December 23rd

“Alright, Parker, you and I have quite the two-do list today to prepare for Christmas.”

“What do we need to do?”  Parker slid into a stool at the kitchen counter. 

“Well, we have to make these Christmas cookies.”  JC held the recipe card in his hand and attempted to assemble the necessary ingredients. 

Parker sighed, “Dad, the grilled cheese sandwiches were good and all, but I think making cookies is a little out of your league.”

JC shook his head, “Baking is easy, we just have to follow the recipe…”

Parker laughed as he took the mixing bowl and the flour and moved it in front of him.  “Okay, Dad, whatever you say…”

An hour later, the two had successfully managed to put one batch of cookies in the oven.  They were sloppy and strange looking, but the batter tasted pretty good.  Parker believed that this meant they had at least put the right amount of ingredients in and that their ugly cookies would taste right. 

JC looked slightly disappointed as he watched the cookies baking.  “I don’t get it – we followed the recipe just right.” 

“Dad, don’t worry – icing can hide anything.”

**

JC and Parker came into the bedroom, stirring Emma from a nap.  “Where do you think?” JC asked him.  Emma looked at them both with confusion. 

“Over there!  Yes, over there!” Parker pointed to the corner near the window.

“What are you two talking about?” she asked, groggily. 

“Mom, you’ll see.”

A few moments later, JC returned with the Christmas tree from the family room.  He had taken the ornaments and garland, but kept the lights on.  He hauled it into the corner of the bedroom and plugged it in, relieved when it was relit.  Parker followed behind him with the garland and the two furiously wrapped the garland back around it until the tree was fully dressed.  The two left the room again and came back in lugging a large box containing all of the ornaments from the tree.  Parker went to work unwrapping all of them and JC started hanging them back on the tree. 

Parker stood back, examining their work.  “Well, what do you think Mom?”

“I think it looks even more beautiful than it did in the other room.  What made you two decide to move it in here?”

JC looked up from the tree.  “Emma, we are spending Christmas in here with you.  We are not going to sit in the family room without you.” 

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love challenge daddyjc postsync originalcharacter christmas producerjc pregnant