December 22nd

The smell of pumpkin wafted through the hallway as JC made his way to the plate of pumpkin pancakes waiting for him on the kitchen table.  “My favorite,” he beamed as he grabbed a fork. 

Parker bounded down the stairs dressed with his coat on.  “Come on, Dad.  Hurry – we have to get to the Christmas parade!” 

“I promise I will eat these very quickly,” he said and dug into his food.

“Mom, we are going to meet Mikey there, right?”

Emma nodded, “Yes, Mikey and his Mom are there – Sarah promised to save us spots real close.”

JC finished chewing before speaking up.  “Plus, I can put you on my shoulders so you have the best view in the city.”

**

“Dad!  Look, there goes Snoopy!”  Parker was in awe of the floats as they moved by their spot on the sidewalk. 

Sarah and Emma were catching up while the boys took in the sights of the parade.  Emma suddenly put her hand to her side and grimaced.  “Emma, are you alright?” Sarah asked with concern.

“I think I am having contractions,” she exhaled.  “Sarah, could you watch Parker for us?  I think I should go to the hospital.”

Sarah nodded, “Yes, of course.  I’ll stay here with the kids and then take Parker back to our house.  Call me and keep me updated.”

“JC, honey,” Emma nudged him and whispered, “I need to go to the hospital.”

“What’s wrong?” he asked with concern.

“I think I am having contractions.”

He slid Parker off of his shoulders and knelt down so he was eye-to-eye with him.  “Parker, Mom isn’t feeling well so we are going to take her to the doctor.  You stay here with Mikey and his Mom, okay?  You can hang out at their house when the parade is over.”

Parker nodded, “Okay.  Mom, feel better.”

**

JC carefully helped Emma into their bedroom by the arm.  “Alright, let’s get some comfortable pajamas for you to change into.”  He pulled open the top dresser drawer to rifle through. 

She sighed as she slowly starting undressing herself.  “I cannot believe I have to be on bed rest for the duration of this pregnancy.  Eight weeks in bed?  After a few hours I am sure I will already be restless.”

He handed her a sweatshirt.  “Just make sure you are comfortable.  We are going to make this work, Emma.  I have the week off for Christmas so in the meantime I will be here to take care of you and Parker.”

“I just feel like I am ruining Christmas.  You two have to go to Maryland and see the family.  I will skype or something.  Plus, we were supposed to go to Florida afterwards to see your family and spend New Year’s with them.  This whole thing is a disaster.”  She pulled the sweatshirt over her head and pulled her hair out of her ponytail as she settled onto the bed. 

“Emma, you are being ridiculous.  Parker and I are having Christmas with you – we are not going to leave you all alone here.  We can see the grandparents after the holidays.”  He handed her an extra pillow to help ease her back against the headboard. 

“I just have so much to do and I feel a little helpless.  At least I am allowed to get up to shower and use the restroom – that would definitely be the breaking point,” she sighed. 

“So what are these things you need to do?  I can take care of it,” he said. 

“Well…I need to finish Christmas shopping.  Then there’s the cooking and the cleaning and getting Parker around.  Maybe we should get someone to help-“

“-Emma, I can do this.  I will take care of all of it.  Let’s get you situated and then I will call Sarah.  She said she’d drop off Parker around dinner time.  We will explain everything to him and take it from there.”

She nodded with sadness, “He just really wanted to be in Maryland for Christmas to play in the snow.  I feel so bad, Josh.”

“We have to get you feeling better first, Em.  I do not want to see you feeling down like this three days before Christmas.  Now, let me grab the things around the house you should have within reach.”  He quickly gathered what he could, including her laptop and phone, tissues and lip balm, books and magazines. 

“You’re being really amazing,” she held his hand and giggled slightly.  “When the Doctor says that we are allowed to have sex again I am definitely going to make this up to you.”

“Maybe we can spend that time in bed all day by choice,” he smiled. 

**

Sarah dropped off Parker and JC met him at the door to fill him in on Emma’s condition.

“So, listen PJ, Mom isn’t feeling so well.  So, we are going to stay here for Christmas.  I know you had you wanted to see your grandparents and all of that so I will make sure we get out there real soon.”  He nervously awaited Parker’s reaction. 

Parker nodded, “That’s okay, Dad.  My baby sister is more important than snow.”

“Mom has to stay in bed for a while,” he said.

“Dad, is Mom grounded?” he asked, confused.

JC laughed, “No, she just has to lie down so that she and the baby feel better and get some rest.”

“Oh, okay.  Can I go in and see her?”

JC nodded, “I’m going to cook dinner.”

“Cook?  What do you mean cook?”  Parker furrowed his brows. 

“Parker, I can cook.”

Parker laughed loudly, “You can order pizza, Dad.  Or microwave something.”

JC shook his head, “I am quite capable of feeding you and your Mom.  How about grilled cheese?”

Parker scrunched his nose.  “I guess I trust you to make that okay.”  He headed upstairs to the master bedroom.  “Mom?  Are you doing okay?”

She looked up, “Yeah, thanks Parker.  Did Dad tell you about Christmas?”

He nodded, “We are going to stay here.”  He went around the bed and hopped up onto the other side. 

“I’m sorry Parker, I know you wanted to have snow on Christmas,” she sighed, fighting back a sob.

“Mom, don’t worry about it.  My baby sister and you are a lot more important than snow.”

She fought back tears as she slipped her arm around him.  “When did you become so wise?”

“I think it was somewhere around kindergarten, Mom.  Can I watch a movie with you while Dad finishes making dinner?”

She looked at him strangely.  “What did you say?”

“Dad is making dinner.”

She let out a laugh, “Pizza or Chinese?”

He shook his head, “He is attempting to make grilled cheese.”

JC poked his head in, “My attempt was a success!”  He presented two plates of grilled cheese sandwiches from behind his back. 

Parker cocked his head at his father.  “I can eat in here?”

JC nodded, “We are going to have dinner with your mother.”  He retreated to the kitchen and returned with a tablecloth which he laid on the bed, as well as a third plate for himself. 

Parker snapped his fingers.  “Oh, this is like a picnic.” He took a bite of his sandwich, “Dad, this is pretty good.” 

Emma smiled, “Very good.” 

JC smiled with satisfaction as he took a bite of his own, “I can handle this.”

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love challenge daddyjc postsync originalcharacter christmas producerjc pregnant