We arrived at a house in the suburbs of Westchester County about almost two hours later.  The snowstorm showed no signs of letting up as we unpacked the car and headed to the front door.  Joey’s mother, Phyllis, greeted us at the door. 

“Thanks so much for arranging this,” Justin said, giving her an appreciative hug.  The rest of us filed in and we took off our coats and shoes and headed into the living room where a toasty fire in the fireplace was lit.  

“It’s our pleasure to have you all here right before the holiday.  Merry Christmas,” she said.  “Emma, sweetheart, I’m so glad that you came with the boys and Heather.  We’re happy to have you!”

Kelly made her way downstairs, “Hi, everyone.”  Joey gave her a big hug and she told him Brianna was sleeping. 

“Okay, time for Bromas!”  Chris clapped.  “Ladies, we must ask you to head upstairs while we prepare the festivities.”

Heather raised an eyebrow, “Seriously?”

Kelly laughed, “Seriously.  They are very particular about their traditions.”  Mrs. Fatone handed us each a mug of hot cider and we followed direction, heading upstairs.  We settled into the family room, wrapped in blankets in our seats as we turned on It’s A Wonderful Life

“Emma,” Heather said, looking up from her seat, “My brother likes you, you know.”

I felt my cheeks redden at the mention of him, reliving the events of last night again in my head.  Kelly looked at both of us curiously.  “What am I missing?”  Heather looked at me, seeking my approval before continuing with the story.  I nodded reluctantly.

“Well, Emma came to his room last night to tell him that she has feelings for him.  But, of course, she didn’t know I was visiting.  I totally ruined the moment.”

Kelly brought her hand to her cheek, “Aw, Em.  So what did he say to you?”

I sighed, “We haven’t actually spoken a word to each other since the incident.”

“Well, maybe being snowed in here together will bring some sort of resolution.”

Heather smiled, “He does like you.  My brother is just…he has issues properly communicating his feelings.  He is a talented songwriter, but he has some serious learning opportunities when it comes to having a real conversation with someone.”

Kelly turned to her.  “So, Heather, why did you visit the guys in London when you knew you would see JC so soon for Christmas?”  Her eyes lit up slightly.  “Were you really doing what I think you were doing?” 

It was Heather’s turn to blush.  “Well, sort of.  I guess we are just figuring things out.  It’s nothing very serious.”

“You have to tell him!  You can’t keep hiding this from your brother – he is going to find out that you are seeing Justin.  I don’t see why you just don’t tell him.  JC is not going to like that the two of you were sneaking around behind his back.”

My eyes widened.  Heather and Justin were seeing each other?  And JC didn’t know? 

Chris interrupted us, scampering up the stairs like a child.  “We’re READY!”

**

We made our way back down the stairs and were in awe of the decorations in the living room.  In just about an hour, the guys had managed to redecorate the whole room.  They had put up a tree and decked it out in lights, garland and ornaments.  It looked fantastic.  There was also lights and garland over the fireplace mantel and stockings with each of their names hanging.  The aroma of gingerbread and cinnamon was coming from the kitchen, where Justin was taking out batches of cookies from the oven.  Lance had set up a decorating station and was hard at work icing each one. 

Joey emerged from the other room in a full Santa Clause suit, beard and all.  “Ho ho ho,” he chuckled.  “Who’s ready for Secret Santa?”

Everyone migrated to the sofas in the living room in anticipation.  We were experiencing Bromas firsthand.  Every year they guys had Secret Santa with each other, exchanging silly gifts with a $20 limit. 

“Now, let’s see.  Who should get their gift first?” Joey reached underneath the tree for one of the presents.  “Come on up and sit on Santa’s knee, Justin.” 

Justin rolled his eyes, but obliged.  “To Justin, from Chris,” he said aloud.  He cautiously opened the paper and laughed as he unwrapped a fleece bathrobe with polar bears on it.  “Chris, how did you know it was exactly what I wanted?”  His tone was sarcastic, but he stood up and proudly modeled it as he slid it on. 

“Very nice.  Okay, Chris.  Your turn to sit on Santa’s knee,” Joey snickered. 

Chris rubbed his hands together with excitement before snatching the present out of Joey’s arms.  He ripped the wrapping paper off without hesitation and whistled at the sight before him.  Lance had given him a bb gun.  Seriously, what was he thinking?  “Lance, this is awesome!  I am going to have SO much fun playing with this.  I feel just like Ralphie in A Christmas Story.”

Lance smiled, “Just promise me you will never ever shoot that thing at me.  You might poke my eye out!”

“Alright, you’re up.  Come on down, Lance.”  Joey grabbed a bag from underneath the tree. 

Lance read the tag, “From Joey.”  He slid his hand into the tissue paper, pulling out something flat and square.  “Oh my, a Cats wearing Hats calendar.  Well, that’s cute and frightening at the same time.” 

Joey laughed, “I thought you might react that way.  Reach back in there, there’s something else.”

Lance pulled out the rest of the tissue. “Ah, ten dollars worth of scratch-off lottery tickets, very nice.  Thanks Joe.”

“That’s my cue to open my own present,” Joey said, with excitement.  He grabbed a box from underneath the tree and slowly unwrapped the paper.  “Is this…what I think this is?”

JC chuckled, “Yes, it is.”

Joey revealed a red and white striped onesie.  “This is definitely what Santa is going to wear after this – this is hilarious.  Thanks JC!”

JC smiled, “You’re welcome, Joey.  I suppose that means my gift is last.”

Joey nodded, handing him the last present and motioning for him to come and get it.  JC surveyed the room, realizing that it must be Justin who was his Secret Santa.  He unwrapped the package and nodded, “A bottle of organic wine, that’s awesome.  Justin, thank you so much.”

Justin looked over at Heather.  “You should really thank Heather.  She helped me pick it out.”

JC looked at them both with curiosity.  His eyes flicked from one to the other and moved back again in the same motion.  “Thanks, Sis.”  Justin put his arm around Heather’s shoulder affectionately and the two looked at JC, seeking his approval. 

JC smiled at them, “You had better treat each other right.”

“Who wants cookies?” Chris asked the group, getting up and changing the subject.  Everyone made their way towards the kitchen. 

Lance smacked his hand with a spatula, “Ladies first, Chris.”  He offered each of us cookies before finally allowing Chris to have his fix. 

It was unplanned, but I was enjoying this detour with the guys for Bromas.  It was entertaining and it certainly spread holiday cheer.   Maybe this snowstorm was fate.  I felt JC’s hand on my shoulder and turned around as I took a bite out of a gingerbread cookie. 

“Emma, could we go to the other room?” he asked with a very nervous expression on his face. I nodded and followed him down the hall to a room with a piano.  “I know we haven’t really had a chance to talk, but I…”  I leaned in, waiting to see what he would say with my pulse racing in anticipation.  “…I wanted to give you your Christmas present.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” I said, shaking my head. 

“Emma, I wrote you a song,” he said, shyly.  “Is it okay if I play a bit of it for you?”

My eyes widened.  “Oh, um, alright…”

He sat down on the piano bench and motioned for me to sit beside him.  I sat nervously, with my arms folded in my lap.  He started to sing softly with his eyes closed as his fingers trailed across the keys. 

Knocked unconscious, walking on water

‘Cause I’m thinking of you

Thinking of you, thinking of you

And don’t you know that love’s intoxicating and I need the abuse

Need the abuse

Because I’m endlessly falling

And we’re destiny calling, what you’re making me do

Destiny calling, what you’re making me do

It’s all because I lose myself in you

All because I lose myself in you

He stopped playing, and turned to look at me. 

“JC, that’s beautiful.”  I shook my head.  “It’s..incredible.”

“It’s called Lose Myself.  Emma, I lose myself when I’m around you.  I really do.  I am not the best at telling someone how I feel or taking risks, but I had written this about you for your birthday.  Then I was terrified of playing it for you so I kept it to myself.  But since you went ahead and told me how you felt, well I…I feel the same way.  I think we should try and make this thing between us a real relationship.”  He leaned in, cupping my chin as he brought his lips to mine for a gentle kiss.  He pulled back and smiled at me, “What do you say?”

“Yes, of course.”  I wrapped my arms around him. 

He smiled, “This is turning into a very merry Bromas.”

I laughed, “I think I am in love with the tradition of Bromas.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited boyfriendj love tourj challenge celebrityj hotelj daddyjc lyrics brotherlylove celebritysync postsync originalcharacter christmas daddyjoey vacation