi a message letting her know the change before dropping the phone back in her purse. "I can't believe I lost track of time."

 

"Doesn't seem like it's been that long." JC said. The bill had already been paid. They squabbled over it for a bit before Rachel relented, letting him pay. He had provided a generous tip for taking up the table for longer than anticipated.

 

"It doesn't." Rachel smiled at him. "Surprised they didn't kick us out."

 

"You get Kenzi taken care of?" JC asked, standing when Rachel stood.

 

"Yeah, Mel's gonna pick her up from track. I'll be home in time to take her to piano. I hope.'

 

"She plays the piano?" JC asked. His hand touched the small of her back as he guided her around the table and chairs as they made their way from the cafe.

 

"Yeah, started when she was 6." Rachel told him as they walked down the sidewalk to her car. He fell in step beside her. "She enjoys it. She's really good too," she couldn't stop bragging on her daughter. "I can barely play ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb'."

 

JC laughed. "Better student than you, then?"

 

Rachel laughed. "Oh yeah." JC had tried teaching her when they were bored and had down time. She had taken lessons when she was younger, but it had been so long she'd forgotten most of what she learned. It hadn't taken them long to realize the piano wasn't in her repertoire. 

 

All too soon they arrived at her vehicle. The afternoon was over. She shuffled her feet, hoping to prolong the goodbye, but she knew she had to leave. There was no telling how bad traffic would be.

 

"This was fun JC," she looked at him with a smile. "I had a great time."

 

"Me too," he reached out opening the door for her, watching as she put her purse on the driver's seat. He wanted to start up another conversation to keep their afternoon from ending, but he knew she had to get back.

 

"How about we don't wait so long next time?" Rachel asked, her eyes twinkling.

 

JC laughed. "A decade does seem a bit long."

 

"Maybe we should make it five instead?" Rachel teased causing JC to chuckle and shake his head. They were stuck in the awkward end phase. She didn't want to say goodbye. He wasn't quick with a ‘see ya later' either. That made her feel good. She was crunched for time though. "I'll see you later?"

 

"Yeah, yeah," JC nodded stepping back away from the door so she could climb in and pull it closed. She surprised him by not doing just that. Instead she moved to him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

 

"Seriously, I had a great time." She said, feeling his arms go around her waist.

 

"Me too," JC squeezed her before making himself let her go.

 

"Don't be a stranger." Before she could talk herself out of it, she pressed her lips against his cheek. "Bye."

 

"Bye," he waved as she backed from the parking spot and left. He shook his head in disbelief not expecting the kiss. A smile grew on his face and he chuckled softly as he made his way back to his own vehicle.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited missionary love daddyjc postsync originalcharacter jc joey lance unclel