December 21st

Emma slid the baking sheet out of the oven and rested it on the stovetop.  She pulled her oven mitt off as she glanced at the clock.  “Parker,” she called out, as she looked over at her son.  He had his eyes glued to the television staring at the weather report.  “You should head upstairs and change.  It’s almost time for us to leave.”

“But, Dad’s still not home.  He’s going to miss me in the show, isn’t he?”  He pouted as he crossed his arms with disappointment.  “Mom, he always misses everything.” 

She slipped her hands behind her back to untie her apron and gave him a reassuring smile.  “Your Dad is not going to miss your holiday concert.  He’s probably working really hard so he can take more time off for the holiday.  He’ll head straight to the school and meet us when we get there.  Now head up and get changed so we make it on time.” 

He looked at her curiously.  “Mom, do you think the baby can hear music?”

She slid her hands over her pregnancy bump and smiled, “I sure hope so.  When you were in here, your father used to sing to you all the time.”

“Do you think that’s why I like to sing?”

She smiled, “You’re a Chasez.  I’m pretty sure it’s in your genes!”

“My jeans?”  He looked down at his pants with confusion. 

She laughed, “Not that kind of jeans, but that reminds me that it is time for you to change your clothes.  Upstairs, Parker James.” 

He nodded as he scurried up the stairs to his room. 

**

JC sat at his desk, frantically reviewing e-mails as a sound-byte played in the background.  Through the glass doors of his office he could see the large staff Christmas gathering.  He was too concerned with tying up loose ends before leaving to partake in the celebrations.  His focus was interrupted as his door opened and he heard the blaring music from the lobby.

Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

At the Christmas Party Hop

Mistletoe hung where you can see

Every couple tries to stop

“Mr. Chasez?” his assistant looked at him quizzically.  “Did you hear the phone ringing?”

He looked up, “Oh, Andrea, could you please hold my calls?  I have to get through this so I can leave on time.”

“I know, but it’s your wife on line three for you.”

He looked at his watch and nodded, “Thank you.”  He picked up the phone and hit the line.  “Hi honey, how are you?”

“JC, where are you?”  He could tell from her tone that Emma was annoyed.

“I know tonight is Parker’s school concert.  Don’t worry, I’ll meet you there.  I promise.”

Emma sighed, “Please, JC.  I know work is busy, but Parker really wants you to be here for this.”

“Don’t worry honey.  I’m going to make it.”

**

JC sighed as he sat in gridlocked traffic on the highway.  The concert was starting in eight minutes and the school was roughly fifteen minutes away.  He checked his rearview mirror and groaned.  Peering over his shoulder cautiously, he pulled into the breakdown lane.  He grinned to himself as he cruised through and headed towards the exit.  “I am going to make it.  I am going to make it,” he chanted to himself.  He was just about to make the turn for the exit ramp when he heard sirens and saw police car lights heading towards him.  “Damn it!  I am not going to make it.”

He pulled over and put the car into park as he fidgeted in anticipation of the police officer approaching his car. 

“License and registration, please,” the officer said as he pulled out a notepad. 

“Sir, I’m in a huge hurry.  I am late for my son’s holiday concert and I promised him I’d be there.”

The police officer slid his sunglasses up and raised an eyebrow at him.  “I do apologize if I’ve caused you some sort of a delay by pulling you over.  How thoughtless of me.  The last thing I would want would be to inconvenience you, Sir.” The cop’s sarcasm made JC immediately regret his words.

“I’m sorry officer, I didn’t mean to offend you.  It’s just…my son…”

“Step out of the vehicle.”

“Uh, really?  I know you’re going to give me a ticket, but why do I…”

“Step out of the vehicle.  Please walk in a straight line.”

JC sighed as he saw that the show had started three minutes ago.  He walked in straight line, praying no one with a camera would snap a shot of him and send it to a tabloid.  “Are we done now?  I haven’t had anything to drink, if that’s what you were…”

“Recite the alphabet, backwards.” 

JC felt his mind whirling, “Z, Y, X…”

**

He let out a long sigh as he saw the empty elementary school parking lot.  “I didn’t make it.”  He knew he’d be late.  But missing the whole thing wasn’t what he had planned.  He rested his head on the steering wheel knowing that he’d have to face a very disappointed son when he finally made it home. 

**

He headed into the house, feeling tense as his exhaustion hit him.  He met Emma’s gaze in the kitchen. 

She crossed her arms at the sight of him.  “Do you know what time it is, Josh?”

He sighed and stuck his hands into his pockets.  “Honey, you should have seen the traffic.  It was a parking lot out there.  I was pulled over and got a ticket and-“

She put her hand up.  “Don’t explain it to me.  It wasn’t my concert that you missed.”  She motioned to the family room where Parker was watching television in his pajamas.

“Hey, PJ,” JC said, sitting down next to him. 

Parker ignored him and kept his focus on the television in front of him.  The Weather Channel was reporting on a major winter storm that was going to be hitting the East Coast in time for Christmas.    

“Look champ, about your concert tonight.  I really wanted to be there and I tried really hard.  It wasn’t my fault that I missed it.”

Parker pressed his lips together, but said nothing.

“I hear you’re giving your old man a run for his money with those vocal chords of yours and some of the parents video-taped the whole show so I am going to make sure I see all of it.”  JC looked over at Emma, who was listening while she washed dishes in the sink. 

Parker quietly sat, absorbing what his father had said.  When he was ready he cleared his throat a little.  “Dad, the thing is that you always say that you wanted to be there and it wasn’t your fault, but you never come.  This concert was really important to me.  All my other friends’ Dads were there.”    

“I saw your basketball game last weekend,” JC offered.

Parker rolled his eyes, “Well, you didn’t come until half-time and you missed my three-pointer.”

JC settled down next to him on the couch.  “You’re right, Parker.  Work has been really tough lately, but it’s not an excuse to miss all of these important moments with you.  I really am sorry.  How can I make it up to you?” 

His son looked at him strangely, “What do you mean how?”

JC grinned, “How about I do something special for you?  Is there something you have been wanting for Christmas?” 

PJ shook his head, “Dad, don’t worry about it.  I got it covered – I wrote to Santa.”

JC nodded, “Right, of course.  But, Santa sometimes gets really busy and Moms and Dads try to help out when they can.”

He shook his head, “No, Dad.  It’s not really a big deal, I think Santa is going to come through on this one.  The Weather Channel seems to already be showing signs of it.”  Parker had always been fascinated with the weather and was usually dissatisfied with the lack of variation in Los Angeles weather patterns. 

“Come on PJ, what do you want for Christmas?”

His eyes lit up, “Snow!’

JC looked at him with a perplexed face, “What do you mean snow?”

“Everybody on the East Coast is going to have a white Christmas.  I always wanted one!  I want to go sledding and make a snowman and drink cocoa and then open Christmas presents.  That sounds amazing!”

JC smiled, “It does feel more like Christmas when you’re in the East then when you’re out here in California.  There’s not much of a chance of snow in our yard.  But, we’re visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Maryland for Christmas.”

Parker nodded, “Yes and see, the weather report says that it is going to snow in Maryland!  Santa made the storm happen.”

“That Santa is pretty awesome.  Since I can’t make it snow, how about I provide you with all of the cold-weather items you are going to need to enjoy it?  Sleds, tubes, the whole works!  I promise that you and I are going to build a snow fort on Christmas day, Parker!”

His son jumped up in response.  “Thanks Dad!  I love you!”

“I love you, too, Parker.  Now, head on upstairs and get ready for bed.”

**


“Did you see us bonding, Emma?  He was so excited about snow.  Our son is a constant surprise,” he smiled as he changed out of his work clothes and let out a yawn. 

“That reminds me.  What is your plan if it doesn’t snow while we’re there?” she asked. 

He shook his head, “It is going to snow.  Worst case scenario, I will take him up to a ski resort or something so he can play around in it.”  He slipped into his pajamas and settled on to the bed. 

“Well, I’m glad you have it all figured out.  He just wants you around more,” she sighed, leaning her head onto his shoulder.  “We both do.”

He laced his fingers with hers and kissed the top of her head.  “I know I have been neglecting both of you lately, but I am putting an end to it.  I love the two of you,” he slid his hand over her stomach, “Well, three of you now, more than anything.” 

She placed the palm of her hand over his.  “I just wish you could find a way to do what you love and be with the ones you love.  There has to be some balance, JC.  Parker is half-way through third-grade now and this little one is going to really shake things up around here.  There are going to be so many firsts I do not want you to miss.” 

“How do you always manage to be so sexy when you put me in my place?” he laughed, running his fingers up her arm. 

She grinned, “Lots of practice.”  She repositioned herself so she was upright.  “Really though, I am due in eight weeks.  Sexy isn’t the first adjective that comes to mind…”

He shook his head, “Pregnancy agrees with you, Emma.  You are glowing.  It is such a turn-on.”  He cupped her chin and pulled her to him, kissing her deeply.  Her cheeks flushed in response. 

“Well, at least we won’t have any surprises since I am already with child,” she chuckled as he pulled at her nightgown.   

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love challenge daddyjc postsync originalcharacter christmas producerjc pregnant